Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 4:38:37 PM   
paulyboy

I tend to slog it out regardless, it's hard to form an overall opinion of something if you've only seen part of it, even if what you saw was shite.

That said, I'd by lying if the above scenario ever actually panned out well, if a film is that bad 30 minutes in, it'll usually take a miracle to swing it back into the good books.

But I have always and shall continue to persist, it's resulted in a few films redeeming themselves in the past, of course I've also suffered through hours of shite.

Actually I did switch something off once, a friend rented The Bogus Witch Project spoof and bought it round years ago, we both lasted about 40 minutes before swearing vengeance against Pauly Shore and dubbing it the worst film either of us had ever seen, a title it still retains today.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 31
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 5:29:23 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

For me, Cabin In The Woods is the greatest horror film ever, because it was the most unique. People love to hate something that manipulates genre traditions, sadly.

Granted it was unique, doesnt take away how shit it was though.

they should never had shown the whole 'we set these kids up' organisation at the start, destroyed any kind of twist.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 32
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 6:09:24 PM   
Bloke from Oz

Topic already brought up before:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3094222&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#3094222

Anyway, my two bits' worth - I always approach any film from the start with an open mind, but if it begins taking away my interest after one hour or so, I have no qualms about switching off. (I have also walked out on some films as well - life really is too short.)

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Sonny Wortzik)
Post #: 33
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 18/5/2013 9:29:58 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny Wortzik

quote:

For me, Cabin In The Woods is the greatest horror film ever, because it was the most unique. People love to hate something that manipulates genre traditions, sadly.

they should never had shown the whole 'we set these kids up' organisation at the start, destroyed any kind of twist.

Not sure I seem to remember it being quite far into the film before they revealed that, whatever the case it doesn't take anyway from the overall point of the film.

(in reply to Sonny Wortzik)
Post #: 34
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 18/5/2013 8:02:12 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

Not sure I seem to remember it being quite far into the film before they revealed that, whatever the case it doesn't take anyway from the overall point of the film.

They showed the control room guys at the beginning and showed people watching the kids as soon as they left for their trip. For me, the biggest mistake was showing the eagle flying into the forcefield-net-thingy in the trailer. The second time I saw it, I took a friend who hadn't seen the trailer and she liked the twist a lot.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 35
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 29/5/2013 12:39:33 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

I'll happily switch off a film if I don't like it. As others have said, life's too short.

I remember switching off Blade II, The Mist and The (original) Thing; I'm a right wimp when it comes to gore and suffering and they were just too gruesome for me. If a film is upsetting me then I have no qualms whatsoever about switching it off, or leaving the room if I'm watching with others. I tried watching Midnight Express when it was on the telly a few weeks back, that soon got switched over!

I've never walked out a film at the cinema but I came perilously close with White Noise, still one of the worst films I've ever seen. I felt violated for paying to watch that turd.

Waaaah! Seriously can't believe you turned those films off. Especially The Thing (My 2nd fave movie of all time)

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 36
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 30/5/2013 2:17:03 PM   
Coyleone

The only film that's coming to mind right now is Dogville. That was on BBC I think. Not a Von Trier fan but this was before knowing any of his other work. So yeah, usually I'll just dig deep and continue watching if I'm not liking it.

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 30/5/2013 2:18:11 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 31/5/2013 11:51:23 AM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

They showed the control room guys at the beginning and showed people watching the kids as soon as they left for their trip. For me, the biggest mistake was showing the eagle flying into the forcefield-net-thingy in the trailer. The second time I saw it, I took a friend who hadn't seen the trailer and she liked the twist a lot.

I have to admit that when I first saw that bit in the trailer I thought "for fucks sake, did they really just give away the twist?".

However, after watching the film I have to say credit where it's due to the makers - what could easily have been the crucial plot twist in any other horror film barely scratched the surface of what was going on in The Cabin in the Woods. The fact that like you say, they told you bold as brass in the opening minutes that it was all a controlled set up clearly shows it wasn't the main twist in the tale. I certainly didn't twig on properly to precisely what the purpose of it all was until the end - the wife and I were guessing all sorts!

I suppose part of me still thinks it's a shame about that bit in the trailer though, but seems insignificant enough now.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 38
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 31/5/2013 1:07:07 PM   
Whistler

I switched off The Man Who Fell To Earth last night. I gave it a watch based on Kermode's recommendation on Friday (and noticing it was on iPlayer), but it really wasn't doing anything for me at all. I'd usually stick it out to the end, but l was pretty tired and I just couldn't be bothered forcing myself to pay attention to something that wasn't gripping me. I intend to go back and reevaluate it at some point, because I feel I'm supposed to get it, or something... Is it just me, or is it really boring?

To be fair, the first time I saw There Will Be Blood I didn't give it enough attention and consequently didn't get it, but the second time it just blew me away.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 39
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 31/5/2013 1:15:09 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I switched off The Man Who Fell To Earth last night. I gave it a watch based on Kermode's recommendation on Friday (and noticing it was on iPlayer), but it really wasn't doing anything for me at all. I'd usually stick it out to the end, but l was pretty tired and I just couldn't be bothered forcing myself to pay attention to something that wasn't gripping me. I intend to go back and reevaluate it at some point, because I feel I'm supposed to get it, or something... Is it just me, or is it really boring?

To be fair, the first time I saw There Will Be Blood I didn't give it enough attention and consequently didn't get it, but the second time it just blew me away.

Yep,its a hard film to watch but I have been meaning to check it out,but like you it did very little for me the first time round.Plus Bowie,who's talents I like and admire,but acting fair to say isn't one of them.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 40
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 31/5/2013 2:18:26 PM   
ChudMonkey

I remember really wanting to walk out of The Chronicles Of Riddick, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and most recently Oblivion out of sheer boredom but I've always stuck it out to the end just so I can justifiably putting the films on my "worst films of the year" list

On DVD it's a different matter I'll turn off anything that's awful, although recently I had to review Friends With Kids and it took all of my will power to watch it through to the end just to give my review (in my own head at least) credibility

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI