Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Worst director of all time?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Worst director of all time? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 4:49:47 PM   
Platter

I may have found the worst director of all time - Jonathan Levine.

I've just watched All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, which I thought was a steaming turd of a massive shite. I then IMDBed the movie and saw the director's credits:

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006)
The Wackness (2008)
50/50 (2011)
Warm Bodies (2013)

This is a seriously bad career.

I hate the first movie, failed to finish the next two and haven't seen the fourth. Publicity material makes Warm Bodies look like a poor film in my opinion, but with this track record I expect a terrible movie now.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane review:
Awful, woefully dull non-event of a film. Nothing happens for about an hour and then some brief, poorly staged action takes place; then it's topped off with a horribly fumbled twist. Just such a massive waste of time. The script is piss-poor and the direction very weak. The cinematography is a weird combination of over lit and under lit lighting along with pointless MTV style visual effects from time to time. All the characters are unlikable and the lead is one of the most boring people ever put on film. She is so boring that the writer struggles to put any dialogue in her mouth or sustain any conversations between her and the other characters. The whole thing was just an annoying, pointless bore. There wasn't much violence, and the kills were poorly filmed. For a slasher it had nothing to offer. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention at the end, but I didn't hear any explanation for the motivation of the bad guy. Why do no competent writers and directors ever make horror films? Why is it always left up to the talentless to make them? I hated this film. Truly terrible.

1 out of 10

The Wackness looked promising but I gave up on the movie about twenty or thirty minutes in as it annoyed me so much.

50/50 review:
It doesn't work, nothing was clicking. Eventually it became boring so I quit 50 minutes in after they pick up the two girls. A failed movie.

1 out of 10

< Message edited by Platter -- 16/6/2013 4:50:54 PM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4
Post #: 1
RE: Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 5:11:29 PM   
vad3r

1 out of 10 for your effort to troll.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 2
RE: Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 5:17:57 PM   
MonsterCat

Did Jonathan Levine set fire to your dog or something?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 3
RE: Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 5:22:27 PM   
vad3r

Next we'll have a bunch of other IMDBers claiming Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron, Nolan etc are actually the worst.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 5:37:09 PM   
elab49

I've no problem moving this if you want a Levine discussion - but we do already have an over-rated directors thread so any discussion of that sort can go in there. Discussion of individual films should really go in review threads though, but, as I said, I'm happy to move this as a general discussion of his work.

Vad3r - if you think someone's trolling inform the Moderation team. Your first post, under most definitions, would be categorised as trolling inofitself.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 5
RE: Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 5:50:50 PM   
DancingClown

I don't think 50/50 was a failed movie at all, I really enjoyed it. Based on the writer's real experiences with cancer I felt that it handled the dark humour in the subject matter deftly without trivialising it. Plus it was refreshing to see a gender reversal with the whole insensitive and selfish girlfriend/boyfriend role.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 16/6/2013 5:53:01 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 8:54:31 PM   
filmfanatic123

I thought 50/50 was excellent. I haven't seen any of the other three, but I really liked 50/50. It's genuinely funny, it's sweet, it's touching, and Anna Kendrick gives an almost faultless performance as the therapist.

< Message edited by filmfanatic123 -- 16/6/2013 8:55:25 PM >

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 7
RE: Worst director of all time? - 16/6/2013 9:07:48 PM   
BudBaxter

50/50 was superb. Probably the best film I saw that particular year.

Mandy Lane & The Wackness were shit though.

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 8
RE: Worst director of all time? - 17/6/2013 9:13:50 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

I may have found the worst director of all time - Jonathan Levine.

I've just watched All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, which I thought was a steaming turd of a massive shite. I then IMDBed the movie and saw the director's credits:

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006)
The Wackness (2008)
50/50 (2011)
Warm Bodies (2013)

This is a seriously bad career.

I hate the first movie, failed to finish the next two and haven't seen the fourth. Publicity material makes Warm Bodies look like a poor film in my opinion, but with this track record I expect a terrible movie now.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane review:
Awful, woefully dull non-event of a film. Nothing happens for about an hour and then some brief, poorly staged action takes place; then it's topped off with a horribly fumbled twist. Just such a massive waste of time. The script is piss-poor and the direction very weak. The cinematography is a weird combination of over lit and under lit lighting along with pointless MTV style visual effects from time to time. All the characters are unlikable and the lead is one of the most boring people ever put on film. She is so boring that the writer struggles to put any dialogue in her mouth or sustain any conversations between her and the other characters. The whole thing was just an annoying, pointless bore. There wasn't much violence, and the kills were poorly filmed. For a slasher it had nothing to offer. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention at the end, but I didn't hear any explanation for the motivation of the bad guy. Why do no competent writers and directors ever make horror films? Why is it always left up to the talentless to make them? I hated this film. Truly terrible.

1 out of 10

The Wackness looked promising but I gave up on the movie about twenty or thirty minutes in as it annoyed me so much.

50/50 review:
It doesn't work, nothing was clicking. Eventually it became boring so I quit 50 minutes in after they pick up the two girls. A failed movie.

1 out of 10

I have only seen 50/50 and Warm bodies but I and thought both films excellent. Infact Warm Bodies is amongst my favourites so far this year!

Ben Wheatley would be worst director I can think if recently.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 17/6/2013 9:17:49 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 9
RE: Worst director of all time? - 17/6/2013 1:36:27 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

[
I have only seen 50/50 and Warm bodies but I and thought both films excellent. Infact Warm Bodies is amongst my favourites so far this year!

Ben Wheatley would be worst director I can think if recently.

Agreed on 50/50 and Warm Bodies - excellent movies

Disagree on Ben Wheatley - Sightseers was my favourite film of 2012 by miles (Kill List was in my top 10 the year before)

I don't really have a worst director...even the shit ones have done the odd good movie (except maybe Brett Ratner)

< Message edited by ChudMonkey -- 17/6/2013 1:39:19 PM >

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 10
RE: Worst director of all time? - 17/6/2013 1:57:51 PM   
elab49

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3220718

well that didn't work. The link above is our existing director hating thread - further discussion can go there.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Worst director of all time? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI