Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face" if you havent seen STID

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face" if you havent seen STID Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face" i... - 29/5/2013 12:34:15 PM   
The Bantam Menace

I'm going to see Star Trek Into Darkness this weekend. I looed at the Benedict Cumberbatch The Face article today. Surely you shouldve put a spoiler warning on there? Seriously, the film is still in the cinemas and you go and ruin it!!! Thank you, you've completely taken away any element of surprise for me.
If there is an article in the mag on a film I am going to see that has spoiler alert over it I avoid the article until I've seen the film. It's really presumptive of you to think that everyone sees a film in its first few weeks. Here's news for you Empire - most people have lives outside of films and dont get the chance to go as frequently as you guys do.
Well done, idiots.
Post #: 1
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 29/5/2013 1:25:26 PM   
elab49

Empire have apologised for this in several places and tried to warn people via Twitter etc. So they know about it, they didn't mean it, the spoiler note should have been there, and they're really sorry for it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to The Bantam Menace)
Post #: 2
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 29/5/2013 1:48:28 PM   
The Bantam Menace

OK, well I missed all that as I don't use Twitter. Still mightily hacked off.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 29/5/2013 1:51:11 PM   
The Bantam Menace

Surely they should put a note on the website about it if nothing else?!

Post #: 4
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 29/5/2013 2:03:48 PM   
elab49

They might have done but I'd question where - it's as likely to help someone taking the magazine off the shelves as the twitter notice was.

But they've been completely open that they messed up.

It's not the obvious spoiler is it? I'd be, honestly, really surprised if anyone who didn't know it didn't know it, if you know what I mean. IE the spoiler only has meaning to people who'd have worked it out anyway. Kind of thing. I may be being a bit obscure, I do know that

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 5
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 30/5/2013 7:26:06 AM   
Darkaje

I'd question the need to run that interview so early on in the run. The interview added nothing over than to reveal the spoiler. There are many of us who haven't seen the film. Even had there been a spoiler warning, why should there be areas of the magazine we can't read? I really wish the magazine would remain spoiler-free.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 5/6/2013 12:37:46 PM   
McAvennie

It's the show-off/boastful nature of film writing...

"Oh, that thing you don't know about that film you haven't seen yet, oh, well I know it and I've seen the film, and this is what happens...Oh sorry, I forgot you haven't seen it yet...I have. Did I tell you?"

They just cannot help themselves. The amount of reviews that now just read like a synopsis of half the film. That is not a review, that is a tie-in novel.

I have actually reached the point of thinking I would enjoy the cinema more by not buying Empire or reading film websites and just going to see new films with no knowledge of what I am about to see. Let's face it, they are kept in business by the cinema industry's PR machines. Come to our free junket in somewhere glamorous and then tell everyone how great the film is...!

And don't get me started on the bragfest that the Editor's message has become... "Yeh and then I met X and went to a party on his yacht with Y and she totally thought I was cool and then I told her about the time Z gave me a lift in his Ferrari..." Wow, you get to meet famous people. Woop-de-doop for you!

(in reply to Darkaje)
Post #: 7
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 5/6/2013 12:55:29 PM   
MikaHaeli8

I saw it on opening day...my family had not. I bought Empire when I was home and had to cover that page with a spoiler warning before putting it in the bathroom for my family to read, as I normally do. Slightly annoyed I had to do that, guys.

Post #: 8
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 5/6/2013 5:41:39 PM   
Judge

Yep, came here to write the same thing. Seeing it this weekend and that was annoying. What's most annoying is that they hide the spoiler in the review for the film a few pages later.

(in reply to MikaHaeli8)
Post #: 9
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 5/6/2013 10:53:41 PM   
jackcarter

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 10
RE: Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face&quo... - 8/6/2013 3:19:04 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

EMMMPPPPIIIIRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Do not read Benedict Cumberbatch "The Face" if you havent seen STID Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI