Yum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Yum Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yum - 9/6/2013 11:24:21 AM   
charly1a

As a Marvel fan, Superman has never been my first Superhero of choice, but as with Thor, the naked chest of Henry Cavill will make the ticket price worth while. Oh, the action looks tasty as well...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Looking Good, Supes - 9/6/2013 4:20:26 PM   
Goutetsu

My message was purely speculative so I don't disagree with any particular point you've made. I'm just voicing some pre-screening concerns based on the information that's been presented to me. I should probably add that I'm every bit as excited about the new Superman film as the most enthusiastically vocal commentators on this thread, but, in the interest of that same speculation, let me address the points you've raised:

1. Jor-El may have dispensed advice via a hologram in previous movies so that *would* have been a natural assumption, except that Russel Crow's appearance in the space sequence I referred to looks decidedly unhologrammy (to invent a word for you) so it's less of an obvious assumption than it otherwise would have been. Sure, this perfectly human-looking Jor-El could be demonstration of the advanced Kyroptian tech in Snyder's world, a self-induced dream conversation in the of mind Kal-El, a two-second trailer shot that just doesn't happen to show some the glitchy cinematic queues usually associated with hologram technology, of or any of a number of potential reasons. It just doesn't particularly look like one to me in those two and a half seconds.

2. I mention the absence of Costner is this latest trailer because all the footage we've seen of him to date only shows him whilst in the presence of a teenage Clarke Kent. Assuming Costner survives until later on in the movie, I think we all noticed the arrival of Kryptonian spaceships, presumably bearing our villains, at the Kent farm in one of the earlier trailer. It's more reason to think that Costner won't survive the film's stretch. Again, speculative.

3. Assuming Zod does go on to murder one of the characters discussed, then it implies an exploration of the storyline you describe (which is actually what I meant by a revenge subplot - poor choice of words) or as a means to personalise the raising of the stakes. Nobody in their right mind would actually think Superman will go on to kill Zod under these, or any other circumstances. But parent figure killed in an origin story movie? Implied darker tone? Nolan involvement? Twice-burned studio (Superman Returns & Green Lantern) going all in to make their big-budget movie a commercial success with a working three-movie template for another DC character already behind them? I'm just more cautious than I would like to be.

Like I said, it's all speculation. Happy and hopeful to be wrong.

< Message edited by Goutetsu -- 9/6/2013 4:36:55 PM >

(in reply to yiannis21)
Post #: 32
only a few days - 9/6/2013 7:32:14 PM   
joshsym

Only a few days till Man of steel drops. Everything about it sreams awesome

Post #: 33
RE: Looking Good, Supes - 9/6/2013 7:46:20 PM   
Normal Control

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goutetsu

My message was purely speculative so I don't disagree with any particular point you've made. I'm just voicing some pre-screening concerns based on the information that's been presented to me. I should probably add that I'm every bit as excited about the new Superman film as the most enthusiastically vocal commentators on this thread, but, in the interest of that same speculation, let me address the points you've raised:

1. Jor-El may have dispensed advice via a hologram in previous movies so that *would* have been a natural assumption, except that Russel Crow's appearance in the space sequence I referred to looks decidedly unhologrammy (to invent a word for you) so it's less of an obvious assumption than it otherwise would have been. Sure, this perfectly human-looking Jor-El could be demonstration of the advanced Kyroptian tech in Snyder's world, a self-induced dream conversation in the of mind Kal-El, a two-second trailer shot that just doesn't happen to show some the glitchy cinematic queues usually associated with hologram technology, of or any of a number of potential reasons. It just doesn't particularly look like one to me in those two and a half seconds.

2. I mention the absence of Costner is this latest trailer because all the footage we've seen of him to date only shows him whilst in the presence of a teenage Clarke Kent. Assuming Costner survives until later on in the movie, I think we all noticed the arrival of Kryptonian spaceships, presumably bearing our villains, at the Kent farm in one of the earlier trailer. It's more reason to think that Costner won't survive the film's stretch. Again, speculative.

3. Assuming Zod does go on to murder one of the characters discussed, then it implies an exploration of the storyline you describe (which is actually what I meant by a revenge subplot - poor choice of words) or as a means to personalise the raising of the stakes. Nobody in their right mind would actually think Superman will go on to kill Zod under these, or any other circumstances. But parent figure killed in an origin story movie? Implied darker tone? Nolan involvement? Twice-burned studio (Superman Returns & Green Lantern) going all in to make their big-budget movie a commercial success with a working three-movie template for another DC character already behind them? I'm just more cautious than I would like to be.

Like I said, it's all speculation. Happy and hopeful to be wrong.

Agreed with your points and concerns. In the comics and Donner movies, Superman feels pain that despite all his powers he's powerless to save his foster parents from sickness or simply old age. I think it's called pathos, gives the stories more reality, and it helps him to understand mortality. If this movie twists it into Zod killing the Kents, that would be a Nolanism even shittier than Bale's gimp Bat-voice.

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to Goutetsu)
Post #: 34
A different story - 10/6/2013 3:14:58 PM   
Sparkykelly69

Are they moving away from the original story of clark working in the daily planet ?? From the trailers he's been in hiding most of his adult life, unless they integrate him back into society and make him wear specs with no lenses, cos they fool everyone. I would love to see a shot of Supes in his full suit and cape with the beard haha....

Post #: 35
A different story - 10/6/2013 3:54:38 PM   
Sparkykelly69

Are they moving away from the original story of clark working in the daily planet ?? From the trailers he's been in hiding most of his adult life, unless they integrate him back into society and make him wear specs with no lenses, cos they fool everyone. I would love to see a shot of Supes in his full suit and cape with the beard haha....

Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Yum Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI