Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Fast And Furious 6

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Fast And Furious 6 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fast And Furious 6 - 13/5/2013 7:11:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Who Pays this Reviewer? Not me! - 13/5/2013 7:11:27 PM   
jace007

What a terrible review, just lazy and uninspiring. I remember Fast 5 getting 3 stars too and look how the public reacted? Most critics (except Kermode) bore me and Empire's amateurs are guilty as charged!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Who Pays this Reviewer? Not me! - 13/5/2013 7:21:49 PM   
David Somerset

Actually, if you buy the magazine or any of the products advertised on the site, then yes, you do pay this reviewer. Obvious when you think about it.

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 3
RE: Who Pays this Reviewer? Not me! - 13/5/2013 7:30:03 PM   
Cool Breeze

I often feel that Empire are too embarassed to admit that they enjoy these movies hence the rather low rating they give to something like Fast Five which turned out to be one of the best action movies in YEARS.

From the sound of this review it sounds like at least another star can be added and that its just as much fun as the last entry.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to David Somerset)
Post #: 4
RE: Who Pays this Reviewer? Not me! - 13/5/2013 8:17:14 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I often feel that Empire are too embarassed to admit that they enjoy these movies hence the rather low rating they give to something like Fast Five which turned out to be one of the best action movies in YEARS.

Erm...........they gave Fast Five 4 stars.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 5
RE: Who Pays this Reviewer? Not me! - 13/5/2013 8:48:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

From the sound of this review it sounds like at least another star can be added and that its just as much fun as the last entry.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?DVDID=118806

If people are going to talk bobbins about the Empire writers do them the courtesy of getting the facts right.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 6
RE: Who Pays this Reviewer? Not me! - 14/5/2013 1:15:06 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

quote:

Erm...........they gave Fast Five 4 stars.

Actually they gave it three stars in the original theatrical review.

They upped it to four stars when it hit DVD after it became a box office phenomenon.Even then they said " it can not be classed in any critical way as a good film ".

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Who Pays this Reviewer? Not me! - 14/5/2013 1:46:39 AM   
azzman1984

Fast & Furious 6 is currently 100% fresh after 7 reviews http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fast_and_furious_6/

Post #: 8
RE: - 14/5/2013 7:24:00 AM   
Osric

Why are you all acting like this is a bad review?? 3 stars = good! - "itís a joy to confirm that it boasts all the jaw-dropping vehicular lunacy you might require, plus a couple of seriously bruising fist fights"... "the carmageddon still delivers"... "a gear above all the other sequels"... Yeah there are negatives too but do you expect a review of a F&F film to not have criticisms in it? They're fun but dumb. Even if you enjoy these films you can't objectively say they're brilliantly clever and inteligent! And yeah, 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, INCLUDING this review!

And also - NONE OF US HAVE SEEN IT YET!

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 9
RE: Fast & Furious 6 - 14/5/2013 9:56:19 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

Actually they gave it three stars in the original theatrical review.

They upped it to four stars when it hit DVD after it became a box office phenomenon.Even then they said " it can not be classed in any critical way as a good film ".

Well I'll have to take your word for that, I don't have a copy of the magazine to hand and all I can remember, even from the theatrical review, is four stars.

Besides, three stars is still a decent review, so the point is moot.

quote:

Even then they said " it can not be classed in any critical way as a good film ".

Well, they're right. Now don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Fast Five, but judged outside of it's humour or action sequences the film doesn't exactly shine. Lets not build the film up as some pinnacle of action cinema here, it's not Die Hard or Aliens, it's enjoyable bollocks, 3-4 stars is more than sufficient.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 14/5/2013 9:57:14 AM >

Post #: 10
- 14/5/2013 6:00:57 PM   
jace007

@ David Somerset: Nope, I do not buy Empire. Hope that lets me off the hook :-)

Post #: 11
RE: - 15/5/2013 1:40:07 PM   
Osric

quote:

ORIGINAL: jace007

@ David Somerset: Nope, I do not buy Empire. Hope that lets me off the hook :-)

Bit too intellectual for you? You'll probably get the FAST 6 IS BRILLIANT LOL GR8 review you want in Nuts or Zoo.

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 18/5/2013 9:33:51 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Usually would've gone & seen this opening day BUT! due to the fact that I've seen nearly all the action in the trailers & especially the 1 before Iron Man & Star Trek I can wait a while.

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 13
Fast. Furious. Delightfully dumb. - 18/5/2013 10:28:38 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

F&F6 bursts onto our screens like a two-and-a-half-hour car chase, soundtracked by screeching tyres, white noise and awful hip-hop. And is all the better for it.

The phrase "Leave your brain in the car park and just enjoy the ride" has never been more appropriate.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 14
Fast & Furious 6 - 19/5/2013 8:50:58 AM   
luccewada

Even better than Fast Five, although it's way more sexist

Post #: 15
Horrible - 19/5/2013 9:14:20 AM   
The kUrGaN

I can't quite bring myself to admit that I've seen the other 5. Don't get me wrong, I've never rushed to see these and always consider them a 'switch brain off' action 'fix'...but the fact remains, I have one way or another seen the whole bally lot of 'em (I still don't feel cleansed unfortunately). You see, if you can survive the horrendous script, the cliches, and the stereotypical characters it's usually just about worth it for some no-brain car filled action sequences....just. This one on the other hand has a 'script' that is so gut wrenchingly bad, so achingly cliche'd (every line will make you cringe and shudder) and the action sequences so infrequent (3 car related scenes in 2 hours) that you may find yourself self-harming without even realising (you could argue, watching it is). I'm sorry but I really can't take anymore Vin-Diesel knucklehead growling, I really can't (has he ever acted, ever?). Paul Walker's good looks alone should really have been a passport to bigger, better and more fulfilling acting roles.....but he's not interested (or really can't act), so I've given up on this notion. Seriously, just watch the action sequences which amount to about 30 minutes of the entire (epic 2hr) film, including the most ridiculous unintentionally funny finale which sees a plane attempting to take off for a full 15 minutes down a runway so outrageously long it would even see Whacky Races hanging their heads in shame. For the sake of your sanity, avoid !

< Message edited by The kUrGaN -- 19/5/2013 9:15:49 AM >

Post #: 16
The sexual tension between Rock and Vin... - 19/5/2013 4:48:23 PM   
tysmuse

is unbearable at time. Solid, ridiculous stuff. The kind of film where it doesn't matter that none of the cast can act because the dialogue is atrocious throughout! Excellent little teaser for F&F7 though.

Post #: 17
RE: The sexual tension between Rock and Vin... - 19/5/2013 6:13:40 PM   
classics_are_best

just saw f&f6 great film must see

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 18
RE: The sexual tension between Rock and Vin... - 19/5/2013 10:37:24 PM   
Cool Breeze

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW...

Just got back from seeing this and thought it was TERRIFIC fun!

In truth its not quite as good as Fast Five but its not far off.Its got everything youd want from an F&F movie, fast cars, hot women, thundering hip hop, and pure destruction on a massive scale! Its great to have Michelle Rodriguez back again and the plot is actually quite decent ( seriously! ).I was lucky enough to avoid the trailers so i didnt have any of the major action scenes spoiled for me and didnt know what to expect.

If i have any quibble, its that most of the action takes place at night and at least to me, some of it was hard to follow as to who was where and whatever, especially during the cargo plane climax.It is still terrific fun however and Vin and The Rock make a totally bad ass double act!

And what about that ending? They FINALLY acknowledge that Tokyo Drift is canon and the series has now caught up to the events of that movie.And holy shit! THE STATH is going to be the villain for the next movie!

Bring on Fast 7!

(in reply to classics_are_best)
Post #: 19
RE: The sexual tension between Rock and Vin... - 20/5/2013 7:40:17 AM   
jonson

SPOILERS

quote:

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW...

And holy shit! THE STATH is going to be the villain for the next movie!

Aaah! I haven't seen this but my daughter went to see it yesterday. I asked her when I picked her up if she'd hung around for the credits but alas, she didn't. I was curious as to who the next villain would be. Fucking brilliant! The Stath knows a top notch franchise when he sees one.

I'll probably wait for the bluray, but if it's on a par with Fast5 it'll be glorious entertainment.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 20
RE: Fast & Furious 6 - 20/5/2013 10:49:18 AM   
paulyboy

**Spoilers!**

I enjoyed it.

Overall, plot and humour wise I'd actually say it's a stronger film than Fast Five (faint praise I know), the action sequences are where it doesn't stack up quite as well, with absolutely nothing to match the vault chase from it's predecessor. That said it's still a lot of a fun.

As for the bad (and yes I realise it's stating the obvious with a film like this), it's overlong and bloated, with a script that's teeth grindingly bad in places. The Letty amnesia plot-line, which sees Brian go back to the US, is also utterly, utterly stupid, derailing the plot for 15 minutes when it should have been left on the cutting room floor.

I could also moan about the complete disregard of physics, the fact every car seems to have 17 gears, a cast with nary a scratch on them after numerous crashes wearing no seat-belts, the world's only never-ending runway and finally, the slightly unsettling amount of human collateral damage on the Spanish freeway sequence. But, that stupidity is all part of the charm to a certain extent.

The ending is also a doozy, even if it does mean the end of Han for the films, which is a shame because he's been mercifully underused in everything since Tokyo Drift, which he was bad-ass in.

3/5

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 21
RE: Fast & Furious 6 - 20/5/2013 12:12:27 PM   
jcthefirst

So, when it Fast and Furious 7 out? I need it RIGHT NOW!

Seriously though, this was great. More of the same, and stupid as anything but a hell of a lot of fun.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 22
RE: The sexual tension between Rock and Vin... - 20/5/2013 5:23:46 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

SPOILERS

quote:

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW...

And holy shit! THE STATH is going to be the villain for the next movie!

Aaah! I haven't seen this but my daughter went to see it yesterday. I asked her when I picked her up if she'd hung around for the credits but alas, she didn't. I was curious as to who the next villain would be. Fucking brilliant! The Stath knows a top notch franchise when he sees one.

I'll probably wait for the bluray, but if it's on a par with Fast5 it'll be glorious entertainment.

It's before the credits! Clearly your daughter couldn't wait to leave. Or doesn't know who The Stath is.

Jonson, you have failed as a father. I'm sorry.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 23
RE: The sexual tension between Rock and Vin... - 20/5/2013 5:27:55 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

It's before the credits! Clearly your daughter couldn't wait to leave. Or doesn't know who The Stath is.

Jonson, you have failed as a father. I'm sorry.

Clearly. I have failed.
If she left before the end, I'm disappointed (for the record she said it was brilliant) and if she doesn't know who the Stath is, poor show. Very poor.
I'm half hoping she admits to not going to the cinema at all and spending the money (I gave her) on drugs. That would be some consolation at least.

I think the only option is to make her sit and watch Shark Attack 3 and repent.
Although that's not really punishment is it?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Fast And Furious 6 - 20/5/2013 5:37:54 PM   
Timon

OR she watched the film while high on drugs (which must have been amazing) and when the Stath appeared, her brain couldn't handle the awesome and wiped the last 90 minutes from her memory.

She needs your help Jonson, not your judgement. But for good measure, make her watch Crank 1 & 2... while high on drugs.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 25
Drive Past Fast Five For The Vin - 20/5/2013 7:05:31 PM   
luccewada

It’s only May, and Furious 6 (as the director intended it to be called) is already the fourth Dwayne Johnson film released in the US. Then again, how hard can it be to make that many films, when your idea of acting is shouting, walking really really fast and throwing people in the air? That said, Johnson is joyfully fun to watch on screen, and never lets his fans down with his work. He even managed to make G.I. Joe: Retaliation that much better!

The same can be said for the acting skills of pretty much everyone in Furious 6. They shout, they run, they drive, and that’s why we love them. When I say ‘we’, I mean we people who only discovered how enjoyable these films are when we saw Fast Five (2011), the groundbreaking turning point that turned the Fast and Furious franchise into something more than just a, let’s face it, pretty much DVD-movie series of films. The reason for this shift was that Fast Five was completely different from the other films. The first four entirely consisted of underground street racing, which gets boring after a while, whilst the fifth (apart from bringing Johnson on board) was more of a heist thriller, and was much funnier.

Furious 6 is even better than Five. Obviously, that doesn’t mean it’s Citizen Kane. That doesn’t even mean it’s Star Trek Into Darkness, but what it does mean is that, if you go to the cinema on a Friday night looking for some fun, light action with humour and ‘sexy ladies’ thrown in for good luck, you’ll leave feeling content. Speaking of ‘sexy ladies’, the one real problem I did have with this film was the fact that it was a bit more misogynistic than the last entry. Although all the female characters get butt-kicking action bits to do, every shot of them starts at either their ass or breasts, and moves up. Also, do any women who spend their days running and driving need to wear thigh-high boots? It’s not very practical.

Post #: 26
RE: Fast And Furious 6 - 20/5/2013 8:12:55 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

She needs your help Jonson, not your judgement. But for good measure, make her watch Crank 1 & 2... while high on drugs.

To be fair she's not alone, with missing the ending that is, not the drugs!

The mere 30 seconds it took to read the car stunts safety spiel (after which the sequence screens) was enough for half of the packed cinema I saw it in to vacate the screening, they're like whippets round my way!

I still think Crank and drugs sounds like a good idea though, if only all kids were raised that way.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Fast And Furious 6 - 21/5/2013 11:13:22 AM   
Timon

"Dominic Torrento? You don't know me... but you will!"

Yeah Jason! You throw down!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Fast And Furious 6 - 21/5/2013 11:26:09 AM   
Wild about Wilder

While going in with some hesitation over having been shown so much gotta admit I was blown away by this instalment (& possibly the best yet?) it's just what a summer blockbuster should be Loud, Action packed & one hell of a good time. Just leave your brain at the door & sit back for 2 hours + of entertainment.
1 question though just how long was that runway???
A action fueled 8/10 role on F&F 7

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Fast And Furious 6 - 21/5/2013 7:06:41 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

OR she watched the film while high on drugs (which must have been amazing) and when the Stath appeared, her brain couldn't handle the awesome and wiped the last 90 minutes from her memory.

Don't call him that. [/arresteddevelopmentreference]

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Fast And Furious 6 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI