Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Man of Steel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Man of Steel Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 1:34:08 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Superman Returns really isn't all that bad. The Superboy subplot doesn't quite work and it could have done with more action, but at least it has heart, still recognisably features Superman [even if he does have flaws, at least he doesn't break someone's neck], and doesn't look it's been shot through a dirty lens by a small child who can't keep a camera still for more than a second.

Man of Steel has actually made me appreciate Superman Returns. never thought I would see the day but I dusted off the SR DVD and put it on again this weekend!. A rather enjoyable way to spend a a couple of hours after a long Sunday walk and my kids gave it the thumbs up over MoS! guess which scene they loved the most?....
For all their faults I put SR and MoS at the same level if I'm honest, both in firm category of `nice try` but i want another reboot ! :)

Wouldn't you rather see a sequel to MOS that deals with all the critisism's it has been getting?

Like I said earlier in this thread (or the one that's still live in future films) both Snyder and Goyer have said that this whole film is one big learning curve for Superman and that they will address them in the sequel(s)! Yes Jor-El and Pa Kent set up his moral code to some extent, but in the end it's down to Superman himself to work out the kinks! That means developing his own rule of not killing anyone because he has traumatised himself somewhat by killing off the last survivor of Krypton (other than himself obviously). It means he has to learn himself to do more to take fights as far away from civvies as possible, because of all the destruction his first one brought to Smallville and Metropolis! That's a key point for me - this is his FIRST mega battle, so of course is gonna be a bit,....er,....slap-dash - for lack of a better phrase). In his next smackdown, maybe there will only be a few hundred casualties rather than a few thousand!

I dont think it was totally without flaws. I did think the action was a tad OTT and yeah, the number of human casualties that wasn't even addressed did sit a bit funny with me, but in the main part I thought it was great fun - which is what I want from a summer blockbuster, and a Superman film. Fun, loads of crash, bang, wallop and a bit of heart thrown in for good measure, and it was all there as far as I'm concerned!

For me personally I don't see how a sequel will fix the worst flaws of MoS (the origins/flashbacks) and hence the rest of the franchise. Yes, they might make a much better movie second time around, as much as I piss and whinge its only because I was so looking forward to this movie and felt completely gutted by it. It wont be the first time I have preferred a sequel to the first movie! I much preferred TDK to BB. But damn, they need to develop characters quick smart and get better CGi artists in!.

I am surprised by the rest of your comments as I thought the movie was mostly totally joyless,not remotely fun and very little heart. It appears to be a mistake with so many big budget movies these days that movies makers don't bother or fail miserably to make us empathize or like main characters enough to care what happens to them, so the rest of the movie doesn't work( Jesus, even Michael Bay can manage that ffs!).
The only characters I thought remotely engaging in MoS where Pa Kent, Perry and Pete Ross funnily enough, all of which either woefully underused or of course given 'Stupid deaths' :(

I know have the image of Horrible Histories Stupid Deaths sketch with Jonathon Kent
"Well, there was this killer tornado, and I went back to save a dog .... !"
"so it was completely avoidable because of your superhuman son you say!"
" oh yeh but I had to teach him a lesson and it kind of backfired"
"hoo hooo hhaa hhhaa, gone on then, in you go"

I can certainly relate to that feeling. That was how I felt about Prometheus. Then again - didn't everybody!

Did you really find Perry White engaging? Do you mean the scene where he's running from the falling skyscraper - because it was actually his moobs rather than the man himself that was engaging so I'm not sure that counts!!

I wont bang on about it though. I liked it (same as alot of people) you didn't (same as alot of people) it's as simple as that! I do sympathise with the likes of yourself and Pete etc, I would be absolutely gutted if I had been waiting as long as we all have for this only to be dissapointed. Sucks to be you!!

nah, I never had much hope for Prometheus!
I thought Fishy stole every scene from Adam/Lois (not hard), but then I think that happens in Donners version too. he was always going to be solid in that role as hes so used to playing those types of characters. I actually didn't notice the moobs! but then apparently I didnt notice a lot of things ;)
Thank you for at least sympathizing rather than making up excuses for the movie and upsetting us further I waited 30 damn years for this movie! sucks to be me....

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 421
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 3:38:57 PM   
Pandora

I wonder if I am the only one that, while watching action movies, wonders who will repair all the damage done by the fighting and how much it costs. (Maybe it's because I work in administration?)

I'm not sure yet what to think of the movie. It was a bit too long and I would have liked to care more for the characters - the flashbacks were good, I thought. The visuals look expensive and are well done and the film is impressive on the big screen. Still, somehow the movie did not entirely convince me. Loved Michael Shannon though!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 422
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 3:47:49 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pandora

I wonder if I am the only one that, while watching action movies, wonders who will repair all the damage done by the fighting and how much it costs. (Maybe it's because I work in administration?)

I'm not sure yet what to think of the movie. It was a bit too long and I would have liked to care more for the characters - the flashbacks were good, I thought. The visuals look expensive and are well done and the film is impressive on the big screen. Still, somehow the movie did not entirely convince me. Loved Michael Shannon though!

Just be glad you don't work in insurance? .....would any of these companies be covered for Alien invasion? would it be paid out under terrorism.

(in reply to Pandora)
Post #: 423
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 4:32:35 PM   
Artoo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pandora

Just be glad you don't work in insurance? .....would any of these companies be covered for Alien invasion? would it be paid out under terrorism.

Even if they were covered the bastard insurance wankers would no doubt say something like "Oooh, sorry - you're only covered for attacks by Aliens that originate within our own solar system. Kryptonian damage isn't covered I'm afraid!" or something!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 424
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 6:41:49 PM   
Darth Marenghi

All the jibes at Fishburne's weight sadden me... I remember when he was really built in the first Matrix film.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 425
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 7:53:43 PM   
Private Hudson

I think Larry Fishbourne is a legend!

I was in Memphis in 2010 and we went to see Predators at a multiplex. The crowd was 99% African American (never understand that phrase as it wouldn't be used to describe a North African?) and the bit when Larry takes off that Predator helmet to reveal himself culminated in cheering and hollering and indeed some people giving him a standing ovation! A truly memorable cinematic experience... the film sadly wasn't!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 426
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 9:33:24 PM   
Dannybohy

You all suck! no one has said how amazing my new avatar is!!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 4/7/2013 8:47:01 AM >

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 427
Super- mess - 4/7/2013 12:55:11 AM   
moosebuger

This is another great example of the problem with movies today...who is "Man of steel" aimed at? If you love a good character driven film, you'll love the first half and if you're a computer gaming spotty super hero lovin' nerd you'll love the second half. This film is trying to be the Everyman of super hero/action films and it doesn't work...stop trying to please everyone on the planet. But more importantly stop with the huge, over long fight/chase/destruction scenes that last forever! Star Trek 2 fell into the same trap, clever movie spoiled by over long childish computer graphic explosive chase nonsense...aargh

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 428
RE: Man of Steel - 4/7/2013 10:55:25 AM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

All the jibes at Fishburne's weight sadden me... I remember when he was really built in the first Matrix film.

I dont think Lawrence Fishburne was ever really "built" to be honest. Are you upset because you have moobs too?

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

Post #: 429
No No NO - 5/7/2013 1:22:35 PM   
Eugene72

Dont read if you haven't seen. This film promised so much. i have been aching to take my 7 year old to see it . First 30 mins on Krypton ...amazing a whole new unique universe with technology ideas we have never seen before...truly a joy. Russel Crowe an absolute god on screen. I could have watched an entire film on Krypton as a lead up to Man of Steel. Huge amounts of story crammed into 30 minutes. Then Man of Steel turns in the incredible hulk? NO NO NO NO ....why is an indestructible man moping around like a homeless person with what looks like hygiene problems. PS he has what looks like rotting bottom teeth . Has he been brushing with Kryptonite? . The bad guys who are supposed to be super intelligent require taxis to and from the planet surface and between cities despite the fact they can fly ? And no matter what superman does not snap peoples necks ?Even bad guys . They are a good people CAL they just need to be shown the way and they will join you in the sun ...oh and snap some bad guys necks( wrong ) try explain that to your kid ) Louis lane was more like Dana Scully looking for Aliens . In Short Krypton good ...rest of film written on the side of a fast food carton before going into production . Singer Should have directed this film it would have been good instead of making a well directed poor film . This film should have been Awesome. People should get to vote on who directs these movies. Oh and this was better than Superman returns .

Post #: 430
RE: No No NO - 5/7/2013 5:19:36 PM   
Private Hudson

Imagine letting the public vote for director?

That would be mental!

I can just see the likes of Milos Forman doing the next Batman and Paul Anderson directing a biopic on the life of Mandela.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Eugene72)
Post #: 431
RE: Man of Steel - 5/7/2013 8:11:05 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Not as amazing as Ref's...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 432
RE: Man of Steel - 5/7/2013 9:08:10 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Aww shucks Though kudos needs to go to JaD from another forum as he/she make it, the genius that they are.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 433
Don't listen to the naysayers! - 5/7/2013 9:15:48 PM   
mancalledpete

Ok, listen up - this film BLEW ME AWAY. Just unbelievably incredible film-making. There are gaping holes & obvious flaws. Some really shoddy dialog & the dragon thing was dumped straight out of Revenge of the Sith... But seriously, who cares!? It was EPIC. An astonishing take on the material & in its own right a great great movie. BIG... REALLY BIG... I'm glad I did 2D though, I think 3D would have made my brain explode.
Now my final point... Massive massive kudos to Snyder for this movie. The pressure must have been huge & he's totally stuck to his guns & made a Snyder movie which is really an amazing feat. Good on him. It looks beautiful & contemporary. Can't wait to see it again. And again. And again. And again.

Post #: 434
RE: Man of Steel - 5/7/2013 9:53:03 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Aww shucks Though kudos needs to go to JaD from another forum as he/she make it, the genius that they are.

The fact that Dannybohy no doubt hates it just adds to its charm.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 435
RE: No No NO - 5/7/2013 10:02:29 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Imagine letting the public vote for director?

That would be mental!

I can just see the likes of Milos Forman doing the next Batman and Paul Anderson directing a biopic on the life of Mandela.

You have just made my day!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 436
RE: No No NO - 6/7/2013 12:06:08 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

I dont think Lawrence Fishburne was ever really "built" to be honest. Are you upset because you have moobs too?

Luckily, I've been spared that indignity.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 437
RE: No No NO - 6/7/2013 5:44:02 PM   
sanchia

So far...

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 438
RE: No No NO - 6/7/2013 11:46:48 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Crikey, you know who your friends are in this place don't you?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 439
RE: No No NO - 7/7/2013 12:56:27 AM   
Too old for comics

I realise that I’m coming to this fairly late, but I saw the movie the other day and thought I’d add my thoughts.
I did enjoy the movie; the epic scale definitely befitted the nature of the story and the nature of the hero and while, unlike Empire, I didn’t notice/miss the lack of ‘laughs’, for me there was definitely a lack of emotional engagement. I was observing the movie, but I wasn’t necessarily feeling it, which definitely took something away from the whole experience. I liken it to the difference between watching a roller-coaster go up and down and round and round, and actually riding it.
The early scenes of Clark growing up are acted well enough but they’re too short, they don’t linger, they don’t explore enough of what it was like for him/his adopted parents. When you come to the death of Jonathan Kent, we know what it means for Clark by his reaction, but we’re not feeling it with him, because we haven’t witnessed enough of their relationship at that point (the fact that what there is is chopped up and seen via flashback does not help).
There’s a bit of a theme of things being dealt with too quickly and then being told about their apparent significance after the event; Zod’s ‘betrayal’ of Jorel, The reason for Jonathan ‘sacrificing’ himself. Didn’t work in my view and contributed to the ‘arm’s length’ feel. The death of ‘Pa Kent’ in particular, I feel the scene could have been much more powerful if Jonathan and Clark had had an argument about Clark using his powers to save him.
Finally, the special effects, while being integral in the film being able to be as ‘epic’ as it is, their (over) use does at times contribute to the sense of detachment. The reason being that through either necessity or choice the camera angle is wide, with the feeling of being ‘far off, when actually you want to be tight and up close sometimes to get a sense of the effort, the peril, the toll.
On reflection I do get the sense that there was a conscious effort not to re-tread or be seen to be re-doing the original films (e.g. to ‘do things differently’), but while it is understandable, it’s ‘letter of the law’ execution has prevented it from being the truly great film it potentially could have been.

Post #: 440
Superman Returns 5 stars... Man of Steel 4 stars???? - 7/7/2013 5:37:09 PM   
Ben Holland

Man of Steel is 10 times the film Superman Returns is. This goes back to its comic book roots. Superman is an alien. This is SF through n' through. If you want DC Superman, this is it in aces. If you want Danielle Steel's version, then watch Superman Returns.

Post #: 441
RE: No No NO - 8/7/2013 10:13:54 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Too old for comics

I realise that I’m coming to this fairly late, but I saw the movie the other day and thought I’d add my thoughts.
I did enjoy the movie; the epic scale definitely befitted the nature of the story and the nature of the hero and while, unlike Empire, I didn’t notice/miss the lack of ‘laughs’, for me there was definitely a lack of emotional engagement. I was observing the movie, but I wasn’t necessarily feeling it, which definitely took something away from the whole experience. I liken it to the difference between watching a roller-coaster go up and down and round and round, and actually riding it.
The early scenes of Clark growing up are acted well enough but they’re too short, they don’t linger, they don’t explore enough of what it was like for him/his adopted parents. When you come to the death of Jonathan Kent, we know what it means for Clark by his reaction, but we’re not feeling it with him, because we haven’t witnessed enough of their relationship at that point (the fact that what there is is chopped up and seen via flashback does not help).
There’s a bit of a theme of things being dealt with too quickly and then being told about their apparent significance after the event; Zod’s ‘betrayal’ of Jorel, The reason for Jonathan ‘sacrificing’ himself. Didn’t work in my view and contributed to the ‘arm’s length’ feel. The death of ‘Pa Kent’ in particular, I feel the scene could have been much more powerful if Jonathan and Clark had had an argument about Clark using his powers to save him.
Finally, the special effects, while being integral in the film being able to be as ‘epic’ as it is, their (over) use does at times contribute to the sense of detachment. The reason being that through either necessity or choice the camera angle is wide, with the feeling of being ‘far off, when actually you want to be tight and up close sometimes to get a sense of the effort, the peril, the toll.
On reflection I do get the sense that there was a conscious effort not to re-tread or be seen to be re-doing the original films (e.g. to ‘do things differently’), but while it is understandable, it’s ‘letter of the law’ execution has prevented it from being the truly great film it potentially could have been.

Nice review, agreed and great first post! welcome...

(in reply to Too old for comics)
Post #: 442
Happy (spoliers) - 8/7/2013 10:30:14 AM   
Samurai7

This was enjoyable, and original - which isnt easy in a world that is comic book movie befok, and a story that has been done a kryptozillian times. Kudos for taking Superman in a GREAT direction - most of the decisions are great (Krypton, Louis Lane, Solitude, the Flashbacks, ZOD ZOD ZOD, Superman = Alien ...but some fall flat...Jonathan Kents demise, 15 minutes too much of chaotic CGI mess (and thats in 2D) - Zod should have been dispatched to the Phantom zone!
Can forgive Superman for lacking a little charisma this time round while he is a loner and establishes his identity.
Really keen for the next one, and I hope they learn from their mistakes - less CGI mayhem and more charisma from the man himself.

Post #: 443
RE: Happy (spoliers) - 10/7/2013 4:04:13 PM   
Dannybohy

As I have yet to tire of bashing this abomination of a Superman movie I thought I would share these guys reviews/comments from themovieblog.com its nice to see plenty of people noticing just how awful the editing and cut scenes are!
http://themovieblog.com/2013/why-man-of-steel-is-receiving-bad-reviews-while-the-public-loves-this-superman/

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 10/7/2013 4:24:56 PM >

(in reply to Samurai7)
Post #: 444
RE: Happy (spoliers) - 10/7/2013 4:08:24 PM   
shool

** Yawn ""

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 445
RE: Happy (spoliers) - 10/7/2013 4:18:42 PM   
elab49

Or, in other words,searching other sites to continue bashing a film in an Empire review thread - your own words - is getting to a step too far. By all means discuss the film but trawling other sites for film attacks to post here is more than a little over the top. If they want to post opinions here they're welcome - they don't need you as a proxy.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 446
RE: Happy (spoliers) - 10/7/2013 4:20:32 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Or, in other words,searching other sites to continue bashing a film in an Empire review thread - your own words - is getting to a step too far. By all means discuss the film but trawling other sites for film attacks to post here is more than a little over the top. If they want to post opinions here they're welcome - they don't need you as a proxy.

lol. I wasn't specifically looking for reviews to post here! I merely came across them

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 10/7/2013 4:22:12 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 447
RE: Happy (spoliers) - 10/7/2013 6:44:30 PM   
Ref

It's getting a bit tiresome now, Dan. We get it: you don't like the film. Let bygones be bygones, enjoy the rest of your life and find a film in which you do like

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 448
RE: Happy (spoliers) - 11/7/2013 4:22:48 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

It's getting a bit tiresome now, Dan. We get it: you don't like the film. Let bygones be bygones, enjoy the rest of your life and find a film in which you do like

Only if you admit that dying for a dog was a terrible plot device?. . I politely and quite deliberately stayed away from the Favorite Films section! that took a lot of restraint.

But your right! I am annoying myself ....... I need a decent big budget movie damn it!!! ..... waiting for Pacific Rim!

If you liked Begins and TDKR you will love this movie. If not then save your money and buy the Donner cut of Superman: The Movie or The Last Son of Krypton animated collective.. That is my review and final words. good day sir

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 11/7/2013 4:25:01 PM >

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 449
RE: Happy (spoliers) - 11/7/2013 8:54:47 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

Only if you admit that dying for a dog was a terrible plot device?. . I politely and quite deliberately stayed away from the Favorite Films section! that took a lot of restraint.

But your right! I am annoying myself ....... I need a decent big budget movie damn it!!! ..... waiting for Pacific Rim!

If you liked Begins and TDKR you will love this movie. If not then save your money and buy the Donner cut of Superman: The Movie or The Last Son of Krypton animated collective.. That is my review and final words. good day sir

As others have said Danny, you didnt like the film.Fair enough.But you are just going round and round in circles and its long gone beyond trolling now.

Im sure you will be first in line for Man Of Steel 2 though.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Man of Steel Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI