Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 25/4/2013 11:58:33 AM   
dicky_monster

Which decent / moderate films are elevated to a higher level of quality or enjoyment for you due to their endings?

For me, I enjoyed Fallen Angels by Wong Kar Wai throughout, but I didn't think it was excelled and the pacing seemed off in places, and (fittingly) it kept me as a viewer at a distance from engaging or flat-out enjoying it to the same level that I did with Chungking Express.

But...then the ending kicked in with Michelle and Takeshi on the motorcycle, and the dialogue about feeling that closeness to someone, if only for a few minutes, and the soundtrack choice with 'Only You', and all of a sudden it totally brought together what the film was trying to say and express and left me with a big smile on my face.

I still think when I re-watch it I'll have some of the same reservations, but the ending will make me look at things in a whole new light.

Minor shout-out to T3 with the judgement day ending!

Post #: 1
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 25/4/2013 12:26:22 PM   
Hood_Man

Geoffrey Rush walking down the steps at the end of Dead Man's Chest elevated it.

(in reply to dicky_monster)
Post #: 2
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 25/4/2013 12:31:49 PM   
Rebel scum

Skeleton Key is a pretty average horror film, but it has a doozy of an twist ending.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 25/4/2013 8:29:38 PM   
sandy666

A dog and his boy has a brilliant ending. To say more would just spoil it, but if you haven't seen it yet, you really should.

Empire Strikes Back, of course.

Get Carter (UK version)

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 4
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 25/4/2013 9:04:10 PM   
vad3r

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 5
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 9:40:38 AM   
Mr Gittes

The first Saw movie. Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia, although you could say that the entire second half elevates it. Ratatouille - the rest of the movie is really good, don't get me wrong, but that ending elevates it to a masterpiece.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any at the moment. Will be posting back. It's a very, very good question.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 6
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 9:43:47 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandy666

A dog and his boy has a brilliant ending. To say more would just spoil it, but if you haven't seen it yet, you really should.

Empire Strikes Back, of course.

Get Carter (UK version)

I wouldn't really count Empire. Like Se7en and There Will Be Blood, the rest of the movie is still brilliant; it's just that the ending is its ace in the hole.

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 26/4/2013 9:44:51 AM >

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 7
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 11:57:20 AM   
dicky_monster

Saw is a good call. I haven't seen 'Alfredo Garcia, have to check it out.

Another one I thought of is A Simple Plan with Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton.

It's a decent, twisting thriller / drama for most of the runtime, but the ending is really gut-wrenching and poignant.

Also:

(big spoiler)

I love the ambiguity regarding the FBI man saying that liars cover their mouths when they speak, and then covers his mouth just before telling Hank that they have recorded several thousand of the bank notes to track - so did Hank have to burn the money?

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 8
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 12:11:01 PM   
wombathog

The Mist.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to dicky_monster)
Post #: 9
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 12:32:55 PM   
Whistler

The Mist would be a winner, but as Mr Gittes pointed out with Empire Strikes Back, the rest of the film is great too.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 10
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 12:42:28 PM   
wombathog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

The Mist would be a winner, but as Mr Gittes pointed out with Empire Strikes Back, the rest of the film is great too.

I think the rest of the film is very good but it's the ending that makes it great.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 2:17:30 PM   
spark1

'attack of the clones'-clone troopers and destroyers massing to start the war while anakin and padme are married.
bad news for the republic and the jedi.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 27/4/2013 12:32:52 PM >

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 12
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 7:37:57 PM   
AngryDude92

A BItter Sweet Life.
The majority of the film is at a very deliberate pace, the n the ending kicks in and it about 15-20 minutes of excellent action that's executed in such a way that it doesn't feel out of place.
As a result I wound up liking the film very much, dispite major reservations.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 13
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 26/4/2013 8:37:51 PM   
directorscut

The ending to The Mist definitely elevated it to a new level of crap.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 14
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 6:49:44 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 15
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 10:06:12 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Skeleton Key is a pretty average horror film, but it has a doozy of an twist ending.

Yay, this.

My choice would be LAWN DOGS. Greatest ending to an indie movie ever.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 16
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 10:58:17 AM   
Juice Terry

I would go for 'Right at Your Door', a solid, but unspectacular thriller up until the last five minutes which for me turn it from a three star film to a high four, maybe even pushing five star film.

Better call Saul

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 17
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 4:25:53 PM   
Mr Gittes

Well, I suppose Return Of The Jedi is a good example. If the last act hadn't been so bloody good, then it would've been considered The Phantom Menace of its time...

...alright, maybe not that bad. But pretty bad.

(in reply to Juice Terry)
Post #: 18
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 5:19:26 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Yep,the Ewok party certainly elevated that film.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 19
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 5:36:44 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Oh, god, don't remind me *shudder*
But let's face it, the throne room sequence is really what I'm talking about here.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 20
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 5:57:08 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?

Like Marcia Gay Harden's character it was like Darabont slamming you in the face repeatedly with a sledgehammer to make his point.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 21
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 6:26:54 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Oh, god, don't remind me *shudder*
But let's face it, the throne room sequence is really what I'm talking about here.

If you're shuddering at anything, it should be this.

How would Luke even know what he looked like? I can't decide if it's worse than changing guns to walkie talkies in ET.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 22
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 6:57:07 PM   
directorscut

Much, much worse.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 23
RE: Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) - 27/4/2013 8:17:23 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

Much, much worse.

Agreed. As stupid as the walkie-talkie move was, at least Spielberg saw the error of his ways and changed it back for the blu-ray. Oh, if only Lucas would do the same. How these guys are "best friends" I'll never know.

Anyway, we're getting off topic here, so I'll throw out another elevating ending that springs to mind; Last Of The Mohicans.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Endings that elevate films... (there will be spoilers) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI