Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Are editors/directors getting more lazy?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Are editors/directors getting more lazy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are editors/directors getting more lazy? - 4/7/2013 10:59:18 PM   
drum

Is it just me but one of the things that really irritates me is when during the film, somebody is supposedly speaking and the camera is positioned behind him to get the reaction shot... however it is painfully obvious that what he/she is saying is not synced to the soundtrack or worse still the jaw isn't moving at all. Often it is the other way round with the jaw chomping away but deathly silence between the protagonists. It used to be pretty dodgy movies and TV shows that did this (presumably due to budget constraints either during the shoot or editing precess)... but lately it seems to have swelled to epic proportions. No film is safe. Pretty much ebery film I see uses this trick. Even the last Martin Scorsese movie I saw is guilty. Why has this now become perfectly acceptable? Are directors/editors getting more lazy and think they can get away with it and nobody notices? Like I said, is it just me? Rant over...
Post #: 1
RE: Are editors/directors getting more lazy? - 5/7/2013 11:11:30 AM   
Dannybohy

Its not just you. The current crop of big movie directors are amongst the laziest I have ever known, and I assume there is some sort of drought on decent editors.
Just watch the first 10 minutes of Godfather remastered in glorious HD and you will feel better :)

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 5/7/2013 11:12:16 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to drum)
Post #: 2
RE: Are editors/directors getting more lazy? - 5/7/2013 12:57:44 PM   
UTB

Isn't it due to only using 1 camera at a time and filming a 'conversation' from behind the backs of two people and made to look the at the same?

I remember listening to a Tony Scott commentary or interview where he said since Beverly Hills Cop 2 he'd always shoot with 2 cameras for scenes like this due to Eddie Murphy being so improvisational with jokes that it was impossible to get the right reaction shot or something.

But yes, I notice the same, a lot.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3
RE: Are editors/directors getting more lazy? - 16/7/2013 7:03:14 PM   
Spiked

quote:

ORIGINAL: drum

Is it just me but one of the things that really irritates me is when during the film, somebody is supposedly speaking and the camera is positioned behind him to get the reaction shot... however it is painfully obvious that what he/she is saying is not synced to the soundtrack or worse still the jaw isn't moving at all.

It happened a couple of times in Stand By Me, therefore, it is allowed anywhere, at any time :-)

(in reply to drum)
Post #: 4
RE: Are editors/directors getting more lazy? - 17/7/2013 2:31:37 PM   
Coyleone

That kind of thing is noticeable in so many films, dating back decades. So I don't think it's just this generation of filmmakers. But yeah, I notice it all the time and it does kind of irritate me no matter what film it's in.

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 5
RE: Are editors/directors getting more lazy? - 17/7/2013 5:03:13 PM   
Whistler

At most it bugs me mildly for a second before the shot changes.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 6
RE: Are editors/directors getting more lazy? - 18/7/2013 10:23:47 AM   
Platter

YOU MUST SEE TANGO AND CASH RIGHT NOW!

It has the best example of this. About ten minutes in Kurt Russell is in the lift with the other cops and they are having a conversation. The cop the camera is facing has his lips moving but no dialogue is on the soundtrack. Russell, with his back to the camera and definitely not talking, says ‘Real sloppy work guys.’

Yes, indeed. Very, very sloppy work.

< Message edited by Platter -- 18/7/2013 10:24:55 AM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Are editors/directors getting more lazy? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI