Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Franchise tendency = Predictable plot points

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Franchise tendency = Predictable plot points Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Franchise tendency = Predictable plot points - 31/1/2014 2:33:59 PM   
Nicky C

If Brad Pitt wasn't in this it wouldn't have done so well because for every original moment there are two or three that have been done before. Not to say that this movie doesn't do some of them better, it does in places, but It's like a greatest hits of Zombie movies at times. However, when WWZ is original it's really effective and will knot you up in tension the way you hoped it would. The low-key to high-concept opening is spectacular, the plane sequence is fist-chewingly tense, the Jerusalem sequence builds and builds and builds ... all great stuff. The ending loses it though, despite whatever it might have originally been. There was a certain point where the tension dropped because the outcome was predetermined ... not by the plot but by the fact that it stars Brad Pitt and is intended to be a franchise. If Hollywood refuses to cure its own rampant infection (sequel-itis) they need to start thinking up new satisfying ways to end a film where the audience knows going in that the lead character will NOT solve the problem. Curing the infected kills the sequel as does killing Brad, so what are you going to do get my attention? The lack of surprises is a genuine concern for the audience if the ending of a movie is controlled by the promise of future box-office returns.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
Erm... - 29/3/2014 11:42:24 AM   
BennyBoo81

What's with zombies these days? Aren't zombies supposed to be brain dead? If so how come they now run and, perhaps the worst part of the entire film, they have the ability to climb walls. Certainly no match for Romero's class, but then I don't think this was supposed to be taken that seriously anyway...was it? All started pretty darn quickly, a little too quickly, for my liking. And what's with the indestructible Brad Pitt? The only thing that actually saved this for me was the surprising appearance of Peter Capaldi.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Franchise tendency = Predictable plot points Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI