Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

How Long Is The Runway In Fast & Furious 6?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> How Long Is The Runway In Fast & Furious 6? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Long Is The Runway In Fast & Furious 6? - 3/6/2013 4:41:33 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/6/2013 4:41:33 PM   
Kalielyn

I had the exact same thought while watching the film, rediculously long runway for the seen. 27 miles? That's london to gatwick!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 3/6/2013 5:54:31 PM   
joe (mavrick) horton

this has explained why i have no dicier to watch any fast and furious films

Post #: 3
- 4/6/2013 1:52:22 AM   
lona_no_friends

When i watched the flim I thogut it was realy long

Post #: 4
How the plane was crashed - 4/6/2013 8:13:57 AM   
beforesandafters

Here's a making of video on the visual effects for the Antonov crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOAfLtxjDww

Post #: 5
Somehow this did not bother me... - 4/6/2013 8:53:39 AM   
kielerkai

...whereas the hyperactive Bourne-camera and editing style was a real pain-in-the-butt.

Post #: 6
Brilliant feature! - 4/6/2013 9:37:59 AM   
guysalisbury

This is just what I needed on Tuesday morning. Some mindless film fact. Love it Empire! More like this please :-)

Post #: 7
Imitation Is The Sincerest Form Of Flattery - 4/6/2013 11:07:54 AM   
GazzHowie

Vulture were way ahead of you on this one. By about a week. And it's been widely retweeted and linked to as well. So... all credit to them.

Yours is easier on the eye, admittedly. But when it comes taking the word of Captain Robert Travis (President of the Independent Pilots Association) or Helen O'Hara (movie critic), I'm going with Travis sorry.

So... It's 28.829 miles. Not 27.86 miles.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/how-long-was-the-runway-in-fast-and-furious-6.html

Post #: 8
RE: How Long Is The Runway In Fast & Furious 6? - 4/6/2013 12:47:19 PM   
Helen OHara

Hi Gazz,

We were already working on this with our aerotech expert (he's credited in the article; I didn't do the calculations) when Vulture's went up, and we still think our figures have merit. You are of course free to accept whichever interpretation you prefer.

< Message edited by Helen OHara -- 4/6/2013 12:48:56 PM >

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to GazzHowie)
Post #: 9
A Glorious History Of Extended Runways - 4/6/2013 1:08:16 PM   
Manfrendshensindshen

I seem to remember the runway of what was supposed to by Rammstein Air Base in Wolfgang Petersen's "classic" Air Force One was also unusually long, too.
Landing a 747, letting the pilot fight with some dastardly Russkie and than taking off again - that takes more than an ordinary runway. That takes a very special one indeed!

Maybe the FF crew used the very same secret 30 mile stretch as a location? Maybe it was all a dream?

Post #: 10
That's hilarious - 4/6/2013 2:53:10 PM   
Ross Edwards

27.86 miles, indeed :-) I was so ingrossed in the action watching that movie, I never thought about how long they'd been travelling along the runway. That's a good thing, right?

Post #: 11
Gazz and Helen: Both can be Right - 9/6/2013 1:40:11 AM   
Wolverine063

To refer to both Gazz and Helen's posts about Empire vs. Vulture on the correct answer, both could essentially be right, depending on exactly which question you are asking. Empire's answer was for "Approximate Total Distance TRAVELLED During the Scene", which they got to be 27.86 miles. Vulture calculated in the approximate remainder of runway left after the plane stopped travelling, to calculate the length of the RUNWAY, which gave them an answer of 28.829 miles.

If you wanted to argue, however, Vulture estimated the remaining runway to be about 0.086 miles, so the answers are still out at a difference of 0.883 miles.

One differing factor is the timeline; Empire said the plane stopped at 12 minutes 35 seconds, while Vulture said they stopped after 13 minutes 3 seconds.

All in all though, both answers will only give us an approximate distance (as factors have to be assumed in much of the calculations). If you wanted to be happy, one could average the answers out (Empire's answer would have to have the additional runway length

Post #: 12
RE: Gazz and Helen: Both can be Right - 9/6/2013 1:42:13 AM   
Wolverine063

The average would then be 28.3875 miles.

(in reply to Wolverine063)
Post #: 13
Perspectives - 9/6/2013 1:50:10 AM   
Wolverine063

One other thing we could consider though: The whole scene was shown through many different perspectives (about 5 or so). These perspectives, though they can't be shown all at once, could have been happening all at once. In that sense, one could argue that the runway is possible, as that would make the length probably around 6 or so miles.

Post #: 14
Die Hard 2? - 9/6/2013 1:50:49 PM   
Temoor

Excellent piece, I'm curious now... Does the final sequence in Die Hard 2 with the jacket being stuck in the ailerons, to the fight on the wing, to MacLane eventually being kicked off, and managing to light the fuel trail he created by popping the lid for the fuel tank bend the laws of reality? Sounds like it, no? Empire, can we have a regular feature of impossible action moves?

Post #: 15
*Rolls Eyes* - 13/6/2013 12:36:16 PM   
takeone71

So... the runway scene is inaccurate with being at all possible. Does everyone think the rest of the film is belivable ? What about racing though London with the roads being so clear? And how quick they were getting to different parts of London within the same chase? And Vin flying through the air to grab his Mrs as she zips through the air, both from speeding vehicles, both on bridges and both landing without a scratch? And what about... ah sod it, the list is endless. Great action flick though and put A Good Day To Die Hard in the shade...

Post #: 16
BBC copycats - 25/6/2013 12:49:32 PM   
KubrickSmith

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23005848 but they came to a different answer...

Post #: 17
Does this count the time inside the aircraft? - 19/7/2013 5:13:27 PM   
javon27

I know that it can be pretty easy to think that all the action took place in the same linear time frame, but couldn't it also be possible that some of the cuts that took place inside the airplane actually took place simultaneous to the action outside?

I don't believe for a second that this would make the scene more realistic, but should at least cut down some of the time here...

Also, can we really believe that these cars were able to maintain 165 mph? Some of the tuned cars maybe, but the military vehicles? If anything, this would just make the whole scene even more ridiculous, lol.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> How Long Is The Runway In Fast & Furious 6? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI