Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Behind The Candelabra - 3/6/2013 9:47:04 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/6/2013 9:47:04 PM   
SBandy

America really is backwards. Or maybe thats unfair and it's the Film Studio that is.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Behind The Candelabra - 7/6/2013 10:50:45 PM   
R W

It bad been announced for a number of years that Michael Douglas would star as top pianist Liberace in a biopic based on his ex-lover Scott Thorson’s memoir Behind the Candelabra: My Life With Liberace. Eventually the biopic was funded by HBO and finally made its way into televisions in the United States. With its success and star-power (including director Steven Soderbergh), Behind the Candelabra is now a cinema release.

In the last 1970s, the young Scott Thorson (Matt Damon) met Liberace following one of his Las Vegas acts. Together, the two have a romantic affair that is kept secret from the public. However, as their relationship progresses, Liberace’s distinctive lifestyle becomes a problem for Scott.

While most made-for-TV biopics rarely work such as the recent Liz & Dick with Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor, Soderbergh and screenwriter Richard LaGravenese have put a lot of thought into factual gay love story. One of the strengths of the film is its humour, depicting Liberace’s flamboyant lifestyle, from his overly fashionable clothing to his overuse of cosmetics to stay young (the latter involving Rob Lowe in a very supporting scene-stealing performance as the squint-looking Dr Jack Startz).

As the story approaches its later dramatic moments as the relationship begins to crumble, the cliché of drug addiction kick in, given its factual origins. However, it is the strong performances from the two leads that hold the film together. Nearly three years following his reprised role as Gordon Gekko, Michael Douglas is note-perfect as Liberace as he captures his flamboyant personality and treats his life like one of his shows, whilst trying to hide his true sexuality. Matt Doman, on the other hand, has a greater challenge as he has subtly counteract with Douglas’ very showy performance, of which he succeeds while the various transformations he goes through are surprising.

Stylish if a bit televisual, given Steven Soderbergh’s involvement and yet it is a very entertaining examination of celebrity loneliness, led by great performances by Michael Douglas and Matt Damon.

Post #: 3
RE: Behind The Candelabra - 13/6/2013 9:38:36 AM   
The Watcher

I thought it was a remarkable film, and amongst all the superhero fodder out there, probably the most intelligent and entertaining movie of the year.

I'm also appalled to read that American distributors have snubbed this. Shame on them, and pity their stupidity.

Post #: 4
RE: - 15/6/2013 6:25:40 PM   
GCH

There appeared to be a cross- section of society at the screening we went to, so either people in the UK are more open- minded than our American cousins- a distinct possibility- or studio execs are frightened of the swivel- eyed loons in the US media. One supposes they know their market.
The film was really much better than I thought it would be, and is obviously dominated by brilliant performances by Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. Who said Michael Douglas could only play one note? Well, actually it was me. What a dope! I am old enough to remember Liberace and I thought the portrayal was inch- perfect, especially the rictus grin whilst performing.
Top- notch stuff.

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

(in reply to SBandy)
Post #: 5
All that glitters... - 16/6/2013 6:25:58 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

I wanted to love Behind The Candelabra, but ended up only being able to like it. It never becomes more than the sum of its parts, and the potential is there for a much greater film. I suspect that with a different director, it could have been far more emotionally engaging.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 6
RE: All that glitters... - 21/7/2013 12:29:35 PM   
galvatron

A good, enjoyable and funny at times film. Can't believe not more people have commented on this thread. Some excellent performances by the leads.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 7
Homophobia is alive and well - 15/6/2014 11:33:16 PM   
Peregrine Took

As one other commenter has stated, a rather cold film, which could have had far more of an emotional punch, particularly given that the two central performances were so totally convincing.
Not surprised that it didn't receive a cinema release in America, with its rampant homophobia. No doubt the same reason why it went straight to DVD release here in New Zealand.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Behind The Candelabra Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI