Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were expecting! (SPOILERS)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were expecting! (SPOILERS) Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 12:00:30 PM   
sanchia

Nope I just can't be bothered responding. look at it this way, he only did these things following talking to the avatar of his biological father, that is not the best of us, that is the best of Krypton. Hardly an inspirational story for humanity when we are represented as being told to hide and not show our faces whilst Krypton is the positive aspects. What is inspirational about humanity being represented as hiding as if we do not it may cause problems? Also what is inspirational about having a battle in the middle of a populated city with thousands if not hundreds of thousands dying with no attempt being made to move that battle out of the city? Catching someone not once but twice is not inspirational, that is just catching someone who is falling and is not a stretch at all for such an individual as Superman. Admittedly giving himself up is admirable but I found the Oil Rig scene to be better handled, he also didn't have a lot of choice in the matter as the Earth would have been decimated if he had not, it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't moment.

It is not a case of not having a response but lacking the motivation to comment on a decidedly average film.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 30/6/2013 12:07:47 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 391
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 4:08:01 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

He may have died for his son but he did not instill the values of Superman in him in any way shape or form from what was presented in this this film. Clark appears to have come to a decision on wanting to help people on his own and this was further strengthened by Jor El. there was very little of the human in him which appeared to make him Superman at all, In fact it appeared to be by rejecting what he had learned as a human which made him such. The lessons he learned as a human was to hide and to keep what he was in secret, the lessons he learned from Jor El was to bring that greatness to the fore and to strive to raise others up with him.

I think the problem i have is that I am seeking a character who represents the best of what we are and is someone inspiring. The recent films fail to give this. The only times in this film felt any sense of this was the Oil Rig scene and the bus scene.

You must have missed the parts where Superman ..

Saves Lois from falling her death at least twice.

Gives himself up to Zod in the belief that the people of Earth will be spared if he does so.

Saves a bunch of people from being cut in half by Zods heat vision.

And oh yeah, is mostly responsible for saving humanity from being wiped out by Zods invasion fleet.

Sort of made redundant considering the huge amount of casualties definitely caused during his final battle agaisnt Zod, where he seemingly doesn't bother to take him out in a less inhabited area, same with that battle in the suburbs.

Or utterly failing, which I like, but still diminishes that.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 30/6/2013 4:11:13 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 392
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 4:38:00 PM   
Ref

But in the final battle with Zod, didn't he try and take the fight out of Metropolis though? I thought Supes tried to lure Zod out into space (where they buggered up the Wayne Satellite), however Zod just went back to Metropolis as his only aim was to destroy everything.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 393
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 5:44:49 PM   
Deviation

That shot came a bit too quick, but wasn't Zod the one who punched Supes into space? Till then he kept fighting Zod without a hint of his concern for the safety of thousands (or utterly failing, which I repeat, would be a nice dark touch) and it comes out as reckless.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 394
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 6:12:55 PM   
sanchia

That was how I saw it as well. They went straight up then straight down with no intent to leave the city.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 395
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 6:18:03 PM   
Ref

Must admit, I thought it was the other way round. Ah well, I'm going to see it again later next month so I can check then.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 396
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 6:26:26 PM   
sanchia

I may be wrong though as at that point the camera was being flung around so much it was difficult to focus on what was happening.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 397
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 6:27:36 PM   
Ref

Well that is certainly true enough.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 398
RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were exp... - 30/6/2013 7:13:01 PM   
Deviation

Seriously, I haven't seen so many thousands stuck between a battle and getting killed just for being there ever since Tetsuo discovered he had those powers and starting a revolt within Neo-Tokyo, collapsing satellites and everything.

And I can understand the city, but Supes pretty much sent the Kyptonians into those suburbs in the previous battle. That's reckless Supes.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 30/6/2013 7:14:45 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 399
RE: Man of Steel - 30/6/2013 8:07:57 PM   
jrewing1000

I kinda saw this version of Superman as the Year One of an ongoing tale. Man of Steel seemed to tell the story of how Superman grapples with his powers, and the struggle NOT to fight. In the end he just loses it and the city of Metropolis pays the price.

It didn't bother me too much just how destructive Zod Vs Superman was. In fact, it was great to FINALLY see how powerful these characters can be. However, with such power, comes a tradeoff. I didn't for once think that either of the characters were in any real danger, so it was a shame they didn't concentrate more on the vunerable humans. They tried with Fishbourne and Co. but it wasn't really enough.

Still - it's just another take on Superman. It will be interesting to see what the reboot in another 10 years has in store.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 400
RE: Man of Steel - 30/6/2013 8:28:50 PM   
Deviation

As much as seeing how powerful they were was fun, and I enjoyed the wanton destruction, you still have that niggling doubt that this is Superman staying in a location thousands will be hurt. It's just not very thoughtful for somebody meant to be protecting humanity and being the best of us. Some lines of dialouges or some extra scenes showing Supes showing his utmost for people not to be harmed would have been really helpful.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 401
RE: Man of Steel - 30/6/2013 9:59:05 PM   
Private Hudson

I enjoyed it far more again and in 3D. Still a tad repetitive in the fighting, but a great summer movie and far better than Superman Returns.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 402
RE: Man of Steel - 30/6/2013 10:17:56 PM   
sanchia

Recurring herpes is better than Superman Returns.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 403
RE: Man of Steel - 1/7/2013 1:15:04 AM   
horribleives

As much as I enjoyed Man Of Steel (flaws and all), like most blockbusters there's no way on earth I could be arsed to watch it again.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 404
RE: Man of Steel - 1/7/2013 1:37:33 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Recurring herpes is better than Superman Returns.

Yeah that really is the way not to make a modern sequel. Superman III was more fun. It is only marginally better than Superman IV which is really the Jaws: The Revenge of Superman movies.

Kevin Spacey may be a good actor in other things, but I thought he was dreadful as Lex Luthor. Neither funny or scary. He came across as some limp wristed Thespian who was trying to scratch out Brandon Routh's... er, eyes.

Seriously, not a good film at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 405
RE: Man of Steel - 1/7/2013 12:18:15 PM   
Dr Lenera

Superman Returns really isn't all that bad. The Superboy subplot doesn't quite work and it could have done with more action, but at least it has heart, still recognisably features Superman [even if he does have flaws, at least he doesn't break someone's neck], and doesn't look it's been shot through a dirty lens by a small child who can't keep a camera still for more than a second.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 406
RE: Man of Steel - 1/7/2013 1:03:57 PM   
sanchia

I would say at least this film does try to stand on its own feet and has good casting.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 1/7/2013 1:05:18 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 407
RE: Man of Steel - 1/7/2013 1:31:02 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Superman Returns really isn't all that bad. The Superboy subplot doesn't quite work and it could have done with more action, but at least it has heart, still recognisably features Superman [even if he does have flaws, at least he doesn't break someone's neck], and doesn't look it's been shot through a dirty lens by a small child who can't keep a camera still for more than a second.

Man of Steel has actually made me appreciate Superman Returns. never thought I would see the day but I dusted off the SR DVD and put it on again this weekend!. A rather enjoyable way to spend a a couple of hours after a long Sunday walk and my kids gave it the thumbs up over MoS! guess which scene they loved the most?....
For all their faults I put SR and MoS at the same level if I'm honest, both in firm category of `nice try` but i want another reboot ! :)

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 1/7/2013 1:33:05 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 408
Super Steel - 1/7/2013 3:24:02 PM   
silence1

This film contains inspired special effects and a purely brilliant story line that would give even the smallest fan a violent Nerdgasm. You may think i exaggerate on this but you sirs are wrong, for me this film is the best film this year and would probably beat the upcoming SFX thriller Pacific Rim with its graphics eventhough it doesn't depend on them. The final battle was amazing that incorperated truelly amazing graphics that warmed my heart upon my eyes seeing them. Several Easter eggs can be found in the film such as the Wayne industries satelite they tore out of the atmosphere and Lex corp during the comet scene.

Henry Cavill played Superman superbly, giving real emotion to the usually emotionless Superman you see in the cartoons and comics. Michael Shannon played the role of a villian brilliantly really giving the impression of a mad man bent on trying to save a planet that had been destroyed years ago. These two pinnacle characters where played amazingly and properly portrayed their characters fully and as they should be in my eyes. Overall a brilliant film so i give this movie a 4.5

Post #: 409
Super Steel - 1/7/2013 3:24:05 PM   
silence1

This film contains inspired special effects and a purely brilliant story line that would give even the smallest fan a violent Nerdgasm. You may think i exaggerate on this but you sirs are wrong, for me this film is the best film this year and would probably beat the upcoming SFX thriller Pacific Rim with its graphics eventhough it doesn't depend on them. The final battle was amazing that incorperated truelly amazing graphics that warmed my heart upon my eyes seeing them. Several Easter eggs can be found in the film such as the Wayne industries satelite they tore out of the atmosphere and Lex corp during the comet scene.

Henry Cavill played Superman superbly, giving real emotion to the usually emotionless Superman you see in the cartoons and comics. Michael Shannon played the role of a villian brilliantly really giving the impression of a mad man bent on trying to save a planet that had been destroyed years ago. These two pinnacle characters where played amazingly and properly portrayed their characters fully and as they should be in my eyes. Overall a brilliant film so i give this movie a 4.5

Post #: 410
Meh! - 1/7/2013 3:35:54 PM   
natman_begins

I went to see this yesterday and after a good opening 30 mins it seemed to just run out of ideas and substitute any kind of story with a lot of destruction and death. The only parts that I really enjoyed were those with Russell Crowe in, without him Man of Steel would have been lacking any character in which to invest my emotions.
The film felt the complete polar opposite to Bryan Singer's effort, which suffered from a lack of action, yet at least Superman Returns had heart and was in some way captivating the first time round.
There just didn't seem to be enough depth to it all in the end. I suppose given Snyder's track record I was expecting too much, but he has proved before with Watchmen (Director's Cut) that he is more than capable of producing a deep and detailed masterpiece in the super hero genre.

Post #: 411
RE: Meh! - 1/7/2013 3:50:04 PM   
Private Hudson

Michael Shannon was brilliant as Zod. Also liked the fact that Zod was artificially engineered and designed by Kryptonian society to be their protector, so even though he is ruthless and evil, he is a zealot but one with a purpose for the greater good. Morality doesn't even come into it for him.

I do think it is miles better than Superman Returns, which I just felt was a bit naff. I think possibly the casting let that film down. Brandon Routh is not a match for Henry Cavill and as I said earlier Kevin Spacey was a very lame Lex Luthor, whereas Michael Shannon's General Zod is superior to the hammy Terrance Stamp.

And with Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner not to mention Larry Fishbourne in the cast, I think it is that which helps Man of Steel get pass marks.

I know it isn't a perfect 5 star movie, but it is still pretty good entertainment and a decent reboot to get us back into Superman. I still think the 1978 movie is the best superhero film bar none, but look at how Spiderman has had the 2001 film - which was good - and then the recent reboot starring Andrew Garfield, which was also decent.

The comics have often had reboots or telling different origin stories, so really I am not too bothered if they try something a wee bit different as long as most of the key elements are in it.

Lois knowing Clark Kent IS Superman adds a new dynamic.

BTW Smallville the complete box set is available for £80 or so (10 seasons). I have never seen it. I may buy it for Xmas! Is it worth it? Is it good?

(in reply to natman_begins)
Post #: 412
RE: Meh! - 1/7/2013 4:27:37 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

BTW Smallville the complete box set is available for £80 or so (10 seasons). I have never seen it. I may buy it for Xmas! Is it worth it? Is it good?

Smallville has great moments and stories, it lost its way for many of the seasons but was always very faithful. The main theme of most of Smallville is the VAST amount of people infected in some way buy Kryptonite which landed the same day kal-El did! so can get a bit repetitive. It especially went a bit to shit for my when they introduced Zod!

The whole Father and Son is the best thing about Smallville, obviously it has lots of time to fully explore that relationship and its done brilliantly. Jor El is brilliantly voiced by non other than Terrence Stamp!! and is a much more hard arsed version of Jor-el than ever seen before. Jonathon Kent is played to perfection and Pa Kents funeral being a stand out episode/scene because you have invested so much into the character.
Although I love Lex in Smallville its Lionel Luther that really steels the bad-guy crown every time, pure brilliance!

I think its season 4 we get the first proper flight/take off and its excellent

If you love Superman you kind of have to give it a watch but in the end, after 10 years! I felt royally stiffed by the finale! Although (sorry, MoS bashing again) even Smallville did a better Father/Son suit hand over scene than MoS movie!!!.

I would check its not on Netflix or some form of instant streaming rather than buying it .

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 1/7/2013 4:34:43 PM >

Post #: 413
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 9:37:39 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

And here we go...

Well I thought that was a good run of the mill, summer action film...and that was it; I was half expecting Megan Fox to turn up half way through with her own brand of pouty, slow motion, zooming up her arsehole and bouncy boob running.

Their were some good points to it; I thought the visuals when we visited Maximus Decimus Meridius on Pandora at the start of the film were really good although when they started to merge the plot from Transformers Dark Side Of The Moon and The Matrix into one film I was filled apoplectic rage. BUT I was relieved straight afterwards as I love an episode of Deadliest Catch as much as the next topless guy. Although I have to be honest I was immiedetly concerned about the fate of Kal as he can, despite all his powers and strength, be knocked flying by a fat fisherman...

I thought the film was a good solid 3/5 personally.

Remember that bit in Superman when Clark has gone to the Fortress and we have had the montage of Marlon Brando talking about his history and past with that soaring music? Then we cut to a wide angle shot, in the distance we see Supe's in his suit, he takes off - that John William's soundtrack starts and even if you were one of the most cycnical bastards in the world (which I am) the hairs on the back of your neck just shot up on end? Their was none of that in this film. The whole film was just so flat; even when Kal-El (I can't call him Kal...it makes me shudder) dons the suit for the first time he just strolls into shot - I was left a little 'oh is that it?'.

Anyway; to summarise:

Good points:

- the action sequences were good; if a little over the top.
- the woefully underused Costner chewed up the scenery whenever he was in it.
- Larry brought his own brand of Bad Mother Fucker as Perry.
- Shannon was superb
- Antje Traue
- the sound track was superb.
- Henry Canvill's chin was very pronounced.

Bad points:

- I didn't give a rats arse about anyone in the film.

What I love about Superman is he is a hero not driven by anything other than he is a good man. He isn't Bruce Wayne, he isn't Wolverine, he isn't Peter Parker; he was never driven by rage, or justice or revenge. He is just good!! Snyder and Goyer have turned him into this angsty, moody, paranoid, aggresive, vandalising (the truck at the beginning?!) Dawson with super powers. It says a lot I think that my favourite part of the film was the little tribute to Christopher Reeve towards the end.

Hope the inevitable sequel is better...

Right; I'm off to take some more pain killers as the combination of the shaky camera angles, the epilepsy enducing editing and the 3D has left me feeling like Arnold Schwarzenneger when he gets sucked out onto the surface of Mars at the end of Total Recall.

Yes I know quoting myself in my own post is the equivalent of high-fiving myself but oh well; itís just how I role.

Just wanted to say I went to see this again last night...I didnít want too mind, I was dragged/blackmailed there on the promise of a carvery roast before the film and debauched sex of some kind when I got home BUT I friggin loved it this time!!

Completely changed my mind!! The difference between this time and the last? Several pints of Peroni and low expectations (which is ironic as thatís also the only reason the other half enjoys sex with me...).

Yes thatís quite a sad indictment of the film granted; yes the bit where he puts the suit on is disappointing, yes this Lois Lane is wetter than a single mum at a Robbie Williams concert (all she does is stutter slightly, look surprised and fall out of stuff) and their should have been more from Bull Durham in there but overall...I'm bumping it up a star to a good 4/5. Sorry Dannybohy!!

The moral too my post? If you want to enjoy Man Of Steel - walk in drunk and assuming its going to be shit and leave you completely unfulfilled.

Fyi; if you're interested at all I fell asleep the second I got home but the roast was nice!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 414
RE: Meh! - 3/7/2013 12:07:41 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Michael Shannon was brilliant as Zod. Also liked the fact that Zod was artificially engineered and designed by Kryptonian society to be their protector, so even though he is ruthless and evil, he is a zealot but one with a purpose for the greater good. Morality doesn't even come into it for him.

I do think it is miles better than Superman Returns, which I just felt was a bit naff. I think possibly the casting let that film down. Brandon Routh is not a match for Henry Cavill and as I said earlier Kevin Spacey was a very lame Lex Luthor, whereas Michael Shannon's General Zod is superior to the hammy Terrance Stamp.

And with Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner not to mention Larry Fishbourne in the cast, I think it is that which helps Man of Steel get pass marks.

I know it isn't a perfect 5 star movie, but it is still pretty good entertainment and a decent reboot to get us back into Superman. I still think the 1978 movie is the best superhero film bar none, but look at how Spiderman has had the 2001 film - which was good - and then the recent reboot starring Andrew Garfield, which was also decent.

The comics have often had reboots or telling different origin stories, so really I am not too bothered if they try something a wee bit different as long as most of the key elements are in it.

Dont bother.I watched about 12 episodes of the first season before i gave up.

Its just Dawsons Creek with superpowers.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 415
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 12:27:03 PM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

Man of Steel has actually made me appreciate Superman Returns. never thought I would see the day but I dusted off the SR DVD and put it on again this weekend!. A rather enjoyable way to spend a a couple of hours after a long Sunday walk and my kids gave it the thumbs up over MoS! guess which scene they loved the most?....
For all their faults I put SR and MoS at the same level if I'm honest, both in firm category of `nice try` but i want another reboot ! :)

Wouldn't you rather see a sequel to MOS that deals with all the critisism's it has been getting?

Like I said earlier in this thread (or the one that's still live in future films) both Snyder and Goyer have said that this whole film is one big learning curve for Superman and that they will address them in the sequel(s)! Yes Jor-El and Pa Kent set up his moral code to some extent, but in the end it's down to Superman himself to work out the kinks! That means developing his own rule of not killing anyone because he has traumatised himself somewhat by killing off the last survivor of Krypton (other than himself obviously). It means he has to learn himself to do more to take fights as far away from civvies as possible, because of all the destruction his first one brought to Smallville and Metropolis! That's a key point for me - this is his FIRST mega battle, so of course is gonna be a bit,....er,....slap-dash - for lack of a better phrase). In his next smackdown, maybe there will only be a few hundred casualties rather than a few thousand!

I dont think it was totally without flaws. I did think the action was a tad OTT and yeah, the number of human casualties that wasn't even addressed did sit a bit funny with me, but in the main part I thought it was great fun - which is what I want from a summer blockbuster, and a Superman film. Fun, loads of crash, bang, wallop and a bit of heart thrown in for good measure, and it was all there as far as I'm concerned!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 416
RE: Meh! - 3/7/2013 12:30:59 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

Dont bother.I watched about 12 episodes of the first season before i gave up.

Its just Dawsons Creek with superpowers.

I felt Smallville was mostly all filler, no killer: of the ten years, I reckon there were probably five years' worth of watchable TV at most. I gave up about four or five episodes into the final season - it was not worth the year long wait e4 forced upon us (although I'm glad I didn't waste time downloading it months earlier). I've seen a bit more of that season every now and then since and no...just no. Invisible spoiler for example:

Lionel needs to remove Tess' heart so Lex's clone can take it...that's a clone which was created right down to the brain - and memories - of Lex and they couldn't clone his fucking heart?? Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it...

They always squandered their end of season cliffhangers too. Especially the opener for season 10 (I think) after the Zod cliffhanger. They tease us with a "how will they get out of this?" scenario and resolve it with some bullshit 2 minute scene that defies the show's own logic so they never have to reference what happened again.

And for some reason it stills grates that the writers couldn't grasp time travel for a time travel episode once: if a character travels back in time to a situation they already experienced, there should now be two versions of that character up until the point of the time travel. They didn't quantum leap into themselves!

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

Post #: 417
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 1:05:23 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

quote:

quote:

Wouldn't you rather see a sequel to MOS that deals with all the critisism's it has been getting?

Like I said earlier in this thread (or the one that's still live in future films) both Snyder and Goyer have said that this whole film is one big learning curve for Superman and that they will address them in the sequel(s)! Yes Jor-El and Pa Kent set up his moral code to some extent, but in the end it's down to Superman himself to work out the kinks! That means developing his own rule of not killing anyone because he has traumatised himself somewhat by killing off the last survivor of Krypton (other than himself obviously). It means he has to learn himself to do more to take fights as far away from civvies as possible, because of all the destruction his first one brought to Smallville and Metropolis! That's a key point for me - this is his FIRST mega battle, so of course is gonna be a bit,....er,....slap-dash - for lack of a better phrase). In his next smackdown, maybe there will only be a few hundred casualties rather than a few thousand!

I dont think it was totally without flaws. I did think the action was a tad OTT and yeah, the number of human casualties that wasn't even addressed did sit a bit funny with me, but in the main part I thought it was great fun - which is what I want from a summer blockbuster, and a Superman film. Fun, loads of crash, bang, wallop and a bit of heart thrown in for good measure, and it was all there as far as I'm concerned!

For me personally I don't see how a sequel will fix the worst flaws of MoS (the origins/flashbacks) and hence the rest of the franchise. Yes, they might make a much better movie second time around, as much as I piss and whinge its only because I was so looking forward to this movie and felt completely gutted by it. It wont be the first time I have preferred a sequel to the first movie! I much preferred TDK to BB. But damn, they need to develop characters quick smart and get better CGi artists in!.

I am surprised by the rest of your comments as I thought the movie was mostly totally joyless,not remotely fun and very little heart. It appears to be a mistake with so many big budget movies these days that movies makers don't bother or fail miserably to make us empathize or like main characters enough to care what happens to them, so the rest of the movie doesn't work( Jesus, even Michael Bay can manage that ffs!).
The only characters I thought remotely engaging in MoS where Pa Kent, Perry and Pete Ross funnily enough, all of which either woefully underused or of course given 'Stupid deaths' :(

I know have the image of Horrible Histories Stupid Deaths sketch with Jonathon Kent
"Well, there was this killer tornado, and I went back to save a dog .... !"
"so it was completely avoidable because of your superhuman son you say!"
" oh yeh but I had to teach him a lesson and it kind of backfired"
"hoo hooo hhaa hhhaa, gone on then, in you go"

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 418
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 1:11:27 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For me personally I don't see how a sequel will fix the worst flaws of MoS (the origins/flashbacks) and hence the rest of the franchise. Yes, they might make a much better movie second time around, as much as I piss and whinge its only because I was so looking forward to this movie and felt completely gutted by it. It wont be the first time I have preferred a sequel to the first movie! I much preferred TDK to BB. But damn, they need to develop characters quick smart and get better CGi artists in!.

I am surprised by the rest of your comments as I thought the movie was mostly totally joyless,not remotely fun and very little heart. It appears to be a mistake with so many big budget movies these days that movies makers don't bother or fail miserably to make us empathize or like main characters enough to care what happens to them, so the rest of the movie doesn't work( Jesus, even Michael Bay can manage that ffs!).
The only characters I thought remotely engaging in MoS where Pa Kent, Perry and Pete Ross funnily enough, all of which either woefully underused or of course given 'Stupid deaths' :(

I know have the image of Horrible Histories Stupid Deaths sketch with Jonathon Kent

You know people can become quite attached to their K9 companions, afterall a dog is a mans best friend

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 419
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 1:25:55 PM   
Artoo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can certainly relate to that feeling. That was how I felt about Prometheus. Then again - didn't everybody!

Did you really find Perry White engaging? Do you mean the scene where he's running from the falling skyscraper - because it was actually his moobs rather than the man himself that was engaging so I'm not sure that counts!!

I wont bang on about it though. I liked it (same as alot of people) you didn't (same as alot of people) it's as simple as that! I do sympathise with the likes of yourself and Pete etc, I would be absolutely gutted if I had been waiting as long as we all have for this only to be dissapointed. Sucks to be you!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The film we deserve... just not the one we were expecting! (SPOILERS) Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI