Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Nolan's gimp voice

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Nolan's gimp voice Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nolan's gimp voice - 11/6/2013 3:12:21 PM   
Normal Control

I feel sorry for people who's lives must be so exciting that they get kicks from reading reviews then spunk their own stars/reviews before even seeing the film. Nolan, Bay, Abrams, etc, have your a$$es on lock-down.

Personally the trailers and Zach Snyder's direction give me confidence that Nolan's influence won't fuck this up as much as The Dark Knight turdogy.

Humour equals wit, and that's why Nolan's entire output has the IQ of a mosquito. Just hoping Superman doesn't develop a gimp Super-voice somewhere along the line.

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 31
RE: Nolan's gimp voice - 11/6/2013 3:18:04 PM   
MonsterCat

Edit - Sorry, mods. No more bitchy comments.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/6/2013 3:23:51 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 32
RE: Nolan's gimp voice - 11/6/2013 3:24:35 PM   
Normal Control

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
Edit

What the hell...? I'll post a review after I've seen the movie.

< Message edited by shool -- 11/6/2013 3:26:39 PM >

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 33
RE: Nolan's gimp voice - 11/6/2013 3:25:32 PM   
shool

Thanks for the edit MC.

This review gives me encouragement. The RT score tempers my optimism.
I will approach this film with caution and not definitely, ever, expect any comedy.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 34
RE: Nolan's gimp voice - 11/6/2013 3:26:21 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Normal Control

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
Edit

What the hell...? I'll post a review after I've seen the movie.

Carry on. nothing to see here.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 35
RE: Nolan's gimp voice - 11/6/2013 3:28:14 PM   
rawlinson

Shool, pm.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 36
To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 3:52:35 PM   
readyrr

So Empire's review of Man of Steel seems to echo the sentiments of the US critics here: much to be praised, but if only there had been more humor in the story line. To tell you the truth I look forward to the movie more now because of these comments about a lack of humor. I loved the first half of the Christopher Reeve version for exactly the reason that it took the story so reverently, (the scene of young Clark Kent standing alone in the prairie still gives me goosebumps). Introduce Lex Luthor, and a masterpiece swiftly turned into a moderately entertaining film for me. Gene Hackman absolutely ruined that version of Superman for me. Singer's version was still born. I'm hoping that Snyder, with his reverence for the original source, finally turned the only super hero I actually give a hoot about, into a first class movie. Can't wait to see it this weekend.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 37
To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 4:04:07 PM   
readyrr

So Empire's review of Man of Steel seems to echo the sentiments of the US critics here: much to be praised, but if only there had been more humor in the story line. To tell you the truth I look forward to the movie more now because of these comments about a lack of humor. I loved the first half of the Christopher Reeve version for exactly the reason that it took the story so reverently, (the scene of young Clark Kent standing alone in the prairie still gives me goosebumps). Introduce Lex Luthor, and a masterpiece swiftly turned into a moderately entertaining film for me. Gene Hackman absolutely ruined that version of Superman for me. Singer's version was still born. I'm hoping that Snyder, with his reverence for the original source, finally turned the only super hero I actually give a hoot about, into a first class movie. Can't wait to see it this weekend.

Post #: 38
RE: only 4 stars ! - 11/6/2013 4:39:08 PM   
Beta Bill Ray

I can not judge the star rating as I have not even seen the film yet but what bugs me is what many have mentioned.. comedy. Why would they want comedy? Isn't the reason Empire and everyone else loved the Batman trilogy cause it took itself seriously finally unlike the first 4 films that were campy? Also, the review spends time talking about Batman and other irrelevant things. If they want to compare it to Batman then I'd like to say that there is no way Batman Begins (Katie Holmes specifically being so shite in it) or The Dark Knight Rises (long, boring, silly ending) are 5 Stars. The Dark Knight was probably the only one that was nearly perfect with a great story, acting etc...

Superman will always be a tough character to make perfect on the big screen but I am very confident that this will most likely be better than all 5 previous Superman films. Ahh and yes, giving Superman Returns a 5/5 rating is insane and what makes this all worse. I like SR and think it is underrated but Kevin Spacey like Gene Hackman was a shit Lex Luthor and Brian Singer tried hard to keep the campy silly one liner comedy in the franchise rather than be brace, grow a pair and make a different superman film than those of Christopher Reeves.. to the point that he got Brandon Routh looking like a younger version of Reeves.

I can not wait for this still and I am sure it will be a good take on the most famous and well known superhero ever.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 39
RE: To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 4:41:30 PM   
Scruffybobby

Very encouraged by the positive reviews. Got my IMAX tickets booked for next Monday , very much looking forward to it. As for the apparent lack of humour, thtat's  not all that surprsing given the tone of the trailers so far, but I would have expected a bit of levity or lightness of touch . That this does seem to be an issue that's brought up by multiple reviewers does make me think it's more than just a problem that it's not funny - maybe the thing is just a bit too self reverential or has been suggested a bit heavy handed. Whatever I won't know untill I see it. Maybe people should wait until they have before criticising what could be a very valid conern of those that have already.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to readyrr)
Post #: 40
RE: To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 4:56:09 PM   
pete_traynor

Who in the hell was expecting humour from this? The trailers guaranteed that this was going to be gritty and serious in tone. I wasn’t expecting humour at all. In fact, that line in the TV spot “I just think he’s kinda hot” (urrgh) jarred for me as it seemed like trying to inject light-heartedness where there may not have been any need. See also, “nice ride” from Batman Begins and those kids shooing at cars only for the cars to then (ARF) actually explode in The Dark Knight. Lame, unnecessary attempts at comedy where they weren’t needed… also see Banes voice in the Dar… actually wait, that did work. Hilarious!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 41
To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 5:10:27 PM   
readyrr

Post #: 42
RE: To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 6:50:00 PM   
belcher77

How is Diane Lane in the movie as Martha Kent?

(in reply to readyrr)
Post #: 43
RE: To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 7:33:38 PM   
y2cave

Another review where I'm not convinced the reviewer has even seen the film. I could have written this review having watched only the trailers. No comments on specific scenes? Particularly outstanding performances? Cavill's strengths? Score? Plot strengths (hints of surprises?)? Have we really seen all there is to see from the promo material?

(in reply to belcher77)
Post #: 44
RE: To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 8:04:30 PM   
Cool Breeze

I just knew that ridiculous 5 star rating given out to Superman Returns back in 2006 would come back to bite Empire in the ass someday!

As for Man Of steel, i cannot wait to see it.As for the lack of humour, well that bit in the trailer where Lois asks Kal-el '' whats with the S ? '' i thought was pretty funny.I woud guess that the film, like the Dark knight trilogy, does have humour except that its more subtle than previous films in the series.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to y2cave)
Post #: 45
RE: To Laugh or not to Laugh - 11/6/2013 8:39:38 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: y2cave

Another review where I'm not convinced the reviewer has even seen the film. I could have written this review having watched only the trailers. No comments on specific scenes? Particularly outstanding performances? Cavill's strengths? Score? Plot strengths (hints of surprises?)? Have we really seen all there is to see from the promo material?

Perhaps they got sick of the other comments about reviews that go into any detail at all. Which we also get ad nauseum.

I realise humour is mentioned in the review, but it's primarily in the context of character, particularly with Lois Lane. And it also references a lack of depth and warmth. So while it might be fun to claim the review wants custard pies, I think it's saying a lot more than that and making it sound very much in spirit like Batman Begins. And if you think that's pretty dreary, then that's fair warning for this film.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to y2cave)
Post #: 46
RE: only 4 stars ! - 11/6/2013 9:38:42 PM   
Super Hans

I've always thought this looked just a tad too po-faced and overly serious for my liking (especially for a Superman film) but being unfamliar with the source comics, maybe this is more true to them than the Reeve series - I don't know?

Still, the last trailer made me think it might be well worth watching, even if it takes itself more seriously than you'd think it should. At least it seems to have more style and backbone than the wet, sappy love letter to the original films that Superman Returns did.

Current life situation means that it will be DVD for me though...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 47
RE: only 4 stars ! - 11/6/2013 10:47:34 PM   
elab49

Superman is like most comics - different writers, different takes, different runs so different styles. So they can probably find runs of a comic to match any approach they wanted to take.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 48
Man of Steel - 12/6/2013 10:02:44 AM   
Invader_Ace

Can't wait to see this.

I wonder what would happen to review comments if Empire dropped star ratings all together and just went with the text.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/6/2013 11:43:08 AM >

Post #: 49
RE: only 4 stars ! - 12/6/2013 11:44:30 AM   
elab49

Sorry - couple of edits there because the review link seems gone and the title of the page disappeared as well.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/6/2013 12:26:01 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 50
RE: Man of Steel - 12/6/2013 12:22:04 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Can't wait to see this.

I wonder what would happen to review comments if Empire dropped star ratings all together and just went with the text.

"I can't believe you gave this film no stars", probably.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 51
RE: Man of Steel - 12/6/2013 12:34:30 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Can't wait to see this.

You'd still get stupid shit like accusations of backhanders and what-not.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 52
RE: Man of Steel - 12/6/2013 12:41:06 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

quote:

Can't wait to see this.

"I can't believe you gave this film no stars", probably.

It may well weedle out anyone who doesn't bother reading the actual text of the review and make for a more worthwhile discussion!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 53
RE: Man of Steel - 12/6/2013 12:42:02 PM   
Captain Black

I believe my previous assumption still applies.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 54
RE: Man of Steel - 12/6/2013 1:02:40 PM   
demoncleaner

At the time of seeing The Dark Knight Rises trailer I said to myself “ooh I hope this is good, because it appears to be taking itself very seriously”.   For me that film turned out to be as self-serious as it needed to be.  When I saw the first trailers for Man of Steel I thought the exact same thing although in fairness the trailers seemed to warrant that apprehension a little more because it was… you know…promising a bit of a Jesus story.  The final trailers just look bad-ass though as the young people of today say, so that apprehension hasn’t stayed long and I’m really looking forward to it.

I think that having a superhero with granite-jawed stoicism painted in a slightly tragic fashion has real potential to grate against the broad-strokes opera of a comic book action fillum.  The new evolution of comic book adaptations obviously want to elaborate on their characters in a very serious, forensic way.  I applaud that approach but I guess the challenge is avoiding a tilt from seriousness (seriousness is great) into preciousness (precious isn’t great). 

That’s just my general view on humourlessness in these adaptations.  Sometimes an asset, sometimes a liability, but I’m really looking forward to Man of Steel on Friday.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 55
Costner's performance ups the rating to 3 stars - 12/6/2013 2:08:36 PM   
Jasper_29

Entertaining, but obviously a vehicle that's big and loud and tries to move from big set-piece to bigger set-piece. It feels as if it's 3 hours long. Slightly better than Singer's let down from a few years back, but only just. There's have been reviews that call this the best superhero movie ever made. Lower your expectations, because even though I thought all the hype surrounding The Dark Knight was ludicrous, not a single aspect of this movie even touches upon that level.

Post #: 56
RE: only 4 stars ! - 12/6/2013 2:32:53 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Sorry - couple of edits there because the review link seems gone and the title of the page disappeared as well.

That Zod scamp!

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 57
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 12/6/2013 8:08:52 PM   
Gillhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gillhead

From the magazine which gave Superman Returns 5 stars, that is all. I'll reserve judgement on the movie until I've watched it, but what the hell, have another star Mr Synder!

There really is one in every village isn't there...

Gotta love cowards who snipe at strangers through the internet, pathetic.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 58
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 12/6/2013 8:48:12 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

From the magazine which gave Superman Returns 5 stars, that is all. I'll reserve judgement on the movie until I've watched it, but what the hell, have another star Mr Synder!

There really is one in every village isn't there...

Gotta love cowards who snipe at strangers through the internet, pathetic.

Not sure what was cowardly about my comment? I merely felt the need to point out my exaserbation at people who come on the Empire forum, and then criticise not a film, but the review itself; without actually having seen the film themselves. It seems a little narsasistic to me.

There is a night club near where I live that's terrible. I hate it. It's the kind of place that people que to get into and stick to the floor at the end of the night. Pretty sure you can pick up chlamidia from the pint glasses and its filled with women that crave Barcardi Breezer flavoured morning after pills. I mean seriously, I've walked into the toilets of this place and found a poo right in the middle of the toilet floor....just sat there! Staring up at any one who walks in there. In many respects, on one level it improved the decor.

I down go in the club anymore, I don't like it. I dont want to have a tetnus jab every time I have a glass of wine.

The logic of people who come on these forums just to review a review or criticise Empire confuse me. It would be like me going into the club again and criticising the dj.

But I do apologise for any offence caused. I should have articulated better

Personally I think the film looks frickin awesome. Just lost my baby sitter this weekend though...bad times

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Gillhead)
Post #: 59
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 12/6/2013 9:38:55 PM   
Gillhead

Well articulated apology Sir and apologies for reviewing reviews! I know this night club you described.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Nolan's gimp voice Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI