Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 12:17:32 PM   
vad3r

Can't believe I watched the entirety of Melancholia last night. Bloated, pretentious mess with no redeeming quality whatsoever. I kept on watching thinking the sci fi is going to start now, alas, it never did.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.
Post #: 1
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 12:54:08 PM   
Dannybohy

I used to! but as I get older I have less time and have been known to walk out of cinemas and regularly switch off a bad movie on netflix! (human centipede most recently)
Having said that I sat through the whole of Die Hard 5 which is easily now in the top 5 worst movies I have ever seen!. I guess I carried on to see if it would actually get worse! I turned to my wife near the end and jokingly said " omg! they will walk off into the sunrise next!" minutes later....what the hell!! I feel movie mind raped! like someone stole a bit of my life! I wish I had turned it off.

I followed that with Warm Bodies (wifes choice) which I surprisingly actually enjoyed!.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 12:57:07 PM   
NCC1701A

If I really can't stand it (Juno, Dinner with Schmucks I am looking at you) then I turn the film off put it in a bag to be sold off.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 3
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 1:22:42 PM   
Super Hans

Not too often....depends really. I wouldn't walk out of a cinema viewing, partly because the tickets are so expensive. However, as that's a rare treat nowdays, I'm highly unlikely to watch something that is either meant to be rubbish or isn't to my taste anyway.

Even on DVD i'm not that likely to stop part way through - only if I really can't stand the film, and particularly if it's long.

The last film I remember quitting on was Sleeping Beauty (2011 film starring Emily Browning. Sersiously, SERIOUSLY not to be confused with the Disney classic ).

Even my wife, who chose it, agreed that it after 45 minutes it was the most pretentious, uneventful piece of junk we'd ever watched. Essentially just women looking fairly vacant, not saying a lot, punctuated by the odd person saying words like 'labia' - and not in a good way! I know 'artsy fartsy' is one of the laziest of descriptions, but it really was!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 1:42:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'll give a film thirty minutes to pull me in and if, thirty minutes in, I am gleaning no enjoyment whatsoever from it then I'll switch it off. Life's too short and there are too many good films to watch to be wasting my time watching stuff I don't like.

It's very rare I do end up switching a film off though, I thin the last time was with A Serious Man (which seriously surprised me, I expected to love it). Ten minutes in and I wanted to punch the fuck out of every character we'd been introduced to, 30 minutes in and I wanted to put my boot through the telly. Seeing as I can't afford to be destroying expensive electronic equipment I just switched it off instead.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 5
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 2:18:21 PM   
directorscut

Did you really watch Melancholia expecting a sci-fi movie? 

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 6
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 2:31:17 PM   
Scott_

Yep. It's pretty rare I'll find a film I flat-out don't like anyway, I can't remember the last time I stopped watching something before the end.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 7
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 2:35:40 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=melancholia%20genre&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=838&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw&ei=HOCUUeehFoaz0QXSnoCQDA

quote:

Post #: 8
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 2:58:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=melancholia%20genre&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=838&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw&ei=HOCUUeehFoaz0QXSnoCQDA

https://www.google.ie/search?q=melancholia+director&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 9
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 3:03:20 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=melancholia+director&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

quote:

Post #: 10
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 3:17:59 PM   
UTB

Never walked out of a film in the cinema. At home boredom is usually cured by the opening of laptops or checking of phones. I always know when the Mrs is bored as she opens her laptop. Though she did actually stop watching This Is 40 the other day, which she described as "not funny in the slightest, just fucking irritating".

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 11
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 3:40:52 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah I've never walked out of the cinema either. I've come close twice with Blair Witch Project and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest though but I decided that with the former I may as well stay in the screening rather than wait an hour in the foyer for my ride home to come out and in the case of the latter I couldn't bring myself to wake the wife, she looked so peaceful...

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 16/5/2013 3:42:12 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 12
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 3:56:58 PM   
Rebel scum

I always try to get to the end, even if the film's terrible. Mostly this is because sometimes bad films experience a sudden burst of quality towards the end, but also because it means I can say "It was shit" instead of "The first half-hour was shit". That said, I've switched off films that weren't grabbing me in order to come back later when I've got time to waste, and I had to watch the first Scary Movie in five minute increments because any longer made me want to garotte the nearest cat.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 13
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 4:22:27 PM   
sandy666

Not always - first option is to play it on 1.5 mode - I still get sound and picture - it goes faster.

The second option is to switch it off or fall asleep.

There are so many good movies to see out there, why waste time on awful ones?

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 14
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 4:34:10 PM   
Discodez

Never walked out of a film I've paid to see, although I have been tempted a couple of times!

I did quite recently demand that "White Chicks" be turned off when on the TV, missus and step-daughter kept saying, "no it's funny give it a chance" - I wanted to rip my own eyes out after about 15 minutes. They did turn it off in the end.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 15
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 5:23:02 PM   
Hood_Man

I've never walked out of a cinema but if I'm watching a DVD/BluRay that I've Lovefilmed, and it's not exactly grabbing my attention, I'll turn it off and post it back.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 16
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 5:44:54 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I've never walked out of a cinema but if I'm watching a DVD/BluRay that I've Lovefilmed, and it's not exactly grabbing my attention, I'll turn it off and post it back.

Yeah, same here. It's rare but it has happened.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 17
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 6:18:28 PM   
will1000

Generally as a rule I'll watch a film in its entirety no matter its quality. However, that being said, the missus and I did turn off What To Expect When You're Expecting after 15 minutes. At the time we were expecting (otherwise I wouldn't have even entertained the thought of watching it!) so a friend lent it to us. It was/is awful! The worst kind of cliché American rom-com bubblegum bullshit. I can't remember what we put in afterwards. It was either Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or Argo!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 18
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 9:10:16 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

The bounty hunter, teeth and wrong turn 4.

all 3 were complete abortions, films i wish i'd of turned off was Cabin in the woods and the 2 Joel Schumacher Batman movies.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 19
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 9:30:35 PM   
rich

Not usually, has to be something exceptional. Informed opinions on just how rubbish it is and all that, or else you might have been missing something. Pretty rare.

For some reason God of Gamblers 2 sticks in my memory as one of those got switched off after 30 minutes.

< Message edited by rich -- 16/5/2013 9:36:30 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Sonny Wortzik)
Post #: 20
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 11:19:36 PM   
Mister Coe

I almost never turn off a movie but I often grab a magazine or start trawling the internet (with the film playing in the background) if it hasnt got my attention by the 45-minute mark...

Say what now?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 21
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 16/5/2013 11:30:09 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

Can't believe I watched the entirety of Melancholia last night. Bloated, pretentious mess with no redeeming quality whatsoever. I kept on watching thinking the sci fi is going to start now, alas, it never did.

I was very disappointed with it too, considering the write-ups and attention it got. The way people talked about it, I figured I was just too dumb to "get it" or something. I found it very boring.

Actually, the last film I remember turning off half way through was Antichrist, so maybe I just don't get Lars Von Trier.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 22
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 9:13:07 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

I'll happily switch off a film if I don't like it. As others have said, life's too short.

I remember switching off Blade II, The Mist and The (original) Thing; I'm a right wimp when it comes to gore and suffering and they were just too gruesome for me. If a film is upsetting me then I have no qualms whatsoever about switching it off, or leaving the room if I'm watching with others. I tried watching Midnight Express when it was on the telly a few weeks back, that soon got switched over!

I've never walked out a film at the cinema but I came perilously close with White Noise, still one of the worst films I've ever seen. I felt violated for paying to watch that turd.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 23
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 10:48:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I always finish a film if I've started it. I might take a break or go back to it after a few days but I've never not finished. It's a compulsion

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 24
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 10:51:10 AM   
Whistler

Each to his own I guess, but Melancholia was my favourite film of 2011. It completely blew me away.

But on the topic at hand, I very rarely switch a film off half way through. There is logic in that "life's too short, why bother?" thing, but something just doesn't sit right leaving a film unfinished, even if it is totally crap. I guess I just like to give each film the benefit of the doubt, in case it starts getting good, but there are occasions where I just can't bare to sit through it any longer. Sleeping Beauty (2011) and Rubber are two that spring to mind.

I've never walked out of a film at the cinema, but I've always kicked myself for not doing it with Epic Movie.

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 25
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 10:56:50 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

The last film I remember quitting on was Sleeping Beauty (2011 film starring Emily Browning. Sersiously, SERIOUSLY not to be confused with the Disney classic ).

Even my wife, who chose it, agreed that it after 45 minutes it was the most pretentious, uneventful piece of junk we'd ever watched. Essentially just women looking fairly vacant, not saying a lot, punctuated by the odd person saying words like 'labia' - and not in a good way! I know 'artsy fartsy' is one of the laziest of descriptions, but it really was!

YES, you are correct sir

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 26
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 11:53:48 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny Wortzik

films i wish i'd of turned off was Cabin in the woods and the 2 Joel Schumacher Batman movies.

I like you.

The only film I've ever walked out of at the cinema was From Paris With Love.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Sonny Wortzik)
Post #: 27
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 11:57:50 AM   
DancingClown

Nothing wrong with Cabin In The Woods.

Is this just another suchandsuch is shit thread?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 28
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 12:00:42 PM   
vad3r

For me, Cabin In The Woods is the greatest horror film ever, because it was the most unique. People love to hate something that manipulates genre traditions, sadly.

quote:

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 29
RE: Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? - 17/5/2013 12:48:37 PM   
ElephantBoy

I might actually get round to watching Sleeping Beauty now on the back of this thread

Very rarely do I stop watching a film no matter how bad. I am a great believer that even the worse films can still have good moments, in fact more films than not are mixed in terms of quality. There is of course the money factor when it comes to the cinema, and normally like someone else said I do trust my own taste.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Do you continue watching a film if you don't like it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI