Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire's Worlds End Trailer Breakdown

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Worlds End Trailer Breakdown Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire's Worlds End Trailer Breakdown - 8/5/2013 2:45:26 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Same again... - 8/5/2013 2:45:26 PM   
badey

Group o laddy mates, a central pub theme, a sudden sci-fi burst, a little of a blonde woman who looks a bit cross, fights and special effects. Hmmm. Sounds a bit familiar. Think I may have already seen this film, by them, twice before.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Same again... - 8/5/2013 4:57:01 PM   
BelfastBoy

Mmm, the trailer's only released this morning, and Empire already has a 36 page breakdown active - quick work or advanced knowledge? I'm assuming the writer has already seen the actual film, based on the subtle (and not-so-subtle) hints throughout.

I hate myself for writing this, but if I don't, someone else will anyway. I hope the film is eventually reviewed by someone with more objectivity, rather than a Wright/Pegg fanboy/girl - I don't need to name names here. On the face of it, the new film does seem somewhat similar structurally to previous outings, and I think my enjoyment of it will depend on whether or not I enjoy the inevitable homaging of whatever genre it ends up being - what is it this time, Cloverfield, Body Snatchers, something like that? The novelty, or the angle, with the Three Cornettos films, seems to be little more than crossing the homaged genres with small-town England, and pubs in particular. But, hope I don't sound too negative. I'm not a huge fan of Shaun Of The Dead, but loved Hot Fuzz - I have an open mind, but am expecting better from Edgar Wright after Scott Pilgrim.

(in reply to badey)
Post #: 3
doppelganger. - 8/5/2013 6:22:27 PM   
ooo_ari

anyone else think the king's head looks an awful lot like michael sheen?

Post #: 4
- 9/5/2013 8:56:23 PM   
akfreshtracks

Empire ought to do a feature on which movies we should watch before going to see World's End... I enjoy the gags more if I know what films they're paying tribute to.

Post #: 5
Cornetto - 10/5/2013 1:28:05 AM   
waltham1979

It's like hundreds of Peter MacNicol's from Ghostbusters 2 running straight out from Dana Barrets hallway onto the set of Hot Fuzz!! *pushes geek glasses further onto nose* STILL looks frickin amazing and good to see a British film with British actors being disgracefully British and awesome!

Post #: 6
RE: Same again... - 10/5/2013 1:29:41 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Mmm, the trailer's only released this morning, and Empire already has a 36 page breakdown active - quick work or advanced knowledge? I'm assuming the writer has already seen the actual film, based on the subtle (and not-so-subtle) hints throughout.

I hate myself for writing this, but if I don't, someone else will anyway. I hope the film is eventually reviewed by someone with more objectivity, rather than a Wright/Pegg fanboy/girl - I don't need to name names here. On the face of it, the new film does seem somewhat similar structurally to previous outings, and I think my enjoyment of it will depend on whether or not I enjoy the inevitable homaging of whatever genre it ends up being - what is it this time, Cloverfield, Body Snatchers, something like that? The novelty, or the angle, with the Three Cornettos films, seems to be little more than crossing the homaged genres with small-town England, and pubs in particular. But, hope I don't sound too negative. I'm not a huge fan of Shaun Of The Dead, but loved Hot Fuzz - I have an open mind, but am expecting better from Edgar Wright after Scott Pilgrim.

Yea....you sound a bit too negative

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 7
RE: Same again... - 10/5/2013 10:51:24 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

Maybe, just my opinion though - no more or less valid than yours. Before going any further, it's cards on the table time - I adore Spaced / Hot Fuzz, don't like Shaun Of The Dead, or (as it's a Wright film) Scott Pilgrim. Edgar Wright has built a career out of - in the most simplistic sense - using the work of others as a jumping off point for his own work. I'd argue that Tarantino does the same thing, with even more success. Polite or sympathetic critics tend to call this 'homaging', but the counter-argument would be that something like Hot Fuzz would fail completely without the prior existence of stuff like Point Break or Bad Boys. Spaced makes no sense whatsoever unless you 'get' the references, of which there are many. For want of a better word, this is the 'shtick' - rummaging though your collection of American films, identifying the things that make them genre classics, and then transplanting these characteristics to suburban or small town England. The formula works through sheer absurdity - zombies in North London, shootouts in Somerfield etc - the mundanity of the locations and spot-on Britishisms of the characters do the rest. From what I've seen of World's End, it's more of the same. Is this a bad thing? Like I said in the earlier post, my personal taste for these films depends on whether or not I like and 'get' the genres being homaged. I'm not a fan of zombie horror, so didn't like SOTD; I loved the manner in which the pomposity of Michael Bay et al was lampooned in Hot Fuzz.

My point with the trailer breakdown was that it was astonishingly detailed and could only have been written by someone who's already seen the full film, rather than a brief trailer. No doubt it'll get a 4* / 5* review in the very near future, but that's fair enough, if that's the writer's genuine opinion. I want to make clear that I'm not of these fools who lambast the magazine for 'doing their mates favours' and upping the star ratings. That's a load of nonsense. I think it's fair to say that Chris Hewitt or Helen O'Hara are fans of Wright's work, so I think it would be helpful if the new film could be reviewed by someone who's not such a fan. When Scott Pilgrim was reviewed, it was obvious that Helen was a fan of the source material as well as the director's other works, but not everyone shared her opinions. It doesn't make her opinions less valid, but...oh, I don't know how to end this. Sorry for rambling! Need to get back to work!

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 8
Mermaid - 11/5/2013 3:46:39 PM   
pexxxy1

The scene with the sultry dancers at the school disco is in The Mermaid. How do I know? I was THERE! Pegg called me a lovely dancer :)

Post #: 9
RE: Same again... - 5/6/2013 4:32:59 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

Maybe, just my opinion though - no more or less valid than yours. Before going any further, it's cards on the table time - I adore Spaced / Hot Fuzz, don't like Shaun Of The Dead, or (as it's a Wright film) Scott Pilgrim. Edgar Wright has built a career out of - in the most simplistic sense - using the work of others as a jumping off point for his own work. I'd argue that Tarantino does the same thing, with even more success. Polite or sympathetic critics tend to call this 'homaging', but the counter-argument would be that something like Hot Fuzz would fail completely without the prior existence of stuff like Point Break or Bad Boys. Spaced makes no sense whatsoever unless you 'get' the references, of which there are many. For want of a better word, this is the 'shtick' - rummaging though your collection of American films, identifying the things that make them genre classics, and then transplanting these characteristics to suburban or small town England. The formula works through sheer absurdity - zombies in North London, shootouts in Somerfield etc - the mundanity of the locations and spot-on Britishisms of the characters do the rest. From what I've seen of World's End, it's more of the same. Is this a bad thing? Like I said in the earlier post, my personal taste for these films depends on whether or not I like and 'get' the genres being homaged. I'm not a fan of zombie horror, so didn't like SOTD; I loved the manner in which the pomposity of Michael Bay et al was lampooned in Hot Fuzz.

My point with the trailer breakdown was that it was astonishingly detailed and could only have been written by someone who's already seen the full film, rather than a brief trailer. No doubt it'll get a 4* / 5* review in the very near future, but that's fair enough, if that's the writer's genuine opinion. I want to make clear that I'm not of these fools who lambast the magazine for 'doing their mates favours' and upping the star ratings. That's a load of nonsense. I think it's fair to say that Chris Hewitt or Helen O'Hara are fans of Wright's work, so I think it would be helpful if the new film could be reviewed by someone who's not such a fan. When Scott Pilgrim was reviewed, it was obvious that Helen was a fan of the source material as well as the director's other works, but not everyone shared her opinions. It doesn't make her opinions less valid, but...oh, I don't know how to end this. Sorry for rambling! Need to get back to work!

*Puts on best Samuel L Jackson voice* "you make an interesting point..."

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Worlds End Trailer Breakdown Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI