Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

George Clooney - The Director

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> George Clooney - The Director Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
George Clooney - The Director - 1/7/2013 8:55:02 PM   
Whistler

To be clear, this thread refers to his directorial efforts, rather than his acting roles. Couldn't find an existing thread.

I've been really impressed by Clooney's work behind camera, which I feel often gets stuck in the shadow of his fame as an actor. He hasn't directed many films (5 if you include his upcoming The Monuments Men), but what he has done has been gold.

The Ides Of March - A slick, sexy political thriller with electric lead performances that gives a piercing look at the corruption in government.
Good Night, And Good Luck - A low-key, noir-ish, captivating account of the fiery relationship between Edward R. Murrow and Senetor Joe McCarthy.
Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind - A confident true-life depiction of game show presenter Chuck Barris' supposed alternate life as a CIA assassin.

I've yet to see Leatherheads, but I've lapped up every second of those previous three, and much like Ben Affleck's work, I continue to be impressed. Anyone else feel the same?

Post #: 1
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 2/7/2013 5:11:05 PM   
UTB

Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind is a brilliant film, I think. The tone of the film is perfect and the switches from drama to comedy to spy thriller are effortless. The scene with Chuck starting as the station tour guide and moving up is a fantastically staged scene.

Ides Of March - I found this an odd beast. Obviously the two lead characters are both smug as fuck but this makes them difficult to engage with. I need to re-watch this as also seemed to end about 90 mins before I thought it would which caught me by surprise, to be honest.

Haven't seen GNGL or Leatherheads.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 2
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 17/8/2013 12:01:54 PM   
Whistler

The Monuments Men looks great too.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 18/8/2013 8:17:11 AM   
NCC1701A

I really enjoyed Good Night, And Good Luck a lot. I got The Ides of march from Blockbusters when it was closeing down but have not seen it yet. Did watch Leatherheads when it first came out and was not keen on it. Have not seen Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind. However I do like him has an actor and he seams to be a good director as well much like Ben Affleck.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 4
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 25/9/2013 7:07:08 PM   
Whistler

Just watched Leatherheads on Netflix. It's certainly less impressive than his other work, but I enjoyed it enough. Quite slapstick and silly.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 5
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 8/10/2013 2:38:11 PM   
CheshireMoon

The Ides Of March looks good, will check it out. He is a talented man on and off screen

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 6
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 11/10/2013 5:28:10 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Films by Clooney mirror Clooney the actor-smart,smug and very superficial
Nothing really noteworthy achieved,if it wasn't George,we probably wouldn't even talk about these films

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to CheshireMoon)
Post #: 7
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 11/10/2013 10:26:30 AM   
Whistler

I would.

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 8
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 15/10/2013 6:28:08 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: CriticNumberOne

Nothing really noteworthy achieved,if it wasn't George,we probably wouldn't even talk about these films

One can't help but get the impression that you're one of those people who thinks that everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it's the same as yours.
I've long admired George Clooney both as an actor and director. For me, his best work as a director to date - well, it's a toss up actually, between Goodnight And Good Luck and The Ides Of March. Both intelligent and thought provoking films, with certainly nothing superficial about them.
I also admire the fact that although he stars in both of those films himself, he is generous enough as a director to allow others in the cast to take the limelight, so that, for example, it's Ryan Gosling's stunning performance in The Ides Of March that one remembers.
As an actor he has a considerable range, although I must admit that I like best the work he did with the Coens in O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Intolerable Cruelty, where he gleefully sent up his own image to hilarious effect.
Tomorrow I'm going to my local to see Gravity for the second time this week. By far the best film I.ve seen this year, and both Clooney and Sandra Bullock are excellent, and it's far and away the best work I've seen from Alfonso Quaron (although I still love Y Tu Mama Tambien).

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 9
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 15/10/2013 10:21:40 PM   
CriticNumberOne

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

One can't help but get the impression that you're one of those people who thinks that everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it's the same as yours.
I've long admired George Clooney both as an actor and director. For me, his best work as a director to date - well, it's a toss up actually, between Goodnight And Good Luck and The Ides Of March. Both intelligent and thought provoking films, with certainly nothing superficial about them.
I also admire the fact that although he stars in both of those films himself, he is generous enough as a director to allow others in the cast to take the limelight, so that, for example, it's Ryan Gosling's stunning performance in The Ides Of March that one remembers.
As an actor he has a considerable range, although I must admit that I like best the work he did with the Coens in O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Intolerable Cruelty, where he gleefully sent up his own image to hilarious effect.
Tomorrow I'm going to my local to see Gravity for the second time this week. By far the best film I.ve seen this year, and both Clooney and Sandra Bullock are excellent, and it's far and away the best work I've seen from Alfonso Quaron (although I still love Y Tu Mama Tambien).

Oh this.
Jeepers,you take things personally.I still wouldn't put George 1/10(sneakily liked Oh Brother Where Art Thou).
I just think it's ironic you chastise Baz Lurhman for superficiality while championing George.
We'll need George to do a Baz film.
Cuaron us excellent though,i look forward to Gravity.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 10
RE: George Clooney - The Director - 16/10/2013 5:02:17 AM   
siegfried

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

Oh this.
Jeepers,you take things personally.I still wouldn't put George 1/10(sneakily liked Oh Brother Where Art Thou).
I just think it's ironic you chastise Baz Lurhman for superficiality while championing George.
We'll need George to do a Baz film.
Cuaron us excellent though,i look forward to Gravity.

Oh, you mean, kinda like you.
However, it appears as though we're never going to agree on the issue of Luhrmann, so I'll continue to loathe his work, and you're free to think whatever you like.
At least we agree about Alfonso Cuaron, and I'll be very surprised and disappointed if you don't like Gravity. You must see it in 3D.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> George Clooney - The Director Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI