Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Epic - 20/5/2013 5:55:10 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Short review - 20/5/2013 5:55:10 PM   
dseys

This isn't a little movie that nobody's going to see, i can't believe it's been given such a short review.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Judah who? - 20/5/2013 7:00:26 PM   
luccewada

I thought Aziz Ansari was the other slug!

Post #: 3
RE: Judah who? - 20/5/2013 8:28:39 PM   
BelfastBoy

Epic looks lovely, but it's incredibly generic and frankly, a bit dull. Kids will love it, it'll probably make loads of money, but it's very forgettable. It is however notable for an unusual voice cast - any list of predictable animation voice talent doesn't usually include Colin Farrell, Christoph Waltz, or Steven Tyler!

(in reply to luccewada)
Post #: 4
Far better than that trailer suggests... - 20/5/2013 11:53:56 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Epic is nothing you haven't seen before, but then, it's trying to save the forest, not step outside of it. Whether it has the punch to warrant a sequel or not remains to be seen, but as a self-contained family movie, you can't go far wrong.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 5
SURPRISINGLY GOOD!!! - 24/5/2013 8:12:55 PM   
Ramone87

Good solid family entertainment!!

A young teenager Mary (Amanda Syfreid) fed up with her biologist father Bomba (Jason Sudeikis) ends up being shrunk and transported to a fairy like fantasy forest in an 'epic' battle between good and evil. This is thoroughly entertaining cgi romp with some really nice visuals, solid storytelling and some laugh out loud moments. There is great host of other characters who get thrown into the battle between the good Leafmen and the evil Boggans, most funny to me were the snail and slug duo played by Chris O'Dowd and Judah Friedlander.

It's great mixture of Honey I Shrunk the kids meets Ants and a Bugs Life.Together with some great action set pieces, fully grounded characters and a plot with a nice sense genuine emotions rather than slushy sentiment so common with these cgi family outings.

Overall Worth a WATCH!!!

< Message edited by Ramone87 -- 24/5/2013 8:14:00 PM >

Post #: 6
"Where there's mice, there's bound to be... chipmu... - 9/11/2013 5:32:41 AM   
movienut707

Although skillfully animated, Epic is little more than an unoriginal and uninspiring family film which bears a startling resemblance to Fern Gully. Bottom line: the title lied.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 9/11/2013 6:50:19 PM >

Post #: 7
"Where there's mice, there's bound to be... chipmu... - 9/11/2013 5:32:42 AM   
movienut707

Although skillfully animated, Epic is little more than an unoriginal and uninspiring family film which bears a startling resemblance to Fern Gully. Bottom line: the title lied.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 9/11/2013 6:49:44 PM >

Post #: 8
Epic? More like "Generic" - 15/2/2014 4:22:55 AM   
Darren47

When the first trailer for "Epic" came out, I got excited! I've always liked Blue Sky for its "Ice Age" movies (Except the 4th one, which can suck it) I think "Robots" is a classic. And I Enjoyed "Rio" a lot. I thought "wow!" Blue Sky might come down with its first animated feature win! It looked that it had the sophistication and charm of How To Train Your Dragon. and the fight scenes looked on par With Kung Fu Panda (Its sequel mostly) It just looked Epic! Then as we got more and more info, we got celebrity phone ins (at least in the states) and it just looked lame. When it came out, It was split, Their were some 31/2 out of 4 reviews out there. But most critics criticized the derived story, celebrity phoned-in-ness, and that it was just plain dull. so I avoided it, and caught it on HBO A few weeks ago, and I must say, The critics are right! Its phoned in, the story is derived! and good god! there's other problems too! lets look into it!
First of all, the story is just dull, plain dull! super dull! In the end it's just dull! though it's well told, it's dull. period. Another problem is the characters. Their just lame! there are some good characters, such as Queen Tara. but (SPOILER) she dies! that sucks! Chris O'Dowd and Aziz Ansari are likable in their roles, but their roles are too much for comic relief. The Two main character's (Amanda Seyfried and Josh Hutcherson) are very annoying. and everyone else in unforgettable. though Christoph Waltz's villain is a good villain. Another is the flight/fight scenes. there just not as good as How To Train Your Dragon flight scenes and Kung Fu Panda fight scenes. Also, the score is inconsistent. It goes from Fiddle to Orchestration in 0 to 60. That's very distracting! Though I give props to unpredictability, and its ambition. but Epic is too much of a generic piece of quick cash for me. It sucked.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Epic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI