Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Who Should Play Lex Luthor? And Which Lex Luthor Should They Play?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Who Should Play Lex Luthor? And Which Lex Luthor Should They Play? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who Should Play Lex Luthor? And Which Lex Luthor Should... - 4/7/2013 12:37:38 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Jason Clarke is a good shout - 4/7/2013 12:37:38 PM   
spideed2

He was fantastic in ZDT

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
I've always thought... - 4/7/2013 12:47:34 PM   
Pirate King

Bill Murray would be a good choice for Lex. Ever since I heard he was an early choice for Witches of Eastwick.

He could do the corrupt businessman or mad scientist type, smooth and salesmanly to the public but filled with cold anger on the inside... somewhere between his Rushmore, Scrooged and Lost in Translation performances. And he could do awkward humour while he was at it.

Post #: 3
Loving Michael C Hall - 4/7/2013 1:08:54 PM   
Antcav

Think he'd be great - he just needs to channel more evil Dexter

Post #: 4
Certainly like the idea of Denzel taking a stab... - 4/7/2013 1:22:43 PM   
Porter

...would also like to see Daniel Day-Lewis (no chance) drinking the Big Guy's milkshake. Just hope they make him a serious villain with a credible cause. This guy should be fearless and formidable, like a modern-day Moriarty. Viggo Mortenson could deliver.

Post #: 5
Josh Brolin IS Lex Luthor - 4/7/2013 3:30:54 PM   
BenTramer

Absolutely no way should Jude Law play Lex Luthor, he's not a great actor and hasn't given a decent performance that I can remember. Not Paul Dano either (he was extremely bloody irritating in There Will Be Blood). Bryan Cranston was an utterly forgettable villain in Total Recall not a patch on Ronny Cox in Arnie's version, so not him either. Mark Strong would be a good choice he has believable menace and intelligence, two things Luthor would need. Josh Brolin would be an excellent choice for Luthor, he's as good an actor as Hackman and can hold his own with anyone.

Post #: 6
Mark Strong or Coster-Waldau! - 4/7/2013 7:53:26 PM   
dannyfletch

I think they done a great job with General Zod's character, Michael Shannon done a superb job, making him quite believable and you could understand things from his point of view and wasn't just outright evil! With Luthor they need to make him a believably intelligent, twisted and complex character so again you can see and understand things from his point of view, making him convincing! I think the first choice would be Mark Strong as he's an excellent actor who can play a character with an array of different emotions (his performance in Tinker Tailor is perfect!), plus he can do bad guy roles with his eyes closed. But then on the other hand Nicolaj Coster-Waldau is also an exceptional actor who does intellengent and twisted very well! So it's actually probably
neck and neck for me between those two.

Post #: 7
Missing the BEST choice!! - 5/7/2013 11:33:08 AM   
slipalong

I'm sorry, but Billy Zane would be perfect. Can ooze arrogance, is physically built to be intimidating to others/subordinates and could easily play a genius scientist.

And he's pefectly bald already.

Post #: 8
We're not there yet - 5/7/2013 12:36:31 PM   
Hillsman

I loved Michael Rosenbaum as Lex - his development of the character was ace. Very much the Twisted Rich Boy Lex!! Nothing exciting among the suggestions, but Denzil & Cooper are absolute no-no's. Law plays a good villain, but he's a little too British.

Luther needs to be intelligent, calculating, damaged while still having the ability to endear himself to the people. Haven't a clue really! Mark Strong is a decent shout or maybe a bald Hugo Weaving?

Post #: 9
Leonardo Leads - 5/7/2013 1:20:36 PM   
collins2848

Has anyone wondered what Leonardo Di Caprio would look like without his carefully coiffered mane? If you think Lex Luthor I'd have to agree with you.
I think he'd be perfect doing the Evil CEO ( a la Django Unchained) or the sociopathic rich kid ( as taken from The Man in the Iron Mask) or a blend of the 2

Post #: 10
Hows about - 5/7/2013 5:52:11 PM   
jontysidgwick

Brandon Routh.
What a film!

Post #: 11
Matthew McConaughy - 5/7/2013 11:15:19 PM   
osh man

that is all.

Post #: 12
I'm a big fan of Stanley Tucci... - 6/7/2013 12:46:50 AM   
chrispdaniel

... and would love to see him play Lex Luthor. He was brilliant as Richard Cross in the first series of Murder One playing a rich business man-type villain. I wouldn't argue with anyone wanting Bryan Cranston either, although his character would need to be given more depth than the bad guy he played in Total Recall remake (Total Remake?)

Post #: 13
What about President of United States Lex ? - 6/7/2013 12:35:43 PM   
danielthompson99

I would like to see Michael Keaton in the role, but I love the idea of Denzal Washington also.
Jude Law is possibly the worst suggestion I've heard.

Post #: 14
Washington? - 7/7/2013 10:04:15 PM   
mancalledpete

There's a pretty obvious flaw in the Denzal Washington idea... Just saying!

Post #: 15
Going with an unknown - 8/7/2013 4:04:20 AM   
leocastillo

If we were going with an unknown (well, a relative unknown), you know who I like?

I like Gabriel Macht of Suits. I want Luthor to be an evil version of Bruce Wayne.
Confident, smart, gets away with stuff, very sure of himself. And sneaky enough to never get caught with anything linked to him. The world has a very positive image of him but never knows he uses his powers only for himself. In many ways he's everything Superman is not.

Post #: 16
Congressman Peter Russo - 8/7/2013 9:23:53 AM   
presidentcletus

I read someone suggest Corey Stoll somewhere and can't get that image out of my head. He'd be ideal in my opinion.

< Message edited by presidentcletus -- 8/7/2013 9:25:45 AM >

Post #: 17
Michael Chiklis - 8/7/2013 12:59:00 PM   
makeminemedia

Michael Chiklis. Plays a great mobster in Vegas (which rocks) and I think would be the ideal guy. Has been in superhero flicks before as the thing in fantastic four so will be comfortable with special effects etc

Post #: 18
I get the obvious reasons why Denzel... - 8/7/2013 1:25:35 PM   
Porter

...is a left-field choice for Luthor, but that's what's so great about these new movies. You take the convention and twist it without breaking. I don't want to see the same old choices - I want something fresh. Denzel's got the chops for this role and, if it was me, I'd let him keep his hair too.

Post #: 19
Corey Stoll - 8/7/2013 1:32:45 PM   
willchadwick

He was brilliant in House of Cards and despite the fact he has the 'look' I think he really has it in him to play a real nasty piece of work and an excellent villain

Post #: 20
- 8/7/2013 3:11:12 PM   
Tenacious P

Anybody who mentions Billy Zane needs to be shot! The guy is shit. Period. He's the same as having Nic Cage as Superman. Bad. And a sequel would fail as a result.
Firstly we need someone who can act, so my choices would be Jared Harris or Benedict Cumberbatch. They both ooze charm, with underlying threat & can turn nasty in a heartbeat. And they've both proven that they can pay superb villains.
A movie is only as good as it's villain so if Zane were cast it'd be a no better than Die Hard 5!

Post #: 21
I was gonna say Jared Harris & Cumberbatch... - 8/7/2013 6:32:01 PM   
Porter

...would be good choices. Jinxsies! Quality choices.

Post #: 22
What they should really do... - 9/7/2013 4:12:12 AM   
Sharky J Mansour

I think what Snyder and co should really do is set up Lex as a secondary character in the second film, leaving primary villain duties to someone like Brainiac. Not necessarily evil, but a Tony Stark-esque likeable scientist/philanthropist/billionaire perhaps. This would allow for greater character exploration and depth as we see Lex's gradual demise into the pillar of evil we know he will become in the climatic third (and presumably final, if Nolan's Batman trilogy is anything to go by) film.

Post #: 23
Superstar in the part!!!! - 9/7/2013 12:09:18 PM   
Porus

This is way out there but how about either Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson. A superstar in the part to add weight.

Post #: 24
Superstar in the part!!!! - 9/7/2013 12:09:19 PM   
Porus

This is way out there but how about either Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson. A superstar in the part to add weight.

Post #: 25
Pennywise himself! - 11/7/2013 1:13:05 AM   
Klaudio2010

Tim Curry, he has a great history of bad asses.

Post #: 26
Pennywise himself! - 11/7/2013 1:57:00 AM   
Klaudio2010

Tim Curry, he has a great history of bad asses.

Post #: 27
Red Son version - 14/7/2013 9:51:32 PM   
CambiMan

The Red Son interpretation of Lex is probably the best version and seeing as we will never see him in action in an adaption of the book they should try and get him into Man of steel 2. But maybe not as the big bad but a second row character we can then see him evolve from a young ginger version to the bald mad scientist in the third who can not face the competition of Superman any more. The guy to pulls this of should be someone who gives the impression of great intelligence and two actors that can do this very well our Benedict Cumberbatch and Matt Smith. We have already seen Cumberbatch be a villain in Star Trek and I would love to see Smith sink his teeth into the bad guy material

Post #: 28
Mark strong or Michael fassbender for Luthor - 15/7/2013 7:29:44 PM   
joshsym

Mark strong or michael fassbender i think these two are awesome in everything they do and i think they would make perfect luthors.
Having said that in my opinion lex luthor should be a secondary villian not the main one because as a villain he doesnt really give the opportunity to use his powers proper as in MOS. I would have luthor as the one pulling the strings but another main villain like darkseid, metallo or Brainiac

Post #: 29
Heston Blumenthal - 18/7/2013 11:02:48 AM   
Andybee76

How about Moby? Just kidding but seriously Tim Olyphant might be good!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Who Should Play Lex Luthor? And Which Lex Luthor Should They Play? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI