Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash - 24/4/2013 8:24:02 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 24/4/2013 8:24:02 PM   
BelfastBoy

Zach Braff wants my money? Has he got none of his own? Did he not get paid for all those years on a highly successful TV show? If he wants final cut privileges and no compromises, he should maybe get the ball rolling and put up some of his own money.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 25/4/2013 9:37:13 AM   
Osric

Totally agree. How ridiculously much was he making per episode in the later seasons of scrubs? How ridiculously much is he still making from scrubs being in syndication all around the world. I bet he's personally got a bigger fortune now than whoever the dude was the funded garden state. Kickstarter is a new paradigm all right. It's a new paradigm for people who want to spend other people's money so they don't have to risk their own.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 3
Easy there Haters - 25/4/2013 10:11:38 AM   
Moronifighter

Matter of fact Braff IS using a large chunk of his own money tp fund it, $2 million is nowhere near enough to produce, advertise and distribute a film internationally, so I have nothing against him asking for some help of the fans and giving something back in return, (Backers actually get some really cool stuff related to the film or from Braff himself)

Post #: 4
RE: Easy there Haters - 25/4/2013 10:28:58 AM   
Osric

He doesn't need to market and distribute it though. That's what things like the AFM, EFM, TIFF and Cannes are for - to sell your movie once it's made. He'd easily get distribution for the finished film. All he needs to do is get it made in the first place, and that script doesn't sound like it's expensive, whether or not some of it happens at comiccon. There are filmmakers out there who literally have no money. It's offensive and disingenuous that someone with a personal fortune like Braff is claiming he needs money in the same way.

(in reply to Moronifighter)
Post #: 5
RE: Easy there Haters - 25/4/2013 11:07:48 AM   
vaxes

I'm sorry BelfastBoy & Osric but neither of you know the state of his personal finances, as Moronifighter said he is putting up alot of his own money.

It's not like its Brad Pitt or Tom Cruse e.t.c. asking for money. if you have a look he hasn't really done a lot since scrubs, why should he take a risk at bankruptcy when he can do something like this.

Look at the Veronica Mars one, they already have a distribution deal with Warners.

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 6
RE: Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash - 25/4/2013 11:52:46 AM   
MonsterCat

Where was all this negativity when the Veronica Mars Kickstarter thing happened? And I'm pretty sure that Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell are hardly strapped for cash themselves.

I wish him luck with it. For all it's flaws and slightly annoying moments of forced kookiness, I was quite charmed by Garden State.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 7
RE: Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash - 25/4/2013 12:03:33 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Where was all this negativity when the Veronica Mars Kickstarter thing happened? And I'm pretty sure that Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell are hardly strapped for cash themselves.

I wish him luck with it. For all it's flaws and slightly annoying moments of forced kookiness, I was quite charmed by Garden State.

Yeah this, although I really liked Garden State.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 8
Great idea! - 25/4/2013 12:43:01 PM   
Cookiedough

I think this is a great idea. He's not forcing anyone's hand, he's found an inventive and accessible way of sharing the creative process with people and, as mentioned on here already, you do see a return on your investment (should you wish to invest). I'm sure Mr Braff knows a lot of people who have the collateral and are happy to support, and they in turn know others, so hopefully it'll have a catch-fire effect. I loved the fresh and original feel of Garden State and so many 2nd time directors' efforts get watered down by studio interference. I hope this means he can produce something just as fresh and original and not have to compromise his vision. Go, Zach Braff, go!

Post #: 9
- 25/4/2013 1:25:41 PM   
Filmfan 2

This is quite spooky. I was just thinking about why Braff hasn't yet made a follow-up to Garden State just yesterday, and then I visit Empire and find this.

Post #: 10
RE: Easy there Haters - 25/4/2013 11:35:02 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: vaxes

I'm sorry BelfastBoy & Osric but neither of you know the state of his personal finances, as Moronifighter said he is putting up alot of his own money.

It's not like its Brad Pitt or Tom Cruse e.t.c. asking for money. if you have a look he hasn't really done a lot since scrubs, why should he take a risk at bankruptcy when he can do something like this.

Look at the Veronica Mars one, they already have a distribution deal with Warners.

I imagine Zach has decent enough net worth - internet speculation estimates it to be somewhere around $22m. His 2007 Scrubs salary was reported to be $350k per episode. I appreciate that these figures could be way off, but unless he's totally screwed up somewhere, he should be very wealthy indeed. So fair enough if he's putting up some of his own money, but he could probably dig a bit deeper and not miss it as much as the people he's appealing to for funding.

This is coming from a big fan of Garden State, by the way.

(in reply to vaxes)
Post #: 11
RE: Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash - 26/4/2013 11:36:28 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Well I imagine Braff is significantly richer than the other two as the other two's show failed.

The key difference here is that people who pledged $35 for the Veronica Mars movie get a copy of the movie.

If you pledge to support Braff's effort you don't. He expects you to pay again to get a copy of it.

Greedy (annoying) bastard.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 12
RE: Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash - 27/4/2013 2:29:51 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I think the Kickstarter idea is kind of interesting in a way. I love Garden State, and I honestly think if I put in money I'd feel pretty chuffed I was a part of getting a sequel to a film I love. Hell I'll put in money just to secure another cameo from Jim Parsons

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Now Zach Braff Wants Your Cash Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI