Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VIDEO]

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VIDEO] Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VIDEO] - 6/5/2013 6:08:51 PM   
Padraic Coffey

Saw this video and got to thinking, is Dirty Harry the most influential cop thriller ever made? Some might say Orson Welles' Touch of Evil pips it, but I'm not sure.

Just look at some of the films that have been inspired by it since its release - Die Hard with a Vengeance, Lethal Weapon 2, Manhunter, LA Confidential, Se7en, Point Break, Speed. It's incredible!

What do others think? Be sure to check out the video.

And I know the 'badge tossing' scene was first used in High Noon...
Post #: 1
RE: Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VI... - 6/5/2013 7:27:24 PM   
directorscut

How exactly are those films inspired by Dirty Harry?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Padraic Coffey)
Post #: 2
RE: Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VI... - 6/5/2013 8:25:52 PM   
Padraic Coffey

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

How exactly are those films inspired by Dirty Harry?

EDITED Repeated personal link removed.

Could you please stop advertising your own youtube upload? Empire doesn't allow self-advertising - you could make your case here rather directing people off-site to your own youtube account. I'd also add, you'd have to argue that none of these things ever happened before Dirty Harry or were so significant they created tropes.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 7/5/2013 9:56:00 AM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 3
RE: Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VI... - 7/5/2013 9:56:19 PM   
Mr Gittes

I'll agree that it's more influential than many people would think. And I remember how blown away I was when I first saw it, because I was expecting just a Lethal Weapon type action movie and what I got was a bold and dark serial killer thriller with a deeply sadistic villain.

i don't know about it being the most influential, but it is a great movie. So much more than just that .44 Magnum speech.

(in reply to Padraic Coffey)
Post #: 4
RE: Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VI... - 7/5/2013 10:11:54 PM   
DancingClown

I always considered French Connection and Bullitt to be perhaps the most 'influentia'l of so-called cop films. And I agree with Mr Gittes about DH feeling a lot more like a dark and edgy thriller about hunting a serial killer as opposed to good ole' cops and robbers.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Dirty Harry: Most influential cop thiller ever? [VIDEO] Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI