Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire Readers’ Ten Best Soundtracks Of The Teens

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire Readers’ Ten Best Soundtracks Of The Teens Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire Readers’ Ten Best Soundtracks Of The Teens - 4/6/2013 5:45:00 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Perfect - 4/6/2013 5:45:00 PM   
Saminatorger

I really couldn't think of a better list of soundtracks.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 4/6/2013 5:51:05 PM   
Whistler

Good list. I voted Inception, Drive and True Grit, because there were only three slots, but there have been some fantastic soundtracks recently.

Post #: 3
- 4/6/2013 8:40:25 PM   
benthemitchell

Disappointed The Muppets didn't make the list ;-)

Post #: 4
- 4/6/2013 10:56:29 PM   
kingtolkien

I can't believe Zimmer's awful media venture scores written by many many ghost composers and the stupid score on the awful Social Network are on this list. Where is War Horse? The only truly symphonic score in this list is just the Hobbit. Decades ago we had classical composers writing symphonic film scores and now we mostly have untalented composers writing music in a pc in a matter of hours. Such a shame! That is not quality music just sound design.

Post #: 5
RE: - 5/6/2013 12:11:11 AM   
tommypocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingtolkien

I can't believe Zimmer's awful media venture scores written by many many ghost composers and the stupid score on the awful Social Network are on this list. Where is War Horse? The only truly symphonic score in this list is just the Hobbit. Decades ago we had classical composers writing symphonic film scores and now we mostly have untalented composers writing music in a pc in a matter of hours. Such a shame! That is not quality music just sound design.

Get off my lawn!

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to kingtolkien)
Post #: 6
Skyfall should not be there - 5/6/2013 12:41:04 AM   
TPM007

I'm a huge Bond fan, however I am very keen to point out that I honestly think Skyfall's score is one of the worst Bond scores out there, and there are some terrible ones! Aside from maybe two tracks, the entire score is very generic, and lacks and form of inspiration and I do think it dulls the film a lot. If Sam Mendes does indeed come back, it probably means Newman will too, and that really is not a good thing... and the guy won a friggin' BAFTA for it!

Post #: 7
My 3 votes were in there... - 5/6/2013 1:24:49 AM   
Hillsman

...though amazed that Zimmer's generic soundtracks made the Top 5, esp as they drowned out half the dialogue.

Post #: 8
Nice! - 5/6/2013 8:47:30 AM   
Pixaroholic

Though I wish Tintin would have been on this list!

Post #: 9
Good list, but... - 5/6/2013 10:52:58 AM   
sdilku

...I'd add John Williams truly magnificent score for War Horse, which sadly the rest of the film failed to live up to. Vintage Williams.

Post #: 10
Drive got in but - 5/6/2013 11:06:58 AM   
FoxDhoj

The Social Network over The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo? The latter is a superior score by far, I bet people only voted The Social Network because of the image you used...my third choice was The Descendants but that was never gonna get any votes! Some of these are a joke...Cloud Atlas was rubbish, The Hobbit was good but not Lord Of The Rings good. Hans Zimmer again is okay but with Nolan films seems to just do variations on the same vibe - he can't shake it. If you want a better score from 2010 look to Shutter Island, which compiled some excellent minimalist compositions - only on a Marty film would you hear Brian Eno, Max Richter, John Cage and Nam June Paik! Scott Pilgrim and Tron Legacy have good soundtracks, Django Unchained wasn't bad either.

Post #: 11
All good, but... - 5/6/2013 12:27:14 PM   
badgerpog

Seven Psychopaths had a great soundtrack

Post #: 12
humpth! - 5/6/2013 12:31:59 PM   
Hector26

Steve Jablonsky's Transformers Dark of the Moon deserves a nod, as does Newton Howard for Hunger Games, Silvestri's Avengers Assemble too as well as Patrick Doyle's Thor

Post #: 13
Right. - 5/6/2013 12:51:53 PM   
MikaHaeli8

Created an account to comment on this'un. Very pleased at the inclusion of "The Dark Knight Rises". However..."The Hobbit"'s score mostly recycled motifs from the LOTR trilogy - not necessarily a bad thing, but for me it just indicated the painfully wide gap in quality between "TH:AUJ" and "LOTR" ("hey, we do have a connection to one of the best film trilogies ever, even if we almost crap on it in the process!"). Silvestri's "The Avengers" (I refuse to call it "Avengers Assemble") was also good and warranted a mention, as did Alberto Iglesias' work on "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy". Also, how could you put in quality scores without mentioning Carter Burwell's work on the Twilight films? The franchise was decidedly average, but they sure as sh!t knew what they were doing when they were hiring composers. Burwell's work was far superior to the film it underscored, and this very rarely happens. Agh, anyway. I'm out.

Post #: 14
RE: Drive got in but - 5/6/2013 1:24:51 PM   
tommypocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoxDhoj

The Social Network over The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo? The latter is a superior score by far, I bet people only voted The Social Network because of the image you used...my third choice was The Descendants but that was never gonna get any votes! Some of these are a joke...Cloud Atlas was rubbish, The Hobbit was good but not Lord Of The Rings good. Hans Zimmer again is okay but with Nolan films seems to just do variations on the same vibe - he can't shake it. If you want a better score from 2010 look to Shutter Island, which compiled some excellent minimalist compositions - only on a Marty film would you hear Brian Eno, Max Richter, John Cage and Nam June Paik! Scott Pilgrim and Tron Legacy have good soundtracks, Django Unchained wasn't bad either.

Completely agree with Shutter Island, a wonderful collection of eclectic pieces creating a mood to get lost in - elevates an average film for me.

Despite being a massive Daft Punk fan, I found the Tron Legacy score as disappointing as the film - a few bright spots but generally formulaic, Zimmer-esque epic-by-numbers and missing personality (surprising considering the robots' inventiveness).

I also don't find Zimmer's 'Rises' a patch on Dark Knight... and I wonder how many people voted for Inception because of the trailer music. The slowed down use of the Edith Piaf piece is brilliant though. I enjoyed Zimmer's work on the Sherlock Holmes films too.

Honourable mentions:

Shame - just heartbreaking.
The Raid... although I worry the dubstep influence will age terribly.

(in reply to FoxDhoj)
Post #: 15
RE: Drive got in but - 5/6/2013 1:35:21 PM   
tommypocket

Oh, and not movies obviously but Brian Reitzell's current work on the Hannibal TV series (and the sound design on the show in general) is extraordinary.

(in reply to tommypocket)
Post #: 16
Quite good list, but not very brave choices. - 5/6/2013 2:16:57 PM   
Nicky C

The Hobbit? Really? Is that the best that Empire readers can do? A lazy, underserved choice if you ask me. By that I mean the voting is lazy, not the soundtrack itself. How about Kick-Ass? That's 2010 and has a wicked soundtrack. Or the Master, with Johnny Greenwood's demented percussion and doom-laden strings? Drive's wicked as we all know. Tron: Legacy is also on there and that would be my personal number one. I've never had an OST on loop before that. As for Inception, it's undoubtedly one of the greats, but I think you'll find the best version is the South Park one, 'Insheeption', where one guy goes 'dun-dun-dundun-dun' with his hand over his mouth while another pulls a sheep's tail for the brass, making it go 'baaaaaa! baaaaaa!' ... It's all so complex and cool!

Post #: 17
What no Dredd? - 5/6/2013 6:01:01 PM   
danbo1138

Fantastic soundtrack.

Post #: 18
The Raid? The Master? - 5/6/2013 8:19:03 PM   
thenamesbeer

Definitely pleased to see Django, Inception and Drive on this list, but the Raid's soundtrack was electrifying and, on the other end of the spectrum, The Master's was truly haunting.

Post #: 19
RE: The Raid? The Master? - 6/6/2013 12:27:45 AM   
elyoda

Given my three votes are in there and I own seven of the ten tracks (and want/like the other three) I can't really argue much with this, other than to wish I'd popped a vote or two in for some Michael Giacchino tracks - the score to 'John Carter' was suitably epic and tragic in equal measures ("Carter They Come, Carter They Fall"), 'Cars 2' was as zippy and fun as the film and his recent efforts for 'Into Darkness' was as amazing as the first foray into the Trek universe (although I still can't figure out why the awesome "Ode to Harrison" isn't on the soundtrack, other than it being used throughout other tracks, albeit in bits and pieces). Of all the rest I'd probably take out 'Skyfall' to let one of those in, aside from the amazing "Tennyson" track/scene the rest didn't gel much with me (and the soundtrack doesn't include the "cruuuuummmmble").

On another note, I wonder if there should have been a separation between different types of soundtracks - just plain score ('The Hobbit', 'Cloud Atlas', etc) and then musical track mixes ('Django', 'Scott Pilgrim', etc.) - it's often tricky to strike a balance between the two.

(in reply to thenamesbeer)
Post #: 20
The Best Of A Decade... Three And A Bit Years In? - 6/6/2013 8:05:02 AM   
postgrape

Congratulations.

Post #: 21
Some school boy errors - 8/6/2013 10:42:49 PM   
smithy908

How has everyone failed to mention the Hanna soundtrack, the chemical bros nailed it.

Post #: 22
Its the readers choices..not the magazines - 9/6/2013 10:23:20 PM   
megank13

I chose Inception as the soundtrack I've listened to the most. definitely a favourite of mine. such a goosepimply score!

Post #: 23
- 10/6/2013 1:52:47 PM   
Simba

HANNA?!!!

Post #: 24
- 12/10/2013 12:47:04 PM   
Darren47

How to Train Your Dragon? That's one of my favorite scores! John Powell had a well deserved Oscar nomation. And you didn't have the denceney to review it? How dare you! But im glad to see Tron Legacy on the list. I have the remix score on my IPod. So pissed it didn't get Oscar nomaited!

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire Readers’ Ten Best Soundtracks Of The Teens Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI