Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bad Geography

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Bad Geography Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad Geography - 25/6/2013 7:45:17 PM   
Ghidorah

World War Z spoilers

A few days ago I watched World War Z and I'd noticed one of the set pieces doesn't look like south Wales. In the film the plane was preparing to land at Cardiff Airport but forced to crash land before it could reached it destination. The area where the plane pretty much crash was woodland and very hilly. I had been to South Wales many times and what the film showed doesn't resemble what I had seen. It also doesn't make sense why an airport is surrounded by hills and Cardiff is next to Bristol channel.

So after I got home I googled map Cardiff Airport and it was next to the Bristol channel. So when the plane makes it crash landing it would have to land either into the Bristol channel or west of Bristol. The later would be rather funny because Brad Pitt would have to travel around Bristol to get into Wales. The chances of stumbling on a boat would be slim. However if the plane is going in the opposite direction then the plane would of crashed into Brigdend. Then it got me thinking about other films with it bad geography.

Sherlock Holmes spoilers

There is a chase scene starts in the sewers under the Houses of Parliment and in a few minutes it end at the top of Tower Bridge. That is very fast two mile run in the sewers.

Anyone else noticed others location errors?
Post #: 1
RE: Bad Geography - 25/6/2013 8:16:55 PM   
Hood_Man

I thought the site where the plane crashed looked like the Brecon Beacons. I was more preoccupied with giggling about Cardiff getting a mention in a mega budget Hollywood blockbuster. Not a dry eye in the house after everyone finished cheering and laughing at that one

Nothing will ever beat Robin Hood Prince of Thieves though, not with Kevin Costner deciding to travel from Dover to Hadrian's Wall, just so he can get to Sherwood

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 25/6/2013 8:18:14 PM >

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad Geography - 25/6/2013 8:28:56 PM   
Shifty Bench

The entire movie Krakatoa, East of Java is wrong as Krakatoa is actually west of Java.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad Geography - 25/6/2013 10:09:14 PM   
UTB

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!

quote:

When Robin and Azeem arrive in Dover, Robin says we will be dining with my father by nightfall. Nottingham is over 170 miles from Dover. Robin then makes an extravagant detour via the "Robin Hood" gap in Hadrian's Wall (approximately 120 miles north of Nottingham) before heading south again; making a rather unlikely journey total of more than 400 miles in under a day.

Also - there's a scene in 'Hong Kong' in Skyfall that I know is actually just up the road from Liverpool Street station but thats probably not what is meant.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad Geography - 25/6/2013 11:15:13 PM   
Mister Coe

To be honest, pretty much any US movie that has scenes set in London has geography that you might describe as 'questionable'...

But why should it? If you're focussing on a mental map of London when you should be enjoying the movie, then that movie is not doing it's job. I'm sure any US readers of this forum could say the same about LA or New York or wherever...

Say what now?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad Geography - 26/6/2013 1:52:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Stealth takes some liberties with geography

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: Bad Geography - 26/6/2013 2:25:02 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

and physics!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 7
RE: Bad Geography - 26/6/2013 3:11:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

and physics!

And the viewer's intelligence levels.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 8
RE: Bad Geography - 27/6/2013 10:37:09 AM   
Scruffybobby

Now I don't go to Glasgow all that often but last time I was there I don't remember the area just outside Central Station looking anything like it does in Doomsday

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 9
RE: Bad Geography - 27/6/2013 6:04:44 PM   
vader100

Oh, I don't know, it's not far off.

< Message edited by vader100 -- 27/6/2013 6:05:06 PM >

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 10
RE: Bad Geography - 27/6/2013 6:46:14 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Now I don't go to Glasgow all that often but last time I was there I don't remember the area just outside Central Station looking anything like it does in Doomsday

It's not Central Station, it's Queen Street station. And it looks enough like it

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 11
RE: Bad Geography - 27/6/2013 7:40:38 PM   
musht

I was watching Haywire yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the Dublin geography was.

I've only seen the trailer for Leap Year but for some reason Amy's flight to Dublin is diverted to Wales from where she gets a boat to Dingle ...

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 12
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 7:53:24 AM   
grucl

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen is full of geography errors.

A shot subtitled "Air Force Base - New Jersey" has a vast desert and mountains in the background

Jetfire steps out of the museum in Virginia and into the Arizona desert

Shia and company travel from the Pyramids to Petra (about 1.000 miles) on foot in one day

Egypt and Jordan don't have a border with each other as Israel is in between the two of them

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 13
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 12:51:49 PM   
Fit Kisto

Shanghai Knights features a very brisk drive, from central London straight to Stonehenge.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 14
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 3:10:45 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

I was watching Haywire yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the Dublin geography was.

I've only seen the trailer for Leap Year but for some reason Amy's flight to Dublin is diverted to Wales from where she gets a boat to Dingle ...

I was impressed with that in Haywire too. The big chase scene seems to follow a proper route and not just a bunch of random locations. Was weird seeing it in the movie.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 15
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 3:12:21 PM   
Shifty Bench

Another Jackie Chan film, Rumble In The Bronx is set in New York yet you can see snowy mountains in the background of various shots. Something you don't actually see in NYC and evidence that the film was actually shot in Canada.....

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 16
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 4:23:02 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

quote:

I was impressed with that in Haywire too. The big chase scene seems to follow a proper route and not just a bunch of random locations. Was weird seeing it in the movie.

Even Russburrough House, my sister and myself were like "they've clearly changed the name of that place, there are no 'burroughs' in Ireland", boy was I surprised to find that was the actual name of the place and fair play to them it's well within driving distance of Dublin too.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 17
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 4:44:11 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

It's worse than that, she is actually heading to Cork from Wales when she has to make an emergency stop at Dingle due to bad weather (the same reason the plane had to stop off at Wales in the first place)

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 18
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 5:07:32 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

It's worse than that, she is actually heading to Cork from Wales when she has to make an emergency stop at Dingle due to bad weather (the same reason the plane had to stop off at Wales in the first place)

AMY ADAMS WAS IN WALES AND I MISSED IT?!?!

Post #: 19
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 5:11:56 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 20
RE: Bad Geography - 28/6/2013 8:41:25 PM   
will1000

This thread has made me realise there aren't enough films set in Swindon...

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 21
RE: Bad Geography - 1/7/2013 10:32:41 PM   
Ghidorah

I needed to do a bit of homework on this one.

Godzilla 2008

According to wiki, the French carried out a nuclear tests on French Polynesia. Nothing to complain about and the maps shows it's located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. However in the opening shows a series of reptiles living on French Polynesia. One of these reptiles is the Komodo Dragon and they can only be found on the island Komodo. The island of Komodo is rather small and is north of Australia in Indeneisa. It also roughly 5,000 miles west of the French Polynesia.
The opening also shows Marine Iganas and Godzilla meant to be a mutated version of one of those. They live on a chain of islands most famous for their giant tortoise and Charles Darwin's thoeries of evolution. These Galápagos Islands islands are located aprox 8,000 miles East of French Polynesia.

10,000 BC

So the film starts off somehwere in Europe. Hard to tell where because it's set in the ice age. So anyway our north European white hero is chasing arabs who kidnapped his Southern Europeans tribemen. So after a few days he exited Ice age's Europe and found himself in a very small rain forest. I just don't understand how you could have a winter climate sitting directly next to a rain forest.
A few days later he lands himself into Africa and it looks like Sudan. So how did our white hero meets African tribemens on Africa plains but somehow the arabs and he missed Egypt?

The whole idea of the film is a white northern European is chasing Arab kidnappers who is taking his darker skinned tribesmen to Egypt. In a few days he reached a rainforest then end up in East Africa but somehow bypassed North Africa desert but somehow reached there by continuing South?

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 22
RE: Bad Geography - 1/7/2013 11:37:51 PM   
Mister Coe

The Steve Coogan movie, PAROLE OFFICER, seems to be set in some odd Northern city where you're in Manchester one minute then take a 2 minute walk and you're suddenly in Liverpool...

Say what now?

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 23
RE: Bad Geography - 2/7/2013 12:19:34 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

AMY ADAMS WAS IN WALES AND I MISSED IT?!?!

You were probably too busy copulating with a sheep or my mum to notice.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 24
RE: Bad Geography - 3/7/2013 1:17:39 PM   
Jasper_29

In Total Recall the scenes on Mars are so inaccurate it's laughable.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 25
RE: Bad Geography - 11/7/2013 4:16:07 PM   
Deviation

The Exorcist 2: The Heretic wins all.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 26
RE: Bad Geography - 12/7/2013 1:44:56 PM   
clownfoot

The worst offender must be the end of The Green Beret's where the sun sets on the South China sea....

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 27
RE: Bad Geography - 12/7/2013 3:51:49 PM   
jonson

Burn after Reading.
The film is all centred in the US, thousand of miles away from Berkshire! Lunacy!

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 28
RE: Bad Geography - 13/7/2013 12:06:55 AM   
boaby

Braveheart: battle of Stirling Bridge, no bridge, no river, no cliffs, no castle. Not really that significant I s'pose.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 29
RE: Bad Geography - 15/7/2013 11:47:16 AM   
snaze1

Always thought Patriot games was a classic idea of Americans making a film in a country other than their own and getting the geography all wrong.
Sean Miller (Sean Bean) is transferred from a prison in Southwark (in London) to the high security unit on the Isle of Wight. This would involve a land journey of 50 miles to the southwest, then a ferry across the Solent.
However, the security coonvoy is ambushed at the Middlesbrough moving bridge, 200 miles north of London; and in later dialogue it's said to have been in Kent near the Channel, which would be southeast of London and at least 70 miles from the Isle of Wight ferry routes.
This is all completely ridiculous unless of course G4S were in charge of the security van in which case its probably about right.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Bad Geography Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI