Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Films which surpassed your expectation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films which surpassed your expectation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/5/2013 1:29:47 PM   
Whistler

I'll throw The Raid, Drive and Scream 4 in as well. I had high hopes for all three, and all three delivered and then some.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 31
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 31/5/2013 2:35:00 PM   
spark1

'the expendables' was also a pleasent surprise.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 32
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 31/5/2013 2:42:19 PM   
ChudMonkey

Recently Mud and Spring Breakers... classically Citizen Kane, Some Like It Hot and The Apartment were much better than I thought they'd be!

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 33
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 31/5/2013 2:46:17 PM   
dillon.anderson1378

Drive was good but surprisingly violent
The Raid was good, but I wasn't surprised
Scre4m was a huge dissapointment!!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I'll throw The Raid, Drive and Scream 4 in as well. I had high hopes for all three, and all three delivered and then some.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 34
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 31/5/2013 2:46:55 PM   
dillon.anderson1378

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

The Expendables 2 is way better

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 35
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 31/5/2013 2:58:46 PM   
Dave Oz

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I managed to resist going to see them on their original theatrical release, because I'm not really into fantasy featuring goblins, elves, etc., and the hype was unbearable at the time. But a mate lent me his trilogy boxset when they were released on DVD (I never asked), and I must say I was hooked from the first couple of minutes of Fellowship of the Ring. I watched all 3 films back-to-back and I loved them.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 31/5/2013 4:18:20 PM >

(in reply to dillon.anderson1378)
Post #: 36
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 1/6/2013 12:35:31 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dillon.anderson1378

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

The Expendables 2 is way better

its ok but van damme is the best part of it.

(in reply to dillon.anderson1378)
Post #: 37
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 6/6/2013 10:22:52 AM   
cyrusDCmonster

for me it has to be:
-Star Trek 2009: as a big trek fan i was worried about them screwing this up. thankfully JJ came through.
-Battleship: okay hear me out, i thought this was way better than any transformers movie. guilty pleasure.
-Once Upon a Time in China and America: i'm a fan of the original trilogy and heard bad things about the final movie in the franchise. surprisingly it was quite enjoyable.

there's more, those are the standouts though.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 38
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 6/6/2013 10:33:18 AM   
spark1

'sneakers'- wish they had done a sequel when river was still around.

(in reply to cyrusDCmonster)
Post #: 39
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 9:37:03 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

Just watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter from Lovefilm. I had no expectations whatsoever for this but I got to say I bloody loved it. Lots of good action set pieces, the CGI wasn't as bad as others had said (better than The Hobbit in my opinion), and some decent enough performances. A couple of things did bother me like Vampires walking around in daylight and the train scene at the end where the Train engine mysteriously appears behind some carriages that have already crossed the burning bridge but on a whole a decent no brainer romp of an action movie.

6/10

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 40
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 12:29:48 PM   
spark1

'speed'-keanu reeves as action hero. who knew.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 11/6/2013 12:30:24 PM >

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 41
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 4:43:46 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Men In black 3.

Wasnt expecting much from this at all.Was pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed it.Completely throwaway and forgettable but was good fun.

I agree, Cool Breeze. Caught it on the tele, was it was surprising entertaining.

I'd also put into the hat, Pineapple Express. The first 10 minutes I was sure that I would not like the film, but it got so much better. Thoroughly enjoyable and great comic performances by all.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 42
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 5:05:16 PM   
Dannybohy

A friend for the End of the world. My wife made me watch it on Netflix! and I thoroughly enjoyed it! despite it having Keira Knightley in!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 43
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 5:52:03 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

Just watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter from Lovefilm. I had no expectations whatsoever for this but I got to say I bloody loved it. Lots of good action set pieces, the CGI wasn't as bad as others had said (better than The Hobbit in my opinion), and some decent enough performances. A couple of things did bother me like Vampires walking around in daylight and the train scene at the end where the Train engine mysteriously appears behind some carriages that have already crossed the burning bridge but on a whole a decent no brainer romp of an action movie.

6/10

I agree. Me and the missus watched it last week and really enjoyed it. Daft, should have been a bit more comic, but all the same it was certainly better than I was led to believe.
Put it this way, I preferred it to the other Lincoln to be honest.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 44
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 7:23:14 PM   
Scott_

How I Spent My Summer Vacation - Surprisingly enjoyable, didn't expect much but I dug it a lot and Mel Gibson's still got it.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 45
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 7:49:45 PM   
Cool Breeze

The Matrix sequels.

Wasnt really a massive fan of the original ( i enjoyed it but i thought it was a bit OVERRATED )

So went into the Matrix sequels not expecting too much and enjoyed them for what they were, big dumb action movies with intellectual window dressing.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 11/6/2013 7:50:28 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 46
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 11/6/2013 8:54:09 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

How I Spent My Summer Vacation - Surprisingly enjoyable, didn't expect much but I dug it a lot and Mel Gibson's still got it.

Another vote for HISMSV. Found it on Netflix the other night when I was a bit bored, watched it not expecting much and I really enjoyed it.

For me, Mel Gibson is the film equivalent of Morrissey. Love both their stuff, I just wish they'd bloody shut up about certain personal opinions!

Say what now?

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 47
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/6/2013 6:34:11 PM   
mortrendrag

Osombie by Arrowstorm Entertainment. It looked like an awful parody on Zombie movies, but it was actually pretty great. It is low-budget and a little cheesy, but I didn't hate it.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 48
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 27/6/2013 9:36:44 PM   
DickReckard

Kick-Ass. Didn't see a trailer and was convinced it was another of those horrendous parody films like Meet the Spartans or Disaster Movie. Obviously pleasantly surprised.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 49
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 27/6/2013 10:10:05 PM   
Cool Breeze

The A Team.

Wasnt expecting a masterpiece and it wasnt, but i think it was one of the better action comedies of the last few years.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DickReckard)
Post #: 50
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/6/2013 7:13:05 PM   
justfontaine

I would say, this year, Jack Reacher. Not without its flaws by any means, but a solid, coherent, actioner with good old fashioned (1990's style) twist and turns and a cynical-free air about it. It also looked to be made by human beings instead of robots like all the other big hitters this year.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 51
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/6/2013 8:45:56 PM   
will1000

Twilight Saga....

KIDDING!

I had never seen nor had any intention of seeing War Games until I caught it on TV one Saturday afternoon and was drawn into it. It's awesome and still scarily relevant 20+ years later.

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 52
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 1/7/2013 5:27:44 PM   
moontheloon

Magic Mike - Could so easily have been the male showgirls, but actually turned out to be one of my favourite films of the year, and confirmed that Matthew McConaughey was making good films again.

World War Z - I went in expecting a mess of a film, and, although it is flawed, I am actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

The Gatekeepers - I was worried that the whole thing would be very dry and unegaging, but it proved to be one of the more gripping films I've seen this year.

Tree Of Life... the second time I saw it - The first time I saw it I was underwhelmed, massively. I thought it was a bit of a waste of time to be honest with you. Yet I found myself in a situation where I saw it again, and when I expected nothing, suddenly the film came together in the most wonderful way and I absolutely loved it.

The film which has surpassed my expectations the most in the last year or so though has to be Silver Linings Playbook.

I liked the trailer when I first saw it, I thought it looked like a solid rom-com, then the reviews were good for it, so I thought, great, a well made, entertaining rom-com. What I didn't expect though was a film that I would absolutely fall head over heels for. I've seen it a few times now, and I still really really like it. I thought it would be a good, fun film, but I didn't expect it to feel as personal and connect with me just as much as it did.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 53
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 1/7/2013 5:39:35 PM   
UTB

Recently, Jack Reacher surpassed my expectations. Haven't read the books, but I thought Tom Cruise was particularly good and it was a decent, Jesse Stone-like whodunnit.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 54
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 1/7/2013 8:40:58 PM   
bydabeachman

I happen to agree with you greatly on Crazy, Stupid, Love. The film was such an amazing departure form classic rom-com status and something that even the guys could go to and thoroughly enjoy! The story and dialogue flowed with utter precision, setting up and expressing the exact emotion for the right moments. This is a real story that has places for everyone to connect with. Casting was perfect, Emma Stone and Ryan as so damn cute together, it is that quirky sexy that brings them together. Emma Stone brings such a reality to her roles, making it so believable to any young girl that those things could happen to her. I am an all time fan of this film and recommend it to all. From plot to cinematography, acting to editing, this film was an overall win.

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 55
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 3/7/2013 1:21:01 PM   
Jasper_29

Dead Man's Shoes. There's this guy who knows his shit and every time he recommends a movie or show he's like you gotta track this obscure thing down and I always do and my expectations are always ridiculously high... but this movie surpassed them. Gripping stuff from start to finish and I'm grateful no one spoilt it for me before seeing it.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 56
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 4/7/2013 10:27:55 PM   
Guaporense

Ozu's Late Spring. I expected to be a boring movie but I was left stunned by its power.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 57
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 6/7/2013 8:09:24 AM   
vader100

Silver Linings Playbook was a massive surprise. I HATE rom coms but what I got was a half a film that was a very interesting depiction of mental health issues, although they all got miraculously cured by falling in love.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 58
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 6/7/2013 10:41:48 AM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

Silver Linings Playbook was a massive surprise. I HATE rom coms but what I got was a half a film that was a very interesting depiction of mental health issues, although they all got miraculously cured by falling in love.

And all the medication he was on?

I don't for a minute think he was cured at the end, but half of his issue was his obsession with his ex wife and the commitment to them getting back together, which everyone else realises isn't going to happen besides him. So to fall in love with another woman provides him with closure in his marriage and move on with his life.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 59
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 7/8/2013 1:07:06 PM   
denise123

End of watch ....... By far the biggest surprise, was expecting a standard buddy cop movie...... excellent performance from the always great Jake Gyllenhall .... well executed film.... funny and moving but felt very real the whole time.....

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films which surpassed your expectation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI