Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dead Man Down - 5/5/2013 11:48:11 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Unusual thriller - 5/5/2013 11:48:11 PM   
bretty

Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. A revenge thriller and a tiny bit of a love story and it does work. Takes a little while to settle into it but once it hits it's stride it is pretty good I have to say.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 9/5/2013 11:03:18 AM   
Whistler

I thought it was fine. Nothing particularly spectacular, but the script, acting and action was all good, and it's less generic than the trailer suggests.

Post #: 3
Dead Man Down - 8/6/2013 2:53:12 PM   
Conboy

http://filmfanboy.com/dead-man-down/

Niels Arden Oplev”s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a terrific thriller primarily because the central characters were compelling and the resolution was deeply satisfying. Unfortunately his follow-up featuring Tattoo’s Noomi Repace and Colin Farrell is devoid of most of the things that made Tattoo so memorable. Like so many foreign Directors who make the leap to American filmmaking the Swedish director stumbles. Most of the fault lies in the screenplay that lacks the complexity and richness of the earlier work.

The film is all about revenge and what it does to you. It focuses on two tormented souls committed to seeking justice for heinous crimes. Victor (Colin Farrell) works for a criminal enterprise in New York who’s leader is the unusually named Alphonse (Terrence Howard), when his neighbor Beatrice (Rapace) spots him strangling a man, she threatens to tell the police. She will keep her secret as long as he murders the drunk driver who left her with a badly scarred face (she still looks beautiful under the scars). But the plot is further complicated by someone killing off his gang and some mysterious Albanians lurking on the periphery. Twists follow as the bad guys are mailed pieces of a puzzle that will lead to the identity of their enemy. In the mix is the family oriented small time hood Darcy (Cooper) who is getting closer to the truth behind the films mystery.

The cast seem lost; Farrell is frozen in time as Victor, an Irishmen playing a Hungarian with an American accent. His introverted sullenness makes his character dull which I guess was not the filmmaker’s intention. Rapace doesn’t fare much better she’s a swede playing French. Her outburst early in the film justifying her vengeful plans is way over the top with its histrionics. Then the great Isabelle Huppert appears playing her hearing-impaired mum who makes great cookies and wants her Tupperware back. These strange mo

Post #: 4
This is not a review - 13/10/2013 2:54:41 AM   
AIR1980

I am not here to comment on a film that I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed. Instead I have to comment on the appalling review that has been written for this film. Mr Newman (a man that most of us have great great respect and time for) has spent most of this review just showing off his background knowledge rather than reviewing the film. It comes across as overly dismissive and unduly critical of both actors in such a way that it gives little insight into the film. His comparisons to the film, that discuss Howard's character, are interesting, but seem to focus on an element that is less relevant to the core of the film that he never actually discusses (and no I don not mean the revelation that occurs part way through the film). I feel that little in the way of information can be gleaned about this film from Mr Newman's apparent critique, and I would hope that he decides to spend a little more time on the job in hand come the next review so that we can learn something from a man who has previously shown such integrity to the medium and genre.

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dead Man Down Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI