Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Trailers that show the entire film.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Trailers that show the entire film. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trailers that show the entire film. - 4/6/2013 7:17:09 PM   
bydabeachman

Is it just me or are there more and more trailers featuring the entire film within it's contents? I recently just saw the RUSH trailer and was left confused realizing I was just shown the drama and resolution, no need to even piece things together, it was all there for me. They still do have good trailer out there that do not give away secrets, such as Iron Man 3 and Star Trek 2, most recently. If you know of any other trailer that feature this same treatment, let us know so we can warn others to not watch them, who knows maybe we can show the movie industry that they need to stop showing it all, we like surprises and that's why I am paying money to a theater, to figure out the story, to experience it, not have it experienced for me before I even know whats happening. I look forward to hearing some of your opinions. If you agree, disagree, or haven't experienced it let us know as well. I look forward to it. Thank you and have a great day!

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

Post #: 1
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 4/6/2013 7:37:45 PM   
MonsterCat

No, it's not just you, it's becoming a bit of a problem.

Studios are going really OTT in terms of how much they put in trailers. But then again, you have the choice of not watching any publicity materials. I've decided recently that I'm not going to watch any trailers for any films I'm anticipating.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 4/6/2013 7:40:31 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 2
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 4/6/2013 8:44:08 PM   
Whistler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

One of the best trailers in recent memory. Gives absolutely nothing away, but makes you bloody well want to see the thing.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 3
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 4/6/2013 9:17:16 PM   
Scruffybobby

It's not really a new thing though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoVLMnKw2M

Still annoying.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 4
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 5/6/2013 7:31:37 PM   
Chronicle

So true! And it's happening more and more unfortunately.. I hate 2min+ trailers. The best trailers are the short ones that give nothing away from the premise but make you want to see them so badly.

It might not have been a great movie apparently (have not seen it yet) but I think the trailer for 'Only God Forgives' was great. I think music is probably the most important aspect in a trailer.

< Message edited by Chronicle -- 5/6/2013 7:32:51 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 5
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 5/6/2013 11:23:42 PM   
doubtlesswonder

The problem is that it's not just that we get one trailer that shows everything. These days we get two or three trailers, all of which have different material in, and then there's countless publicity shots and TV spots. It's complete overkill. Most recently, it feels like I can't go online without seeing another "exclusive look" at Man of Steel. There's so much material out there for that film.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 6
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 8/6/2013 10:20:37 AM   
asburyboss

Im getting absolutely sick of trailers that seem to give everything away and when I go to the cinema if a trailer comes on and Ive an idea of If I may see the movie or not I close my eyes but its veery hard to avoid the sound so end up hearing spoilers too, maybe its a sign of the times that people have a low attention span and are a bit numptyfied so need to be shown everything before they watchh the film so while theyre pissing about on their mobiles during the showing they can look up and not have to wonder whats just happened because theyve seen it in the trailer, Ive seen facebook status updates from people updating in a cinema saying how great the film is during the film idiots.
I remember seeing this being shown on a tv situated near the ticket counter at warner bros cinema in bury years ago and I went from wanting to see the film to not giving a shit because this traiiler is patronising to say the least.
Ladies and gentlemen I give you 'What lies beneath' (do not watch the trailer if youve never seen the film but have intentions of doing so as it will ruin the movie thats guaranteed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuYlo-EXrw4

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 7
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 11/6/2013 12:57:18 AM   
Cool Breeze

I think its just best to avoid trailers for films you already are interested in seeing.

I managed to avoid all trailers for Fast and Furious 6 and glad i did.When i watched the trailers after seeing the film, i couldnt believe they show the climax of the cargo plane chase at the end.

The Avengers one gives away the climax of the new york battle by showing Hulk saving Iron Man.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 11/6/2013 1:00:04 AM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to asburyboss)
Post #: 8
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 11/6/2013 1:07:16 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I think its just best to avoid trailers for films you already are interested in seeing.

I managed to avoid all trailers for Fast and Furious 6 and glad i did.When i watched the trailers after seeing the film, i couldnt believe they show the climax of the cargo plane chase at the end.

The Avengers one gives away the climax of the new york battle by showing Hulk saving Iron Man.

I think a lot of it depends on the cinema you're at and the film you're seeing. I've seen two different trailers for Man of Steel at Cineworld, and they're both different to the one I've seen on TV. I never saw the trailer you mentioned for Fast and Furious 6, but then when I went to see Star Trek Into Darkness they showed a full sequence in front of the film.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 9
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 11/6/2013 1:23:14 PM   
Dannybohy

Man of Steel! I mean ffs!! how many trailers and TV spots!!.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 10
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 12/6/2013 12:47:27 PM   
great_badir

I can't remember what film it was for, but I saw an official studio trailer a couple of weeks ago that was four and a half minutes long and basically gave you the full plot, the beginning, the middle, and some of the end. It was quite ridiculous.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 11
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 12/6/2013 6:18:02 PM   
justfontaine

*SPOILERS FOR THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES* In the trailer for said film there is a shot of Bradley Cooper's character on the podium during his election win. This is the film's final scene. Not a major spoiler really but I did spend a large part of the film thinking when this scene was going to take place as when we are first introduced to BC's character there is no hint of him being about to take place in any sort of electoral campaign. I don't think they needed to shoehorn that shot into the trailer whatsoever as it served no merit but spoil the last scene of the film.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 12
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 12/6/2013 9:59:59 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

One of the best trailers in recent memory. Gives absolutely nothing away, but makes you bloody well want to see the thing.

Could not agree more. You wouldn't believe how excited I was when I saw that trailer. Any doubts were non-existent after that

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 12/6/2013 10:00:29 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 13
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 12/6/2013 10:06:00 PM   
Mr Gittes

I've been desperately trying to avoid any new trailers or TV spots for this one, but that first Man Of Steel trailer was pretty amazing, especially with Russell Crowe's voice-over. Not to ignore the Kevin Costner-voiced version; both of them are inspired casting choices

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 14
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 14/6/2013 5:24:57 PM   
Dave Oz

I made a point of watching only last summer's Man of Steel teasers (featuring the aforementioned Crowe and Costner voice-overs), but I've been well aware of the barrage of trailers and TV spots that have been released for the film in the past month or so. Sure, they have to market the movie, but by all accounts there's so much new footage in each trailer and spot what exactly is left to surprise us in the cinema?

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 15
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 22/6/2013 8:55:31 PM   
cjm868

The Dog Day Aftternoon trailer shows everything except the very last minute

Post #: 16
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 25/6/2013 3:05:36 PM   
justfontaine

I haven't seen it but I have heard, mainly through listening to Mark Kermode, that the trailer for Fast and Furious 6 gave away the climax of the final chase sequence? As I say, I haven't seen it, but if that's the case than that is outrageous! It was the main reason for Mark having a gripe with the film as he said the trailer literally revealed everything in the film and he felt like he was just ticking off the boxes of what he had seen in the trailer that was happening upon the screen. Why would the marketing people and studios do and agree to this? I mean, to show the VERY LAST shot of the final sequence? That's just wrong.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

Post #: 17
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 25/6/2013 3:24:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, if you want to see the majority of Fast 6, just watch these trailers-

click
click

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 18
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 28/6/2013 7:41:57 AM   
grucl

The trailer for Dredd showed Dredd throwing Ma-Ma out of the window and Dredd and Anderson emerging from the building (doors opening), so basically the whole ending.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 19
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 28/6/2013 12:19:33 PM   
jcthefirst

SPOILERS WITHIN

But without context you don't know what part of the film you're seeing in the trailer. Granted some of them are obvious, but someone mentioned the Hulk catching Iron Man one. From the trailer you wouldn't know it was the last act of the battle (and I believe the trailer was quite well cut to further confuse things). As with everything, context is key. Saying it gave away the end of the film after seeing the film doesn't count.

However, I was waiting for most of Star Trek Into Darkness for the Enterprise to crash into the city. So swings and roundabouts I guess. (Although they did wrongfoot us/me with that)

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 20
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 28/6/2013 8:50:25 PM   
will1000

The sad thing is that a lot of films start out with pretty decent teaser trailers that peak your interest (Cloverfield being a great example) but as the film gets closer to its release date the studios feel the need to bombard us with so much imagery that the film is pretty much spoiled before we've seen it! I haven't actually seen Man Of Steel but I kind of feel like I have!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 21
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 2/7/2013 8:53:00 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

The sad thing is that a lot of films start out with pretty decent teaser trailers that peak your interest (Cloverfield being a great example) but as the film gets closer to its release date the studios feel the need to bombard us with so much imagery that the film is pretty much spoiled before we've seen it! I haven't actually seen Man Of Steel but I kind of feel like I have!

I remember when they first started advertising The Matrix Revolutions they went on about this huge action scene involving the mechas and how awesome it was and so on.

Sure enough, 2 weeks before the film opened they released a 10 minute clip of that exact sequence online...

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 22
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 2/7/2013 1:22:36 PM   
Vitamin F

Avoid the latest Elysium trailer - seems to give away loads.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 23
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 2/7/2013 1:31:26 PM   
Dannybohy

i have a bad feeling I have seen all the best bits of Pacific Rim already! :( Still going to see it tho!! :)

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 24
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 2/7/2013 6:40:19 PM   
bydabeachman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

i have a bad feeling I have seen all the best bits of Pacific Rim already! :( Still going to see it tho!! :)

They just released a featurette that was introducing Charlie Day and it instantly gave away, way too much of the film. I am not a fan of this trend. But Yes I will still go see it. But it is a bummer to have to just settle, the mysticism of the film is dwindling and few and far between. I want to see some awesome trailers and features that make us intrigued and excited for what might happen, leaving most up to the imagination.

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 25
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 13/7/2013 9:56:01 AM   
Charles B. Potatoes

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

SPOILERS WITHIN

But without context you don't know what part of the film you're seeing in the trailer. Granted some of them are obvious, but someone mentioned the Hulk catching Iron Man one. From the trailer you wouldn't know it was the last act of the battle (and I believe the trailer was quite well cut to further confuse things). As with everything, context is key. Saying it gave away the end of the film after seeing the film doesn't count.

However, I was waiting for most of Star Trek Into Darkness for the Enterprise to crash into the city. So swings and roundabouts I guess. (Although they did wrongfoot us/me with that)

That's true but it spoils the surprise of seeing Iron Man rescued. As soon as Iron Man started falling all drama about whether or not he'd be saved went out of the window as I remembered about that shot in the trailer

If you ask me Skywalker was bloody lucky to turn off his guidance system.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 26
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 14/7/2013 8:38:00 PM   
justfontaine

SPOILERS. I saw Pacific Rim the other night and from the start we know Idris Elba is going to end up suited up and in a jager because of the poster and trailer. Although the film goes the long way around of explaining his illness and that he can't get in a Jager again etc. It may have been a genuine surprise if we hadn't seen him in the suit already.m

The Boss

Post #: 27
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 14/7/2013 8:50:50 PM   
matty_b

Silver Linings Playbook has a reaction shot from the climactic dance sequence which pretty much gives away the ending of the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 28
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 14/7/2013 9:31:54 PM   
directorscut

The Bridge on the River Kwai:

Narration: "Will Commander Shears and his men destroy the bridge in time?"

CUT TO:

Bridge blowing up.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 29
RE: Trailers that show the entire film. - 14/7/2013 9:50:49 PM   
MonsterCat

The trailer for Dream House gives away the twist ending.

Morgan Creek are fucking clownshoes, basically.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Trailers that show the entire film. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI