Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Films which surpassed your expectation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films which surpassed your expectation Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Films which surpassed your expectation - 16/5/2013 9:27:43 PM   
vad3r

I recently watched Crazy, Stupid, Love and think the rom-com genre will never be topped.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 16/5/2013 9:28:01 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.
Post #: 1
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 22/5/2013 7:03:05 PM   
Judge

I enjoyed Crazy, Stupid Love too, the kid's obsession with his babysitter wears thin quickly on repete viewings though.

Sherlock Holmes for me. A SH adaptation starring Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law and directed by Guy Ritchie sounded horrible to me when I first heard about it, but I loved it. I thought it nailed the light hearted, fun tone that so many blockbusters fail to achieve, perfectly.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 2
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 22/5/2013 7:25:08 PM   
Hood_Man

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

The trailer looked cool, the film itself was a wonderful breath of fresh air (my favourite character was Barbossa by the way ).

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 3
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 22/5/2013 9:08:41 PM   
sandy666

In Bruges got me with its wit and surprise. The Guard, did the same.

The Battle of Algiers was unflinching in its depictionof the brutality of the conflict.

Looking for Eric - for it's humanity and the fact that it doesn't become too morose, rather it does the opposite.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 4
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 22/5/2013 10:25:31 PM   
Mr Gittes

Dirty Harry, definitely. Was expecting a cheesy cop flick, but what I got was a dark, tense serial killer thriller and a movie classic.

Also The Grey. Bloody brilliant.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 5
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 2:41:06 AM   
UTB

Agree with Sherlock Holmes (and the sequel), both brilliant fun. The arrival at the wedding in the second one is a brilliant piece of comedy.

Evil Dead remake was much better than anticipated, too. And The Grey, mentioned above.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 6
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 9:23:53 AM   
NCC1701A

Two from last year were way better then I thought they would be

The Hunger Games and Pitch Perfect botgh in my top 10 of 2012.

Die Hard 5 after reading the reviews I liked it better then Die Hard 4.0.

Star Trek 2009 as a Star Trek fan I was scared that we would get Beverley Hills 90210 in space. what I got was a great sci-fi film and the 2013 sequel is even better.

The Impossible surpassed my expections as well, really did not want to see it but it really impressed me. And the performances from the cast were amazing.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 7
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 10:12:04 AM   
The Big Guy

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

Two from last year were way better then I thought they would be

The Hunger Games and Pitch Perfect botgh in my top 10 of 2012.

Die Hard 5 after reading the reviews I liked it better then Die Hard 4.0.

Star Trek 2009 as a Star Trek fan I was scared that we would get Beverley Hills 90210 in space. what I got was a great sci-fi film and the 2013 sequel is even better.

The Impossible surpassed my expections as well, really did not want to see it but it really impressed me. And the performances from the cast were amazing.

Die Hard 5 was abysmal. If it had not had John McClane in nobody would have cared. At all.

Die Hard 5 did surpass my expectations, when I think about it. I had expected it to be quite bad. It was not "quite bad". It was gash.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 8
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 12:10:30 PM   
jackcarter

Batman Begins - i knew it would be good as i knew about Nolan had seen Insomnia/Memento but i wasnt expecting it to be that good.

seeing B&R 8 years prior probably had something to do with it too

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 9
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 2:28:48 PM   
FoximusPrime

Skyline
Taken
Fast 5

I think the common factor here is that my expectations were extremely low for each of these but a mate talked me in to Skyline and Fast 5, while I watched Taken via LoveFilm after reading / hearing very polarised reviews.

I'd also say Avengers (Assemble) because the trailers and posters didn't really sell it very well so I was worried the whole 'Phase One' thing failed with a whimper.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 10
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 7:12:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

I agree about Sherlock Holmes.I'm a bit of a fan and feared it would be a total travesty, but it wasn't at all.

And dare I say Inception. I'm not a fan of Nolan and seriously dislike his Batmans...but Inception almost blew me away.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 11
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 7:28:46 PM   
thedrin

Die Hard 4 for me. One of my favourite action films from the last 10 years. There's some bad stuff in it ("think of them as hardware to your software" *shudder*), but overall it's a really good action film.

More recently (yesterday) I saw The Great Gatsby. I finished the book on Tuesday and utterly loved it. I didn't expect to like the film so much.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 12
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 23/5/2013 7:53:40 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Agree with Sherlock Holmes (and the sequel), both brilliant fun. The arrival at the wedding in the second one is a brilliant piece of comedy.

For me it was especially the sequel. I liked the first one but Jared Harris added something extra as Moriarty. I'm kind of hoping they can sort of somehow bring him back for a later film, if they make another.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 13
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 12:00:42 AM   
Mister Coe

Another vote for Skyline. It had utterly terrible reviews but when I caught it a few weeks ago on TV, I thought it was a decent enough sci-fi flick. And considering the relatively low budget, there were some truly excellent FX scenes.

Say what now?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 14
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 3:06:48 AM   
dillon.anderson1378

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Another vote for Skyline. It had utterly terrible reviews but when I caught it a few weeks ago on TV, I thought it was a decent enough sci-fi flick. And considering the relatively low budget, there were some truly excellent FX scenes.

Haha it's nice to here that some people did enjoy 'Skyline'
Because I found it to be the biggest waste of money, an utterly boring and stupid film. So that one didn't quite surpass my expectations.

My ones are:
Pitch Perfect: I was really honestly surprised, it is more than a singing chick flick, trust me!
Taken 2: Everyone said it was horrible, but it was a good bit of fun
Les Miserables: I am very picky about musicals, but this one was great, was not expecting that
The Maltese Falcon: I thought I might get bored watching this film, but from that opening scene to that closing line, I was hooked! Amazing cinema

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 15
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 9:36:19 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Moonrise Kingdom: Not a big fan of Anderson going into this one but was pleasantly surprised in the end.

Star Trek 09:Pleasantly bowled-over.

Melancholia:I knew the reviews it had were great but I was still unsure whether I would 'get it' or that it would meet my expectations.
Its fair to say Melancholia is now one of my favorite mainstream movies in/of the past few years.
Also I must say that I'm not such a Dunst fan but, like the the film,she won me over.

(in reply to dillon.anderson1378)
Post #: 16
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 12:15:49 PM   
Cool Breeze

Men In black 3.

Wasnt expecting much from this at all.Was pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed it.Completely throwaway and forgettable but was good fun.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 17
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 2:40:13 PM   
iheartmovies

The Notebook.... not a fan of chick flicks but was forced to watch this and embarrassingly enough actually enjoyed it.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 18
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 3:07:45 PM   
UTB

Skyline was alright. Considering the directors are both VFX wizards the effects should have been awesome, though it still doesn't make up for AvP:R.

(in reply to iheartmovies)
Post #: 19
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 8:18:51 PM   
will1000

I was on paternity leave recently and was flicking around on the TV when I landed on Night At The Museum 2 and actually ended up watching all of it! It's a fun film but Hank Azaria makes it. He is hilarious!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 20
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 25/5/2013 10:40:52 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

I enjoyed Crazy, Stupid Love too, the kid's obsession with his babysitter wears thin quickly on repete viewings though.

Pure dodge, her giving him the naked pictures at the end though. He's underage, surely that's illegal! But a good movie all the same.

For me, I have to say The Watch. I went in expecting it to be absolutely shit, but I actually laughed a lot

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 21
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 26/5/2013 1:25:14 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Skyline was alright. Considering the directors are both VFX wizards the effects should have been awesome, though it still doesn't make up for AvP:R.

Nothing on Gods sweet Earth could make up for AvP-R. A truly offensively bad film that pisses on two franchises.

Say what now?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 22
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 26/5/2013 5:58:39 PM   
Whistler

Hmm, another shout for The Grey and Melancholia. Off the top of my head there's also The Last Stand and End Of Watch. The latter really surprised me.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 23
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 27/5/2013 1:58:50 AM   
dillon.anderson1378

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Hmm, another shout for The Grey and Melancholia. Off the top of my head there's also The Last Stand and End Of Watch. The latter really surprised me.

Melancholia and The Grey both had really high reviews so I think my expectations for them were to high, so overall I found them both dissapointing

I haven't seen the last stand, but Holy Crap, End of Watch was great!

Another film which surprised me was Sahara, released in 2005 with Matthew McConaghy (I can't remember how to spell it). That one is an underated action film!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 24
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 27/5/2013 4:28:42 PM   
thedrin

quote:

ORIGINAL: dillon.anderson1378
Another film which surprised me was Sahara, released in 2005 with Matthew McConaghy (I can't remember how to spell it). That one is an underated action film!

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Sahara. The latter may not be as good, but there's no shame in mentioning the 2 in the same sentence. Edit: there's a good thread in Favourite Films for it.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 27/5/2013 4:34:39 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/5/2013 9:09:14 AM   
dillon.anderson1378

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

quote:

ORIGINAL: dillon.anderson1378

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Sahara. The latter may not be as good, but there's no shame in mentioning the 2 in the same sentence. Edit: there's a good thread in Favourite Films for it.

Sahara is pretty much a 'closer to b-grade' Indiana Jones but it was such a good movie !!!!!

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 26
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/5/2013 10:27:51 AM   
spark1

'die hard/vengeance' and '4.0' were pretty good.

Post #: 27
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/5/2013 11:46:14 AM   
dillon.anderson1378

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

'die hard/vengeance' and '4.0' were pretty good.

Agreed

Also Lethal Weapon 4. Everyone said that it was a let-down and I enjoyed it.

Also:
Grown Ups - One of the only Adam Sandler comedies I enjoy
and Wild Hogs - Underrated comedy!
and To Kill a Mockingbird - I though I would find it slow and boring, but I couldn't take my eyes of the screen, it was great!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 28
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/5/2013 1:18:29 PM   
Super Hans

X-Men First Class for me. I was highly cynical about these spin-offs/prequels and what-have-yous, especially after seeing that Wolverine was so poorly received. Even when it got positve reviews I was dubious and steered clear.

Therefore it was a big surprise when I watched it on DV not long ago and actually really enjoyed it. Seemed a bit grittier in style compared to the original X-men films and was very entertaining. I think I'd go so far as to say it's easily my favourite of the franchise.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 29
RE: Films which surpassed your expectation - 28/5/2013 1:26:20 PM   
Titanm21

Dredd 3D for me...

Everything about it blew me away including the 3D which I'm never a fan of in any movie. (TBF the 2D version of Dredd doesn't loose anything)

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films which surpassed your expectation Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI