Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What overrated films will be future duds?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What overrated films will be future duds? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What overrated films will be future duds? - 8/6/2013 3:29:00 PM   
Cool Breeze

Inspired by Dregars thead of what unpopular films will be future classics, what about those films that have tons of praise heaped on them at the time of their release but are later seen to be actually quite shit.

For example, the movie world was gripped by Titanic fever during its release, won a ton of oscars, and became the biggest box office smash of all time.However, these days its seen by many to be rather embarassing, and James Camerons worst film.

Currently i think the movie that is getting a lot of praise right now but will eventually be seen to be a dud will be..

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 12/6/2013 8:08:44 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''
Post #: 1
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 8/6/2013 5:08:52 PM   
Shifty Bench

Every film Cool Breeze doesn't like right now.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 2
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 8/6/2013 5:11:31 PM   
Hood_Man

Donnie Darko, if it isn't already.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 3
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 8/6/2013 5:27:05 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm beginning to understand Homer's recent complaints about this place.

It really is getting to a point where the most popular sentiments expressed on here are, "this is awful/this will be awful/fuck 'em, they're stupid". That's all this place is about these days.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 8/6/2013 5:39:39 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 4
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 8/6/2013 5:35:45 PM   
directorscut

The Avengers.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 5
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 8/6/2013 5:41:58 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

It really is getting to a point where the most popular sentiments expressed on here are, "this is awful/this will be awful/fuck 'em, they're stupid". That's all this place is about these days.

Quoted for truth.

(never thought I'd ever type that phrase but here we are)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/6/2013 5:42:26 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 12:04:48 AM   
UTB

EVERY SINGLE FILM IS A MASTERPIECE SHUT UP ALREADY

Post #: 7
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 9:16:52 AM   
sanchia

It is true that every film has something positive about it even if it is only that it is the culmination of someones dream. At the same time there can be a lot of well respected films which you watch and you think "what's that all about?".

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 8
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 10:39:43 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

You've just defined that "is Star Trek a flop?" thread...and I couldn't agree more.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 11:27:11 AM   
Deviation

I think Star Trek Into Darkness will be seen as a dud in the future, what do you think guys?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 10
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 12:27:15 PM   
Cool Breeze

I really didnt get the love for this one even back in the time it was released.The '' twist ending '' was apparent after the first ten minutes and the whole story really falls apart due to logic problems.Shymalyan is a really overated writer/director and most of his films suck.I did enjoy Unbreakable though.

I think this films reputation will suffer in years to come based on how how many bad films Shymalyan has actually made now and how he is not held in high regards by critics anymore ( especially after Lady In The Water ).

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 9/6/2013 12:28:51 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 11
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 12:34:03 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

EVERY SINGLE FILM IS A MASTERPIECE SHUT UP ALREADY

See that thing that just went over your head? Yeah, that was the point of my post.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 9/6/2013 12:35:43 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 12
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 12:43:31 PM   
matty_b

This is an awful, awful thread for awful, awful people.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 13
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 1:15:59 PM   
Cool Breeze

The Amazing Spider Man.

I didnt get the love for this one.Maybe because after the misfire of Spiderman 3 its got a better reputation than it deserves?

Andrew Garfield seems really miscast as a nerdy teenager and actually comes across as a guy who would actually be quite popular in high school ( Even the Emma Stone character asks him out on their first date! ).The villain is just another Green Goblin clone ( Misunderstood man who wants to change the world but is transformed into monster by experiment that goes wrong, talks to himself, turns good at the end ).

The film didnt really justify the reboot since the origin only had minor changes and Garfields Parker comes across as quite unlikeable ( he lets his aunt walk home alone in a dangerous part of the city and creepily stalks Gwen! ).

The films does set up some plot threads that are sure to be brought up in the sequels.Depending on how good Amazing Spider Man 2 is, maybe this reboot may seem better in retrospect who knows? However, it seems at this early stage to be falling into the too many villains trap that Spider Man 3 fell into.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 9/6/2013 1:16:36 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 14
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 2:52:25 PM   
horribleives

I'd love to contribute to this thread but as there's no such thing as an overrated film my hands are tied.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 15
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 3:09:14 PM   
Olaf

ur mum will be a future dud

lol

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 16
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 3:31:31 PM   
horribleives

I just don't get the love for you.
And you suck.

Also, when does the scenario presented in this thread ever actually happen? Dunno about anyone else but I've never loved a film only to change my mind years later and realise all the people who said it was shite were right all along.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 9/6/2013 3:32:34 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 17
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 3:38:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

If all this thread is about is Cool Breeze listing films he doesn't like (called it, by the way) shouldn't this be in Top 10s and Lists? Or dumped altogether and he can just make a list in YUO.

(backseat modding, sorry)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 9/6/2013 3:43:53 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 3:44:17 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Also, when does the scenario presented in this thread ever actually happen? Dunno about anyone else but I've never loved a film only to change my mind years later and realise all the people who said it was shite were right all along.

Actually, when Howard: A New Breed of Hero was released it was a critically derided flop and I thought it was great. Years later, I cringed when I watched Lea Thompson trying to engage in sexual intercourse with an alien duck. Now, granted as a kid I was a dumbass and didn't know shit from shinola, but still...

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 9/6/2013 3:45:54 PM >

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 19
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 3:58:28 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Actually, when Howard: A New Breed of Hero was released it was a critically derided flop and I thought it was great. Years later, I cringed when I watched Lea Thompson trying to engage in sexual intercourse with an alien duck. Now, granted as a kid I was a dumbass and didn't know shit from shinola, but still...

Now you mention it, when I was about 5 my favourite film was Digby: The Biggest Dog In The World. I caught it again as an adult and was struck by what an unfunny berk Jim Dale was and how shit the dog looked. Hawk The Slayer was another one which I love a lot less in my thirties than I did in 1985. Okay, Cool Breeze - you win.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 20
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 4:00:58 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

If all this thread is about is Cool Breeze listing films he doesn't like (called it, by the way) shouldn't this be in Top 10s and Lists? Or dumped altogether and he can just make a list in YUO.

(backseat modding, sorry)

Shh. This makes too much sense, they won't stand for it.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 21
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 4:05:41 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

Now you mention it, when I was about 5 my favourite film was Digby: The Biggest Dog In The World. I caught it again as an adult and was struck by what an unfunny berk Jim Dale was and how shit the dog looked. Hawk The Slayer was another one which I love a lot less in my thirties than I did in 1985. Okay, Cool Breeze - you win.

I think there is a difference between both of you liking a shit film when you were kids and a critically acclaimed blockbuster that many like being hated in a few years.

Post #: 22
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 4:31:57 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think there is a difference between both of you liking a shit film when you were kids and a critically acclaimed blockbuster that many like being hated in a few years.

You may have a point...

< Message edited by horribleives -- 9/6/2013 4:32:34 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 4:45:27 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

ur mum will be a future dud

lol

ur mum sucks though.

she sucks very well.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 24
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 6:40:03 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Certainly overated.I wouldnt say that its seen as a dud now though.Like Shymalyan, its the directors subsequent work which may cause people to look back on it with less praise.Didnt the director make that critically derided film with The Rock and Sarah Michelle Gellar a few years later? Cant remember what it was called.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 25
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 6:42:30 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The Avengers.

I can see why some would think this was overated but in my opinion it will remain to be seen as a classic superhero movie in years to come.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 26
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 8:38:14 PM   
Whistler

quote:

For example, the movie world was gripped by Titanic fever during its release, won a ton of oscars, and became the biggest box office smash of all time.However, these days its seen by many to be rather embarassing, and James Camerons worst film.

I think Titanic's only a "dud" because it won all those Oscars. It's really not that bad of a film. For some reason, popularity often = ridicule. The same thing happened with The Hurt Locker. It's a fantastic film, and I remember people being really quite excited about it after release, but as soon as it won Best Picture everyone just started spraffing on about how shit it was. Same with Avatar. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it was only when it became really popular and stayed in cinemas for about 5 months that people started becoming so vitriolic towards it.

For the record, I'm saying this is always the case, but it's definitely a trend.

Post #: 27
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 9:38:10 PM   
Deviation

The Titanic and Avatar bits are nonsense, there's still hundreds of millions who love those films to death, proven by their success when they were re-released. Their reception is similar to that of Gone with the Wind.

Also, I hated Titanic for a long time and I found Avatar to be rather mediocre (now think it's rubbish) from Hour 1 the thing was released.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 9/6/2013 10:03:38 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Also, I hated Titanic for a long time and I found Avatar to be rather mediocre (now think it's rubbish) from Hour 1 the thing was released.

Stop typing sense Dev.

I have never been able to actually watch Titanic the whole way through and whilst Avatar looks stunning it is an example of why a film needs a decent plot. A lot of people in the world don't really care and glossy wrapping paper is enough. That said there is a quality to both of them and Titanic in particular appeals to a lot of people and is very manipulative towards a lot of peoples emotions meaning that it is still well thought of by a lot of people. The fact the re-release in 3D drew in nearly $60m in the US alone and over $600m worldwide tells us something about its enduring popularity.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 9/6/2013 10:04:59 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 29
RE: What overated films will be future duds? - 10/6/2013 6:39:49 AM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Certainly overated.I wouldnt say that its seen as a dud now though.Like Shymalyan, its the directors subsequent work which may cause people to look back on it with less praise.Didnt the director make that critically derided film with The Rock and Sarah Michelle Gellar a few years later? Cant remember what it was called.

But who is it overrated by?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What overrated films will be future duds? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI