Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mud - 12/5/2013 11:05:11 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
What? - 12/5/2013 11:05:11 AM   
The kUrGaN

Empire, you're looking seriously deep into this film. 'Occult, Supernatural.....seriously???? The acting is decent enough, especially from the young dudes but it's nothing more than a watchable but very slow burner. Only nothing really happens.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Another blinder from Nichols - 13/5/2013 5:22:07 AM   
FoxDhoj

I'm sorry but I'm completely sold on this film. Saw it at the weekend and loved it - up there amongst the best of this year (Zero Dark Thirty, The Place Beyond The Pines, Bernie...if that counts). Masterful filmmaking, and an example of a honest, straightforward plot with nothing left out. Pitch-perfect acting, particularly from Sheridan, McConaughey and Shepard. A finely tuned piece of cinema, with just the right balance of everything to keep it human.

Post #: 3
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 16/5/2013 3:26:29 PM   
UTB

Brilliant film. Saw it this morning and can wholeheartedly say I loved every minute. I love films like these, slow burning dramas with an air of mystery, superb performances, beautiful cinematography and whilst it is a reasonably long movie, well paced.

Matthew Mahogony keeps getting better. Cant be long before he snags an award or two. Brilliant performances from the two boys, they completely draw you in to their world (and its one you always wished you had... rivers, boats, islands etc).

I have to admit I didn't care much for Nichol's last film Take Shelter. I personally felt the ending ruined the movie but there's no such balls up here.

One of the films of the year? I think so....

(in reply to FoxDhoj)
Post #: 4
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 18/5/2013 10:02:48 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Brilliant film. Saw it this morning and can wholeheartedly say I loved every minute. I love films like these, slow burning dramas with an air of mystery, superb performances, beautiful cinematography and whilst it is a reasonably long movie, well paced.

Matthew Mahogony keeps getting better. Cant be long before he snags an award or two. Brilliant performances from the two boys, they completely draw you in to their world (and its one you always wished you had... rivers, boats, islands etc).

I have to admit I didn't care much for Nichol's last film Take Shelter. I personally felt the ending ruined the movie but there's no such balls up here.

Yeah I plan on checking this out, still not seen Take Shelter. Did you see his first feature Shotgun Stories? Excellent film.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 5
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 18/5/2013 10:11:30 AM   
UTB

I haven't but I will check it out.

I think I've been overly harsh on Take Shelter. I enjoyed it, but not the ending.

But yeah, Mud, still thinking about it 2 days later..

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 6
Film of the year so far - 19/5/2013 11:17:23 PM   
ChudMonkey

Stunning film...A lovely mixture of early Spielberg filming Mark Twain on the set of Stand By Me with a wee dash of Night Of The Hunter. Absolutely essential viewing. Had a really old fashioned movie making feel where things are implied but not specifically spelled out and without the need for grandiose twists in the tale. Hell of a thing....

Post #: 7
RE: Film of the year so far - 20/5/2013 5:28:35 PM   
SarahBanks195

I loved this film I thought the acting was superb and Matthew McConaughey is definitely having his second wave! If you get my drift.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 22/5/2013 9:48:28 AM >

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 8
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 22/5/2013 9:06:27 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

I haven't but I will check it out.

I think I've been overly harsh on Take Shelter. I enjoyed it, but not the ending.

But yeah, Mud, still thinking about it 2 days later..

Oh dear afraid we disagree on Mud.

Thought it was extremely boring, clitche ridden, empity and with avenge performances at best. Would have been better with more Witherspoon and Shannon. MM mumbled too much.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 9
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 23/5/2013 2:50:14 AM   
UTB

haha

Each to their own, my friend

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 10
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 2/6/2013 4:01:15 AM   
horribleives

Aaah, I loved every second of this and just didn't want it to end. Stunning film-making and the cast (especially McConaughy and the lad who played Ellis) were superb.
I even, for once...

*SPOILER*

...totally bought the happy ending, 'cause it was just kind of deserved.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 11
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 5/7/2013 8:18:08 PM   
Will Frey

Incredible. Best Original Screenplay. Best actor, but not Matt, for the kid. A definite watch.

9.7/10

W.Frey

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 12
Top Notch - 2/8/2013 4:28:56 AM   
filterHQ

This was superb. Really good acting from everyone, especially Sheridan as Ellis. Great dialogue that makes you laugh out loud. You are rooting for the boys and the charming McConaughey all the way through. Ultimately a story about unrequited love.

Post #: 13
- 10/8/2013 8:46:46 AM   
jezy

Outstanding. Up there with stand by me.

Post #: 14
- 10/8/2013 8:46:49 AM   
jezy

Outstanding. Up there with stand by me.

Post #: 15
One of the films of the year. - 11/12/2013 12:26:31 PM   
Nicky C

If you like Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter, seek this out immediately. Mud is dramatic, romantic, mythic, thrilling and has the same raw, caring but unsentimental view of humanity that you'll find in Nichols' previous work (I liken Nichols to Kubrick in this way, but that may just be me). What's most refreshing is that it's a tale about love that I can relate to as a man (which is rarer than rocking horse poop. All men in movies seem to be gods these days and it's alienating as well as boring). Mud's a very clever and honest film about the ways that men let their love for women take over their lives, whether that love is reciprocated or not. It especially takes time to investigate how little women have to do to harm male self-image. Wonderful. I can't wait for Nichols' next one.

Post #: 16
So slow - 20/1/2014 11:39:54 PM   
tysmuse

I liked it. I liked the themes. I liked the acting. But it moves so slowly!? Like a snail on quayludes.

Post #: 17
RE: Another blinder from Nichols - 11/3/2014 6:52:10 PM   
milto

quote:

This.

If there's been a film over the past 10 years that's made me feel like a kid again, it's Mud.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Mud Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI