Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Tone Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tone - 28/4/2014 10:20:20 PM   
Private Hudson

Saw this on Sky on Saturday afternoon and I cannot believe it was slated - not by Empire though.

A witty, old fashioned film with great performances and superb action sequences.

And if anyone doesn't get carried away by the incredible finale with the trains and the Lone Ranger riding Silver to the rescue while the beyond iconic William Tell Overture plays then they have a heart of stone.

The Lone Ranger is a blockbuster with a heart and isn't afraid to be uncynical in a world where all we want to see is dark twists. This is a world where the good guy wears a white hat and the bad guys wear black ones. Absolute entertainment and dare I say it fun.

Surely this is what movies are all about? Give me that joyous last ten minutes over any boring heist movie or Scandinavian cop drama any day.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 61
RE: Tone - 29/4/2014 1:05:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Agreed, a fantastic and fun ride. A really great movie that got unfairly slated. And yes, the train finale is just incredible.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 62
RE: Tone - 29/4/2014 1:22:18 PM   
shool

I can only remember the train sequence.
The rest of it I didnt think was particularly interesting and was quite forgettable. Also it meandered all over the place.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 63
RE: Tone - 30/4/2014 5:04:22 PM   
Private Hudson

Thing is, a film really should be all about the finale. What has went before should be topped by the climax.

Us forgiven, for example, was merely an okay movie up until the climactic bar scene, which paid off what went before and made it a classic.

Nothing worse than a film that starts off superbly only to fall away at the halfway point or the climax.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 64
They do make them like they used to! - 30/4/2014 5:24:25 PM   
Private Hudson

I guess I should add my rating!

All in all, a hugely enjoyable romp, which has to be seen for one of the very best endings to a movie ever. As Angie Eriggo says in her review, the synching of Rossini to the action is movie magic.

I think this will end up like Big Trouble in Little China or The Thing and will be re-evaluated in years to come.

For kids of all ages.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 65
RE: Tone - 7/5/2014 10:45:34 PM   
JohnChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Saw this on Sky on Saturday afternoon and I cannot believe it was slated - not by Empire though.

A witty, old fashioned film with great performances and superb action sequences.

And if anyone doesn't get carried away by the incredible finale with the trains and the Lone Ranger riding Silver to the rescue while the beyond iconic William Tell Overture plays then they have a heart of stone.

The Lone Ranger is a blockbuster with a heart and isn't afraid to be uncynical in a world where all we want to see is dark twists. This is a world where the good guy wears a white hat and the bad guys wear black ones. Absolute entertainment and dare I say it fun.

Surely this is what movies are all about? Give me that joyous last ten minutes over any boring heist movie or Scandinavian cop drama any day.

Bravo, couldn't agree more.

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 66
RE: Tone - 14/5/2014 11:45:34 AM   
Jasper_29

Although this movie really proves Depp can only act in make-up and funny costumes, it's actually as enjoyable as the first POTC movie. ****

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 67
RE: Tone - 14/5/2014 8:23:11 PM   
Cool Breeze

Overlong boring shite.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 68
RE: Tone - 20/5/2014 8:50:30 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper_29

Although this movie really proves Depp can only act in make-up and funny costumes, it's actually as enjoyable as the first POTC movie. ****

That's not really fair though. He's given plenty of good performances without make up and funny costumes.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 69
RE: Tone - 20/5/2014 8:51:27 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Overlong boring shite.

Don't hold back Cool Breeze! Seriously though, you must have enjoyed at least some aspects of the movie? It was gorgeous to look at and the score was fantastic.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 70
What a load of cobblers - 23/12/2014 2:27:17 PM   
lazaskey

This didn't really know in what genre it belonged. It was presumably aimed at toddlers yet had a cannibal villain who ate people's hearts, a kid who didn't know who to choose to aim his gun at - his uncle who he'd always known as a good man or the villain's brother. Sorry, too many plot weaknesses and loopholes. It killed a couple of hours but not very enjoyable.

Post #: 71
What a load of cobblers - 23/12/2014 2:31:23 PM   
lazaskey

This didn't really know in what genre it belonged. It was presumably aimed at toddlers yet had a cannibal villain who ate people's hearts, a kid who didn't know who to choose to aim his gun at - his uncle who he'd always known as a good man or the villain's brother. Sorry, too many plot weaknesses and loopholes. It killed a couple of hours but not very enjoyable.

Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Tone Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI