Lethal Weapon 5

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Lethal Weapon 5 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lethal Weapon 5 - 26/4/2013 3:33:54 PM   
jackcarter

isnt a thread for this in here is there?

anyway was reading the new Shane Black IM3 interview:
quote:

Lethal Weapon 5 was on your radar as a directorial project at one point, wasn't it?
Black: Yeah it was. There were two films - Lethal Weapon 5, which was actively going at one point and The Cold Warrior, both of which were to star Mel Gibson. I guess it was not too long ago that I was writing The Cold Warrior, I was meeting with Mel every afternoon and he was dating this girl named Oksana and then all of a sudden things blew up. That went south, so two movies that potentially were available didn't happen.

Feige: Did you write a draft of Lethal Weapon 5?

Black: I wrote a 70-page treatment with every single beat and dialogue. It was in New York in the worst blizzard in living history. Mel Gibson would have to go to a kibbutz for three years to be allowed back into Hollywood. Robert did a bunch of drugs and slept with dubious people, he didn't insult racial groups. You don't come back from that.

Feige: It hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned Lethal Weapon 5, but there is a fun Riggs/Murtaugh Tony/Rhodey element to this.

dosnt seem likely from that but i still wonder if theres any chance of LW5 still happening with Mel Gibson in the next few years? I like the idea of LW in a blizzard ravaged NYC.. Danny Glover wouldnt have to be in it if he didnt want to (maybe a cameo but nothing more) - for a change Riggs could be like McClane in DH1/2 going it alone, or maybe pair up with someone else if need be. S Black could direct.

it dosnt seem right there are now 5 Die Hards but only 4 LWs!

i hope they choose to do LW5 instead of the rumoured reboot

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 26/4/2013 3:45:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 26/4/2013 3:39:47 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

isnt a thread for this iin here is there?

quote:

Lethal Weapon 5 was on your radar as a directorial project at one point, wasn't it?
Black: Yeah it was. There were two films - Lethal Weapon 5, which was actively going at one point and The Cold Warrior, both of which were to star Mel Gibson. I guess it was not too long ago that I was writing The Cold Warrior, I was meeting with Mel every afternoon and he was dating this girl named Oksana and then all of a sudden things blew up. That went south, so two movies that potentially were available didn't happen.

Black: I wrote a 70-page treatment with every single beat and dialogue. It was in New York in the worst blizzard in living history. Mel Gibson would have to go to a kibbutz for three years to be allowed back into Hollywood. Robert did a bunch of drugs and slept with dubious people, he didn't insult racial groups. You don't come back from that.

Feige: It hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned Lethal Weapon 5, but there is a fun Riggs/Murtaugh Tony/Rhodey element to this.

dosnt seem likely from that but i still wonder if theresany chance of LW5 still happening with Mel Gibson in the next few years? I like the idea of LW in a blizzard ravaged NYC. S Black could direct. Danny Glover wouldnt have to be in it if he didnt want to (maybe a cameo but nothing more) - for a change Riggs could be like McClane in DH1/2 going it alone, or maybe pair up with someone else if need be. S Black could direct.

Three Die Hards would have been enough, 4 is average and I only liked 5 because I was in denial; it really is very bad.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 2
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 27/4/2013 11:08:21 PM   
jackcarter

of course but now theres 5 (soon to be 6 no doubt) LW should catch up

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 3
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 28/4/2013 12:59:39 PM   
ElephantBoy

Black should be above this.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 4
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 28/4/2013 4:02:03 PM   
Private Hudson

Lethal Weapon was never in the same league as Die Hard.

4 LW is probably 3 too many.

I like DH 1-4. That last one is so OTT and full of mistakes that I'm doing an Alien 3 with it and pretending it doesn't exist.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 28/4/2013 4:56:57 PM   
Cool Breeze

They should just leave it alone now.

Same with Ghostbusters.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 6
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 11:47:03 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Lethal Weapon was never in the same league as Die Hard.4 LW is probably 3 too many.

I like DH 1-4. That last one is so OTT and full of mistakes that I'm doing an Alien 3 with it and pretending it doesn't exist.

The first one was, well maybe not quite as good, but still for its genre a stand out film.

Post #: 7
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 12:03:46 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Lethal Weapon was never in the same league as Die Hard.4 LW is probably 3 too many.

The first one was, well maybe not quite as good, but still for its genre a stand out film.

No. It wasn't.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 8
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 12:06:02 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

No. It wasn't.

Yeah cos thats a great way to back up your argument. Either explain or don't comment.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 9
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 12:06:37 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

Agreed!

The first one is an exceptional action film! Maybe not quite up with Die Hard but what is. Lethal Weapon probably came closer than anything else… and while we’re talking LW, they need to bring back heavy use of the saxophone in motion picture scores!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

Post #: 10
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 12:12:48 PM   
ElephantBoy

I just think the pacing of the script and atmosphere of the frist film is what makes it stand out. Its odd to think too that it can be called a christmas movie and yet you don't think of it as such.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 11
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 12:39:37 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. It wasn't.

Yeah cos thats a great way to back up your argument. Either explain or don't comment.

Because you really went out of your way to explain why you do think LW is the Liverpool to DH's United

Seriously though this isn't a huge issue for me and it wasn't my intention to start a DH v LW argument, I like LW but I don't really think it's comparable to DH as I kind of see them as different genres. For me LW is far more of a buddy cop movie rather than an all out action movie, their are serious issues but it's quite light hearted and comedic at times (not necessarily a criticism) whereas DH is more serious and also more suspenseful (is DH even an all out action movie?). I still think DH is much better though as I think the overall story and characters are better.

One thing that really annoys me about LW is the fight between Riggs and Busey at the end and all the cops just decide to stand around and watch; I know cop movies take certain liberties when it comes to depicting what's legal, etc but it was just really poor writing. It just seemed like Black couldn't think of a way for that fight to happen so he just shoehorned it in.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 12
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 12:41:59 PM   
musht

quote:

I just think the pacing of the script and atmosphere of the frist film is what makes it stand out. Its odd to think too that it can be called a christmas movie and yet you don't think of it as such.

I do agree with this ... except for that minor issue I outlined above but apart from that I really like LW

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 13
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 12:50:15 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

isnt a thread for this iin here is there?

quote:

dosnt seem likely from that but i still wonder if theresany chance of LW5 still happening with Mel Gibson in the next few years? I like the idea of LW in a blizzard ravaged NYC. S Black could direct. Danny Glover wouldnt have to be in it if he didnt want to (maybe a cameo but nothing more) - for a change Riggs could be like McClane in DH1/2 going it alone, or maybe pair up with someone else if need be. S Black could direct.

Three Die Hards would have been enough, 4 is average and I only liked 5 because I was in denial; it really is very bad.

one Die Hard was enough, a classic and all the sequels have been utter shit. I enjoyed Gibson in the recent How I spent my Summer, but would prefer a reboot than to see him dragged out as riggs again.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 14
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 1:14:50 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

Because you really went out of your way to explain why you do think LW is the Liverpool to DH's United
Seriously though this isn't a huge issue for me and it wasn't my intention to start a DH v LW argument, I like LW but I don't really think it's comparable to DH as I kind of see them as different genres. For me LW is far more of a buddy cop movie rather than an all out action movie, their are serious issues but it's quite light hearted and comedic at times (not necessarily a criticism) whereas DH is more serious and also more suspenseful (is DH even an all out action movie?). I still think DH is much better though as I think the overall story and characters are better.

LW has always been tied to DH in a few ways -

similar years (trilogy - 87/88, 89/90, 92/95, belated 4th entry - 97/07), Riggs/McClanes B92F, Joel Silver, Michael Karmen, the buddy aspect of DH3 and the rumours it originally started out as a LW script, McClanes cameo in Loaded Weapon 1, the LW2 advert in DH2 (which annoyingly means they arent set in the same universe - DH is 'reality', LW is fiction....although itd be cool to see a LW/DH team up in comic form)

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 15
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 4:22:27 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

one Die Hard was enough, a classic and all the sequels have been utter shit. I enjoyed Gibson in the recent How I spent my Summer, but would prefer a reboot than to see him dragged out as riggs again.

Me too.. although that title over here was sh!te! In America it was called Get the Gringo!  Aces

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 16
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 4:34:52 PM   
AxlReznor

Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 are definitely not as good as the first two, but I think all four of them are great fun. Lethal Weapon 2 is my favourite of them.

It's a shame that Mel's pretty much burned all of his bridges now... he was given plenty of chances and screwed up every one of them. I don't see a Lethal Weapon 5 working. Danny Glover is essential to a Lethal Weapon movie, and there's no way Murtaugh's still not retired.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 17
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 2/5/2013 5:05:04 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 are definitely not as good as the first two, but I think all four of them are great fun. Lethal Weapon 2 is my favourite of them.

It's a shame that Mel's pretty much burned all of his bridges now... he was given plenty of chances and screwed up every one of them. I don't see a Lethal Weapon 5 working. Danny Glover is essential to a Lethal Weapon movie, and there's no way Murtaugh's still not retired.

Riggs and Chris Rock's character

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 18
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 3/5/2013 4:04:06 PM   
ElephantBoy

Have nothing against Die Hard I think the first one is pretty much a master class in action film making. However I also found Lethal Weapon very enjoyable, with a sharp and edgy script and good characters.

I have no interest in a fifth part.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 19
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 6/5/2013 11:03:33 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

Totally agree that LW2 is the best of them.

But did a previous poster suggest that Murtaugh should only have a cameo?

Seriously, it's a double act, people!

Say what now?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 20
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 7/5/2013 9:34:41 AM   
jackcarter

yeah but Die Hard was supposed to be a one man thing yet 3/4/5 he teamed up LW style

a Riggs/Gibson only LW would do the reverse of DH and at least be abit different in focusing on the 'lethal weapon'

but they'll probably end up doing a reboot with Riggs having done his time in Iraq instead of Nam like The A Team (and like that probably showing him there for the opening 20 mins in a Martin Riggs Begins superhero origin type way)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 7/5/2013 12:42:24 PM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 21
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 8/5/2013 12:58:35 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

quote:

I'll give you that the first one was a superior cop/action movie. Still not as good as the original Die Hard, but it was probably Mel Gibson's best ever film...

Nah. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior still takes that for me.

But again, only my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

Post #: 22
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 8/5/2013 12:59:51 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

Anything to do with Patsy Kensit? LOL.

I always laugh at the end of that film. "Deeplomartic Eemuneety"

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 23
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 9/5/2013 10:33:58 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

Anything to do with Patsy Kensit? LOL.

I always laugh at the end of that film. "Deeplomartic Eemuneety"

That is part of it, yes.
I also think the action is better, and includes the introduction of Leo Getz before he just became irritating, and before the cast became too large (Rene Russo and Chris Rock were too much in my opinion).

That said, I actually think Jet Li's performance in Lethal Weapon 4 is a highlight of the series, despite the film falling well short of the first two.

Post #: 24
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 9/5/2013 11:16:12 AM   
DancingClown

Am I alone in thinking that the climactic fight at the end of LW4 is actually a highlight of the series? The uncut version, of course. And I do prefer 4 to 3.

But as others have said I think LW5 is rather unlikely now considering Mel's baggage. There's always a chance of a reboot but the buddy/buddy formula no longer seems fresh enough to be exciting.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 25
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 9/5/2013 11:19:27 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Am I alone in thinking that the climactic fight at the end of LW4 is actually a highlight of the series? The uncut version, of course. And I do prefer 4 to 3.

But as others have said I think LW5 is rather unlikely now considering Mel's baggage. There's always a chance of a reboot but the buddy/buddy formula no longer seems fresh enough to be exciting.

You're not alone in that. And I think 4 is better than 3, too. Except for the last 15 minutes.
The look on Mel's face when he realises Leo's found a rabbi to officiate the emergency wedding ceremony is just unfortunate nowadays, but it's also just far too long of a sequence after the actual conflict is over.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 26
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 9/5/2013 11:28:39 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

Danny Glover is essential to a Lethal Weapon movie, and there's no way Murtaugh's still not retired.

Funnily enough Glover was always playing Murtaugh nearly 10 years older than his own age, so whilst it might seem a little silly in the films (Murtaugh would be well in his seventies by now) Glover isn't that old just yet, no older than Stallone & Arnie at least.

Mind you there's nothing to say a fifth film would have to track alongside the years since 4 in real-time.

I like all the LW films, the first is still the best in my opinion with the other three changing preference depending what mood I'm in, bizarrely the second one is probably the one I enjoy least overall, despite the fact it's a lot of people's favourite.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 27
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 9/5/2013 11:46:08 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

You're not alone in that. And I think 4 is better than 3, too. Except for the last 15 minutes.
The look on Mel's face when he realises Leo's found a rabbi to officiate the emergency wedding ceremony is just unfortunate nowadays, but it's also just far too long of a sequence after the actual conflict is over.

Oh yeah, that ending in the hospital is a pile of steaming, cheesy pants; so best to leave them there. Although I did like Leo's speech about his pet frog, bizarrely, probably because it was so left-field. I'd forgotten about the rabbi. I remember Leo saying earlier to Chris Rock: "hey, German jews didn't have it easy, either, ya know!" Mel's face is in frame, and now I'm wondering what was going through his head at that moment.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 28
RE: Lethal Weapon 5 - 9/5/2013 2:39:52 PM   
Cool Breeze

Why does this thread exist? There is not going to be a Lethal Weapon 5.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Lethal Weapon 5 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI