Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Trailers that show the entire film.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Trailers that show the entire film. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 15/7/2013 9:12:42 AM   
Judge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

One of the best trailers in recent memory. Gives absolutely nothing away, but makes you bloody well want to see the thing.

And the good work was all swiftly undone by this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7awaM0UmYI

8 minutes?! It's pretty much all in chronological order too!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 31
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 17/7/2013 8:56:43 PM   
bydabeachman

WHY THE HELL DO THEY HAVE A 8 MIN LONG TRAILER!?!? THAT IS LONGER THAN A SHORT FILM!

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 32
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 17/7/2013 9:03:34 PM   
Whistler

Didn't know about that one. Cloud Atlas had an 8 minute trailer as well. Ridiculous.

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 33
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 18/7/2013 11:31:36 AM   
Cool Breeze

Terminator Salvations trailer gives away the films MAJOR plot reveal by showing that Marcus Wright is a cyborg himself.

In the film the scene where this is revealed is shot and written to be a BIG plot twist so i cannot understand why they decided to give that away in the films marketing.Is it any wonder that the film didnt do that well box office wise?

Say what you will about Star Trek Into Darkness, but the filmakers and advertising made a big effort to hide the true identity of a major character in that film for as long as possible.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 34
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 28/7/2013 1:51:34 PM   
england_cmr

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - it literally is the movie condensed into 3 minutes. I watched that movie for the first time and I knew exactly what was going to happen. You really don't need to see it because the trailer gives everything away.

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 35
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 28/7/2013 2:18:03 PM   
Whistler

I'm getting a bit fed up with these 'previews' before the movie starts at the cinema. Got it for Fast 6, Monsters Uni, and before The Wolverine started yesterday, we got what was basically just a mega-extended trailer of Elysium, which showed us pretty much every single plot turn. The film looks awesome, but I really don't know why they feel the need to show us so bloody much of it. I now know exactly what path Damon's character follows throughout the film.

Urg...

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 36
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 28/7/2013 5:48:46 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

I'm getting a bit fed up with these 'previews' before the movie starts at the cinema. Got it for Fast 6, Monsters Uni, and before The Wolverine started yesterday, we got what was basically just a mega-extended trailer of Elysium, which showed us pretty much every single plot turn. The film looks awesome, but I really don't know why they feel the need to show us so bloody much of it. I now know exactly what path Damon's character follows throughout the film.

Urg...

Oh, that's disappointing to hear. I'm off to see The Wolverine on Tuesday, so maybe I'll nip out for refreshments at that point.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 37
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 9/9/2013 9:38:40 AM   
Whistler

Much like that Elysium preview I was talking about, I think the worst trailers are those that just go through the plot step by step. They aren't necessarily too long and show us loads of the movie, but they tell us loads of the movie by giving us every single plot turn. The worst offender at the moment that movie is The Call (watch the trailer at your peril).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmhyUuLKwa4

It literally tells you everything that happens from beginning to end. It even shows us all the main moments of what looks like a pretty pivotal scene (at the gas station). I just don't understand it. What's the need? Do they not realize they're ruining their own film?

It looks quite good and I'm sure it will be, but the element of surprise will be lacking.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 38
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 9/9/2013 11:34:23 AM   
MattTheBadger

This is one of my pet hates from recent mainstream 'blockbusters'. All the film's key set-pieces show up in the trailer which means that the film's got to have plenty in its locker to give a real element of surprise. 'Kick Ass 2' was the last film I saw at the cinema and thought it was a particularly bad offender. It gives the impression that the studios have so little confidence in their product that they have to give away as much as possible just to get the punters through the door...

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 39
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 9/9/2013 11:44:37 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

Didn't know about that one. Cloud Atlas had an 8 minute trailer as well. Ridiculous.

To be fair, I think Cloud Atlas actually needed a trailer that long in order to give people some idea of what they were going to be getting themselves into. And actually think they managed to mostly get away with not spoiling much despite showing so much footage. It was more of a proof of concept than a trailer, in my opinion.

Cool Breeze's example about Terminator Salvation is a particular one that I got annoyed with. But I also get extremely irritated by DVD cases giving away major plot points by which images they choose to put on there... like the Prometheus cover showing you exactly what the engineers look like underneath those suits.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 40
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 9/9/2013 1:32:02 PM   
MattTheBadger

I think it just underestimates the audience's intelligence really... As an example of a brilliant trailer, I would point towards 'Gravity', which shows one scene, makes it look amazing and leaves you desperately wanting to see more.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 41
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 9/9/2013 7:39:33 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: MattTheBadger

I think it just underestimates the audience's intelligence really... As an example of a brilliant trailer, I would point towards 'Gravity', which shows one scene, makes it look amazing and leaves you desperately wanting to see more.

This would be the ideal situation for me with all movies, just one scene. And it could be done too without difficulty and without giving too much away. For instance if the trailer for Skyfall had merely been even the clip from the pre-credit sequence where the train carriage rips away and Bond hops through and fixes his cuff-links - cut to black screen "Skyfall October 2012". Bums would be on seats.

The recent trailer for Richard Aoyade's The Double is also another great example of how a trailer can be made interesting without giving too much away.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to MattTheBadger)
Post #: 42
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 9/9/2013 9:36:55 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I quite liked the trailer for Side Effects. It seemed to have a lot of information in it, but after seeing the film I realised it doesn't really give anything away at all.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 43
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 10/9/2013 10:07:14 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

To be fair, I think Cloud Atlas actually needed a trailer that long in order to give people some idea of what they were going to be getting themselves into. And actually think they managed to mostly get away with not spoiling much despite showing so much footage. It was more of a proof of concept than a trailer, in my opinion.

Cool Breeze's example about Terminator Salvation is a particular one that I got annoyed with. But I also get extremely irritated by DVD cases giving away major plot points by which images they choose to put on there... like the Prometheus cover showing you exactly what the engineers look like underneath those suits.

But the Engineer sans suit is the very first character you see in the movie, so it's hardly a major spoiler. It's something you get to see within about a minute of the movie starting.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 44
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 11/9/2013 1:56:28 PM   
cazino

I only watch the first third of trailers, I can see what the film is about, the style, actors etc. Thats all I need.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 45
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 21/9/2013 9:43:52 PM   
Jonezy123

When the trailers for 'Into Darkness' showed at cinemas I literally sat there with my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears every time to avoid having the entire plot given away. Otherwise it's inescapable to have the movie ruined.

Studios: STOP IT!!!!!!

(in reply to cazino)
Post #: 46
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 24/9/2013 2:00:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The Island trailer gave away a key plot point that our characters don't discover until at least an hour into the movie. So for the first hour we're just waiting for them to learn what we, the audience already know.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 47
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 15/11/2013 12:42:03 PM   
grucl

I think we can add the trailer for Noah to this list.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 48
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 15/11/2013 1:08:42 PM   
clownfoot

This is why I no longer watch trailers. At least Ted's didn't reveal the best sequence in the whole movie (and is simply all the more awesome for it).

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 49
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 15/11/2013 1:23:28 PM   
Hood_Man

Theatrical trailer for The Lion King

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 15/11/2013 1:24:08 PM >

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 50
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 15/11/2013 5:04:32 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Not a trailer, but at the moment there's a "preview" of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty playing before most films. I've seen it three times now and it's getting tiring. I felt like I'd seen the whole film after the first watch.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 51
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 21/12/2013 9:52:25 AM   
Hood_Man

I suspect HTTYD 2's latest trailer might be quite guilty of this.

Also, I saw an advance screening of Walter Mitty a few weeks ago, and that preview of Walter Mitty pretty much is the film.
Post #: 52
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 21/12/2013 2:44:01 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I suspect HTTYD 2's latest trailer might be quite guilty of this.

It did give away what I'm sure should be a big twist, didn't it?

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 53
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 26/12/2013 11:05:08 AM   
Padraic Coffey

Not a recent film, but the worst ever offender for this was the trailer for Mike Nichols' The Graduate back in 1967. It condenses literally the entire story into three and a half minutes.

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Trailers that show the entire film. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI