Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What overated films will be future duds?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What overated films will be future duds? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 5:13:43 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChudMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

So who - other than people such as yourself who currently dislike it - is going to think it's a dud in years to come?

Lots of people, they will watch the trilogy thru in years to come and realise when they get to TDKR that is was just an inferior copy of TDK but nowhere near as good and in so many ways completely inferior and plain dreadful!. They will watch every seen with Alfred and Bruce in and just laugh at how unnecessary, overwritten , hammy and corny those particular scenes are! (they should be doing this now mind). Tom Hardy was wasted and the Bane character , apart from some amusing quips was completely short changed and underdeveloped.

So because you personally don't like a film everyone who does like it has simply got it wrong and one day they'll realise the truth? Jesus Christ.

Taking things pretty personally aren't you? People are expressing their opinions on movies....it would be quite nice if you did the same....whether we agree on your opinions or not.

I personally think some movies are overrated by the general populace, critics and the movie industry as a whole and I believe in the future many people (but not all) will feel the same way. General consensus is that Zero Dark Thirty and The Impossible and great movies....my opinion is that they are not...I'm not forcing anyone to believe me, I just believe in the future the general populace, critics and the movie industry won't be quite so appreciative of those movies (I could be wrong, I could be right but none of us can predict the future... )

Fanboys for you.

It doesn't matter what film you're talking about - I don't like the LOTR trilogy or Star Trek but I'd say exactly the same thing if someone said they were overrated.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 61
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 5:18:57 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

So who - other than people such as yourself who currently dislike it - is going to think it's a dud in years to come?

Lots of people, they will watch the trilogy thru in years to come and realise when they get to TDKR that is was just an inferior copy of TDK but nowhere near as good and in so many ways completely inferior and plain dreadful!. They will watch every seen with Alfred and Bruce in and just laugh at how unnecessary, overwritten , hammy and corny those particular scenes are! (they should be doing this now mind). Tom Hardy was wasted and the Bane character , apart from some amusing quips was completely short changed and underdeveloped.

So because you personally don't like a film everyone who does like it has simply got it wrong and one day they'll realise the truth? Jesus Christ.

Taking things pretty personally aren't you? People are expressing their opinions on movies....it would be quite nice if you did the same....whether we agree on your opinions or not.

I personally think some movies are overrated by the general populace, critics and the movie industry as a whole and I believe in the future many people (but not all) will feel the same way. General consensus is that Zero Dark Thirty and The Impossible and great movies....my opinion is that they are not...I'm not forcing anyone to believe me, I just believe in the future the general populace, critics and the movie industry won't be quite so appreciative of those movies (I could be wrong, I could be right but none of us can predict the future... )

True, but when someone uses the term 'overrated' they're not expressing an opinion on the film, they're expressing an opinion on the people who like the film. And coming to the conclusion that the people who like it have got it wrong, in actual fact they've been fooled into believing the film was great and one day they'll realise the truth. It's laughably ridiculous, the height of arrogance and the type of meaningless critical thinking most people leave behind when they're about 12.

No I'm not - I am expressing the fact that I don't think these movies are as good as other people think they are. I'm not saying directly to anyone that they are wrong I just don't agree with their assessment....How does it work the other way when people tell everyone how good a movie is and that you're wrong if you don't think the same?

If you disagree so wholeheartedly with what this thread is about then why bother coming on here and leaving so many pedantic statements on the nature on what overrated means? Go to a thread where you can discuss films you like or dislike - just like we are doing here

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 62
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 6:57:20 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

If you disagree so wholeheartedly with what this thread is about then why bother coming on here and leaving so many pedantic statements on the nature on what overrated means?

I think it's important, pedantic or not, as the thread is specifically about films that are apparently overrated, a word to which enough importance has been attributed for it to have its own thread, even though it's just another list of recent films that people don't like. To suggest that contributors are going beyond that somehow is disingenuous. It's just the same old shit that belongs in the Unpopular Opinion thread, a thread which has more in common with the notion of a supposedly overrated film because it invites the poster to express a view that might contradict so-called mass opinion. The word overrated belongs in there because it's a base and simple-minded criticism. Keep it there. Why make a seperate thread that just recycles the same shit under the pretence of a differently worded banner?

quote:

Go to a thread where you can discuss films you like or dislike - just like we are doing here

By your own rationale the existence of this thread is redundant. If there are other threads where people can express their dislike of films for whatever reason, and there are plenty, surely the point of this thread is moot because it's not offering anything new.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 11/6/2013 7:04:25 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 63
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 7:43:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Back on topic...would The Matrix ( which was deemed as a classic at the time) be held in less regard now because of the poor critical reception given out to the sequels, especially by fans of the original film? I myself always thought the original was overRated but do think it is still a decent action film.

Only if your a fucking idiot. If you let sequels or remakes ruin your enjoyment of the original films then you never really liked it that much in the first place.

This thread would be much better if you gave reasons why you think the films are overrated.

Ok first of all, using language like that is rude and unwarranted.It just makes you look like a troll.

Second, i am only expressing my OPINION on what is overrated.In my OPINION the original Matrix is pretty decent but not worth all the praise that it got.I actually enjoyed the sequels more.Maybe because i wasnt crazy about the first film, i did not have such high expectations as others did.

You may have a diferent opinion and thats fine and feel free to express it in a dignified manner without resorting to childish name calling thank you.

And by the way, anyone who dislikes the topic of this thread doesnt have to read it and post here.Its not like im making you.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 11/6/2013 7:46:36 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 64
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 8:35:28 PM   
Scott_

Sorry dude, that wasn't aimed at you CB. I just find the idea that a bad sequel or remake would sully somebodys enjoyment of the original film stupid, if we let that happen there'd be no films to enjoy with the way Hollywood keeps churning out shit like Die Hard 5 and if anybody does think like that then yes, they would be a fucking idiot.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 65
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 8:37:29 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Sorry dude, that wasn't aimed at you CB. I just find the idea that a bad sequel or remake would sully somebodys enjoyment of the original film stupid, if we let that happen there'd be no films to enjoy with the way Hollywood keeps churning out shit like Die Hard 5 and if anybody does think like that then yes, they would be a fucking idiot.

Fair enough Scott_

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 66
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 9:45:41 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

The arrogance and sheer stupidity of this statement is absolutely astounding.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/6/2013 9:49:20 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 67
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 9:50:22 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Guys, guys, guys - I thinky you've ALL misunderstood the point of the thread...

The title clearly asks what overated films - I think CB is talking about films that have eaten WAY too much food.

Also, fair play to you CB for completely ignoring the unrelated comments you've pretty much begged people to leave on record.

Thanks great_badir.There does seem to be a misunderstanding about what overated means.It doesnt necessarily mean that a film is absolute rubbish.For example, i really like Blade Runner but i do not think it is the absolute masterpiece that many make it out to be.On the other hand, i think the LOTR films are totally overated and i hate them with a passion.

You do know he was taking the piss because you spelled 'overrated' wrong, right? Lovingly taking the piss, mind, not nastily.

I think your post is overated..sorry, OVERRATED.

And im ignoring certain posts because i have certain trolls on this site blocked so i cant see what they are posting.

Back on topic...would The Matrix ( which was deemed as a classic at the time) be held in less regard now because of the poor critical reception given out to the sequels, especially by fans of the original film? I myself always thought the original was overRated but do think it is still a decent action film.

The Matrix was in the 30s on the IMDb Top 250 when the sequels were released.  It's now at #19.  So... no?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 68
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:07:57 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

I definitely agree with this. Never believed that a sequel to a classic, no matter how bad, can tarnish its predecessor. Biggest example: the Jaws sequels. Awful, yes, but have they done any damage to the original's status as one of the greats? Nope.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 69
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 10:31:23 AM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

If you disagree so wholeheartedly with what this thread is about then why bother coming on here and leaving so many pedantic statements on the nature on what overrated means?

I think it's important, pedantic or not, as the thread is specifically about films that are apparently overrated, a word to which enough importance has been attributed for it to have its own thread, even though it's just another list of recent films that people don't like. To suggest that contributors are going beyond that somehow is disingenuous. It's just the same old shit that belongs in the Unpopular Opinion thread, a thread which has more in common with the notion of a supposedly overrated film because it invites the poster to express a view that might contradict so-called mass opinion. The word overrated belongs in there because it's a base and simple-minded criticism. Keep it there. Why make a seperate thread that just recycles the same shit under the pretence of a differently worded banner?

You see that is where my opinion of what this thread is about differs from the opinions of folks who keep coming on here and criticising posters for calling films overrated.

The Unpopular Opinion thread is where I would post about films that I might think are good or bad that contradicts the popular opinion of the public, critics and the movie industry in general. So for instance, I would be able to post that I think The Lord Of The Rings is an awful set of films in that thread but would not post it in this thread.....
Why Not?
Well, I may hate Lord Of The Rings Trilogy but I am under no illusion that they will ever be seen as "duds" - my opinion of the films will never become the popular opinion...hence it is relevant for me to post that opinion in the unpopular opinion thread.

With films like The Impossible or Zero Dark Thirty my opinion is still that they are awful films and it is my belief that in the fullness of time others will also see that they are not as good as the public, critics and movie industry in general see them to be right now.

So, this is not just a list of recent films that people don't like....there's plenty of recent films that are deemed great films that I don't like but I think people will always love those films - the films posted about on this thread are films that currently people love but have the potential (in the posters opinion) to be less loved in the future.

Therefore, those films are overrated currently and have the potential to be duds In the future.....this is only the opinion of the poster, the poster is not criticising anyone who thinks differently...they are just looking at current films that are universally loved that, in the future, may be re-evaluated by the public, critics and the movie industry in general. You see I BELIEVE that The Impossible and Zero Dark Thirty are overrated (and I don't see why it's such a problem for me to have that opinion) and I BELIEVE in the future they will be seen as duds.

Now admittedly the wording of the thread title is not what I would have chosen...I would probably have said "Which films that most people love now do you think will be seen differently in ten years time" (just an example of how I might have worded it - don't leap on this and start tearing it apart) - it fundamentally invites posters to offer opinions in the same way that this current thread title does but without using this "controversial" word overrated.

Superman Returns for instance is a great example of such a film that followed this pattern...5 star reviews, excellent box office (more than Batman Begins I read somewhere but have no idea if that is true or not) but over time it is now considered something of a misstep and, in general, not a great film....(I'm sure someone is going to come on here now and tell me that Superman Returns is amazing - to which I say, yes it is ...I love it...I'm talking about the popular opinion) So, an overrated film that in the future was deemed a dud....just as the thread title suggests

Can we get on with the business of having a discussion about films now....

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 70
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 10:36:53 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

True, but when someone uses the term 'overrated' they're not expressing an opinion on the film, they're expressing an opinion on the people who like the film. And coming to the conclusion that the people who like it have got it wrong, in actual fact they've been fooled into believing the film was great and one day they'll realise the truth. It's laughably ridiculous, the height of arrogance and the type of meaningless critical thinking most people leave behind when they're about 12.

I never used the word `overrated`, thats your words freudian slip? You appear to have missed the point of the thread and gone off on one, just got your fanboy pants in a bunch. The question was asked for people opinions on which movies they think will be future duds, thats my choice and I backed it up with my opinion on why. Unless you are going to give your own choice and back it up, why don't you pop off to another thread. I might have to link this comment to the thread about worst cases of fanboyism..

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 71
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 10:39:15 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Aye up! what a surprise! MC pops up when someone disses TDKR Anyone with an opinion you don't like is arrogant and stupid? . That makes you what?....

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 72
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 10:44:22 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

Fanboys for you.

It doesn't matter what film you're talking about - I don't like the LOTR trilogy or Star Trek but I'd say exactly the same thing if someone said they were overrated.

Wow! that must make you the most dedicated Fanboy I have ever come across . So, are you saying you will defend with great vigour pretty much any movie someone says is overrated?.

Post #: 73
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 11:01:56 AM   
MonsterCat

As long as Horribleives does it in a respectable manner, why shouldn't he defend a film? We're on a place of discussion, no?

Problem is, you seem to think your opinion is final and unquestionable.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/6/2013 11:16:50 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 74
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 11:26:11 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Aye up! what a surprise! MC pops up when someone disses TDKR Anyone with an opinion you don't like is arrogant and stupid? . That makes you what?....

You couldn't make your trolling any more obvious even if you tried. Seriously, such an amateur attempt. Try harder.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/6/2013 11:27:02 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 75
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 11:50:11 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

Speaking as a non-Nolan fanboy will you please just fuck off...?

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 12/6/2013 12:20:39 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 76
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:05:41 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Speaking as a non-Nolan fanboy will you please just fuck off, (edited as DC has edited his post)

And the trinity is complete.
Still no opinion on the original post then guys?

oh and MC I am not remotely trolling, infact it is blatantly obvious if anyone read through this that you're trinity is trolling this thread.

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 12/6/2013 12:33:09 PM >

Post #: 77
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:07:55 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Still no opinion on the original post then guys? only here because I mentioned TDKR?

No, we loathe you regardless of what you're posting about.

quote:

Contribute the OP or go away.

Not likely, as he's a massive cnut as well. But as he very publicly blocked me he won't get to read that.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 12/6/2013 12:23:27 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 78
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:10:55 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Still no opinion on the original post then guys? only here because I mentioned TDKR?

No, we loathe you regardless of what you're posting about.

quote:

Contribute the OP or go away.

Not likely, as he's a massive cunt as well. But as he very publicly blocked me he won't get to read that.

naughty words! you are awesome!

Post #: 79
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:12:06 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

oh and MC I am not remotely trolling, infact it is blatantly obvious if anyone read through this that you're trinity is trolling this thread.

Hey, hey, at you least you tried, and that's the main thing, OK? You just need to brush up on your trolling skills a little bit. You also need to learn the difference between your and you're.

Now run along and play with your crayons, you little scamp.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/6/2013 12:14:51 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 80
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:17:47 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Hey, hey, at you least you tried, and that's the main thing, OK? You just need to brush up on your trolling skills a little bit.

You're right I should put more effort in this time, last time I got you to send me insulting PM's. Damn!......I'm a failure, I'm off to eat some crayons and then puke up the next Nolan screenplay!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 81
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:18:50 PM   
Drew_231

The problem with claiming things are 'overrated' is that you are basically saying that you're smarter than the people who like said book/film/whatever because only you have noticed everything that's wrong with it

I didn't think The Avengers was very good, but there's a lot of people here that do. I'm not right for seeing problems with it while they are not wrong for ignoring those problems.

At the same time, I don't need someone like Dannybohy pointing out all the problems with TDKR, I know they are there and enjoyed it anyway. People like different things,fucking get over it

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 82
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:19:04 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey, hey, at you least you tried, and that's the main thing, OK? You just need to brush up on your trolling skills a little bit.

You're right I should put more effort in this time, last time I got you to send me insulting PM's. Damn!......I'm a failure, I'm off to eat some crayons and then puke up the next Nolan screenplay!

There's no apostrophe in PMs.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 83
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:24:51 PM   
MonsterCat

Lying - the last resort of a desperate troll. This is getting sad now.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 84
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:27:13 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Guys back to the topic on hand please!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 85
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 12:50:16 PM   
great_badir

I can't even remember what the topic was now...something about corpulence in cinema?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 86
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 1:03:15 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

Surely the trolls are the ones coming in here and complaining about the thread topic and not contributing anything to it? If they don't like the thread then stay out and leave it to those who want to discuss the topic at hand.

ChudMonkey's post above was a good one explaining the purpose of the thread for those who can't figure it out.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 87
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 1:12:28 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Surely the trolls are the ones coming in here and complaining about the thread topic and not contributing anything to it? If they don't like the thread then stay out and leave it to those who want to discuss the topic at hand.

ChudMonkey's post above was a good one explaining the purpose of the thread for those who can't figure it out.

I think you should read what's been going on in this thread before doing your usual self-important "I'm way cooler than you" schtick.

Just a friendly suggestion, y'know?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/6/2013 1:15:13 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 88
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 1:19:17 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

quote:

Thankyou....not one of them has addressed the points I've made or started to discuss movies....

I know very little about the "politics" of this forum but as someone who just wanted to have an opinion in a thread I found interesting I have found the words and actions of some posters towards others to be quite pathetic.

If you're not gonna discuss films in a thread about films then why not go and find another one that you feel more comfortable with....or better still start your own thread where every word used is perfectly in keeping with your agenda

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 89
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 12/6/2013 1:20:24 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

quote:

I think you should read what's been going on in this thread before doing your usual self-important "I'm way cooler than you" schtick.

Just a friendly suggestion, y'know?

I have

I just fail to see why people are getting so upset about it as it's a potentially interesting topic if people offer good reasons.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What overated films will be future duds? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI