Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Man of Steel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Man of Steel Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Man of Steel - 4/6/2013 1:23:33 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/6/2013 11:50:45 AM >
Post #: 1
★★★★★ - 4/6/2013 1:23:33 PM   
ADarkKnight

Best film of the year. Many will attribute the excellence of this film to Christopher Nolan as his name is attached, but Zack Synder is director and his style can be seen throughout the film. David S. Goyer Co wrote the story with Nolan but he is to thank for the screenplay. So before everyone heaps the praise soly on Christopher Nolan just remember those facts.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: ★★★★★ - 11/6/2013 4:40:20 AM   
joshsym

I know people are saying they hope Snyder gets some credit for the movie too. I think this is a fantastic combo and i cant wait to see future sequels and more characters from the dcu

(in reply to ADarkKnight)
Post #: 3
- 11/6/2013 4:44:06 AM   
hellsfoxes

Jeeeeese Empire. 3/4's of the review dedicated to confirm that yes, yes it's true, it is confirmed, this film is not a comedy. Yes really. Not a comedy. No jokes. Really. Seriously. After comedy? Not here. Nope. Noooo sir. Oh also it rocks. The end.

Post #: 4
4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 6:03:58 AM   
Gillhead

From the magazine which gave Superman Returns 5 stars, that is all. I'll reserve judgement on the movie until I've watched it, but what the hell, have another star Mr Synder!

Post #: 5
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 8:53:52 AM   
jrewing1000

Superman Returns WAS a 5 star rated film. It is a beautiful, emotional story. (I accept criticisms for lack of a big closing set piece, but I didn't mind how the film closed, because I cared so much for the characters).

I'm looking forward to seeing Man of Steel, but from what I read, it doesn't sound like I'll find it emotional. And I'm sure I'll have Christopher 'Mr Serious' Nolan to thank for that.

(in reply to Gillhead)
Post #: 6
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 9:19:20 AM   
dseys

I was about to say the exact same thing.

4 stars is good... BUT... it means Man of Steel is worse than Superman Returns. And that's a pretty harsh thing to say!

(in reply to Gillhead)
Post #: 7
RE: - 11/6/2013 9:28:00 AM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellsfoxes

Jeeeeese Empire. 3/4's of the review dedicated to confirm that yes, yes it's true, it is confirmed, this film is not a comedy. Yes really. Not a comedy. No jokes. Really. Seriously. After comedy? Not here. Nope. Noooo sir. Oh also it rocks. The end.

Dont forget - it absotively posilutely is NOT, I repeat NOT a comedy!! It's not funny at all, but there's loads of action, amazing special effects and no comedy whatsoever!

< Message edited by Artoo -- 11/6/2013 9:29:28 AM >

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to hellsfoxes)
Post #: 8
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 9:44:03 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: dseys

4 stars is good... BUT... it means Man of Steel is worse than Superman Returns. And that's a pretty harsh thing to say!

Only in one person's fucking opinion. I am sure there are many at Empire who were not fans of Superman Returns!!

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 9
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 9:49:26 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Only in one person's fucking opinion. I am sure there are many at Empire who were not fans of Superman Returns!!

Isn't this the official Empire verdict though - it's not just advertised as one person's opinion?

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 10
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 10:04:25 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

quote:

Isn't this the official Empire verdict though - it's not just advertised as one person's opinion?

But it is one person's opinion, the person whose name is at the bottom of the review. Neither is it advertised as a collective opinion. I really don't understand why people are getting their silly knickers in a twist about it. Just approach it as an individual opinion. That's all it fucking is. What difference does it make anyway?

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 11/6/2013 10:08:13 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 11
Superman: The Movie and its sequels had bags of charm and - 11/6/2013 10:16:20 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

moments that have yet to be bettered by any comic-book movie. After all the trailers for Man of Steel, my expectations were super high. This four star review has lowered them to slightly more realistic levels. We are all chasing the dragon of our first experience in the cinema. Mine was a Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back double bill (the 1982 re-release prior to ROTJ), a tough act to follow.

Post #: 12
RE: Superman: The Movie and its sequels had bags of cha... - 11/6/2013 10:21:55 AM   
pete_traynor

Iím surprised no one has kicked off about the RT rating yet.

A measly 82%....... Thatís a colossal 18% from perfect! In this day and age of 5 stars or nothing this is a bloody outrage and I for one am utterly disgusted! Iíll be getting a refund for those pre booked IMAX tickets within the hour!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 13
But what about the music? - 11/6/2013 11:30:53 AM   
Big Bad Bob

John Williams' Superman theme is about as iconic as it gets. Doesn't Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel soundtrack merit a mention? Bombastic? Thrilling? Forgettable? It'd be nice to know the reviewer's thoughts...

Post #: 14
Inconsistency - 11/6/2013 11:33:31 AM   
Bennett30

The problem I have with Empire is simple. Unlike ain't it cool news the reviewer isn't speaking solely for themselves and we are unaware of that persons taste and views. This means we view their opinion as that of the whole magazine. Unlike IGN a 5 star review system isn't as specific as 10 system which includes decimal points for pin point review accuracy. This leaves us with broad reviews that mean very little. Am I to believe Superman Returns was as good as The Dark Knight and better than Begins? This written review has also got a hard on for the fact that the film isn't funny. Is that why you took away a star? There's not one mention of a single real flaw other than realistic gritty non comedic tone. Also I haven't seen the film mr reviewer but I can answer a question you're confused about. Maybe Clarks powers and his reaction to the sun are different because he's naturally born!? Rediculous...

Post #: 15
"It aches for more depth and warmth and humour&quo... - 11/6/2013 11:34:36 AM   
Judge

A pretty applicable quote to summarise Zack Snyder's career.

Post #: 16
RE: Inconsistency - 11/6/2013 11:40:34 AM   
JonathanMardukas

On the whole lack of humour argument, I have noticed in more than one review this is being mentioned. It seems almost every reviewer is making it out to be a problem rather than just commenting on its absence. I was under the impression that the majority of people have been crying out for an ultra-serious take on Superman for decades. I can't imagine many are sitting in their seats waiting for laughs, so why is such attention been drawn to the it? It seems that Snyder/Nolan have gone out of their way to ensure that this is take is different (in tone, not story) to the Reeve/Donner films so it would make sense that this aspect which ran thru his films would also be intentionally avoided.

< Message edited by JonathanMardukas -- 11/6/2013 11:41:29 AM >

G: Hey, guy. They tell me you're the actor who plays Marta's brother, Tio.
Spanish actor: Como?
G: Oh, you're gonna be in a coma, all right.

(in reply to Bennett30)
Post #: 17
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 12:32:00 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gillhead

From the magazine which gave Superman Returns 5 stars, that is all. I'll reserve judgement on the movie until I've watched it, but what the hell, have another star Mr Synder!

There really is one in every village isn't there...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Gillhead)
Post #: 18
RE: 4 stars Empire, shock horror! - 11/6/2013 1:09:25 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Nonetheless it's an opinion on the behalf of Empire so naturally some people will question certain reviews. Particulrly when the general consensus seems to indicate a different opinion.

The only person getting their Wonder Woman undies in a twist is you lol.

The review meandered a bit too much on The Dark Knight trilogy and I think it's pretty clear why this Superman is more 'stiff' (serious morelike) because they want the character to be taken seriously and any frivilous use of comedy or humour might jar with what they're doing. That's not to say they won't include some humour next time where the characters are better established and audiences are clued in to the story arc.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 19
Finally - 11/6/2013 1:11:32 PM   
ronniem

Superman finally gets a balls to the wall treatment on the big screen for the modern age..can't wait. Thanks to Nolan, Goyer and Snyder for kickstarting what's going to be a venerable series for DC and Warner! Oh and the reviewer going on and on about not enough humour...do me a favour...you can go rewatch the utterly mediocre Ironman 3 again to quench your thirst for gags. Superman is serious business.

Post #: 20
Humour in Dark Knight Trilogy - 11/6/2013 1:27:00 PM   
bradcam72

I know its probably a tad off the topic but I thought there was plenty of humour across the DK trilogy in different guises; Freeman, Caine, Bale, Ledger, Hathaway and even Tom Hardy "what a lovely, lovely voice".

Post #: 21
Words from a Nolan fanboy - 11/6/2013 1:44:11 PM   
Garth_Marenghi

You gave a Nolan movie less than five stars?! Waaah!!! Waaah!!! I hate you Dan Jolin!!! You know nothing!!! I'm going to send death threats and flaming bags of dog turds to your family home!!! I'm going to bring up a review to another Superman film written by a completely different critic to insist that you give Man Of Steel SIX stars to show it is the bestest fing evah!!! Because we all know that four out of five means you're saying the film is terrible!!! Nolan is our new messiah!!! I'm naming my first-born Chris-Jonah Bruce, as soon as I get a female person to look at me without disgust, that is!!! I like exclamation points!!! Waaah!!!

Post #: 22
" - 11/6/2013 1:44:14 PM   
Garth_Marenghi

duplicate post - please delete.

< Message edited by Garth_Marenghi -- 11/6/2013 1:45:38 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: " - 11/6/2013 1:57:20 PM   
pete_traynor

71% on RT nowÖ I was hardly expecting Citizen Kane but I didnít expect it to dip much below the low 80ís

Ö filter it to ĎTop Criticsí and itís at 44%... oof. Didnít expect that at all.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Garth_Marenghi)
Post #: 24
- 11/6/2013 1:57:45 PM   
vinnyjones

So if the only fault they can find is that its to serious then its a five star film because id much prefer that. I don't want to watch a comedy!

Post #: 25
RE: Words from a Nolan fanboy - 11/6/2013 1:58:27 PM   
spideed2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garth_Marenghi

You gave a Nolan movie less than five stars?! Waaah!!! Waaah!!! I hate you Dan Jolin!!! You know nothing!!! I'm going to send death threats and flaming bags of dog turds to your family home!!! I'm going to bring up a review to another Superman film written by a completely different critic to insist that you give Man Of Steel SIX stars to show it is the bestest fing evah!!! Because we all know that four out of five means you're saying the film is terrible!!! Nolan is our new messiah!!! I'm naming my first-born Chris-Jonah Bruce, as soon as I get a female person to look at me without disgust, that is!!! I like exclamation points!!! Waaah!!!

Thanks for the wonderful input....be quick you may miss your bus to Troll-ville.

Post #: 26
RE: " - 11/6/2013 1:58:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

One page? Come on people.

You can do better than that. I believe you are capable of great things. You only need a four star review to show you the way.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 27
only 4 stars ! - 11/6/2013 2:13:03 PM   
rtb2k6

Great review.going frid to see Man Of Steel so i will reserve judgment till then.cannot believe this wont blow my socks off lol

Post #: 28
RE: only 4 stars ! - 11/6/2013 2:29:43 PM   
Artoo

So Superman fans finally get what they (see we) have been praying for and moaning about for friggin ever, a balls-out semi-serious big budget action flick yet seemingly all the reviewers want to do is moan about the lack of custard pies being flung at eachother! WTF!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to rtb2k6)
Post #: 29
RE: only 4 stars ! - 11/6/2013 2:56:31 PM   
Woger

That's a great review of page not found.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Man of Steel Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI