Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Pacific Rim

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pacific Rim Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 2:06:50 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 2:35:04 PM   
sroey

Can't wait for this film. Although Its slightly odd its not available to book in advance yet considering its released Friday...

Big summer film overload?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 3:24:13 PM   
Gene Parmesan

Am not a GdT fanboy or apologist but 3 stars for this and 4 for the Lone Ranger??? Have not seen this but the Lone Ranger was bloody awful...if this is a star "lower" than that then this has to be sheer concussive hell...

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 3
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 3:48:38 PM   
elab49

It has some fair points but

- there's at least one spoiler in there that I think is a bit unfair
- there's never any doubt who's won a battle and the grades of opponent linked to fighting techniques/decisions are never confused IMO
- Raleigh is pretty much the very definition of a non-maverick, which fits in with the conceit of being able to use The Drift
- I completely disagree about the geography of the destruction being hard to follow. In contrast to trash like Transformers. I think that's particularly clear in one large battle mid-film

Dialogue and character is indeed thinly drawn but not enough IMO to justify what seems, from the review, like a low 3. It's competent at least. And then there's Max. And there's barely a mention of the monsters themselves, which is curious - one in particular I found to be a very impressive creation and, in the city fight where the geography never got confused, seamlessly integrated into the cityscape

For me, a 3.5-4 - if made to choose a 4 star simply because I thoroughly enjoyed it, even on the bum-numbing seats of the cinema I saw it in.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gene Parmesan)
Post #: 4
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 5:37:51 PM   
jencat

It's going to play to taste, but I didn't hear anything particularly critical from anyone coming out of the preview I saw at the weekend. I don't honestly think the characters/dialogue are worse than, say, Avatar (certainly not Transformers), and equally the battle scenes and worldbuilding are so overwhelmingly brilliant that you can forgive the weaknesses quite easily. It's not really funny or quotable, but hey, not everything can be written by Whedon or Shane Black. The direction and editing and plot all hang together just fine... it's literally just characters painted with very broad strokes that don't quite impress as much as the rest of the film.  And to me, the rest of the film makes it four stars easily.

All the hype has been about seeing giant robots having smackdowns with giant monsters, and yep, it delivers on that in every way you could want. It's freaking gorgeous to look at, the background detail is immense and the sense of scale, and use of space, they achieve whenever a Jaeger is onscreen is anything but brainless. Even the 3D is used in an interesting way and I am very much not a fan of 3D usually.

Can I see a few dozen ways of improving it? Sure, but I'm pretty damn happy with what we got (and booked to see it again already on Friday).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 6:22:29 PM   
captainrentboy

Really looking forward to IMAX 3D-ing this on Friday! Kinda surprised it only managed a 3/5 from Empire, especially when a lot of the more geeky sites out there (And I'm not including Mr Knowles' madman ravings on the movie) are going crazy for it!
Even more confusing is that ole ''Depp dresses up funny and pisses about for 150 minutes'' is getting thoroughly panned everywhere but here, where it's somehow seen to be worthy of 4 stars. (The extended clip at the end of MOS did nowt for me)
Ohh well, opinions and assholes and all that stuff. I'm hoping I'll love it.

(in reply to jencat)
Post #: 6
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 6:41:36 PM   
Dr Jaw

Subs, pretty sure that the 'prostate Jaeger' washed up on the shore should be 'prostrate.'

The prostate is, uh, something else.

Post #: 7
Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 7:30:44 PM   
zoidberg

3 stars is lower than I expected from the magazine that gave the dreadful new Iron Man film 4 stars and the Lone Ranger 4 Stars; which is getting alot of mediocre reviews elsewhere.

Has Disney got some dirt on Empire?

Post #: 8
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 8:00:30 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure what the point is of comparing the rating for a film you haven't seen to two completely unrelated films with reviews written by two different people?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to zoidberg)
Post #: 9
RE: Pacific Rim - 8/7/2013 10:43:57 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm not sure what the point is of comparing the rating for a film you haven't seen to two completely unrelated films with reviews written by two different people?

It's because many contributors to this forum seem to believe that 'Empire Reviewer' is some sort of gestalt entity rather than a wide range of individuals, all with their own tastes and genre preferences! I almost fell into the same trap not so long ago when I saw that The World's End review was now online - assuming that (without naming names) the writer was sure to be predictably and gushingly adoring, I was pleasantly surprised to read a very positive but critical-where-necessary 4* writeup. I also haven't seen the film yet and so rightly comment on merits or otherwise.

Ditto for Pacific Rim - to me though, the review comes across as a very generous 3*, generous as it's pretty scathing on essentials like plot, acting, and characterisation. If the director was anyone else, perhaps it would've been 2*? Unfair perhaps? Just because you know someone has done 'better' work in their career shouldn't mean they're above criticism for what comes across to me as an unsophisticated but hopefully good fun tentpole summer blockbuster. Guillermo Del Toro has become better known for projects that haven't happened, so I'm just glad he's back in the game again as a working director! If he is blowing off steam with Pacific Rim, let him!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Pacific Rim - 9/7/2013 9:11:24 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It's because many contributors to this forum seem to believe that 'Empire Reviewer' is some sort of gestalt entity rather than a wide range of individuals, all with their own tastes and genre preferences! I almost fell into the same trap not so long ago when I saw that The World's End review was now online - assuming that (without naming names) the writer was sure to be predictably and gushingly adoring, I was pleasantly surprised to read a very positive but critical-where-necessary 4* writeup. I also haven't seen the film yet and so rightly comment on merits or otherwise.

Ditto for Pacific Rim - to me though, the review comes across as a very generous 3*, generous as it's pretty scathing on essentials like plot, acting, and characterisation. If the director was anyone else, perhaps it would've been 2*? Unfair perhaps? Just because you know someone has done 'better' work in their career shouldn't mean they're above criticism for what comes across to me as an unsophisticated but hopefully good fun tentpole summer blockbuster. Guillermo Del Toro has become better known for projects that haven't happened, so I'm just glad he's back in the game again as a working director! If he is blowing off steam with Pacific Rim, let him!

I know this - I was asking the poster what their point was, though.

I disagree with your analysis however as it falls into another common trap where you assume it is something other than the film that has produced the rating - I read the review as a low 3. There's nothing in there that suggests the film seen deserves a paltry 2 star rating - reference to Del Toro's other work is simply an expression of disappointment that, for the reviewer, it isn't a 4* or 5*. That's quite different. Given the squealing you often see on threads such as this about rating, reviewers sometimes spend more time than they should explaining why the rating isn't different ie, in this case, why it isn't higher. I disagree with the reviewer on this one - a different one might have tipped it over to 4*.

quote:

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 11
Another.... - 9/7/2013 9:52:14 AM   
dragon_irl

....awful Ian Nathan review

Post #: 12
so that where the sandcastles and insects snippet from ... - 9/7/2013 10:21:34 AM   
Jasper_29

....came from. Good review, even though criticizing this movie for the same flaws every Transformers movie has is a bit unfair, where Pacific Rim's action sequences are in my opinion easier to follow and far more impressive, and the characters much more likeable. 3 stars seems about right though, but make no mistake -- this movie is VERY entertaining.

Post #: 13
RE: so that where the sandcastles and insects snippet f... - 9/7/2013 11:08:18 AM   
UTB

Everyone knows Empire Reviews are done in the same way that the Jury decides in Futurama - they all plug their heads into the Editor, rotate for a while, then produce one review which every single one of them agrees on.

Until the DVD is released, of course. But then its probably just the office cleaner reviewing it.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 14
RE: Another.... - 9/7/2013 11:12:29 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: dragon_irl

....awful Ian Nathan review

Why?

Ditto Jasper - Pacific Rim takes a kick at Transformers for a reason. Well 2 really - a) it's crap and b) exactly as he says - it's not just meshing CGI you can't separate, but distinct fights in Pacific Rim. As I said above, I disagree, no grey area, on Mr Nathan's take on the fights.

quote:

Everyone knows Empire Reviews are done in the same way that the Jury decides in Futurama - they all plug their heads into the Editor, rotate for a while, then produce one review which every single one of them agrees on.

Although there are at least 2 Empire writers who I've read being far more positive about the film. I didn't know who'd done the review at the time so I'd thought it was possible it might tip over the halfway from 3 to 4 for them.

quote:

(in reply to dragon_irl)
Post #: 15
Not Surprised - 9/7/2013 1:16:54 PM   
thelimeyone

I'm not sure where the anger is coming from for this review. The trailer for this film looked like it was garbage. If you wnat another Transformers then fine. I for one don't want two hours of things hitting each other.

Post #: 16
RE: so that where the sandcastles and insects snippet f... - 9/7/2013 1:28:42 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Until the DVD is released, of course. But then its probably just the office cleaner reviewing it.

And he hates everything.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 17
RE: Not Surprised - 10/7/2013 4:22:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: thelimeyone

I'm not sure where the anger is coming from for this review. The trailer for this film looked like it was garbage. If you wnat another Transformers then fine. I for one don't want two hours of things hitting each other.

This is not a Transformers film

I've deleted your other posts - always best to check if the post has actually gone through before repeating over and over again.

quote:

(in reply to thelimeyone)
Post #: 18
another 3 star English language movie from Del Toro - 11/7/2013 1:28:49 PM   
spideed2

Aside from blade 2 all his US efforts have been lacking something. Huge shame as he is so talented.

Post #: 19
"Like watching a nerd play with his dolls for two ... - 11/7/2013 9:55:59 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

- Vincent Mancini - Film Drunk

Post #: 20
MONSTER MASH!!! - 12/7/2013 6:32:48 PM   
Ramone87

An enjoyable Sci-fi Monster mash!!!

In true B-movie fashion we begin with new's reports and flashbacks to the arrival of the kaijus monsters, causing mayhem and bedlam on a global scale,...so to fight these towering beasts they create the nuclear powered jaeger robots,...and sea's become a colossal battlefield for supremacy.

Director Guilermo del Toro skillfully portrays a sense of fun and character in the state of the art CGI depicting these towering monsters and giant robots on a massive destructive scale. Our hero pilots with equally extravagant names such as Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam), Yancy Antrobus(Robert Kazinsky) with love interest Mako Mori(Rinko Kikuchi) and not forgetting the almost mechanical General Stacker Pentecost played by the ever imposing Idris Elba barely get a look in when the destruction starts. Be it massive scrap ups in cities to hurling each other across oceans and pile driving each other senseless,...it really is pure relentless bedlam on a huge scale.

Driving these huge Robots is described as 'Drifting'...as you have to pair up with a co-pilot and fuse your brain and memories with the machine to control it,...but this doesn't always go to plan,...if you get caught in a limbo state as pilot Mako does and almost blast your own co-pilots to pieces. This does make for interesting drama amidst typical soldier and gung ho bonding between pilots as they battle inner demons as well as the monsters from the sea. Ron Pearlman makes a funny entry as a Black Market dealer in Kaijus body parts and makes and equally hilarious demise at the hands of these mutating beasties.

Other nods go the typical hyperactive Scientists Dr. Newton Giezer (Charlie Day) and fellow scientist Burn Gorman who must race against the clock to figure out how to shut the Pass way in Pacific that's causing the monsters to come through the Pacific floor.

All in all, a great romp, imagine a decent Transformers movie paired with a decent Godzilla movie and you get Pacific Rim.

ENJOY!!!

< Message edited by Ramone87 -- 12/7/2013 6:35:18 PM >

Post #: 21
Don't care - 12/7/2013 7:33:10 PM   
breakism

Personally i'm looking forward to this film. Don't give a monkeys what the naysayers are naysaying! Big summer fun. No problems with that is there?

Post #: 22
LOUD NOISES. - 12/7/2013 9:54:02 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

A typical Summer no-brainer, Pacific Rim isn't awful but it's a staggeringly missed opportunity to make something wonderful. For $180m and Guillermo del Toro, I expect more than to be beaten around the head with the Stupid-Stick for two hours…

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 23
RE: LOUD NOISES. - 12/7/2013 11:43:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

It was alright. Could spend all day picking it apart.

Surprised that Del Toro didn't seem to be able to frame the fights in a way which gave them a sense of scale.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 24
RE: LOUD NOISES. - 13/7/2013 12:48:15 AM   
Hood_Man

I really enjoyed this. It was nice to see actors like Queer as Folk's Charlie Hunnam and Eastenders' Robert Kazinski in such prominent roles in a big budget Hollywood summer movie.

It was a real feast for the eyes, and a lot of care has clearly gone into the 40 week 3D conversion as well (far more than went into Man of Steel anyway).

I'm definitely going to see this again, a solid 3.5/possible 4 from me.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 25
RE: LOUD NOISES. - 13/7/2013 1:51:18 PM   
Olaf

Was initially quite nervous about this based on the trailers, but fortunately it exceeded my expectations. The main concern I had from the promotional material was that despite the premise being perfect for him, the execution didn't appear to have much of del Toro's DNA and going to be a generic action blockbuster, but then you remember that GDT's greatest talent lies in loading the screen with loads of little details - the interior of the Shatterdome, the restored Jaegers with years of new parts being added on compared to the clean early models, the homes built inside kaiju carcasses, the Hong Kong street scenes etc are all pure del Toro. It's rare to say that a big robots-smashing blockbuster warrants multiple viewings to take it all in, but I'll be seeing this again.

The characters are pretty thinly-drawn, though I'm not sure what the best way to address that in the screenplay would have been without compromising the excellent pace that the film moves at. Usually I'd say that 'death of a loved one' is the ultimate cheap shortcut to character depth in a film like this, but I thought it worked well in this film considering the nature of the Drift and the practical applications of trauma within the film. The fact that it had good plot reasons to be there rather than just being used in a lazy trope to fill out the characters' background was a big plus. I love that the whole premise of the Drift is essentially an extended allegory for a relationship, though the relationship between the two leads didn't always get over the narrative problem that said premise set up for them (ie the 'getting to know you' stage is completely non-verbal, so the deep bond the two of them have with each other happens instantaneously). Performances generally were good across the board, particularly since Idris Elba was in it (and playing a character called Stacker Pentecost).

Del Toro's ability to stage action sequences is really underrated I think, and he does a great job in this. I disagree with the point made above about not framing the fights well - obviously the classic kaiju films from the 50s and 60s rely largely on wide shots to give you that sense of 'big monster, small city' and this deviates from that, but this shows quite a lot of restraint while still delivering on those big-scale shots. There's something more visceral about the close-up shots of punches being thrown and arms being ripped off that you couldn't get with the low-budget man-in-a-rubber-suit style of filming, and when those wide shots do come into play they're even more impressive (a grown woman started clapping at that UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME shot of Gipsy pulling up with a boat for a bat in my screening ). People forget that the composition of a good action sequence can give you a kind of 'economy of excess' - ie the sense that a film can have this level of smashing and stuff while preventing it from being a load of head-hurting noise - and it's down to maintaining a dynamic structure. del Toro does this throughout his films, and here it's what elevates the film beyond the Transformers comparisons (which shows none of the restraint in shot composition/editing that this does).*

4/5

(*I got so close to not mentioning Transformers, alas. While I'm at it, the robots were way cooler looking in this.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 26
RE: Pacific Rim - 13/7/2013 6:24:25 PM   
justfontaine

Charlie Hunnam, I’m sorry Sons Of Anarchy fans, is a bad actor.

Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman were the best things in it.

As if Charlie Day was not going to be the best thing in it though. Really.

It was like Power Rangers on Acid.

The opening four/five montage is fantastic

There wasn’t enough Guillermo del Toro in there for me personally.

It was like Top Gun meets Godzilla.

I loved the fact it knew what it was and that was a straight up cliche’-party B-movie.

Charlie Hunnam looked like he was taking the piss. I wished it was intentional.

Idris Elba looked like he was having a lot of fun and he does the ‘don’t fuck with me’ drill sergeant-general guy pretty well

It shows these big mindless, hell fest ‘blockbusters’ like Transformers (Worst films ever made™) that a film can be brash and crazy but retain it’s heart and humour at the same time and all the while without being offensive and racist. Michael Bay, we’re all looking at you.

Overall, It’s pretty good fun. But expect the classic tropes of the B-Movie genre and the Hollywood blockbuster it sticks to quite closely and sticks too pretty well in fairness.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

Post #: 27
RE: Pacific Rim - 13/7/2013 7:59:54 PM   
superdan

It's just a bit of cheesy, daft fun. Thankfully it doesn't take itself too seriously, because some of the dialogue is hilariously on-the-nose, and everyone involved looks like they are having a lot of fun. It is basically the most expensive, sparkly B-movie ever made. 3 stars is about right I reckon.

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 28
Pacific Grim - 13/7/2013 8:50:21 PM   
bretty

Empire calls it well as a B movie with some nice FX, In fairness the FX are indeed very nice but hampered by a daft plot and some awful dialogue.
Quite fun if you don't spend a nano second thinking about it.

Post #: 29
Best blockbuster of the summer - 13/7/2013 10:39:02 PM   
echoroom

After a lot of good but underwhelming movies this summer (Iron man 3, star trek, man of steel), finally GdT delivers this seasons big, dumb can o fun. Big, loud and brash, beautifully shot, Pacific Rim has all the subtlety of a Motorhead concert, but left me with a big, silly grin. Smashing!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pacific Rim Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI