Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who - 3/6/2013 12:13:43 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Whishaw - 3/6/2013 12:13:43 AM   
EvilDoctorPorkChop

As much as I think Jason Isaacs would be great, he would probably be a better fit as the master. As would Damian Lewis. Why can't we have Tom Hardy as the doctor? Would be freaking epic huge fan of his. Ben Whishaw aka Q from skyfall would fit the part of the doctor. He's young, smart and of course women will fancy him. But please Moffatt if you screw this up by hiring a woman, never come near a tv show ever again.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Dr Who??? - 3/6/2013 3:31:12 AM   
darthmhall101

You cant go already famous for the Doctor, I honestly think that to keep the story telling interesting its time for a female time lord.

Post #: 3
Goodbye Matt! - 3/6/2013 7:53:47 AM   
Mulholland Empire

Sad to see Matt go, he has been brilliant in the role of the Doctor. Having met him a couple of times I can also say he is a very nice chap and I wish him well in his future roles. Watched him in the BBC dramas Christopher & His Kind and Bert & Dickie which showed how versatile he is. Am sure he will have loads of starring roles in the years ahead.

Post #: 4
RE: Goodbye Matt! - 3/6/2013 9:00:27 AM   
Dannybohy

Definitely time for a female time lord!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Mulholland Empire)
Post #: 5
RE: Goodbye Matt! - 3/6/2013 9:05:39 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Oh good god I hope not!!

Personally I've got my fingers crossed for Sean Pertwee...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 6
RE: Goodbye Matt! - 3/6/2013 9:07:25 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

Oh good god I hope not!!

Why not?.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 7
If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:24:43 AM   
Nicky C

Simple as that. It's 2013 for f*ck's sake, let's at least attempt to live up to the values of equality that we preach, eh?

Post #: 8
RE: Goodbye Matt! - 3/6/2013 9:26:26 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

Oh good god I hope not!!

Why not?.

I just don't think it would work personally and it actually wouldn't make any sense in terms of the story line and the history of the character.

Why would you want a female Doctor?

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 9
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:30:38 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicky C

Simple as that. It's 2013 for f*ck's sake, let's at least attempt to live up to the values of equality that we preach, eh?

Its nothing to do with equality at all!! I really hope the Suffragettes movement has fallen down to the simple basic premise that the next Doctor Who should be a women over a man simply because of equal rights. In that case I am assuming that you hope the next James Bond is a female 007 as well?

It just makes no sense in the history of the character and, personally, I just dont think it'll work.

If you want to talk about equality in the character then lets have a black actor play the role (I noticed Idris Elba has been made a favourite and that would be superb!).

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 10
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:36:14 AM   
MonsterCat

Not wanting to gang up on you here, but why wouldn't it work? Just saying it wouldn't work isn't much of a defence.

Also, I'm not a Dr Who watcher, so I'm genuinely interested why you can't have a chick doctor.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 11
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:42:56 AM   
elab49

Becquse there is nothing I'm aware of that says an individual Timelord can change gender. It's a bit like demanding the next James Bond should be female - it'd be stunt casting of the worst sort.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 12
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:44:11 AM   
elab49

And there are female timelords BTW.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:44:17 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Not wanting to gang up on you here, but why wouldn't it work? Just saying it wouldn't work isn't much of a defence.

Also, I'm not a Dr Who watcher, so I'm genuinely interested why you can't have a chick doctor.

Its made clear in a very old episode of Doctor Who (although cant remember the name of the episode) that Time Lord's can't cross gender regenerate. If the writers want to change that cannon then fine but personally I just can't see how it would work. Are we going to have an excrusiatingly akward scene between the Doctor and River Song about how they are married but both the same sex now?!

Hey if they go down that route then who am I to argue and if its cast well and well written then I will be on well on board.

But I would like it done for the story not for the sake of equality...

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 14
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:50:40 AM   
Dannybohy

So they can just change the story to concentrate on one of these female time lords then?. simple?

Post #: 15
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 9:54:53 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It'd be stunt casting of the worst sort.

That sentence there is a newsreader's nightmare.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 10:09:46 AM   
elab49

quote:

So they can just change the story to concentrate on one of these female time lords then?. simple?

Of an eponymously titled show? Also misses the point a bit of River Song. And SJA. But I'm thinking you maybe don't watch the show?

quote:

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 17
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 10:11:45 AM   
Wild about Wilder

It has to be someone not too famous who'll piss off! at the drop of a hat!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 18
- 3/6/2013 10:26:42 AM   
absolute_im_fan

I'd like to see Kris Marshall as The Doctor. He's done nuts in My Family and serious in Murder City.

Post #: 19
RE: - 3/6/2013 10:47:46 AM   
UTB

Apparently Jo Joyner is leaving Eastenders as well.

(in reply to absolute_im_fan)
Post #: 20
RE: Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who - 3/6/2013 10:48:26 AM   
keatsmeister

quote:

Becquse there is nothing I'm aware of that says an individual Timelord can change gender. It's a bit like demanding the next James Bond should be female - it'd be stunt casting of the worst sort.

It was covered in the Neil Gaiman episode in series 6, where the Doctor tells Rory and Amy about his friend, the Corsair

quote:

There aren't! No Time Lords left anywhere in the Universe. But the Universe isn't where we're going. {he tosses it to Amy} See that snake. The mark of The Corsair. Fantastic bloke. He had that snake as a tattoo in every regeneration. Didn't feel like himself unless he had that tattoo. Or herself a couple of times. Oo hoo! She was a bad girl!

Post #: 21
RE: If it's not a female I'm not watching. - 3/6/2013 11:49:54 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Of an eponymously titled show? Also misses the point a bit of River Song. And SJA. But I'm thinking you maybe don't watch the show?

You got me! I've never watched a single full episode! at least not since the early 80's!. I think its the last remnants of naf on british TV and given the production value of US shows I just don't get its popularity! Is it because its a bit pap?. I still think a female Doctor would be good for fans!!.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 3/6/2013 11:52:29 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
Matt Smith Will be missed - 3/6/2013 12:48:18 PM   
rip tyde

Such a shame Matt is leaving what a fantastic Job he's done over the past 4 years, he is a very talented actor. check out our tribute to Matt here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvd4uNqswvQ

Post #: 23
- 3/6/2013 1:10:04 PM   
thepluginbaby

Michael Smiley!? That would be awesome. "So are you twos coming time travelling or what?"

Post #: 24
Who's the next Who? - 3/6/2013 1:24:52 PM   
kevmccann

My vote would be for Tom Ward (him of Silent Witness fame), he has a bit of 'Who' mystery about him. Thing is, the BBC will want to go for someone with some longevity as the Timelords are only mean't to have 13 lives, so I guess that would rule out the likes of Jason Isaacs etc - unless they come up with some time-y whime-y, wibbly, wobbly bobbins to explain this away!

Post #: 25
Weird individual - 3/6/2013 1:37:06 PM   
blennon

Is it just me or does this current Dr. Who look like John Merrick?

Post #: 26
- 3/6/2013 2:48:57 PM   
ericcoyle

Matthew Baynton for time lord. My daughter suggested this at the dinner table yesterday and she is so on the money. If you don't know who he is then switch on Horrible Histories or have a listen to Special Benny. He's the tall thin guy who does Charles the 2nd.

Post #: 27
- 3/6/2013 4:39:34 PM   
Kalielyn

Given they always go for relative unknowns, which has worked for tennant and smith it's a shame that another name won't be mentioned (or certinaly hasn't been so far). Benedict Cumberbatch anyone? Ace as Shelock and would suit the role to a tee, however I feel that it would play to simillar to his sherlock and wouldn't be as great.

Post #: 28
Time for a REAL change. - 3/6/2013 6:27:01 PM   
jem0013

EDDIE MARSAN! He would be perfect, while I've loved Matt Smith and Tennant wasn't too bad - just a bit too OTT at times - I think somebody a bit more straight-laced would be a good change.

Post #: 29
RE: Time for a REAL change. - 4/6/2013 3:45:11 PM   
Nicky C

Swapping a white guy for yet another white guy after decades of white guys is not a change at all, real or otherwise. NAOMIE HARRIS is who you want! That's what I call a change!

(in reply to jem0013)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI