Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What a shame

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> What a shame Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What a shame - 15/6/2013 11:17:33 AM   
jontysidgwick

I challenge anyone foolish enough to go and see 'Man of Steel' to find a consecutive 60 seconds where there are no fist fights, explosions, or close ups of guns.
I won't spoil any of the plot, chiefly because there is none whatsoever to speak of, but it is a poor poor film, which will struggle to satisfy anyone with a triple digit IQ who is not 12 years old, and has a penis.
Like The Matrix before it, this film is half an hour of semi-decent set up, to justify an hour and a half of endless fighting.
I gave the film the best chance possible -seeing the film on the opening day in IMAX, and having avoided all but the first trailer (the movie actually had a Nokia advert before it featuring clips of the film! How dare they! I will consequently never buy a Nokia).
The film features no characters, an incomprehensible yet shallow plot, and an insulting treatment of all female characters outside of Lois Lane (who has no character). The poor women are relegated to damsels in distress, or painful exposition (e.g. "what does that mean?" or "who will save us?"). I laughed out loud at how poor the script was on several occasions.
There is also a heavy feature of clumsy American glorification, and religious suggestion, but even this is handled indelicately, and is best summarised as crass.
The endless fighting and explosions quickly become meaningless and even boring. Where is the saviour character? Why is there a mindless shouty fighter in his place?
Man of Steel is not just a colossal misrepresentaction of the character, it has sold its soul for a tournament bout of Street Fighter.
There are one or two nice moments (reaching out for the sun, the oil rig rescue, Kevin Costner), but these are quickly forgotten when stacked up against the innumerable atrocities (lack of romance, bad pacing, criminally poor script, unending yet dull music, abundance of plot holes, Russell Crowe).
If you want to see a rousing, mature, intelligent, and genuinely phenomena

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
RE: What a shame - 15/6/2013 12:53:49 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: jontysidgwick
The endless fighting and explosions quickly become meaningless and even boring. Where is the saviour character? Why is there a mindless shouty fighter in his place?

I kind of agree with this statement. I enjoyed the film, I thought it was good. But I don't understand some of the choices they took with the character of Superman.

Before seeing the film I thought Clark would place the suit on and embrace his powers to become the saviour for all mankind (because of Zod's threat), but he puts the suit on before Zod & Co. turn up, which kind of dilutes the impact of him suiting up.

The scene I didn't like at all was the Smallville fight. There is no way on Earth Superman would cause the destruction he does. He's to blame for taking the fight in to Smallville and basically destroying it. Snyder's fault of course. This scene becomes a computer game with some of the worst CGI I've seen in a big-budget film.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 15/6/2013 12:54:56 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to jontysidgwick)
Post #: 92
RE: What a shame - 15/6/2013 1:48:38 PM   
mysterious

Watched it last night.

Started off really well as a origin story, with some powerful performances from Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner & Diane Lane. The scenes on Krypton are impressive- I wont give away too much. Henry Caville is a good choice- the guy is a beast lol. The build up leading up to the discovery of the Fortress of Solitude and who Clarke Kent really is well laid out. This is where Clarke bumps into reporter Lois Lane (Amy Adams)- a decent perfornance but under-written. Same goes for Perry White (Lawrence Fishburne)- a different take on the character.

We know what happens next- General Zod (Michael Shannon), along with Faora-Ul (Antje Traue) has travelled to Earth in search of Kal-El. Shannon is impressive- Traue even moreso. For me, this is where the movie fell apart. If you thought the destruction in The Avengers was huge- you haven't seen nothing. The use if CGI is overwhelming. Sometimes the fight scenes are a blur, due to the speed of light the characters posess. Yeah, the action is non-stop but repetitive. You can tell this is a Snyder movie with it's desaturated color pallete, mixed with greys & blues.

In the end, I felt I watched two different movies. For me, overall a disappointnent- I wanted to really really like it. The story is not strong enough. I didn't really care for Superman or the other Earthly characters. I don't know, something was missing. Maybe it was too serious for it's own good. It is though, an improvement over Bryan Singer's effort. The soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is epic- fits in well.

I give it a 3/5

"Lets put a smmile on that facce!"

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 93
RE: What a shame - 15/6/2013 2:48:13 PM   
ripperman

I can’t remember the last time I was as bitterly disappointed with a film. I always had reservations with Zack Synder at the helm but I liked Watchmen and the fact that he slavishly put his love of the source material up on the screen in such a way gave me some hope.

This is a mess though, muddled confused, overly long with a flabby mid section that would put a devout Guinness drinker to shame. Henry Cavill flails wildly from decent to downright wooden (The one moment that captured everything, for me at least, about Superman was when he cast his eyes to the sun and then closed them, a simple one but beautifully done.)

It’s fair to say that the films stronger moments are the origins sections, both sets of parents are very good, Costner is outstanding bringing genuine humanity to the role model that Clark strives to match in his own young adult life.

Shannon is good as Zod, although some more menace would have been nice, something he’s perfectly capable of achieving (see the recent “The Iceman” for further evidence).

The last act of the film is a complete disaster, an homogenised mess of so so cgi and special effects of cars, builings, petrol stations, you name it, being thrown around or destroyed. It all blurs into a splodge of jerky and yet super fast sequences which genuinely left me with a headache, yearning for the thing to end so that we might see a final gasp of humour or sentiment, (There is a bit actually but by that stage you’ve just been so relentlessly beat around the head and eyes by the muscle flexing of the special effects department that its hard to muster up enough energy to even care).

I left it feeling sad and let down and wondering what would have happened if they focused more on those origin sections, on Clark and his adopted father and how their relationship would shape the man he would eventually become. DC have to seriously examine their movie outputs but in summary the idea of a great modern Superman movie remains as such, buried in the mind of someone, somewhere.

(in reply to mysterious)
Post #: 94
Loved it! - 15/6/2013 3:50:40 PM   
murta1993

Needed a bit more Lois Lane, but other than that it was fantastic. Not too hammy where it could easily have been, great performances from everybody, especially teenage Clark, and incredible action. Didn't think Superman could be cool, what with the invulnerability and all, but he is. Might have to see it again.

Post #: 95
Good, but not great - 15/6/2013 6:53:44 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Not as good as I wanted it to be, but I enjoyed the first 2 thirds of the movie. Thereafter all the good build up goes down the toilet. It felt as if they had only written to the conclusion of the Smallville fight (awesome) then handed the reins to Michael Bay and said "we want Transformers from this point on" - instead of an emotional pay-off. On the bright side, at the end, I wanted to see more and I reminded myself that Batman Begins initially underwhelmed me, but its sequel....

Post #: 96
RE: Good, but not great - 15/6/2013 9:02:45 PM   
Hood_Man

I think I've discovered a new found appreciation of Superman Returns. This bored me to tears a lot of the time, lots of action but I just didn't care about anyone in it.

Make sure you stick around for the end credits scene though, a bar full of architects crying into their drinks.

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 97
Makes Ang Lee's Hulk seem like fun... - 15/6/2013 11:04:45 PM   
kop2001

I love Nolan's first two Batman movies, but I've now sat through a 3rd Batman that had very little Batman in it, and a Nolan-produced Superman movie without a real Clark Kent. I always thought comic books were a success because they were fun and escapist, this is ponderously serious. Do all our heroes now (Batman, Supes, Bond) need to include an existential discussion on their childhood and place in the world? I hate movies that dumb everything down, but the scale can tip the other way... If this is where DC is heading, make mine Marvel... Loved Costner, though, great casting. Extra star for that.

Post #: 98
RE: Makes Ang Lee's Hulk seem like fun... - 15/6/2013 11:28:15 PM   
jon5000

Haven't posted here in a while, but just got back from seeing this.

I thought it was superb. A nice weighty, Nolan-overseen script with big themes. Visually outstanding. Some amazing performances too. Crowe and Shannon are standouts for me. Quite stylishly directed too.

I can see why it would divide some, however. Takes itself too seriously, is over stylised, needs to lighten up a bit etc. And yes it falls for that world/city-wide destruction ending cliche. But I think that's doing what this film is in itself a huge disservice. I think this film is actually a whole lot more than a superhero film and in many ways that's the problem. It's inevitably going to be compared to everything else within that genre, but this film treats the Superman story as an epic, not a comic book adaptation. I think in that context - outside of the superhero genre - this film stands alone as a beautiful piece of work. An alien child is sent to earth from his dying planet and discovers who he is. It reminded me almost of Unbreakable, tonally. Which I think is an often overlooked and outstanding edition to the superhero genre.

In the same way I love Nolan's Batman films - but almost don't regard them as definitive 'Batman' films in a weird way - I feel similarly about this. This is almost sci fi. The tone, the ideas, the weight. It's not what we've seen before in the Superman legend and perhaps that's not what people were looking for in a Superman reboot. But as a film in and of itself I thought it was superb.

< Message edited by jon5000 -- 15/6/2013 11:34:01 PM >

(in reply to kop2001)
Post #: 99
Don't wait for Blu Ray ... this needs the big screen. - 16/6/2013 12:03:19 AM   
Nicky C

I connected much more with the actors in MoS than the plot. I think Cavill does a great job and I followed him easily wherever he had to go. Crowe is fantastic (as I personally think he always is), but this movie belongs to Michael Shannon who electrifies every scene he's in without chewing it up. I think my only criticism would be that they try to fit so much in that the whole second half really doesn't take any time to breathe. This is truly epic filmmaking, but like last year's TDKR it has to move quickly through points that needed a little more time and sensitivity in its rush to fit everything in and get to the big (or more like gigantic) finale. I also think they missed a trick by not letting the women in Clark's life have more impact on his moral dilemma. After all, isn't his empathy for the human race supposed to be personified by his love for Lois? Maybe I'm soppy, but one thing I think recent summer movies could learn from Avatar is that if you have the opportunity for some romance ... take it! Love can be epic too, you know?

Post #: 100
RE: Man of Steel - 16/6/2013 12:19:48 AM   
paulyboy

Hmm, not quite what I hoped it would be.

The cast is there, the ideas are there, it's just in too much of a hurry, despite the lengthy running time I didn't really feel like it took any time to show us the characters, so I wasn't that invested when things start going boom. Costner and Lane in particular are criminally underused.

To boot the action could, rather ironically, do with a dash of trademark Snyder slow-mo, instead it's often a blur of supersonic punches and wonky CGI, it all starts getting a bit messy.

It's a good film, great in places, but it lacks focus. More work on characters and less explosions next time. It's funny really, we all moaned that Returns needed more action, be careful what you wish for I guess.

3.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 101
RE: Man of Steel - 16/6/2013 12:52:49 AM   
filmfanatic123

Just got back from this so thought I'd post while it's fresh.

I thought it was okay.

It's almost wafer thin in terms of depth, and it needed far more Kevin Costner, but it's cool to see things explode, I guess.

I agree with the aforementioned comment of they seemed to write up to the end of the Smallville destruction and then start blowing stuff up. By the end I just wanted the whole thing to end and was far more focused on my urgent need to use the facilities.

Had the characters been given some more development, Amy Adams and Costner especially, then this could have been special. For me, it was very average.

2.5/5

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 102
RE: What a shame - 16/6/2013 1:02:56 AM   
spaceoddity

I enjoyed it very much. But the story and structure has some big flaws which SHOULD have been avoided, blame there has to lie with Goyer and Nolan.

The whole cast was great though, I wish Amy Adams had more to work with, Lois was underwritten, you'd think she'd really flourish in a sequel. The final battle was drawn out too long. But overall I really enjoyed it.

I don't get the complaints about a lack of humour, we knew it wasn't going to be that type of film, I'm glad we didn't get Iron Man style one liners. I just get the impression some people just aren't open to the idea of a chnage of tone from the Reeve films.

7/10. Losing marks because it doesn't flow well enough and the story could have been better.

Post #: 103
Man of Steel 3D IMAX - 16/6/2013 9:55:53 AM   
Bozo Fitzgerald

3D was flat and was not filmed in IMAX - saw it yesterday in 3D IMAX and wish I hadn't bothered. See it in 2D and save your money.

Post #: 104
AWESOME - 16/6/2013 11:07:29 AM   
WheelsOnMeals

Finally a Superman movie that with enough action and destruction! I've seen this twice now already, just need to see it at least one more time :)

Post #: 105
RE: AWESOME - 16/6/2013 11:25:53 AM   
Cool Breeze

Wow.Surprised at some of the negative comments towards this movie as i watched it last night and though it was, to quote a Snyderism.. SUPER AWESOME!

I absolutley loved this film.It was huge and spectacular but had a lot of heart.Henry Cavill effortlessly fills the cape as Superman and is backed up by an extraordinary cast.Special mention must go to Russell Crowe as Jor-El, who can actually be a bit hit and miss in his movie roles, but this is his best role since playing Maximus in Gladiator 13 years ago.In fact, the spectacular opening sequence kinda made me think this is what a futuristic sequel to Gladiator might be like with Crowe kicking ass and backed up pounding Hans Zimmer music!

This is really an alien invasion movie with a superhero origin story serving as a prelude.Thats no bad thing.We all know Supermans origins by now and the way the film covers this section of the plot in Batman Begins style flashbacks is done well while allowing the main plot to movie forward.As soon as Superman is established, the film movies quickly into the alien attack plot and the film never lets up from here.This last hour of the film is full of spectacular action and the destruction in Metropolis makes the attack on New York look like a picnic in comparison! I loved Avengers but the action here is much more horrifying and scary due to Snyder showing a LOT of 9/11 style imagery.

I undestand why some feel this film had too much action and maybe the film is a little TOO fast paced ( Maybe a longer directors cut will be on the Blu Ray? ) but this is the Superman film we should have gotten in 2006 and Bryan Singer should hang his head in shame.This is a worthy companion to the classic Donner/Reeve original and one of the best superhero films ever made.Roll on the sequels and Justice League! You hear that Marvel?

5 stars.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 16/6/2013 11:27:55 AM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to WheelsOnMeals)
Post #: 106
RE: AWESOME - 16/6/2013 12:21:16 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I thought it was fantastic barring a couple of niggles, five stars from me, but:

quote:

Special mention must go to Russell Crowe as Jor-El

What?? Special love for Crowe yet fail to mention the amazing Kevin Costner, hang your head in shame.

I felt the chemistry between Lois and Clarke wasn't quite there, Cavill was a little wooden in places and they criminally underused Costner. Apart from that I thought it was absolutely fantastic and smacked the crap out of the over rated Iron Man 3 this summer. Shannon was great as Zod as well and I enjoyed the surprise twist at the end, never thought I'd see that.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 107
RE: AWESOME - 16/6/2013 12:47:20 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I thought it was fantastic barring a couple of niggles, five stars from me, but:

quote:

What?? Special love for Crowe yet fail to mention the amazing Kevin Costner, hang your head in shame.

I felt the chemistry between Lois and Clarke wasn't quite there, Cavill was a little wooden in places and they criminally underused Costner. Apart from that I thought it was absolutely fantastic and smacked the crap out of the over rated Iron Man 3 this summer. Shannon was great as Zod as well and I enjoyed the surprise twist at the end, never thought I'd see that.

Iv actually just started a favourite films thread for MOS where i sing the praises of Costner.I just saw the film about 12 hours ago so im still processing it.I do think the film could have used more Kev and maybe there might be more in a longer directors cut?

Oh and the main theme by Hans Zimmer is outstanding.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 108
RE: AWESOME - 16/6/2013 1:22:58 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Iv actually just started a favourite films thread for MOS where i sing the praises of Costner.I just saw the film about 12 hours ago so im still processing it.I do think the film could have used more Kev and maybe there might be more in a longer directors cut?

Oh and the main theme by Hans Zimmer is outstanding.

Its spectacular, isn't it. Pre-ordered the deluxe soundtrack and hopefully get it tomorrow and listen to it on loop. I'm not even joking either

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 109
it coulda and shoulda been epic. it's NOT - 16/6/2013 1:44:35 PM   
Avengers12

Oh, man...i REALLY want to LOVE this movie. i really want it to be GREAT. to be THE movie of the year. the one super hero movie to RULE em all...BUT, instead..i got a not-yet-finished Superman movie. it's got HUGE potential of greatness..the trailers sure gave me THAT feeling. despite the epic-ness, the EXPLOSIONS, the Oscar-caliber actors, top notched special f/x..it's also ANNOYINGLY got plot holes, out of place things (Jor-El and Zod doing the kung fu fighting??!!), STUPID scenes AND characters (those citizens still hangin around the city, even after an alien THREAT), unnecessary and forced scenes (Perry and his staff trapped amongst the crazy HUGE debris..their own stupid faults, by the way) AND a serious lack of humor and a sense of wonder and...FUN, in general.

i REALLY like to LOVE this movie..i really had HIGH high hopes for it, but...[heavy sigh] it's got too enough short comings to make me feel DISAPPOINTED. sure, it's NOT as bad as Superman Returns, and it sure as heck ain't as lousy as Green Lantern, but, it's a good enuff start, and i just hope they'd make a much better sequel and crossover movies with other DC characters.

i'd give it a 3 stars.

Post #: 110
The Superman Revolutions - 16/6/2013 1:54:54 PM   
Hector26

I did enjoy the movie very much, wasn't as brilliant as I expected and the hype, thought the fighting in the air at the end was a little too Matrix Revolutions and a bit OTT. Great acting and performances by everyone, wish it was more like the beginning where they played down the big spectacle on the oil rig and simplified it, when they began trashing New York I just though Avengers did it better. Loved Cavill, he was born to play Superman/Clark Kent...and really looked the part and went that extra mile for the physique...I could hear every single woman pant as he turned up topless like an Adonis, Shannon deserves a great pat on the back as Zod too, Crowe as ever delivering a magnificent role again, I have to note I am glad I didn't watch it in 3D as it would have been waaaay too messy and busy, and like the jumping back flashbacks to his childhood every once in a while. I expected the film of the year, but it doesn't surpass Star Trek funnily enough, but at least this sets up a great sequel

Post #: 111
Man of Steel - 16/6/2013 2:13:04 PM   
Alistair

SPOILERS AHEAD....DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM...

Saw the film for the second time yesterday, so I thought I'd chime in with my thoughts (I think it's much easier to take in a film like this on the second viewing).

My general feelings of the film are mostly positive - It's epic, and I don't just mean in the action. It just feels like it has been painted on an epic canvas (even the intimate stuff), which is what a Superman film should be.

I guess I'm disappointed in some of the poor CGI, and in a film with so much of it this is unforgiveable. I'm mainly talking about the animation/rendering of human/humanoid characters, such as Supes, Faora, Zod (and others) when fighting, and when in flight. This kind of stuff still hasn't been cracked yet, even though it's been attempted in many films over many years. With something like Spider-Man it's much easier as he wears a mask, so the rendering/animation is sold that much easier to the eyes because there's a disconnection from the real. But in something like Superman where his head/face is exposed the cracks begin to appear and the CGI just doesn't look good. It was nearly there, and I understand how difficult it must be to do this stuff, but it just doesn't work.

Infact I think you're getting in to dangerous territory when everything on screen is CGI because it basically turns in to a computer game. There's nothing tangeable on screen, just pixels. And this is going to be the case by default with a film like this, because there is no other way to achieve two characters fighting and flying. The Matrix films had the same issue (although the developments in the technology since don't appear to have been very much, amazingly.). I guess it's a combination of the talent working on the film, the budget and the time they have to do it. Maybe if they'd cut down on the overall action quota then they'd have had a better opportunity to do a better job of what action there was.

Still, there was some incredible visuals in the film, some truly astonishing CGI - I loved the way Superman floated when he calls Zod a "monster" and they both fly at eachother - Never seen him floating like that on screen before (and the scene where the floor gives way underneath him in the office block when Zod is going berzerk with the heat vision...awesome stuff).

I have a few favourite scenes in the film, but my favourite is probably the final scene between Zod and Supes SPOILERS .....when Supes breaks his neck. Powerful stuff, and a thrilling scene.

Zimmer's score is out of this world - Tremendous considering what he was up against. I didn't miss the Williams' score at all.

The human elements of the film were handled wonderfully, but as has been mentioned a few times; I would have loved to have seen more of Costner (stuff was cut, but Snyder says this is the definitive cut of the film). The bit at the end where Jonathan Kent is working on the car and sees Clark running around with the red cape on was magnificent and brought a lump to the throat.

To summarise: I still feel it was a GOOD film, but frustratingly there is greatness there. It feels like that greatness evaporated with Snyder's love of major action. Too much for an origin story. It should have been slightly more simplified than the final film was - I mean, the death, destruction and general scale of this film is the kind of thing you'd expect to see in the final part of a trilogy or something. It was off the scale.

I think, in the end, the film buckled under its sheer scale.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 16/6/2013 10:19:43 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Avengers12)
Post #: 112
RE: What a shame - 16/6/2013 2:37:26 PM   
justfontaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripperman

I can’t remember the last time I was as bitterly disappointed with a film. I always had reservations with Zack Synder at the helm but I liked Watchmen and the fact that he slavishly put his love of the source material up on the screen in such a way gave me some hope.

This is a mess though, muddled confused, overly long with a flabby mid section that would put a devout Guinness drinker to shame. Henry Cavill flails wildly from decent to downright wooden (The one moment that captured everything, for me at least, about Superman was when he cast his eyes to the sun and then closed them, a simple one but beautifully done.)

It’s fair to say that the films stronger moments are the origins sections, both sets of parents are very good, Costner is outstanding bringing genuine humanity to the role model that Clark strives to match in his own young adult life.

Shannon is good as Zod, although some more menace would have been nice, something he’s perfectly capable of achieving (see the recent “The Iceman” for further evidence).

The last act of the film is a complete disaster, an homogenised mess of so so cgi and special effects of cars, builings, petrol stations, you name it, being thrown around or destroyed. It all blurs into a splodge of jerky and yet super fast sequences which genuinely left me with a headache, yearning for the thing to end so that we might see a final gasp of humour or sentiment, (There is a bit actually but by that stage you’ve just been so relentlessly beat around the head and eyes by the muscle flexing of the special effects department that its hard to muster up enough energy to even care).

I left it feeling sad and let down and wondering what would have happened if they focused more on those origin sections, on Clark and his adopted father and how their relationship would shape the man he would eventually become. DC have to seriously examine their movie outputs but in summary the idea of a great modern Superman movie remains as such, buried in the mind of someone, somewhere.

This is absolutely spot on. Saw it last night with reasonable expectations. After a weak opening that built to a rushed conclusion albeit with little to no investment, the middle hour gave us some (but not much) warmth and humanity so desperately required. Kevin Costner being the stand out, laces his scenes with a vulnerability and really gives it some heart but then... and this is where everything fell apart. The final hour is, for lack of a better word, un-watchable. A glossy mess. Snyder loses the film completely with a disastrous handling of the action sequences. Everything is blurred, super stylised, far too fast and masked by buildings exploding with absolutely NO CONSEQUENCES whatsoever. It's a hideous amalgamation of a Transformers movie and a video game. It reminded me of a child playing with two action figures, lifting them up in the air and then down again, crashing them together and then quickly getting bored and throwing them at the wall.

This is meant to be Superman in a 'real world' scenario ala The Dark Knight, right? Yet a whole city gets destroyed, millions must die surely and a week or so later everything is fine? Not one bit of exposition about the almost nuclear fallout-esque consequences of what has just happened? he final hour is hacked to pieces. It's humourless, poorly paced, it has zero sense of the classic superhero build up that we saw in Richard Donner's efforts or in Nolan's Batman outings. Lacking in charisma and fun. Such a let down.

Plus points to the middle section for some nice flashbacks, some beautiful cinematography in and around Smallville and a bar scene where Cavill represses his anger in the face of an aggressive thug has all the subtlety and style the rest of the film so badly lacks.

< Message edited by justfontaine -- 16/6/2013 2:41:07 PM >

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 113
RE: What a shame - 16/6/2013 3:15:24 PM   
justfontaine

Also, for anyone who cares about the callous disregard this film has for human life for the sake of a few buildings blowing up for style reasons then you should read this

http://badassdigest.com/2013/06/15/why-the-destruction-in-man-of-steel-matters/

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

Post #: 114
AVERAGE - 16/6/2013 4:55:24 PM   
Fozola

This movie started with a bang and I was hooked...until Krypton blew up then it all just went a bit meh! Really disappointed. I enjoyed it but on the whole it was a bit of a convoluted mess in the end! Ah well, wait for the Batman reboot I guess.

Post #: 115
RE: AVERAGE - 16/6/2013 6:14:37 PM   
fairyprincess

Thinks I didn't like:
1: shaky camera work at the beginning.
2: overlong krypton acton scene, jor-el on a flying creature
3: irritating non-liner origin flashback
4: pa Kent tell Clark he'd rather let a bus of school kids die, then goes into a tornado to rescue a dog
5: kal-el having his dead dads spirit on a kryptonian flash drive
6: superman spending most of the film getting the shit kicked out of him
7: no iconic music
8: slight religious subtext
9: action scenes to fast and blurry
10:kryptonians being sent to the phantom zones via flying dildos. (seriously, check it out.)
11: nothing set up to establish why superman's "super"
12: Amy Adams, an actress I usually love, giving a lacklustre Lois lane
13: bland action sequences to reliant on cgi
14: superman using his child rocket as a glorified missle

Man of steel, man of shit......

< Message edited by fairyprincess -- 16/6/2013 6:17:50 PM >

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to Fozola)
Post #: 116
RE: AVERAGE - 16/6/2013 6:21:56 PM   
pete_traynor

Saddens me to say... But pretty damn poor!

Cavill was good as Supes though and none of the blame lies with him for me.

But this just descended into a truly, truly horrible and tedious CGI horror. The entire duration of World War II probably saw less explosions than this mess.

2 * The wait for the Superman movie of my dreams goes on

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 117
RE: AVERAGE - 16/6/2013 7:40:30 PM   
bennyboy71

The Krypton bit at the start was silly and overblown
The bit with Clarke doing his David Banner broody soul-searching fugitive act was the best bit
Once Zod shows up on the radars, everything that follows is just sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The film as a whole has a strange pitch too it - kinda thin and shrill. Walking out, the biggest feeling I had was fatigue and a sense of hollowness.

3 biggest WTF elements or me:
1) If Russell Crowe can live on after death, why don't all the doomed Kryptonians do that?
2) The ridiculously random scene in the church. Symbolism laid on thicker than Crowe's accent.
3) The pointlessly bleached out cinematography.

Give me the warm melancholy of Superman Returns over this any day of the week.

< Message edited by bennyboy71 -- 16/6/2013 7:45:28 PM >

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 118
RE: AVERAGE - 16/6/2013 7:57:32 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: fairyprincess

Thinks I didn't like:
1: shaky camera work at the beginning.
2: overlong krypton acton scene, jor-el on a flying creature
3: irritating non-liner origin flashback
4: pa Kent tell Clark he'd rather let a bus of school kids die, then goes into a tornado to rescue a dog
5: kal-el having his dead dads spirit on a kryptonian flash drive
6: superman spending most of the film getting the shit kicked out of him
7: no iconic music
8: slight religious subtext
9: action scenes to fast and blurry
10:kryptonians being sent to the phantom zones via flying dildos. (seriously, check it out.)
11: nothing set up to establish why superman's "super"
12: Amy Adams, an actress I usually love, giving a lacklustre Lois lane
13: bland action sequences to reliant on cgi
14: superman using his child rocket as a glorified missle

Man of steel, man of shit......

Man Of Shit! I like that.

I would go further. I hated this film. Ugly. Soulless. Crap CGI [I've seen better skyscraper destruction effects in the cheapest Godzilla movie]. And that bloody shakycam....I came very close to walking out, but stayed, hoping just for a minute I might get to see some of the action properly. But no. And of course, another bloody shit Hans Zimmer score.

I feel sorry for today's kids. Kids in the 70's grew up with the wonderful uplift and escapism of the 1978 Superman. Today's have to put up with this bilge.

I will say that Cavill was surprisingly good, but yes,Adams was unusually poor, maybe she realised what she was in.

This crap is an insult to Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Richard Donner, Christopher Reeve and all those who created the legend of Superman. F*** you Zach Snyder and Chris Nolan.

3 out of 10, and one star is for some of the acting.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 119
What I've been waiting for - 16/6/2013 8:05:21 PM   
danielthompson99

Absolutely wonderful. I have been waiting for this movie since I heard Snyder was on board, and he does not disappoint at all.
Epic scale, and handled with a reverence for the original material. This movie is huge.
At over 2hrs long, it didn't feel long at all, as the origin passes into the climax from around the half way point.
Batman set the bar high. Green Lantern, for some reason I still can't fathom really missed the mark. Man of Steel has set things to rights, and the future looks very promising indeed.
Wonder Woman (starring Kaley Cuoco) anyone ?

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> What a shame Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI