Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Bling Ring - 3/7/2013 6:48:56 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The Bling Ring - 3/7/2013 6:48:56 AM   
Scruffybobby

Empty, soulless, ugly and boring maybe that's the point) Emma Watson is good value though and there is one very well staged sequence involving a robbery done in a single take which is enough to give it an extra star 2/5

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Wonderfully.... - 3/7/2013 10:03:52 AM   
spaceodds

Wonderfully.... terrible. Boring, repetitive and dull. Is this supposed to be a satire on the shallow 90210 crowd? Or is it supposed to be a celebration of it?
Girls meets Ocean's Eleven?! Are you kidding me?!
Ocean's Eleven maybe flawed, but at least it was mildly entertaining, and it had characters that were fun.

The only saving grace of this disaster of a film is Leslie Mann, who was so terrible that she was hilarious. Watson is bland and infuriating, she's trying too hard to shed the Hermione image. Her co-stars are no better also.

Just when you think Mary Corleone could not fall even further down, she makes this disaster. Please Mary.... please just stop making films and try and preserve the small amount of integrity you gained from The Virgin Suicides.

I gave it one star, but it reality it should be 1/2 a star for Leslie Mann's performance

Post #: 3
RE: Wonderfully.... - 4/7/2013 10:37:22 PM   
Qwerty Norris

After her first two features as a film-maker, one would have thought Sofia Coppola would have kicked on with her craft, yet a decade on from Lost in Translation, her initial talent for being behind the camera seems to be in a state of regression – seemingly forever confined to the perils of the privileged. With her weakest effort to date, her fascination with the rich and famous continues, but this time the focus is from on the outside looking in (a dramatised look at the true story regarding the teenage twits whose obnoxious interest in celebrity culture predicated in them carrying out burglaries at the homes of Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Orlando Bloom and others). Like Harmony Korine’s Spring Breakers, it concerns itself as being a commentary on the teen generations worrying relationship with a materialistic culture; and like that exercise in vulgarity, it’s a empty shell of a film which is enormously unlikeable and poorly performed (Israel Broussad repeats the lines “we gotta get the fuck outta here” and “oh my god” in a monotonous fashion that often they were as well having a pull-string doll operating in his place). Some might argue that is precisely the point and in fairness if Coppola has attempted to make a film as vacuous as its shallow subject matter, then she’s succeeded beautifully. With the Bling Ring, It’s no longer a case of yearning for Coppola to step out of her A-list comfort zone, but to actively wish poverty and deprivation on her.

1/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to spaceodds)
Post #: 4
dull - 15/7/2013 9:54:43 PM   
tysmuse

the slowest, dullest and longest 90 minutes i've spent in the cinema this year. and i've seen a lot of films thus far in 2013

Post #: 5
Really enjoyed it - 19/7/2013 10:19:50 AM   
ChudMonkey

This is a film that's obviously going to illicit a lot of negative reaction as the thematically similar Spring Breakers (which I loved). This isn't as well made as that but it's still an enjoyable black satire with a couple of standout performances from Leslie Mann and Emma Watson.

Post #: 6
The Bling Ring - 7/8/2013 4:15:18 AM   
nc_jj

I consider it to be better, and more focused, than Harmony Korine's messy-but-funny Spring Breakers. I think this was sexier, classier and visually stunning, specially the club scenes. Emma Watson is fantastic, too. And, I believe that, Somewhere was good and very intimate and all, but The Bling Ring is kind of a throwback to what Coppola did in Marie Antoinette, rather than the delicacy of Lost in Translation or the seductiveness of The Virgin Suicides. Yes, I think it's really good.

Post #: 7
Amazing - 23/9/2013 12:45:04 PM   
norgizfox

A beautifully shot, lurid, and often funny look at celeb life. Watson is great, and Broussard stands out. This is Coppola's best film since LiT and one of the best films of the year. I hope this gets nominated for Best Picture. It probably won't.

Post #: 8
Oh dear..... - 29/10/2013 11:49:32 PM   
guysalisbury

I hate to repeat myself as I seem to have done with some many films recently but this is just another classic case of style over substance. As its based on a real life events you cant really blame Coppola for the ridiculously dull story line but thinking you can get away with a cool soundtrack and a few decent camera shots just doest cut it. All the characters are very hatable and as for the film itself its just boring as fu*k! Avoid might be a bit harsh but this really will only appeal to handful of people. Very disappointed :-(

Post #: 9
- 11/11/2013 12:34:16 PM   
danfacey711

Stylish, slick, well acted and a perfect reflection of celebrity culture.

Post #: 10
Little sympathy for attention seeking kids. - 10/7/2014 11:55:01 AM   
TroyPutland

Read my full review on http://straighttelling.co.uk!

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Bling Ring Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI