Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ben Affleck is Batman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Ben Affleck is Batman Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 27/8/2013 9:28:47 PM   
Ref

You beat me to it, Ghidorah. Found it on MoS 2 Facebook page, by any chance?

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 241
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 27/8/2013 9:31:12 PM   
Dirk Miggler

On recent form he's probably as good a choice as any, has been good in just about everything he's done since Hollywoodland in 2006 and lets be honest he's got the chin.

I think people should cut the guy some slack he's rebuilt his career and brought himself back from the brink, he deserves lot more respect than what he's been given.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 242
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 27/8/2013 10:05:58 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

You beat me to it, Ghidorah. Found it on MoS 2 Facebook page, by any chance?

I saw it on avpgalaxy forum, but I had been following his work for a few years now.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 243
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 28/8/2013 2:04:39 PM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

On recent form he's probably as good a choice as any, has been good in just about everything he's done since Hollywoodland in 2006 and lets be honest he's got the chin.

I think people should cut the guy some slack he's rebuilt his career and brought himself back from the brink, he deserves lot more respect than what he's been given.

Absolutely! If you genuinely think he'll be a bad Batman then fair enough, but I think a lot of the people who don't want to see Affleck play Batman don't want to because he's a bit of a pretty boy, has dated J-Lo and was in Daredevil and that's it!

I think people need to start looking at him playing Bruce Wayne as opposed to Batman, because it's the part of Bruce Wayne that requires the acting. He has to be charming (and a bit smarmy), witty, intelligent, a bit of a playboy with a subtly obvious sense of underlying urgency - and a hint of mental illness/trauma thrown in for good measure, and I think Affleck can do all of those things well and is actually exeptional at some of them (the witty, charming/smarmy thing)! Wheras the part of Batman only requires him to skulk around in the dark playing with his gadgets and having a few fights here and there! My only concern with the part of Batman would be the voice. Affleck's is a little high (as demonstrated in that awesome fan made trailer), but I'm sure he can lower it a bit and and the end of the day - it has got to be a damned sight better than Christian Bale's angry German Shepard impression!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 244
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 28/8/2013 3:05:41 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Cranston's casting as Luthor is breaking (bad arf) all over the place.

Wanted nothing to do with this after MOS... But they cast Affleck and got my attention a bit... And now Walt as Lex!

and now word is timothy dalton is in the frame for alfred.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 245
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 28/8/2013 3:32:55 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

Cranston's casting as Luthor is breaking (bad arf) all over the place.

Wanted nothing to do with this after MOS... But they cast Affleck and got my attention a bit... And now Walt as Lex!

and now word is timothy dalton is in the frame for alfred.

David Strathairn would make a better Alfred in my opinion.
Always rated him.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 246
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 28/8/2013 4:54:54 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

quote:

Absolutely! If you genuinely think he'll be a bad Batman then fair enough, but I think a lot of the people who don't want to see Affleck play Batman don't want to because he's a bit of a pretty boy, has dated J-Lo and was in Daredevil and that's it!

I think people need to start looking at him playing Bruce Wayne as opposed to Batman, because it's the part of Bruce Wayne that requires the acting. He has to be charming (and a bit smarmy), witty, intelligent, a bit of a playboy with a subtly obvious sense of underlying urgency - and a hint of mental illness/trauma thrown in for good measure, and I think Affleck can do all of those things well and is actually exeptional at some of them (the witty, charming/smarmy thing)! Wheras the part of Batman only requires him to skulk around in the dark playing with his gadgets and having a few fights here and there! My only concern with the part of Batman would be the voice. Affleck's is a little high (as demonstrated in that awesome fan made trailer), but I'm sure he can lower it a bit and and the end of the day - it has got to be a damned sight better than Christian Bale's angry German Shepard impression!

Well, I do genuinely think he'll be a bad Batman. And this is because of Daredevil (his only performance in a movie of this kind we have to go on). Said from day one, I think he'll be a great Bruce Wayne, though.

As for his looks? He wouldn't be the first "pretty boy" actor I've enjoyed. Couldn't give a crap about what happens in his personal life, and I'm even quite fond of one of his critical/commercial bombs that featured J-Lo (not sure which thread I said it in, but Jersey Girl might not be particularly great or original, but it's pretty sweet and heartwarming, and I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy it).

Also, the part of Batman requires acting as well. One of my favourite performance moments of any movie is the interrogation scene in The Dark Knight.. specifically the part when Joker brings up Rachel, and Batman snaps. It's extremely horrifying, showing just how close to the edge Batman can get, and it had me actually worrying for the sociopathic murderer's safety. Unless Christian Bale is genuinely that scary (and I know there's some lighting technicians who would say he is), that would have taken a fair amount of acting.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 247
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 28/8/2013 11:28:45 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

Well, I do genuinely think he'll be a bad Batman. And this is because of Daredevil (his only performance in a movie of this kind we have to go on). Said from day one, I think he'll be a great Bruce Wayne, though.

As for his looks? He wouldn't be the first "pretty boy" actor I've enjoyed. Couldn't give a crap about what happens in his personal life, and I'm even quite fond of one of his critical/commercial bombs that featured J-Lo (not sure which thread I said it in, but Jersey Girl might not be particularly great or original, but it's pretty sweet and heartwarming, and I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy it).

Also, the part of Batman requires acting as well. One of my favourite performance moments of any movie is the interrogation scene in The Dark Knight.. specifically the part when Joker brings up Rachel, and Batman snaps. It's extremely horrifying, showing just how close to the edge Batman can get, and it had me actually worrying for the sociopathic murderer's safety. Unless Christian Bale is genuinely that scary (and I know there's some lighting technicians who would say he is), that would have taken a fair amount of acting.

It's been 10 years since Daredevil. A lot can change in that time and Affleck himself is proof of of this. I think he's done enough these last few years to warrant a crack at it.

He could well be shit but then there is no garauntee with any casting be it Brolin, Gosling, Hamm whoever. Casting wise though Nolan and Snyder have been on the money thus far so I see no reason to panic just yet.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 28/8/2013 11:30:52 PM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 248
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 29/8/2013 1:49:51 PM   
pete_traynor

Daredevil!!!!

People sure do have long memories for relatively insignificant events!

Some thing’s (the holocaust for example) should never, ever be forgotten! But an Affleck misstep from a decade ago!!! Think we can let that one slide now no… especially given his recent form.

And if there’s no utterly ludicrous constipation/throat cancer growl… he’ll already be giving Bale a run for his money in my book

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 249
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 29/8/2013 2:09:39 PM   
AxlReznor

Fairly insignificant event it may be, but it still remains more relevant to this topic than his "current form", because his current form is in movies that are not in any way similar to Batman, whereas Daredevil is practically the same character, except in red instead of black. If there's anything that's going to give an indication of what he'll be like as Batman, it's Daredevil, not Argo.

Post #: 250
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 29/8/2013 3:34:24 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

Fairly insignificant event it may be, but it still remains more relevant to this topic than his "current form", because his current form is in movies that are not in any way similar to Batman, whereas Daredevil is practically the same character, except in red instead of black. If there's anything that's going to give an indication of what he'll be like as Batman, it's Daredevil, not Argo.

Strikes me as too harsh that people are writing him off because he was in a shite comic book film a decade ago. Especially as he’s turned in good performances of late.

But hey ho… to each their own

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 251
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 29/8/2013 3:43:40 PM   
Artoo

quote:

Batman's not blind. Or ginger. Or scraping together a living working as a lawyer with a concience, nor does he have super senses or a p[enchant for acrobatics. But yeah - practically the same character!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 252
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 29/8/2013 6:23:35 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

Batman's not blind. Or ginger. Or scraping together a living working as a lawyer with a concience, nor does he have super senses or a p[enchant for acrobatics. But yeah - practically the same character!

Batman and Daredevil are practically the same character (aside from the blindness replaced by "supersense" thing)... Bruce Wayne and Matt Murdock are not.
Almost the only difference in their costumes is the colour, and both run around the rooftops at night being all moody (which is in stark contrast to the majority of Marvel's characters).

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 253
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 29/8/2013 10:42:03 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Batman and Daredevil are practically the same character (aside from the blindness replaced by "supersense" thing)... Bruce Wayne and Matt Murdock are not.

Almost the only difference in their costumes is the colour, and both run around the rooftops at night being all moody (which is in stark contrast to the majority of Marvel's characters).

If we're expected to judge it purely on that criteria Affleck did the costumed bits in Daredevil perfectly fine. And again, it's ten years later - he has improved as an actor.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 254
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 9:21:11 AM   
Artoo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Batman has armour and a cape. Daredevil has neither! Sorry Axl!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 255
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 10:01:14 AM   
pete_traynor

Not too up to speed on the old Daredevil knowledge so forgive me but…. Does he have a secret lair in a cave… Does he have a cool car… or bike... or silly spaceship/hovercraft type vehicle… Did he ever have a sidekick with suggested homoerotic undertones… does he work closely with the police commissioner in whatever city he operates in… do people shine a huge searchlight in the sky when they need him…

Clarification on these points would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 256
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 10:35:21 AM   
Artoo

quote:

Not too up to speed on the old Daredevil knowledge so forgive me but…. Does he have a secret lair in a cave… Does he have a cool car… or bike... or silly spaceship/hovercraft type vehicle… Did he ever have a sidekick with suggested homoerotic undertones… does he work closely with the police commissioner in whatever city he operates in… do people shine a huge searchlight in the sky when they need him…

Nope, nope, nope, nope and........nope! He does have a cane though........

Post #: 257
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 10:48:21 AM   
AxlReznor

None of this is relevant to what the characters are like... ie: How they act.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 258
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 11:55:37 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

Not too up to speed on the old Daredevil knowledge so forgive me but…. Does he have a secret lair in a cave… Does he have a cool car… or bike... or silly spaceship/hovercraft type vehicle… Did he ever have a sidekick with suggested homoerotic undertones… does he work closely with the police commissioner in whatever city he operates in… do people shine a huge searchlight in the sky when they need him

The guys blind; be a bit harsh if they did...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

Post #: 259
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 12:16:15 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

Not too up to speed on the old Daredevil knowledge so forgive me but…. Does he have a secret lair in a cave… Does he have a cool car… or bike... or silly spaceship/hovercraft type vehicle… Did he ever have a sidekick with suggested homoerotic undertones… does he work closely with the police commissioner in whatever city he operates in… do people shine a huge searchlight in the sky when they need him

The guys blind; be a bit harsh if they did...

Oh yeah... that much about him I did actually know

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 260
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 12:18:24 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

Nope, nope, nope, nope and........nope! He does have a cane though........

A Michael one? Well, they have that in common then

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 261
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 1:15:56 PM   
ChudMonkey

You just know Affleck is going to knock this out of the park now and all the naysayers will be like "Bale Who?" come 2015....personally I think his recent acting gigs have shown a maturity in acting that will blend with the tone of Snyder's Man Of Steel really well (especially in Argo) and as much as I love Bale his version of Batman just wouldn't have worked with Cavill's Superman. You know what, this actually has me more excited than Star Wars VII and Avengers II

Oh and he was actually ok in Daredevil - it really wasn't his portrayal of Murdoch or Daredevil that were the problem...

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 262
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 1:39:03 PM   
MattTheBadger

Yep, agree with the above - there were problems with Daredevil but for me they weren't of Affleck's making. I can see him surprising us all on this one... Don't remember a huge amount of love for RDJ when the Iron Man casting was first announced, for instance.

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 263
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 1:58:06 PM   
Artoo

quote:

None of this is relevant to what the characters are like... ie: How they act.

Ok. So what are the similarities? Why are Batman and Daredevil so alike in your opinion, and why do you think Affleck having played Daredevil will have a negative impact on him playing Batman?

The only similarities I can see is that they are both Superheroes and they both knock around in similar city-scapes (Gotham and Hell's Kitchen I guess are kinda similar) and they both use the rooftops a lot! That's about it!

Not picking a fight or anything Axl, I'm genuinely interested in your opinion as a fellow comic-book fan!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 264
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 2:35:29 PM   
spark1

synder defends destruction overload in MOS-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a511157/man-of-steel-zack-snyder-defends-supermans-collateral-damage.html

less of that next time, ok?

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 265
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 3:19:07 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: MattTheBadger
Don't remember a huge amount of love for RDJ when the Iron Man casting was first announced, for instance.

Or Ledger! I laughed when my ex informed me of that.

Keaton was hardly a hit with fans either (50,000 letters of complaint to WB or something like that) when he was announced and he remains the definitive Batman to many, myself included.

And Anne Rice supposedly asked the suits if they were smoking crack when they suggested that Tom Cruise should play Lestat.

All of the above smashed it in those roles!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 30/8/2013 3:20:41 PM >

(in reply to MattTheBadger)
Post #: 266
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 30/8/2013 5:41:37 PM   
Vadersville

I don't get why everyone's jumping on the guy saying Batman and Daredevil are similar like he's talking out of his arse. I thought that was a pretty well-established and universally accepted comparison? I've even read that Kevin Smith has said that Affleck has always been a massive Batman fan and only did Daredevil because it was so similar he thought it was the closest he'd get to playing the Bat after he thought they weren't going to make any more after Batman & Robin. Apparently what swung it was when they said they would be basing the film on Frank Miller's work who wrote his favourite Batman story, The Dark Knight Returns. I actually remember saying to my mate who I saw Daredevil with in the cinema that it felt like they were trying to do Tim Burton's Batman by way of Raimi's Spider-Man.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 267
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 1/9/2013 4:02:32 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I think it's just that Axl is claiming the two characters are virtually interchangeable (or it comes across like that, at any rate) and that because Daredevil was a clunker it follows that Affleck will be automatically crap in the MoS sequel. Which a few people here disagree with. And I don't think anyone's seriously claiming there aren't similarities between the two characters.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 1/9/2013 4:04:21 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 268
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 1/9/2013 8:36:04 PM   
Deviation

I'm not sure why poor Affleck is only getting the blame for Daredevil. A lot, a lot, of things were wrong with that in the first place and not even casting Bale would have saved it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 269
RE: Ben Affleck is Batman - 1/9/2013 8:49:00 PM   
Private Hudson

Personally I don't think Ben Affleck is the worst choice at all. I think he may be pretty good. Surely better than the awful George Clooney Batman?

So if not Affleck who would you cast as the older Batman, as it appears they are looking for?

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Ben Affleck is Batman Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI