Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Trek Into Darkness

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek Into Darkness Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek Into Darkness - 29/4/2013 4:14:23 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Hope JJ Abrams takes Cumberbatch with him to Star Wars VII - 29/4/2013 4:14:23 PM   
acertree

Cumberbatch working on Star Wars with JJ would be a match made in heaven. I've got my fingers crossed as they loved working together and JJ prefers to work with people he likes and respects.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Excellent - 29/4/2013 4:27:30 PM   
garymakin

Looks like this will be the first time two Star Trek films have gotten good reviews twice in a row.

Post #: 3
4stars? - 29/4/2013 9:47:40 PM   
paulmitchell

Same rating as ironman 3.come on empire,ironman 3 was 3 stars at most,I can't understand how ,your reviews are shit

Post #: 4
Answers To Nothing - 29/4/2013 10:46:28 PM   
newguy

Who is "John Harrison"? If he is indeed a made character for the film? That's stupid. Star Trek has hundreds of villains to pick from. The trailer makes this "John Harrison" character appear as if he has superhuman abilities. This review doesn't even address this. Why is the movie called "Into Darkness"? So many questions. Zero answers.

Post #: 5
Predictable rating! - 30/4/2013 12:06:06 AM   
dseys

The 4 stars were certain. Just like they were for Iron Man 3. So now i wonder if Man of Steel could be the 5 stars blockbuster of the summer?

(in reply to newguy)
Post #: 6
I like this ship it's exciting! - 30/4/2013 2:32:47 AM   
Rebelbumscum

Ok first off I just have to say it, true to my geekdom, the Prime Directive is not to 'not interfere with alien cultures' but to not interfere with pre-warp civilisations/cultures. So as not to affect their development... Now that's out of the way. I'm cautiously optimistic about this film again, I know Empire is fond of 4 stars but I will trust the Empire and wait and see.
However regarding previous Star Trek reviews, how did First Contact (ie Borg/Jean Luc Blow up the Damn Ship/NOOOOOOOOOO!) get only 3 stars and Insurrection (Data, Worf, Picard triode/data inflatable/extreme face lift people) get 4 stars? Also Generations 2?! I mean yes Counsellor Troi shouldn't be allowed a helm console, the ship that survived everything is taken down by a second hand klingon ship run by dominatrix', and Kirk death is like Say Whaaat?! BUT Data says shit which makes it 3 stars. Just some thoughts Empire, I will gladly review your star trek/sci fi films for you ;)

Post #: 7
- 30/4/2013 8:47:28 AM   
NateDrake007

why would you want all the answers in a review???

Post #: 8
Ironman 3 was 3 stars at best - 30/4/2013 10:17:20 AM   
ronniem

Empire's star rating is getting waaay too predictable these days...especially when it comes to a film they've been hyping for months...I knew it was 4 stars before I read the review.

Post #: 9
JJ - 30/4/2013 10:34:19 AM   
bradcam72

If this is just 4 stars did Abrams really deserve in excess of 70 pages in last month's magazine. The guy has only made 2 decent movies (Star Trek and MI3), maybe this is a third. You managed to make this film a damp squib with your Abrams overkill.

Post #: 10
RE: JJ - 30/4/2013 10:47:47 AM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradcam72

If this is just 4 stars did Abrams really deserve in excess of 70 pages in last month's magazine. The guy has only made 2 decent movies (Star Trek and MI3), maybe this is a third. You managed to make this film a damp squib with your Abrams overkill.

Well he's only Directed three, not including this one.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I don't like him much at all.

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to bradcam72)
Post #: 11
what is this thing you call...Star Wars?? - 30/4/2013 12:17:07 PM   
leroythemasochist

i thought this was a Star TREK review?!
Not that I'm complaining mind you, I always liked the original series when I was a kid and the Next Gen was good fun (if a bit po-faced and worthy at times) but Star Wars will always be where it's at (daddy-o).
For a while you had me, talking about the Star Trek characters and what they do etc etc but then, right at the end you just couldn't help yourselves and you let the tribble out of the bag.
You mentioned Star Wars and how awesome it's gonna be if JJ get's his head down and doesn't try to be all reverent what's gone before. And thank you for that, because us oldies who were around in 77 NEED a big blockbuster that's worth cheering for. We need Star Wars back, front and centre, kicking in doors and shooting first. We don't want stuff about trade federations or big Brian Blessed frogs - we want the spirit of Han Solo riding in the the rescue in 2015!! Please do it JJ. Reach out with your FEELINGS!
oh yeah, deffo be going to check out Da Trek - looks like a total blast!!

Post #: 12
RE: 4stars? - 30/4/2013 12:29:38 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulmitchell

Same rating as ironman 3.come on empire,ironman 3 was 3 stars at most,I can't understand how ,your reviews are shit

Stop reading them then.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to paulmitchell)
Post #: 13
RE: JJ - 30/4/2013 1:12:27 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradcam72

Err, 4* actually means it's a very good film. What were you expecting, a true masterpiece to live through the ages like Citizen Kane? The review makes it perfectly clear why the film didn't get the fifth star. Also, 70 pages in last month's magazine doesn't automatically equate to a favourable review, when are people going to accept this? If nothing else, it's an insult to the magazine's integrity. Empire gives the filmmakers every opportunity to publicise their upcoming work, but if the film's not up to scratch, the review will reflect that. In any case, each review is one person's opinion, not that of a committee. Pretty much the first issue of Empire I ever bought had a huge, favourable feature on Van Helsing - yet that film still got the review it actually deserved (2*, I think).

< Message edited by BelfastBoy -- 30/4/2013 1:14:26 PM >

(in reply to bradcam72)
Post #: 14
empire love - 30/4/2013 11:15:37 PM   
stavb105

what up with all the haters?why be a member of the site just to sh@t-can it?i for one loved the jj coverage in the last Empire, and as they have stated in the past Empire is about the anticipation of films, not the final result.I actually thought Star Trek was a five star film, Ian Freer gave it four but any other empire staff member may of had a different opinion.And that is what its all about, other peoples opinion.Keep up the great work Empire, i have enjoyed my 12 years of reading.....

Post #: 15
empire love - 30/4/2013 11:15:39 PM   
stavb105

what up with all the haters?why be a member of the site just to sh@t-can it?i for one loved the jj coverage in the last Empire, and as they have stated in the past Empire is about the anticipation of films, not the final result.I actually thought Star Trek was a five star film, Ian Freer gave it four but any other empire staff member may of had a different opinion.And that is what its all about, other peoples opinion.Keep up the great work Empire, i have enjoyed my 12 years of reading.....

Post #: 16
Brilliant - 1/5/2013 1:38:21 PM   
Lord Midas

Star Trek was my film of the year in 2009. Looks like it'll be my film of the year in 2013. Roll on Saturday 11th. Unlike a lot of people on these forums who quite clearly don't like movies, I think Star Trek was immensely enjoyable, fun and action packed. Just perfect.

Post #: 17
RE: Answers To Nothing - 2/5/2013 11:41:38 AM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: newguy

Who is "John Harrison"? If he is indeed a made character for the film? That's stupid. Star Trek has hundreds of villains to pick from. The trailer makes this "John Harrison" character appear as if he has superhuman abilities. This review doesn't even address this. Why is the movie called "Into Darkness"? So many questions. Zero answers.

"that's stupid"???
No, what i find "stupid" is people that expect the full plot to a film not yet released in a review.
I for one would be extremely annoyed if i had read the review and now knew every plot point throughout the film before i had even seen a film i am looking forward to.
If you want to know the answer to your questions go and bloody see it!!!!

< Message edited by snaze1 -- 2/5/2013 11:43:11 AM >

(in reply to newguy)
Post #: 18
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 2/5/2013 12:34:32 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

It's a review of the flick. A review shouldn't be a blow by blow breakdown of the story.

I suppose if the writer gave away so many spoilers you'd be complaining about that too, wouldn't you?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to newguy)
Post #: 19
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 2/5/2013 1:33:55 PM   
C.C.C.P.

I'd say Empire is being generous, I'd have expected 3 stars from them, perhaps it's a 3 1/2 and they're rounding up.Into Darkness is fun to watch but leaves a bitter after-taste as more flaws become apparent on reflection - from gaping plot holes to clumsy execution of arcs to an overabundance of callbacks to previous Trek films, including Abrams' own. Benedict Charismabatch chews the scenery but gave a wonderful performance, great interactions with Chris' Kirk - in fact eclipsing him at times, unfortunately.You're almost left wondering who is meant to be the lead and who you're meant to root for in much of Act 3.
It's definitely got plenty of positives though such as the chemistry of the ensemble (who generally get more quality screen time), some clever lines (particularly when they aren't just lifted wholesale), and impressive set-pieces despite the lens-flare which particularly fails with 3D. While I often enjoy 3D movies this is probably one you're better off enjoying in 2D.

I'd give this film a 6.5/10

And they totally mixed up what trans-warp means in which context...

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 20
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 3/5/2013 7:09:16 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: C.C.C.P.

I'd say Empire is being generous, I'd have expected 3 stars from them, perhaps it's a 3 1/2 and they're rounding up.Into Darkness is fun to watch but leaves a bitter after-taste as more flaws become apparent on reflection - from gaping plot holes to clumsy execution of arcs to an overabundance of callbacks to previous Trek films, including Abrams' own. Benedict Charismabatch chews the scenery but gave a wonderful performance, great interactions with Chris' Kirk - in fact eclipsing him at times, unfortunately.You're almost left wondering who is meant to be the lead and who you're meant to root for in much of Act 3.
It's definitely got plenty of positives though such as the chemistry of the ensemble (who generally get more quality screen time), some clever lines (particularly when they aren't just lifted wholesale), and impressive set-pieces despite the lens-flare which particularly fails with 3D. While I often enjoy 3D movies this is probably one you're better off enjoying in 2D.

I'd give this film a 6.5/10

And they totally mixed up what trans-warp means in which context...

Have you seen it yet? When and where? You lucky person!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to C.C.C.P.)
Post #: 21
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 3/5/2013 7:16:33 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Exactly. The problem over the years is perhaps dishing out 5 stars willy nilly to films that really are only 3 stars.

Yes, their views should have a direct correlation to your own. Yeah, that isn't unreasonable at all.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 22
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 3/5/2013 7:18:27 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

It's a review of the flick. A review shouldn't be a blow by blow breakdown of the story.

I suppose if the writer gave away so many spoilers you'd be complaining about that too, wouldn't you?

Exactly. A review should contain what the reviewer liked and disliked about the movie and not the flaming plot. Yes give a basic outline of what the film is about, but don't give away anything.

I do despise some of the film reviews that posters put on Empire that do basically tell us the exact plot. Just keep it simple and tell us what you like and do not like!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 23
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 4/5/2013 12:30:28 AM   
directorscut

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Sound like another dumb action flick instead of a real Star Trek film.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 24
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 4/5/2013 1:09:38 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Exactly. The problem over the years is perhaps dishing out 5 stars willy nilly to films that really are only 3 stars.

Yes, their views should have a direct correlation to your own. Yeah, that isn't unreasonable at all.

And isn't the stars complaint in the Iron Man thread the opposite? Not giving out 5 stars, all 3s and 4s?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 25
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 4/5/2013 9:41:36 PM   
siegfried

Into Darkness deserves the four star rating it's been given. It's at once exciting, suspenseful, funny and a visual treat. I felt with this entry into the franchise that the cast were really beginning to come into their own.
Benedict Cumberbatch, for whom I've long had a considerable respect, turns in a chilling performance and pretty much walks away with the acting honours.
Let's hope that whoever takes over helming the series from here is able to maintain the same high standard.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
Meh Trek! - 4/5/2013 9:54:29 PM   
J_BUltimatum

If you are a "Trekkie" you will enjoy this but as a film, it's pretty generic and doesn't offer anything new or more enjoyable as say Olympus Has Fallen. I wouldn't defer anyone from going for it but I certainly wouldn't recommend it over anything else. Plus if you are going to give yourself the weekend to write a review, at least make it well written!!!

Post #: 27
RE: Meh Trek! - 4/5/2013 10:43:33 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: J_BUltimatum

If you are a "Trekkie" you will enjoy this but as a film, it's pretty generic and doesn't offer anything new or more enjoyable as say Olympus Has Fallen. I wouldn't defer anyone from going for it but I certainly wouldn't recommend it over anything else. Plus if you are going to give yourself the weekend to write a review, at least make it well written!!!

I doubt any Trekkie wants Olympus Has Fallen in Trek clothing.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to J_BUltimatum)
Post #: 28
RE: Answers To Nothing - 5/5/2013 12:55:06 PM   
J_BUltimatum

They did that with there Iron Man 3 review though...
quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

"that's stupid"???
No, what i find "stupid" is people that expect the full plot to a film not yet released in a review.
I for one would be extremely annoyed if i had read the review and now knew every plot point throughout the film before i had even seen a film i am looking forward to.
If you want to know the answer to your questions go and bloody see it!!!!

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 29
RE: Star Trek Into Darkness - 5/5/2013 6:46:39 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

quote:

It's nothing to do with my own opinion, perhaps you didnt get the point that was being made. If Empire give a film 4 stars the that means it is still a good film.

The point I was making, that perhaps you missed, is that 5 stars should be quite rare, but due to the "unmissable" criteria Empire dish out far more than most critics would.

There are many cases of films that were given 5 stars because they were deemed unmissable, in that, that week you had to go see that film. It had nothing to do with the quality of the movie. Rather it was in part to do with the hype, the buzz, or even the FX of a film, as well as how good the film may have been. Empire have admitted this many times before.

It is an easy mistake to make.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek Into Darkness Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI