Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Lords Of Salem - 26/4/2013 11:57:10 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!! - 29/4/2013 11:02:57 AM   
DAPPY44

Typical Empire giving this movie 2 stars and crap like the cabin in the woods gets a positive review. RIDICULOUS!.
How about you get someone who actually appreciates the genre and not some Joss Whedon dick sucker to view it.

I thought the movie was fantastic, Great story and finally a film without stupid vampires.

GREAT MOVIE! CHECK IT OUT!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Lords Of Salem - 1/5/2013 7:06:25 AM   
Nifty_Films

I watched it the other night and liked it. Normally I don't like Rob Zombie's films, so you know something has got to be different about it. Here is my review.
http://niftyfilms.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/review-the-lords-of-salem/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!! - 12/11/2013 10:33:52 PM   
YouWillBeUnprepared

I'm surprised that Empire didn't grant this movie a one star, so typical of Empire being too generous. Whilst I love Rob Zombie and his films, this one did not surpass the level of quality he promised. Cabin In The Woods is a film of actual quality, because it doesn't lack in story-telling, writing, pacing, acting, etc... Clearly you just didn't like the movie but there's a difference between a good film and a cool film. The Lords Of Salem started off strongly, with nice pacing and editing. The writing was fairly okay, keeping up the pace and the tone of the editing. Sheri-Moon was a delight to watch as always, and the witch-trial scenes had some actual disturbing affect on me. Meg Foster was nothing short of incredible, and probably the greatest casting choice next to the delightful Dee Wallace. Here the film draws you in nicely, and with some of the bizarre imagery in really created an unforgettable atmosphere. Then it reached the half-way point, and then it started to get a little repetitious. There were a little too many bizarre visual sequences that always ended with Heidi waking up screaming. The film loses sight of its plot slightly, focusing on Heidi going mad with abstract imagery but nothing much else. The glint of hope was Bruce Davidson's character of Francis, who was now responsible for carrying the rest of the story, until he was murdered by the witches with a frying pan. Now, there's no story at all, and the weird imagery whilst visually appealing just becomes exhausting with all of it's negative vibes and before too long, has a miserable ending that left no glint of of happiness or resolve for the audience. Roll the end credits, and the audience feels like they had no resolve from the ending and are still trying to contemplate what they just witnessed, whilst at the same time feeling like the ending made the whole film a pointless watch, when the first half seemed so promising. For Rob zombie this was a huge step up and we can at least appreciate his attempt at something new, but that's it; there's virtually nothing to gain here. No moral or fable like any good story. Rob's forte was clearly slasher flicks, so it's best he keep to what he's good at. I was really looking forward to The Lords Of Salem and wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but this film is a struggle to watch and try to keep up with. Believe me, there's still a little something to gain from here, like the witch-trial scenes which are probably the greatest bits of the film, the first half with Heidi and her other radio DJ's, where both combined set up for an exciting film all together. Not all is lost, but maybe the Blu-Ray special features would be a bit more entertaining than the rest of the feature itself.

(in reply to DAPPY44)
Post #: 4
RE: EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!! - 31/12/2013 9:59:48 AM   
chang

Tries desperately to shock and offend, and succeeds only in being brutally boring.

(in reply to YouWillBeUnprepared)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Lords Of Salem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI