Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

So What St George's Day films would you pick?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> So What St George's Day films would you pick? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So What St George's Day films would you pick? - 24/4/2013 1:05:09 PM   
Professor Dent

England likes to overlook St George's Day for various reasons, but I would have thought Channel 5 could make a thing of celebrating it, just to be quirky.

But what films would you choose? It's tricky, because we are looking at things that are English rather than British. So no Battle of Britain, even though the battle took place over the south of England, Kent to be precise, and seemed to have lots of posh fellas.

Come to think of it, most of these UK films are set in England aren't they? As opposed to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. From Great Expectations to Quadrophenia. A couple like The 39 Steps and Trainspotting (and Skyfall even) manage England AND Scotland

I suppose Michael Caine is the patron saint of English cinema. Alfie, The Italian Job and Get Carter are all very English, but there's the distinction of north and south with the latter, mostly being set in Newcastle, you also have more extreme class divisions in England, making it harder to get a representative movie.

The not very great film Alexander the Great might round off the day, though it rarely gets a TV showing these days.
Post #: 1
RE: So What St George's Day films would you pick? - 24/4/2013 1:09:10 PM   
elab49

I don't think setting a film in a particular town by itself makes it a film of that part of Britain though - if they're British, so is the film. And few are issues of identity that would make that the point.

One I think that, probably very much looks at a sense of Englishness, even though there is a more general love of country, might be A Canterbury Tale. If you were looking at the notion of national identity on a national day, you couldn't really do much better.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Professor Dent)
Post #: 2
RE: So What St George's Day films would you pick? - 24/4/2013 3:09:52 PM   
AxlReznor

Surely any James Bond movie will be the best to watch for people wanting to have a bit of patriotic pride in the country. It's the British secret service, but it's always, "For England, James", so it's obvious where his priorities lie.

For other ideas though, I'd say The Prestige, V For Vendetta, The King's Speech, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Shaun Of The Dead, This Is England (if you're a racist), or Elizabeth.

And as April 23rd is also the anniversary of both the birth and death of one of England's greatest writers (William Shakespeare), then any Shakespeare adaptation from anywhere around the world would also be pretty appropriate.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: So What St George's Day films would you pick? - 24/4/2013 10:01:38 PM   
sandy666

King Henry V is probably the best if you are going for something patriotic. Brilliant speeches -

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead."

Any movies based on works by C.S Lewis, Lewis Carrol or J.R.R Tolkein.

An Ealing Comedy, Carry On film or Monty Python & Holy Grail.

Excalibur

Reign of Fire if you want dragons

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 4
RE: So What St George's Day films would you pick? - 26/4/2013 12:57:51 PM   
Timon

Definitely not this. It's rubbish.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 5
RE: So What St George's Day films would you pick? - 26/4/2013 1:05:47 PM   
AxlReznor

Has anybody seen the full list of places things George is the patron saint of? Could have been used an excuse to watch a lot of world cinema. And be nice to a syphilitic person.

Greek and Palestinian films would almost be more appropriate than English ones, considering his parents were Greek and he was born in Palestine.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> So What St George's Day films would you pick? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI