Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Iceman - 10/6/2013 4:06:38 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Cant wait to see this... - 10/6/2013 4:06:38 PM   
Sparkykelly69

I have already read the book on which the film is based, and ive watched 2 documentaries Richard Kuklinski done while in prison (1992 & 2001) and im really looking forward to this movie. He truely was a one of a kind, both in his methods of murder aswell as being an outsider working for everyone in the mafia, but never fitting in as he wasn't Italian, but this separation is what made him so unique.
After reading the book it gives you more of an insight into movies such as Goodfella's and tv show The Sopranos.
The man was cold as ice, both inside and out, and im sure Shannon will do the character justice. the studio's should have released the movie at least a week ago, but where hoping that fans clammering for Man of Steel with get their Shannon fix with this movie one week before we see Zod on screen.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
The Iceman. - 17/8/2013 8:37:20 PM   
quotza

Missed Opportunity,
Having read the book and watched the documentaries of Richard Kuklinsky I awaited the release of The Iceman with interest. Wow what a disappointment.
There was little information about the supporting characters (Roy Demeo and the horrors of the Gemini lounge) and his link to the mafia.In the book to prove himself to Demeo Kuklinsky got out from the car and shot a man walking his dog in the back of the head,. In the movie he shoots a bum not the same impact. Why alter this,to shoot an innocent man walking his dog sets Kuklinsky in a different category, he wasn't killing part of the underbelly world that he inhabited but stepped into "normal life" and snubbed out one of its players.
This early in the film raised concerns. After being mocked in a bar Kuklinsky followed his abuser and set light to the car with him in it , in the movie he slits his throat. To me not as powerful.
If you watch the interviews Kuklinsky was not a Zombie like unsmiling character,he was a humorous self assured physco.I watched this movie with my son and we agreed that the characters were shallow and we were left with the feeling that no matter if the stories Kuklinsky told were true or not ,this was such a wasted chance to make a movie that would document the different characters with some historical depth. Very disappointing.

Post #: 3
Shannon's excellent, as ever ... - 21/1/2014 11:44:46 AM   
Nicky C

... but the script isn't focused enough and the direction is too pedestrian to impress. There are a lot of familiar beats and the camera never really gets inside Kuklinski's mind. There's a lot of what I would call 'reportage' as opposed to cinema here. Shame, because there's a great cast here and a movie like this really needs to be as unique as the man (meaning Shannon or Kuklinsky, BTW).

Post #: 4
RE: Shannon's excellent, as ever ... - 10/4/2014 1:06:38 PM   
Vitamin F

I was pleasantly surprised by The Iceman, but couldn't help but feel that this could have been truly great and not just good, if it had fallen into the hands of a better director - while Scorsese is too obvious these days for such a story, someone like Ben Affleck could have really given this the touch it needs and upped the brutality & tension a few notches.
It's still a pretty tense film as is, due to the cracking story arc presented by this particular script of events, but something more true to real life could have been on a par with the better Mafia based films released. Great casting all round too (and that includes Winona Ryder!)

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Iceman Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI