Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 14/5/2013 9:44:20 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
gah - 14/5/2013 9:44:20 PM   
darktrain

please bitch NO!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: gah - 14/5/2013 10:06:12 PM   
matty_b

Fuck. Off.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to darktrain)
Post #: 3
RE: gah - 14/5/2013 10:21:27 PM  1 votes
rawlinson

Carlton for the Robert Ryan role.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4
Yawn - 14/5/2013 10:33:05 PM   
danbo1138

Lemme guess,all his family will get to 'star' in it to.

Post #: 5
This Man - 15/5/2013 8:00:59 AM   
postgrape

Needs To Be Stopped

Post #: 6
- 15/5/2013 8:46:26 AM   
filmburner30

i Bloody hope not Peckinpah was a genius and this was his masterpeice do not let Will Smith or anyone else remake this movie

Post #: 7
- 15/5/2013 9:02:55 AM   
Lord Fury

Fuck you Warner Brothers and fuck you Will Smith. That is all.

Post #: 8
Bleurgh - 15/5/2013 9:30:51 AM   
DonnchadhT5

Seriously, who even needs Will Smith anymore? #fuckthewildbunchremakeandfuckwillsmith

Post #: 9
Fuck. Off. - 15/5/2013 10:34:13 AM   
Mr Gittes

I'm normally not one to immediately dismiss the idea of a remake and holler "Screw Hollywood!" but this...this here is an exception. The Wild Bunch is one of my all-time favourite movies and, modern update or not, these people better rethink what they're doing and stay well the fuck away from it. Because The Wild Bunch is untouchable. Period.

What are they gonna remake next? Jaws?!

Post #: 10
RE: gah - 15/5/2013 10:36:35 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Carlton for the Robert Ryan role.

As pissed as I am about this bit of news, this did make me laugh my ass off

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 11
If I may offer a viewpoint? - 15/5/2013 10:46:27 AM   
Iago 1979

There is a lot of bile aimed at this project (and understandably so). However there are a few interesting details from this brief article that may offer some talking points. The description of the potential new film's plot suggests that the new film is to be told from the point of view of the Robert Ryan character (or the modern equivalent). That could be an interesting angle to approach any possible remake. The new film's present day setting would also suggest a rather different thematic tone also. Could it be that Peckinpah's western classic is merely an inspiration for a new film, as opposed to a straight remake? This could be something interesting indeed and Will Smith (whether you like him or not) has that star power charisma to drive a big project like this. The sticking point that I see is the title: that should change. This may be unlikely, as the title is already out in the public domain & makes a marketing dream. I hope that this is not the case and a new title is selected.

Post #: 12
Why call it a remake? - 15/5/2013 11:31:17 AM   
draney

My original post was gonna be whether anybody was a fed up with Will Smith as I am, but reading the comments I can see they are, also, if the plot details in the article are correct, why bother calling it a remake? All that'll do is piss people off, why not just rip it off instead? Plenty of other films get away with it.

Post #: 13
Jesus!! - 15/5/2013 12:30:24 PM   
Bobby TwoTimes

As John Carpenter's 'The Thing' is one of my favourite films, i'm always willing to at least listen to a remake articles defence before clicking onto the next story.......but then I read the 'throw the plot forward in time to today' bit. Up yours Will Smith you mug!

Post #: 14
RE: Jesus!! - 15/5/2013 1:30:30 PM   
Dannybohy

why didn't he just take the part of Django and get it out of his system!. we all know hes trying to exorcise the Wild Wild West demons!!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Bobby TwoTimes)
Post #: 15
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 1:34:13 PM   
MonsterCat

This doesn't matter. Honestly, why get worked up about this?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 16
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 2:05:45 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

This doesn't matter. Honestly, why get worked up about this?

Because hearing "The Wild Bunch" should make you think about one of the greatest westerns ever made, and just a classic movie, with the very best blood ballets in cinema history...not some ten-a-penny Will Smith-starring cash-grab. Yes, none of us have seen it yet, and I'm not usually a cynic by any means, but come on

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 17
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 2:45:21 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Why all the hate towards Will Smith for having the temerity to accept a job? Anyway, with a different setting and period this seems like it'll be what Last Man Standing was to A Fistful of Dollars (granted LMS is by far the lesser version of the well used story but I like it).

If the internet was around in the 1960's I wonder if people would have been laying into Clint Eastwood for having the gall to accept a role in a reimagining of Kurosawa's classic Yojimbo, or slagged off Brynner, Wallach and McQueen for their part in remaking Seven Samurai?

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 15/5/2013 3:17:59 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 18
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 2:51:57 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Because hearing "The Wild Bunch" should make you think about one of the greatest westerns ever made, and just a classic movie, with the very best blood ballets in cinema history

Yes, but a remake is not going to change that.

For example: Let the Right One In was remade and it was shitty, but that doesn't make the original any less brilliant.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 19
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 3:58:53 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Why all the hate towards Will Smith for having the temerity to accept a job? Anyway, with a different setting and period this seems like it'll be what Last Man Standing was to A Fistful of Dollars (granted LMS is by far the lesser version of the well used story but I like it).

If the internet was around in the 1960's I wonder if people would have been laying into Clint Eastwood for having the gall to accept a role in a reimagining of Kurosawa's classic Yojimbo, or slagged off Brynner, Wallach and McQueen for their part in remaking Seven Samurai?

This

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 20
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 4:10:39 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Because hearing "The Wild Bunch" should make you think about one of the greatest westerns ever made, and just a classic movie, with the very best blood ballets in cinema history

Yes, but a remake is not going to change that.

For example: Let the Right One In was remade and it was shitty, but that doesn't make the original any less brilliant.

True, but I'm still just appalled that they'd attempt something like this.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 4:25:18 PM   
MonsterCat

I think it's more appalling that studios are ignoring original films in favor of remakes and reboots.

Unfortunately, new and different films are hard to come by what with studios trying to stave off the effects of the recession.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 22
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 4:47:22 PM   
Iago 1979

quote:

I think it's more appalling that studios are ignoring original films in favor of remakes and reboots.

Unfortunately, new and different films are hard to come by what with studios trying to stave off the effects of the recession.

Hit the nail on the head! The multiplexes are stocked full of remakes, comic book adaptations & franchise continuations. These films are providing the big Hollywood studios with continuous high revenue streams, so expect more of the same... Unless people vote with their feet, of course!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 23
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 9:04:41 PM   
mackey

So Will Smith will be doing his serious face for this one then........the man is gutless when it comes to film choices and will not do anything to risk alienating a single member of his PG-13 fanbase or the chance of making another gazillion dollars.

Remaking 'The Wild Bunch' is obviously a terrible idea but Smith's involvement guarantees a bland end product.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Iago 1979)
Post #: 24
Will's Expendables - 15/5/2013 10:15:30 PM   
BenTramer

The premise for this remake has nothing to do with the original, why call it The Wild Bunch at all? Why not just make it a completely brand new movie? Will sounds like he wants to create his own Expendables franchise.

Post #: 25
RE: Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch - 15/5/2013 10:37:42 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iago 1979

quote:

Hit the nail on the head! The multiplexes are stocked full of remakes, comic book adaptations & franchise continuations. These films are providing the big Hollywood studios with continuous high revenue streams, so expect more of the same... Unless people vote with their feet, of course!

I can't sit here and whinge too much about remakes, reboots, sequels and comic book films, but yeah, the amount that gets pumped out is a tad wearying, especially comic book flicks. I think that about 90% of the big films this summer are reboots, comic book movies or both! My interest level in Man of Steel has completely flatlined over the past few weeks, and I honestly can't be arsed to go see Iron Man 3. For me, the comic book movie genre is starting to reach a saturation point.

But right now, the comic book movie genre is basically a sure fire way of generating a seeming never ending stream of money. From a corporate stand-point, it would sensible to stick with that than take risks with a property which doesn't have a guaranteed audience. But where does that leave the people who want to see the next PT Anderson film as well as the new JJ Abrams flick? Shortchanged is what..

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 15/5/2013 10:46:43 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Iago 1979)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Will Smith Takes Aim At The Wild Bunch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI