Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What overated films will be future duds?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What overated films will be future duds? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 10/6/2013 9:50:25 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Donnie Darko, if it isn't already.

Certainly overated.I wouldnt say that its seen as a dud now though.Like Shymalyan, its the directors subsequent work which may cause people to look back on it with less praise.Didnt the director make that critically derided film with The Rock and Sarah Michelle Gellar a few years later? Cant remember what it was called.

But who is it overrated by?

This is why I loathe the word "overrated" in this regard. It's basically meaningless as a criticism. All it means is a bunch of people loved/liked a film and someone else didn't. "Other people love this film...but I don't so it's overrated!" It's bollocks.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 31
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 10/6/2013 1:00:07 PM   
great_badir

Guys, guys, guys - I thinky you've ALL misunderstood the point of the thread...

The title clearly asks what overated films - I think CB is talking about films that have eaten WAY too much food.

Also, fair play to you CB for completely ignoring the unrelated comments you've pretty much begged people to leave on record.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 32
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 10/6/2013 8:27:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

The title clearly asks what overated films - I think CB is talking about films that have eaten WAY too much food.

Also, fair play to you CB for completely ignoring the unrelated comments you've pretty much begged people to leave on record.

Thanks great_badir.There does seem to be a misunderstanding about what overated means.It doesnt necessarily mean that a film is absolute rubbish.For example, i really like Blade Runner but i do not think it is the absolute masterpiece that many make it out to be.On the other hand, i think the LOTR films are totally overated and i hate them with a passion.

And thanks great_badir for pointing out that there are trolls on here who seem intent on derailing threads with childish name calling and personal insults.It is best just to ignore them ( They know who they are ) which is why the block button is a great feature on this site.

Back to the topic on hand....i think Whistler mentioned The Hurt Locker earlier.I do think that this film is highly overated and certainly didnt deserve all the praise it got.However, from my point of view, its still a decent enough film and dont think its really seen as a dud.But thats just me.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 33
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 10/6/2013 9:42:46 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Thanks great_badir.There does seem to be a misunderstanding about what overated means.It doesnt necessarily mean that a film is absolute rubbish.For example, i really like Blade Runner but i do not think it is the absolute masterpiece that many make it out to be.On the other hand, i think the LOTR films are totally overated and i hate them with a passion.

With those examples you have failed to define overrated in this so-called context and have contradicted yourself. They're only overrated from your perspective. It's subjective, innit. If something doesn't live up to its hype it still just comes down to individual opinion. You hate LOTR, loads of others love it. Same with Blade Runner. You consider them overrated, but I can't imagine them becoming duds simply because you don't appreciate them the way others do. And this isn't trolling, by the way, I just don't really understand the thrust of the thread and how it seems to be anything other than just naming a few recent films you don't quite like. Imagining how those films may or may not be perceived down the line just seems so...pointless?

But hey, never mind, life's too short for this shite.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 10/6/2013 9:58:57 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 34
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 10/6/2013 11:13:28 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

You do know he was taking the piss because you spelled 'overrated' wrong, right? Lovingly taking the piss, mind, not nastily.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 35
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 12:49:19 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

You do know he was taking the piss because you spelled 'overrated' wrong, right? Lovingly taking the piss, mind, not nastily.

I think your post is overated..sorry, OVERRATED.

And im ignoring certain posts because i have certain trolls on this site blocked so i cant see what they are posting.

Back on topic...would The Matrix ( which was deemed as a classic at the time) be held in less regard now because of the poor critical reception given out to the sequels, especially by fans of the original film? I myself always thought the original was overRated but do think it is still a decent action film.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 36
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 7:06:53 AM   
horribleives

But 'overrated' implies that the people who like it have got it wrong and it's actually not as good as they think it is - it's basically saying their opinion isn't as vaild as yours. I don't like Lord Of The Rings either but I wouldn't suggest my view is right and the people who like it have missed something. It's not only a meaningless phrase it's a rather arrogant one.
That's just in terms of films though - in real life, as we all know, the four most overrated things are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 37
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 12:22:04 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

the four most overrated things are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.

Did a lobster get you drunk and bugger you at a picnic?

Post #: 38
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 12:39:30 PM   
Scott_

quote:

Back on topic...would The Matrix ( which was deemed as a classic at the time) be held in less regard now because of the poor critical reception given out to the sequels, especially by fans of the original film? I myself always thought the original was overRated but do think it is still a decent action film.

Only if your a fucking idiot. If you let sequels or remakes ruin your enjoyment of the original films then you never really liked it that much in the first place.

This thread would be much better if you gave reasons why you think the films are overrated.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 39
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 12:56:31 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 40
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 1:21:53 PM   
Dannybohy

TDKR. Just wait and see

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 41
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 3:36:14 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

TDKR. Just wait and see

So who - other than people such as yourself who currently dislike it - is going to think it's a dud in years to come?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 42
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:06:12 PM   
ChudMonkey

The Impossible - apart from the initial tsunami it really isn't a very good film
Zero Dark Thirty - a completely unlikeable movie which no one will be talking about in 20 years time
Prometheus - too many apologists for this film (still) - lets get on thing straight, there have only ever been two great movies in the "Alien" mythology (Alien and Aliens) and one good movie (Alien 3). Prometheus will forever be the laughing stock of the franchise
The Iron Lady - nice Maggie impression - vacuous movie

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 43
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:09:01 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChudMonkey

The Impossible - apart from the initial tsunami it really isn't a very good film
Zero Dark Thirty - a completely unlikeable movie which no one will be talking about in 20 years time
Prometheus - too many apologists for this film (still) - lets get on thing straight, there have only ever been two great movies in the "Alien" mythology (Alien and Aliens) and one good movie (Alien 3). Prometheus will forever be the laughing stock of the franchise

All perfectly valid opinions. But how are the films overrated?

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 44
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:14:37 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

quote:

All four have been widely praised by critics (and, apart from Prometheus, have been up for major awards) but really aren't very good films - isn't that the definition of overrated?

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 45
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:17:12 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

All four have been widely praised by critics (and, apart from Prometheus, have been up for major awards) but really aren't very good films - isn't that the definition of overrated?

Says who?

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 46
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:20:07 PM   
Whistler

quote:

You do remember Alien: Resurrection don't you?

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 47
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:22:27 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Sadly not, I was just quoting Christopher Hitchens thought hat sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 48
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:23:11 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Says who?

as with everything it's subjective isn't it?...all I'm suggesting is that these films are highly praised but over time they won't be remembered (because they aren't actually good films). It's my opinion that they are not good films now but I believe that other people will feel the same way in the future

The title of this thread is what overrated films will be future duds. I believe these films are currently overrated and will be future duds....the point of a forum is to express your opinion, which I'm doing

The guy who started the thread suggests Iron Man 3 - who says that's overrated - certainly not me...It think it's underrated.. it is by far and away my favourite Marvel movie so far.

To each their own - if you want to argue about whether those movies are really overrated or not then please do - let me know your opinions on them...

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 49
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:27:02 PM   
horribleives

But if you call something overrated you're doing the complete opposite of respecting someone else's opinion - you're saying their opinion is wrong. You seriously think in ten years time all the people who loved Zero Dark Thirty are gonna say 'You know what, the likes of Chud Monkey were right, it's a piece of shit. What idiots we were for liking it!'?

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 50
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:27:37 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

So who - other than people such as yourself who currently dislike it - is going to think it's a dud in years to come?

Lots of people, they will watch the trilogy thru in years to come and realise when they get to TDKR that is was just an inferior copy of TDK but nowhere near as good and in so many ways completely inferior and plain dreadful!. They will watch every seen with Alfred and Bruce in and just laugh at how unnecessary, overwritten , hammy and corny those particular scenes are! (they should be doing this now mind). Tom Hardy was wasted and the Bane character , apart from some amusing quips was completely short changed and underdeveloped.

Post #: 51
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:32:44 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

Lots of people, they will watch the trilogy thru in years to come and realise when they get to TDKR that is was just an inferior copy of TDK but nowhere near as good and in so many ways completely inferior and plain dreadful!. They will watch every seen with Alfred and Bruce in and just laugh at how unnecessary, overwritten , hammy and corny those particular scenes are! (they should be doing this now mind). Tom Hardy was wasted and the Bane character , apart from some amusing quips was completely short changed and underdeveloped.

So because you personally don't like a film everyone who does like it has simply got it wrong and one day they'll realise the truth? Jesus Christ.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/6/2013 4:33:39 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 52
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:33:43 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

But if you call something overrated you're doing the complete opposite of respecting someone else's opinion - you're saying their opinion is wrong. You seriously think in ten years time all the people who loved Zero Dark Thirty are gonna say 'You know what, the likes of Chud Monkey were right, it's a piece of shit. What idiots we were for liking it!'?

I never once mentioned that I wanted to respect anyone's opinion.....I've not seen anyone respecting mine so far

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the movies not on the definition of a term - it's a movie forum after all

< Message edited by ChudMonkey -- 11/6/2013 4:34:50 PM >

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 53
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:40:42 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

So because you personally don't like a film everyone who does like it has simply got it wrong and one day they'll realise the truth? Jesus Christ.

Taking things pretty personally aren't you? People are expressing their opinions on movies....it would be quite nice if you did the same....whether we agree on your opinions or not.

I personally think some movies are overrated by the general populace, critics and the movie industry as a whole and I believe in the future many people (but not all) will feel the same way. General consensus is that Zero Dark Thirty and The Impossible and great movies....my opinion is that they are not...I'm not forcing anyone to believe me, I just believe in the future the general populace, critics and the movie industry won't be quite so appreciative of those movies (I could be wrong, I could be right but none of us can predict the future... )

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 54
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:42:33 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

You do remember Alien: Resurrection don't you?

Ha yes - it is terrible but still not as risible as Prometheus.....

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 55
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:59:14 PM   
blackduck

Well, if you're looking for a defination of overrated movie how about Phantom Menace?

Inital love turned to hate. Once people moved past thier annoyance of Jar-Jar they realised the rest of the movie wasn't up to much.

there's even a story about one guy who gave it a nice review and had it thrown back at him for years after.......

It's the only truely overreated movie I cna think of...and anything new or interesting to say about it was done a long time ago.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 56
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 4:59:41 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

yeh thats kind of the idea of the thread you silly.

Post #: 57
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 5:03:16 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

Taking things pretty personally aren't you? People are expressing their opinions on movies....it would be quite nice if you did the same....whether we agree on your opinions or not.

I personally think some movies are overrated by the general populace, critics and the movie industry as a whole and I believe in the future many people (but not all) will feel the same way. General consensus is that Zero Dark Thirty and The Impossible and great movies....my opinion is that they are not...I'm not forcing anyone to believe me, I just believe in the future the general populace, critics and the movie industry won't be quite so appreciative of those movies (I could be wrong, I could be right but none of us can predict the future... )

Fanboys for you.

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 58
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 5:06:38 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Donnie Darko, if it isn't already.

Certainly overated.I wouldnt say that its seen as a dud now though.Like Shymalyan, its the directors subsequent work which may cause people to look back on it with less praise.Didnt the director make that critically derided film with The Rock and Sarah Michelle Gellar a few years later? Cant remember what it was called.

But who is it overrated by?

Ha indeed...

Still I disagree with you about TDKR - it's actually my favourite of the three....but you know that's what these forums are for...to express differing opinions!

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 59
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 11/6/2013 5:09:45 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

TDKR. Just wait and see

True, but when someone uses the term 'overrated' they're not expressing an opinion on the film, they're expressing an opinion on the people who like the film. And coming to the conclusion that the people who like it have got it wrong, in actual fact they've been fooled into believing the film was great and one day they'll realise the truth. It's laughably ridiculous, the height of arrogance and the type of meaningless critical thinking most people leave behind when they're about 12.

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What overated films will be future duds? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI