Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Snark and today's movie criticism

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Snark and today's movie criticism Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Snark and today's movie criticism - 25/6/2013 11:29:26 PM   
giggity

Does anyone feel that nowdays most reviews on the internet are just full of snark, rather than relying solely on criticism? I know this is posted on the Empire forums but i've never had a problem with their reviews, (sometimes they drop a bit of a spoiler now and again but that's neither here nor there) i'm talking more about film blogs and most movie sites who also review. Off the top of my head Collider (although they're great for news), Slashfilm, CHUD, Aintitcool, Badass Digest (probably the worst for snark, every article is filled with it.) have reviews but instead of just being an analysis or review of the film, there seems to be an over-abundance of having to take jabs at the film or people making it, or having to make a joke in the article. To me it reeks of someone thinking that they're better than the person who made the film, I don't care how bad a film someone like Roland Emmerich or Brett Ratner or Michael Bay makes (and they've made bad films, don't get me wrong) but very few people in the world can do what they do. So when I read the reviews and see some type of 'witty' put down about the film, it makes me less interested in the review because it makes me think that this reviewer is trying to bring attention to them and 'oh look how smart and funny I am, making fun of this film' and seems slightly more based on ego than critical analysis and it may sound wrong but my reaction is always 'you're a guy who's sat behind a computer ripping into films for a living, what the fuck is so special about your life?' but when I read empire, or total film, or mark kermode etc... I don't get any of that, I just think they're reviewers.

Anyone else feel this lately?

< Message edited by giggity -- 25/6/2013 11:30:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Snark and today's movie criticism - 26/6/2013 1:28:35 AM   
Mister Coe

Forget the internet, if you want snark and ego and snotty condesention, go to Christopher bloody Tookey at the Daily Mail... I swear, the prick genuinely hates films...

Although, to be fair, if you work for the DM, you must hate pretty much anything anyway...

Say what now?

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 2
RE: Snark and today's movie criticism - 29/6/2013 10:11:19 PM   
Mr Gittes

Definitely. It's the thing I hate most about the Internet. As I've made clear many times, I'm a huge Spielberg fan. So you can imagine the shit I get most of the time from the Cynical Wave. I remember about a year ago, for a week the Internet connection was down; best week of my life

Nah, that makes me sound just as cynical as them. It's just tiring sometimes. Fortunately, though, it's relatively easy to ignore.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 3
RE: Snark and today's movie criticism - 30/6/2013 4:37:10 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I suppose what Giggs is talking about is just the difference between bloggers and yer actual journalists, isn't it? All these internet guys have arisen though a different culture and hold themselves to different standards. Not that Empire itself hasn't fallen from its usual professional standards at times, a few reviews in the magazine laid the odd schoolyard insult at Harry Knowles' door... perhaps in those days they felt those websites were a threat or something.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 4
RE: Snark and today's movie criticism - 1/7/2013 1:56:47 AM   
Olaf

interesting question. I'd actually disagree to be honest, at least in terms of 'professional' film criticism - if you look at people like Pauline Kael or Roger Ebert, they both utilised snark/cynicism to varying degrees in their writing, and are probably the defining figures of the medium of film criticism. On the other hand, modern-day film criticism is still hugely indebted to Ebert and Kael (along with critics in other mediums like Christgau, who's similarly snarky) but are caught up in the wider literary establishment's move towards a 'new sincerity' (one website you didn't mention is the AV Club, which has to be the weirdest hybrid of these two impulses on the internet). It's funny that you mention Badass Digest as being the worst for snark, because I was going to point to their Film Crit Hulk as being the opposite, if you can get past the supposed gimmick - well-read, offers in-depth analysis utilising formal critical apparatuses as well as 'emotional' responses, and pretty much bends over backwards to be polite to other writers/filmmakers.

I can't deny that film discussion in general on the internet is predicated on being snarky and cynical though. It's probably why a writer like Film Crit Hulk feels the need to adopt a vaguely silly persona in order to write very genuine, uncynical articles without shouted down.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 5
RE: Snark and today's movie criticism - 1/7/2013 4:31:07 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

(one website you didn't mention is the AV Club, which has to be the weirdest hybrid of these two impulses on the internet

I really like the AV Club, I actually find much of what they write genuinely interesting as well as amusing.

I think the problem for me lies in critics who dislike basically everything, because bad reviews are often seen as more entertaining. I have no problem with a critic/blogger/reviewer or whoever, giving a film they genuinely thought was awful a slating, but they have to back it up with why. It can't simply be sarky comments made purely to amuse with no critical justification.

It would also be nice to see some of these snarky critics owning up to liking a genuinely bad film once in a while. We've all got at least one dreadful film that we have a weak spot for hidden away, or an actor we love, but don't know why because they're actually not very good..

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: Snark and today's movie criticism - 1/7/2013 4:33:58 PM   
jcthefirst

I think The Shiznit is great for balancing the snark with genuinely good movie reviews.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 7
RE: Snark and today's movie criticism - 1/7/2013 9:11:41 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

interesting question. I'd actually disagree to be honest, at least in terms of 'professional' film criticism - if you look at people like Pauline Kael or Roger Ebert, they both utilised snark/cynicism to varying degrees in their writing, and are probably the defining figures of the medium of film criticism. On the other hand, modern-day film criticism is still hugely indebted to Ebert and Kael (along with critics in other mediums like Christgau, who's similarly snarky) but are caught up in the wider literary establishment's move towards a 'new sincerity' (one website you didn't mention is the AV Club, which has to be the weirdest hybrid of these two impulses on the internet). It's funny that you mention Badass Digest as being the worst for snark, because I was going to point to their Film Crit Hulk as being the opposite, if you can get past the supposed gimmick - well-read, offers in-depth analysis utilising formal critical apparatuses as well as 'emotional' responses, and pretty much bends over backwards to be polite to other writers/filmmakers.

I can't deny that film discussion in general on the internet is predicated on being snarky and cynical though. It's probably why a writer like Film Crit Hulk feels the need to adopt a vaguely silly persona in order to write very genuine, uncynical articles without shouted down.

Film Crit Hulk is great and if it was just him posting on the site i would think it's one of the best sites on the net for film (even though I think he's in need of some serious editing down sometimes). It's more Devin Faraci who full of the snark and hate for a lot of things and Evan Saathoff who for some reason in the comments sections has tonnes of people writing 'evan that was the funniest things i've read all day!', i've had to re-read his articles sometimes because I honestly do not see anything funny in what he writes.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Snark and today's movie criticism Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI