Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Question about The Prestige

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Question about The Prestige Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about The Prestige - 8/5/2013 5:19:23 PM   
Woger

This has been wrecking my head for a while now so hopefully someone out there can tell me if I'm right or crazy. When I first saw The Prestige I seem to remember the scene where Borden does his transported man trick consisting oh him bouncing the ball, walking into the closet and then catching the ball after coming out of the other one.
Now I've seen the film a few times since my first viewing but each time it only shows him going into one closet and not coming out of the other, did I imagine him coming out of the closet (ooh er missus) the first time?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot
Post #: 1
RE: Question about The Prestige - 8/5/2013 5:51:21 PM   
thedrin

You never see Borden's version of The Transported Man in full. It's just a really well edited film and your mind fills in the gaps. I'm certain that there are other examples in cinema where something doesn't happen on screen but people are convinced that it does. None come to mind right now, but I consider this to be one of the best examples of it. I can close my eyes right now and play the entire trick in my head as though it was shown in the film even though it never was.

What really blows my mind is trying to piece together what it was like watching that for the first time. Did I know what the whole trick looked like as soon as he stepped into the door and the scene cut, or did that knowledge slowly seep in?

I'm kind of disappointed that Inception and The Dark Knight are held in such high esteem that this superior film is overshadowed and bordering on forgotten.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 8/5/2013 5:56:01 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about The Prestige - 8/5/2013 9:32:25 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

You never see Borden's version of The Transported Man in full. It's just a really well edited film and your mind fills in the gaps. I'm certain that there are other examples in cinema where something doesn't happen on screen but people are convinced that it does. None come to mind right now, but I consider this to be one of the best examples of it. I can close my eyes right now and play the entire trick in my head as though it was shown in the film even though it never was.

What really blows my mind is trying to piece together what it was like watching that for the first time. Did I know what the whole trick looked like as soon as he stepped into the door and the scene cut, or did that knowledge slowly seep in?

I'm kind of disappointed that Inception and The Dark Knight are held in such high esteem that this superior film is overshadowed and bordering on forgotten.

I don't know the answer to the question but I agree with this soooo much. The Prestige is easily my favourite Nolan film (although I haven't seen Memento in a long time)

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about The Prestige - 8/5/2013 11:46:50 PM   
rich

Yeah just looking at it now, I don't remember it being so quick and you just getting Angier's reaction - no shot of the 2nd door opening... I know exactly what you mean. Maybe mixing it up in your head with the other version later where the doors are not facing the audience (where they hire the actor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQNYJmzTYmY

But it's totally the best film Nolan has done

< Message edited by rich -- 8/5/2013 11:49:56 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about The Prestige - 9/5/2013 6:57:56 PM   
Woger

Thanks all, I could of swore it showed him come out the other side. Really like the film and the book is well worth checking out.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about The Prestige - 10/5/2013 11:59:02 AM   
ukacidman

I agree this Nolansd best Film, and the book is very good but with a differnbet twist.

the part of the film you are refering to, ( the 2nd door opening and Borden catchinh the ball ), is showen near the end when Tagirie os fianly told by Bordenhow i he did the Transported man...

So in thery you do see the whole trick there just a bit of a 40 minute gap splitting the the 1st door clsoing and the 2nd door opening..

christ Im now gonna have to get this movie out again abd put it in to the watch list pile.

" WAKE UP TIME TO DIE
"
last 5 cinema visits 2013
The Great Gatsby 7/10
Star Trek into darkness - 8/10
Iron Man 3 ( 8/10)
Good Vibrations 8/10
Cloude Atlas 7/10

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about The Prestige - 10/5/2013 12:21:25 PM   
Dave Oz

-edit- wires crossed, lol.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 10/5/2013 12:44:40 PM >

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about The Prestige - 13/5/2013 4:37:31 PM   
burnie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ukacidman

I agree this Nolansd best Film, and the book is very good but with a differnbet twist.

the part of the film you are refering to, ( the 2nd door opening and Borden catchinh the ball ), is showen near the end when Tagirie os fianly told by Bordenhow i he did the Transported man...

So in thery you do see the whole trick there just a bit of a 40 minute gap splitting the the 1st door clsoing and the 2nd door opening..

christ Im now gonna have to get this movie out again abd put it in to the watch list pile.

This, all is explained at the end along with how he did not know which knot he tied up the assistant with. Also agree with others about this being better than Nolan's other films (haven't seen Momento and fell asleep watching Inception)

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about The Prestige - 14/5/2013 6:24:47 AM   
ScottiE

Great Movie.

My question is this, Near the start, when Borden is first dating Sarah, How does Bordens twin getvinto her apartment,and then asks her for a cup of tea.?

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to burnie)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about The Prestige - 14/5/2013 11:57:57 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: ScottiE

Great Movie.

My question is this, Near the start, when Borden is first dating Sarah, How does Bordens twin getvinto her apartment,and then asks her for a cup of tea.?

He's a magician, illusionist and escapologist, picking a lock isn't going to be much of a problem I'd have thought.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about The Prestige - 16/5/2013 12:04:36 PM   
JoeyMul

I'm a massive Chris Nolan fan, I'm often urging mates to watch Inception and Memento(everyone and their Mothers have seen the Batman trilogy). However, shockingly, I only saw The Prestige for the first time on Sunday. What a fantastic piece of filmmaking on Nolan's behalf, and Bale & Jackman as the leads do themselves and the film immense justice. I'm still reflecting on the film and trying to piece the story together, I'm pretty sure I understand the general gist. I don't think this post helped much at all regarding the original post?! Ooops.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 11
RE: Question about The Prestige - 16/5/2013 6:01:09 PM   
ScottiE

Well now you know what you have been missing. Watch it again, this is a movie which improves on repeated viewings

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to JoeyMul)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about The Prestige - 17/5/2013 8:23:57 AM   
thedrin

I'll agree with that. I thought it was very good after the first viewing but it has risen higher and higher in my estimation with each watch.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Question about The Prestige Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI