Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Films which surpassed your expectation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films which surpassed your expectation Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 7/8/2013 2:12:44 PM   
AxlReznor

All three of Christopher Nolan's Batman movies surpassed my expectations... Batman Begins because of how bad Batman & Robin had been, and The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises because I thought that there was no way they'd be able to top their predecessor, but they did.
Likewise Man Of Steel, because I'm not a huge fan of Superman as a character, and there had never been a live action Superman movie that I'd enjoyed. But Man Of Steel was an epic, emotional and action-packed masterpiece.
The Avengers, because I wasn't convinced they'd be able to bring all of those characters together successfully.
Toy Story 3 became my favourite of the trilogy despite strong reservations about it.
When I first saw Lawrence Of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago I was absolutely convinced that they couldn't live up to all of the great things everyone said about them. But they did. And then some.
Captain America: The First Avenger is now (other than The Avengers) my favourite of the Marvel films, despite me having absolutely zero interest in Captain America comics, because he's... well... stupid.
Up... let's just say it didn't look very good before I saw it.
Kingdom Of Heaven: Director's Cut, because the theatrical cut was all over the place, and the Director's Cut is a genuine masterpiece.
Sweeney Todd... I'm not a big fan of musicals normally.
Infernal Affairs II... it's pretty much a rushed-out, cynical cash-in on the success of the original. Yet, it's also brilliant.
Bodyguards And Assassins... with a title like that, I wasn't expecting much beyond some good fight scenes. What I got, though, was a surprisingly serious, sombre, well-paced action drama about an important time in recent Chinese history (though fictionalised, obviously).
Supercop, because I wasn't a big fan of the original Police Story (beyond its admittedly awesome shopping mall fight scene)
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within... the first movie was passable, but this sequel was brilliant.
The Wolverine... not a perfect film, but extremely enjoyable which is a big surprise after the last time Logan was given a solo outing.
Les Miserables for the same reason as Sweeney Todd.
The Amazing Spider-Man actually surpassed the original movie. Not a patch on Spider-Man 2, but nowhere near the disaster I was expecting.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (American version). Nowhere near as good as the Swedish original, but like The Amazing Spider-Man also nowhere near as bad as predicted.
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol... this franchise really has no right still being so enjoyable.
Shaun Of The Dead... I used to think I hated Simon Pegg.
Anchorman... I still do hate Will Ferrell. Except in this film.
Love & Other Drugs... not the sappy, predictable romantic comedy I first thought it was going to be.
Get Him To The Greek... it didn't look funny until I actually saw it.
Salt... one of the best action movies of the decade so far, which I thought was going to be one of the most stupid and generic.
Unleashed... it's an absurd film, but treated with much more respect than I thought it was going to be. Not a masterpiece, by any means, but interesting.

(in reply to denise123)
Post #: 61
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 7/8/2013 2:29:51 PM   
grucl

Oblivion: beautifully shot, great score, superb effects => Joseph Kosinski for the next Star Wars sequel please!!!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 62
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films which surpassed your expectation Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI