Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Steven Spielberg And George Lucas Predict Gloom For Hollywood At E3

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Steven Spielberg And George Lucas Predict Gloom For Hollywood At E3 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steven Spielberg And George Lucas Predict Gloom For Hol... - 13/6/2013 11:07:38 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Already Here - 13/6/2013 12:34:10 PM   
marlo

the $50 movie experience is already here. That's about £33. By the time you have bought 2 3D Imax tickets at nearly £15 each then add a couple of drinks and sweets/popcorn at extortionate cinema prices and you are spending about £40. It certainly makes me think twice about which movies to see at the cinema and which to wait for on DVD. I definately go less than I used to.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Already Here - 13/6/2013 12:39:44 PM   
Osric

quote:

ORIGINAL: marlo

the $50 movie experience is already here. That's about 33. By the time you have bought 2 3D Imax tickets at nearly 15 each then add a couple of drinks and sweets/popcorn at extortionate cinema prices and you are spending about 40. It certainly makes me think twice about which movies to see at the cinema and which to wait for on DVD. I definately go less than I used to.

So stop bothering with Imax, get a Cineworld pass that gets you as many cinema trips as you want for 15 a month, and if you must eat shit through the whole film, smuggle it in.

(in reply to marlo)
Post #: 3
they speak the truth - 13/6/2013 1:19:05 PM   
leroythemasochist

the young upstarts may snort their derision at this coupla old movie brats moaning on about how 'it ain't like it used to be' and maybe that's fair comment but let's just assess for a moment.
What movies are being made now?
Comic book movies.
Pretty much across the board blockbusters have been swallowed whole by the comic industry. And even if your movie isn't an adaptation of an actual comic the visuals are so ludicrous it might as well be. We all love a bit of silly nonsense in our movies but when CGI wipes away all elements of human capability and shows stars doing the most outrageous stunts and coming out unscathed, it only ramps up the pressure to make more and more ott movies.
Let me repeat, I LOVE ACTION MOVIES. I love sci fi, i sorta love some comic book movies but surely there's something else out there??
TV is in a golden era right now and maybe it will take over. I know that being a parent and finding the time to go to the movies to see something other than Epic is a tall order! This is another factor and so you end up watching grown up movies at home on ya big screen with surround sound and as much pop corn and fizzy pop as you can handle.
I shall miss the cinema when it goes as for me it was a vital piece of my childhood and its sad that my kids won't experience it in the same way.

Post #: 4
Surprise surprise, Lucas doesn't know the value of money - 13/6/2013 3:17:26 PM   
lsdbaby

Also unsurprising; the people who championed 3D as the next big thing in cinema are now predicting the doom of the medium.

The issue, as with all modern entertainment, is price. $250 million on one film is completely unsustainable and unnecessary. I agree that simultaneous digital and theatre releases are probably the best ways to beat the pirates but that only works if people are being charged a fair price to watch the film in the first place.

Example: I love superhero films but I will not go and see Wolverine at the cinema. No way, regardless of the reviews. The previous film was so bad I’m not risking £30 for my wife and I to go and see another potential disaster. However, if it only cost us £15-£20 to go and see, I might give Logan a second chance.

It’s a time of austerity, shave your budgets like everyone else, reduce cinema prices and the people will gladly watch a film legitimately.

Post #: 5
These two - 13/6/2013 3:23:59 PM   
nybras

Raped our childhood and messed up Star Wars and Indie 4.

Post #: 6
Look what you created - 13/6/2013 4:24:01 PM   
fish that roared

Odd comment from the pair of them considering Spielberg and Lucas were responsible for the birth of the blockbuster in the first place with Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, Jurassic Park etc.

Post #: 7
- 13/6/2013 4:26:45 PM   
Whistler

But didn't everyone think cinema was over when VHS came about? And now look at it. Despite the prices, cinema is too popular to just dwindle away.

Post #: 8
they have a point - 13/6/2013 5:19:52 PM   
FlashyCactus

in fact i think one of the highest contributions to the fall of Cinema is going to be illegal downloads

Post #: 9
Keep calm and make films - 13/6/2013 6:25:05 PM   
Alex M...

If you are passionate enough about something enough it doesn't matter...

Post #: 10
Hollywood needs to up it's game - 13/6/2013 7:31:44 PM   
danbo1138

TV is catching up because HW is lazy,sequel after sequel and remake after reboot,all full of shiny teeth and the rejects from 90210.

Post #: 11
RE: Keep calm and make films - 13/6/2013 7:32:45 PM   
Charles B. Potatoes

Stop bringing out movies in unnecessary 3-d. The money being spent on this dead end technology is responsible for the increase in cinema prices.

If you ask me Skywalker was bloody lucky to turn off his guidance system.

(in reply to Alex M...)
Post #: 12
Scared - 13/6/2013 7:34:13 PM   
danielthompson99

Yeah, with Joss Whedon, JJ Abrahms, Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan at the controls, we are all in trouble.
Jealous much ?

Post #: 13
Hang on, no one's talking about 'demise' or 'fall of Ho... - 13/6/2013 8:00:04 PM   
Nicky C

... they're talking about a much-needed change to the business model, and I think a change is needed. I'd love Hollywood to cap budgets and keep films in theatres for longer. Right now, they have a 'smash and grab' mentality where they spend a quarter of a billion and the metric for success is a 72-hour period i.e. opening weekend. Why not spend less, charge less and keep films in theatres for longer? Smaller, local theatres as well, not soulless multiplexes, which are just awful. Also, expand the properties into accompanying TV and graphic novels. How long has their been talk of a Star Wars TV show? And only now are they doing it? That should have happened 10 years ago! I think the answers are not as elusive as some would make out. They're just not being done!

Post #: 14
RE: Keep calm and make films - 13/6/2013 8:15:21 PM   
Nicky C

Care to prove it? 3D conversions cost about $5M. Recouping that means only having to take an extra $10M at the box office. Marketing a worldwide release, however, costs $60M. Recouping that means having to take $120M at the box office. Are you seriously saying that 3D creates more of a financial risk than the current, piss-poor, marketing model? Just do the maths, man.

(in reply to Charles B. Potatoes)
Post #: 15
RE: Hollywood needs to up it's game - 13/6/2013 8:17:15 PM   
Nicky C

I agree completely. It's all about the quality of the writing for me. How much does it cost to make a season of Breaking Bad compared to a meaningless, needless turd like Battleship?

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 16
RE: Hollywood needs to up it's game - 13/6/2013 8:49:41 PM   
dolfinack

What are these guys on? It costs me 6 to see a movie.

3 on the cheapo deal days.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 17
RE: Hollywood needs to up it's game - 13/6/2013 8:57:46 PM   
Cool Breeze

I respect lucas and Spielberg very much because they are responsible for many of the best cinema experiences of my filmgoing life, however i think they are wrong on the idea of hollywood heading for some sort of '' implosion ''.

There have always been and will continue to be box office flops but since box office records are being broken seemingly every year now it looks like cinema is going to continue to thrive while they churn out safe bet comic book movies and reboots.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to dolfinack)
Post #: 18
RE: Hollywood needs to up it's game - 13/6/2013 9:12:43 PM   
dolfinack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

There have always been and will continue to be box office flops but since box office records are being broken seemingly every year now it looks like cinema is going to continue to thrive while they churn out safe bet comic book movies and reboots.

Churn out being the operative phrase.

I think I'm more concerned with the quality of films these days. I'd say the percentage of good films is down at about 5% and that's being conservative. 19 out of 20 films I see are complete crap. And they're the ones I actually choose to go to!

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 19
CGI may ultimately kill Hollywood - 13/6/2013 11:54:35 PM   
sifter132

The other reason for movies to implode in future is numbness to CGI. Starting from Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park, and probably Avatar being the notable benchmark, we've seen directors able to tell absolutely ANY story, no restriction any more and able to tell it on camera via CGI. But once audiences are dulled to that, there is nowhere to go. Already we are seeing big budget films needing to go bigger, further, more ridiculous - because if they don't have these epic chases/battles/landscapes etc. , audiences will go 'meh'. There has to be an end to that at some point.

< Message edited by sifter132 -- 13/6/2013 11:55:37 PM >

Post #: 20
Industry better listen. - 14/6/2013 6:29:31 AM   
mmoreloc21

I read a report last year that predicted theaters would have to lower prices due to lack of audience. I can see that already. I am an avid movie goer and didn't think I would ever quit going. With today's technology and home entertainment getting so much better, it is becoming more logical to stay at home. I just attended sneak peek of Man of Steel and after several reminders to turn cell phones off people still had them on. One guy answered two calls and carried on conversation during movie. People talked thru majority of film. Who can afford to pay for a movie and then talk or text thru entire movie? Duncan Jones? Excuse me you are not even in the same universe of filmmaking that Spielberg and Lucas are. Theaters around here keep running go big or go home ads. Well, that is about all I'm lacking. A very big screen.

Post #: 21
RE: Scared - 14/6/2013 6:38:18 AM   
mmoreloc21

I doubt there is any jealousy here. They are speaking in terms of films going to TV formats to avoid costly theater releases. I'm sure the Directors you named are concerned as well. But keep in mind that Box Office amounts put up by their movies was put up with probably half or less ticket sales than say Spielberg's E.T. or Lucas's original Star Wars.

(in reply to danielthompson99)
Post #: 22
Reminds me... - 14/6/2013 7:00:12 AM   
partybee

of an Eric Clapton interview on the Frank Skinner show in the late 90's where he declared rock n roll all but dead and it was "all DJs now". Not saying some change isn't afoot, but I detect a hint of incredulity at the journey of their recent films.

Post #: 23
Agree to an extent - 14/6/2013 9:03:45 AM   
Don_Lyall

I think they're right that the business model needs to change.

They're talking about cinema's having a tough time making it work - well, how does that reconcile with Hollywood? Sounds to me like they need to make things easier for the middle-men, because they're right that Netflix has changed the game. They can't blame Netflix et al. for bringing the content to the fans - the bigger beasts like Paramount, Fox etc need to change the way they think.

It's also worth noting that you're going to get pretty select opinions on a movie site. Film is important to me; but to the vast majority of people it's an hour and a half killed. Maybe Vue et al. will die off and it'll be *more* about small cinemas that cost quite a bit but cater to Empire-type fans.

And, personally, I find it a bit hilarious that George Fucking Lucas is pulling the 'Streets of Philadelphia, ain't life tough' bit on us. That bit I'm fine with; I'm not jumping off bridges because I missed the fact that the director of 'Star Wars 6: The Younglings! In an Adventure with Emo Adolescent' made an arthouse flick I didn't see.

Post #: 24
then don't make Tin Tin 2 - 14/6/2013 10:03:20 AM   
Hughezyvstheworld

all that money to do CGI humans?! JUST USE HUMANS AND SAVE $100 MILLION AND YA.... LEMON JELLY!

Post #: 25
RE: Hollywood needs to up it's game - 14/6/2013 12:41:13 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: dolfinack

What are these guys on? It costs me 6 to see a movie.

3 on the cheapo deal days.

WTF? Are you a student or something?

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that 3D will be around in 10 years and if it is, it will probably be the the tent-pole movies (or even just a few of them) that will use it. It hasn't been the success that the likes of Cameron were saying/hoping it was going to be, and the only reason it's being pushed with any kind of vigor is because of the money that cinema's have (perhaps been forced) to outlay on the equipment. In home entertainment, 3D has been an utter flop (ESPN has just shut down its 3D channel) and it looks as if viewers are much more enthusiastic about higher-resolution technology. I can't pull figures out to support my argument, but I have a strong suspicion that 3D films have only been profitable because many chains have made films available in that format only (or given a greatly diminished run/showing times to the 2D counterparts), artificially inflating its popularity.

I have found it slightly strange how films budgets have ballooned so much. Computer technology is fairly ubiquitous, and you can do way more on them now for a lower price. I can only assume its because many of these big budget movies are so effects intensive, that it's more the number of people that they have to employ to do the effects work that is putting the price up (though I am aware of the looming strikes in the effects industry over complaints over work load and demands from directors). The continuing upwards rise of salaries of the actors is probably something that should be looked at as well. When studios are churning out vanity projects like After Earth for stars such as Will Smith, I bet a large proportion of profits goes straight back to people like Smith with the deals tied into the contracts. They drop huge sums of money on films like that which tank, when they may just as well have piled the budget in a warehouse somewhere and have the late Heath Ledger's Joker come and set fire to it.

Whilst I wouldn't agree with Spielberg and Lucas that the industry is outright doomed, something does need to change. If cinema's allowed tickets prices to boom to those absurd levels, I think people would outright just stop going, no matter how much of a 'luxury' it might seem.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to dolfinack)
Post #: 26
RE: Steven Spielberg And George Lucas Predict Gloom For... - 14/6/2013 2:35:02 PM   
My name is Legion

Bollocks.

Lucas hasn't directed a good film since the 70's, and Spielberg is a shadow of the director he once was (if you disagree, watch Raiders then Crystal Skull right after, then get back to me). They're talking shit because others have taken over from them.

Four films made over a billion dollars last year, one so far this year and there will be more. With the "foreign" market expanding vastly recently, Box Office grosses will continue to rise.

Post #: 27
no you idiots - 14/6/2013 7:31:53 PM   
chapstick

Some of you must live with nothing but box art to read. The reason that the film business is imploding is for the same reason every other thing is collapsing, we're in a Depression. In the US, first run movies and top venues cost you between $12-$15 to get through the door. Concessions for two will set you back nearly another $20. A decent meal will cost at least $40. So the quintessential date, dinner and a movie, is going to run you nearly $90. Who the hell has that kind of money? Far fewer, that's why HW has been pushing out the Judd Apatow crap for nearly 10 years, that is geared to kids who won't pay for dinner and a movie, but will go strictly for the flick. Sentient adults cannot afford to see the 'Lincolns' of the world, they're struggling to pay for basic cable. THAT'S why HW is imploding, not because so and so is old and over the hill, you stupid yobs. It's because the studios are so larded down with debt service, administrative overhead, Wall Street demands for higher returns on the money they lend to make this stuff, and such, that $10 to $20 million budget films are simply to small to cover the overhead and sunk costs. To see for yourselves, just look at the credit scroll for films of the late 70's/early 80's, and compare that with those for current movies. That's the problem, and the studios will not cut their overhead in order to make far more reasonably budgeted movies....

Post #: 28
This is what they get ... - 16/6/2013 4:37:07 PM   
Nicky C

... for giving their most powerful executive roles to people who don't watch movies for a living and greenlight projects based on bullshit profit projections. People do and always have wanted nothing more than to be engaged and surprised. Be interesting and stop spending so much money on marketing techniques that are out of date! Go small, go quirky, go viral.

Post #: 29
RE: Agree to an extent - 16/6/2013 4:41:53 PM   
Nicky C

LOL. True man, and nicely put ... look at the sullen faces on the poor hapless billionaires. They look like they haven't had a 7-course meal all week.

(in reply to Don_Lyall)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Steven Spielberg And George Lucas Predict Gloom For Hollywood At E3 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI