Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 4/6/2013 12:54:05 PM   
spark1

no, its not but 'after earth' will be.

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 31
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 4/6/2013 1:25:25 PM   
Super Hans

Would I be right in thinking though the success of any Star Trek film would need to be judged on the franchise's own merits? While it has its hardcore base of fans, it's doesn't have the everyman type appeal of something like Star Wars so would any Star Trek film be likely to rake in the same kind of cash?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 32
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 6/6/2013 11:02:07 AM   
cyrusDCmonster

money wise the star trek franchise has never been record breaking smash hit. they always did ok, i believe they always performed better on dvd/video.

Post #: 33
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 7/6/2013 10:34:30 AM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cyrusDCmonster

money wise the star trek franchise has never been record breaking smash hit. they always did ok, i believe they always performed better on dvd/video.

because they were made with minimum budgets and not give real worldwide releases in the 80s/90s.

(in reply to cyrusDCmonster)
Post #: 34
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 7/6/2013 10:37:08 AM   
Dannybohy

Is it in some contract somewhere that Nimoy HAS to appear in every Star Trek movie ever made for all time!. The 2009 film was ruined for me by having that turd Spock story line with old spock in (should concentrated on reboot characters development because we are 2 movies in now and I couldn't give a shit about any of the main cast) . And now when he appeared in this latest movie again I was like " oh fuck off!!" I lost all interest again when they shoehorned in that sack of bones again!. Cumberbatch was awesome and totally wasted in this dire, lens flare shit fest!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 35
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 7/6/2013 2:49:54 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cyrusDCmonster

because they were made with minimum budgets and not give real worldwide releases in the 80s/90s.

yes about the budgets (post TMP) but they wernt all given total ww releases?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 36
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 8/6/2013 8:02:24 AM   
cyrusDCmonster

the point i was making (not the clearest so my apologises) is that Star Trek is while popular, a niche series that even under the JJ banner has never really had the main stream appeal of even the latest comic book movies or pop corn actioners that seem to be raking in a ton of money. Trek fans will go no doubt but some people see Star Trek and for some reason have a negative reaction and not go regardless is the movie is good or not. I guess you could call it a pre conceived notion of a franchise. more people have been willing to try these movies because nerd culture is "cool" these days but not enough are crossing the line it seems and playing it safe by seeing films like Iron Man 3 (no knock on that film) because it's the "safer" nerd option. if that makes sense.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 37
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 8/6/2013 9:57:54 AM   
asburyboss

I know there will be many factors contributing to why its not as successful as it was expected tto be like the confusing 4star reviews in a lot of publications sfx,totalfilm etc that say its a really good film then come out with lots of reasons why some of it is quite bad and has major plot issues, for me though and this may be partly my fault too I look at a few film sites and read mags like sfx etc and whilst i wasnt looking at star trek pre-release material on purpose due to the fact im not a massive fan to begin with I found it extremely hard to avoid major plot points, spoilers, photographs, material that basically just gave away a lot of the film.
I felt like id seen the movie already without having actually seen the movie, I became bored of it just as I have with Superman where Im trying to avoid spoilers but theyre practically telling you the whole film before its come out and if movie companys keep doing this then I hope theyre flops and maybe they'll realise that people dont need to be spoonfed everything anymore.

(in reply to cyrusDCmonster)
Post #: 38
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 8/6/2013 3:34:08 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Is it in some contract somewhere that Nimoy HAS to appear in every Star Trek movie ever made for all time!. The 2009 film was ruined for me by having that turd Spock story line with old spock in (should concentrated on reboot characters development because we are 2 movies in now and I couldn't give a shit about any of the main cast) . And now when he appeared in this latest movie again I was like " oh fuck off!!" I lost all interest again when they shoehorned in that sack of bones again!. Cumberbatch was awesome and totally wasted in this dire, lens flare shit fest!

quote:

I can't stand any Star Trek! tv or movies, I think its all tosh just don't understand the big deal,. But as Captain Spock might say, may the force be with you!

Why did you go to see the new Star Trek if you hate all Star Trek? Are you just a glutton for punishment?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 39
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 9/6/2013 8:15:45 PM   
rich

Depends how you define flop, and how long this takes to make back twice the budget or whatever the broad definitions are.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 40
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 17/6/2013 2:28:38 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

I can't stand any Star Trek! tv or movies, I think its all tosh just don't understand the big deal,. But as Captain Spock might say, may the force be with you!

Why did you go to see the new Star Trek if you hate all Star Trek? Are you just a glutton for punishment?

Because I thought after all these years and the latest CGi and a fresh cast that it might of shed the extremely camp and not remotely cool geeky quality!? And reviews where all good!? ( ok I am an idiot reading empire reviews)..I don't know!!! ok I don't know!! what can I say!........

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 41
RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? - 21/6/2013 7:39:16 PM   
gracewithoutelegance

Personally I hated the movie, and went into it with high expectations. I have a few issues with Abrams as a director; but that wasn't it. I just felt it couldn't make up its mind about whether to be a blockbuster or have characters (particularly villains) with some depth, and ended up being neither. I am surprised Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't more a pull-in, though.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Is Star Trek Into Darkness a flop? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI