Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Films with cultural significance beyond the cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films with cultural significance beyond the cinema Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Films with cultural significance beyond the cinema - 10/6/2013 5:05:55 PM   
ChudMonkey

My brother and I were recently discussing the lack of films in recent years that transcend the medium they are in to become so culturally significant that they become part of everyday vocabulary. To explain further...think about how much Star Wars has infiltrated all walks of life to the extent that Yoda can advertise a mobile phone network

As a teenager I remember the likes of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting being more than just a movie....everyone had a poster on their wall, the songs on the soundtracks were played everywhere and made obscure bands famous (Urge Overkill / Underworld). Fashion copied from those movies, comedy writers regularly spoofed them...in short these movies became part of the cultural landscape.

Do you think any movies have done that again recently...I thought Drive might (iconic poster, cool soundtrack, "that jacket") but it never really took hold in the same way as some of those films mentioned above.

Thoughts / opinions?

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films with cultural significance beyond the cinema Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI